• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Kotaku is really going off the rails regarding Nintendo lately

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreese

Koopa
Banned
1. Linking and promoting Metroid Dread piracy on their website

2. Stupid takes on Samus

That's not even mentioning what Shrier has been doing in his spare time at Bloomberg since leaving Kotaku.

They know the Nintendo fan base on Twitter will engage with and share their content if provoked. It’s gross, but it makes sense.

I'll say this when it comes to Kotaku and clickbaity articles I suggest not giving them attention because them making terrible articles like these are what stirrup clicks for them. So personally I suggest ignoring them because there are better outlets that have well-written articles like Waypoint for example.

Kotaku is a former shell of itself and it's better if we ignore them instead of giving them the attention they want.

Any engagement drives ad revenue, so it's best to not give them the publicity or the clicks. They're bad takes that are completely on purpose. Didn't basically their whole journalism team leave a while ago? Not surprised that their content has gotten worse since then.

Ever since the new EiC took over its become a crappy hot takes churn fest. Generate outrage, get clicks, drive up ad revenue... guess it works... :(

Not regarding Nintendo but in general.
Some of the stuff was just badly worded and some was overreaction by the general publicj but their core staff left when Totilo left
and it feels more than ever like a overgrown blog with SEO hottakes, which is truly sad.

Nothing to get worked over tbh, since these are just some bad takes, that can be ignored. I would rather
read some other outlets

Since leaving Kotaku Jason Shrier and Bloomberg have reported:

• Switch was a 4k Oled released for holidays, dissapointing fans weaks later who found out it was only an OLED without 4 k (Immediately denied by Nintendo in public statement)
  • Claimed Switch new screen, sound, stand and double the memory only cost Nintendo $10 to manufacture (Immediately denied by Nintendo in public statement)
  • Claimed Nintendo was lying about 4K days before OLED's launch and Zynga was one of the developers with devkits (Immediately denied by Zynga and Nintendo)

It's not just Kotaku going against them right now, various outlets have been advocating playing their games on PC or saying to buy/wait for the pc versions of muliplat games.

As a non American I'll possibly upset some people by saying this but to me it definitely seemed to increased since Sony went "Western" now it could just be because the longer time goes on the worse the switch appears next to cutting edge technology and not American xenophobia but I fear instead it's just because Nintendo are now the sole "other". With Microsoft and Sony catering to them they feel emboldened in trying to change or failing that drive off Nintendo and so they will pick at and nag over the smallest of issues all while trying to limit 3rd party sales on switch and say it's okay to steal first party games.

Since leaving Kotaku Jason Shrier and Bloomberg have reported

• Switch was a 4k Oled released for holidays, dissapointing fans weaks later who found out it was only an OLED without 4 k
  • Immediately denied by Nintendo
  • Claimed Switch new screen, sound, stand and double the memory only cost Nintendo $10 to manufacture
  • Immediately denied by Nintendo in public statement
  • Claimed Nintendo was lying about 4K days before OLED's launch and Zynga was one of the developers with devkits
  • Immediately denied by Zynga and Nintendo
I don't think Schreier was the reporter on any of this?

Since leaving Kotaku Jason Shrier and Bloomberg have reported

• Switch was a 4k Oled released for holidays, dissapointing fans weaks later who found out it was only an OLED without 4 k
  • Immediately denied by Nintendo
  • Claimed Switch new screen, sound, stand and double the memory only cost Nintendo $10 to manufacture
  • Immediately denied by Nintendo in public statement
  • Claimed Nintendo was lying about 4K days before OLED's launch and Zynga was one of the developers with devkits
  • Immediately denied by Zynga and Nintendo

Jason wasn't a reporter on any of this plus the Kotaku articles are not in any way similar to what you posted.

Since leaving Kotaku Jason Shrier and Bloomberg have reported:

• Switch was a 4k Oled released for holidays, dissapointing fans weaks later who found out it was only an OLED without 4 k (Immediately denied by Nintendo in public statement)
  • Claimed Switch new screen, sound, stand and double the memory only cost Nintendo $10 to manufacture (Immediately denied by Nintendo in public statement)
  • Claimed Nintendo was lying about 4K days before OLED's launch and Zynga was one of the developers with devkits (Immediately denied by Zynga and Nintendo)
That wasn't Schreier at all bust mostly Takashi Mochizuki.
And again, Kotaku in general took a dive lately. Heck G/O Media overall took one.

That wasn't Schreier at all bust mostly Takashi Mochizuki.
And again, Kotaku in general took a dive lately. Heck G/O Media overall took one.
I never claimed it was. Simply that Shrier was involved in both Kotaku and Bloomberg and pointing out that both have been writing oddly aggressive hit pieces towards Nintendo lately, or making claims that have either not come true, or they have no evidence to qualify.

The timing seems odd as well.

Right before Switch's announcement, "It's gonna be 4K guys, don't be dissapointed when it isn't"
The week Dread launches, "Hey guys check this out, you can pirate the game at this link without having to pay"

Whether or not the two are related, Jason Shrier being the common theme, both need to be called out.

Last edited:
I never claimed it was. Simply that Shrier was involved in both Kotaku and Bloomberg and pointing out that both have been writing oddly aggressive hit pieces towards Nintendo lately, or making claims that have either not come true, or they have no evidence to qualify.

Right before Switch's announcement, "It's gonna be 4K guys, don't be dissapointed when it isn't"
The week Dread launches, "Hey guys check this out, you can pirate the game at this link without having to pay"

Whether or not the two are related, Jason Shrier being the common theme, both need to be called out.
Hell of a stretch.

Again, I don't like Schreier at all. But this is you trying to link him to things he has absolutely nothing to do with.

Whether or not the two are related or not, Jason Shrier being the common theme, both need to be called out.
That's a very thin connection. Also only two of those Bloomberg reports are not true.

Schrier has nothing to do with this, and it's frankly kinda weird that you're trying to paint him as this connection.

mkcd.gif
Please stop giving that awful website attention

I've always been curious how people interact with Kotaku and it's like. It's good that people are using Kotaku as a lens for how they want to interact with journalism, because:

A majority if not 90% of news outlets are inconsistent and biased.

Kotaku shows this more because Games Journalism, from what I've read, is wack. There's no streak of quality for people to rightfully linger on.

It's a weird correlation to make, IMO; pointing out Scheirer makes the posts read like there's a connection. You definitely don't want to veer towards "The Media is Anti-Nintendo," which is not a easy blanket statement to make.

Don't write "Jason Shrier and Bloomberg have reported" when Schreier didn't report on any of these things. It implies that Jason wrote those or was somewhat involved with them, no matter your intention. Jason wrote many stories at Bolomberg as well as Kotaku about Behind the Scene stuff, Labour abuse and some Leaks. A lot about the crunch stories and bad management at CDPR was done by Jason.
Also reiterating on sketchy sources about a potential hardware leak is by all acounts not "oddly aggressive hit pieces".

The most known article lately by Kotaku was the one where they called a bad mobile cash grab from a 2K IP shitty. Which got a lot of overreactions if you ask me, but as you can see, they shit on everyone, because it generates clicks.

So if we wanna criticize someone or call someone out, let's all be fair, okay?

Also likening Takashi Mochizuki's tech reporting to "hit pieces" designed to falsely get people's hopes up is quite frankly naive and childish.

The whole Switch 4K rumors actually do have plenty of evidence for it. There is a lot of reason to believe its coming in 2022-2023. Of course, information gets muddled here and there. But claims from 11 separate developers is about as good as it gets, you can't really "lie" about that as a journalist. The whole Switch 4k thing really isn't a hitpiece.

Kotaku had assembled some of the best game writers around 2-3 years ago, but their new management came and totally f-ed everything up, now their ex-staff are essentially the mainstream game press....really sad when you look back on how that team was so stacked.

Jason Schreier (Bloomberg)
Cecilia D'Anastasio (Wired)
Stephen Totilo (Axios)
Gita Jackson (Vice/Motherboard)
Josh Riveria (Polygon)
Heather Alexandra (works for Double Fine now)
Tim Rogers (umm himself...via Action Button)

I feel like Kotaku has been that way for some time. Sadly, these Articles are what get the MOST attention and spread, which is what they want. It's nasty but it works for them as clicks and engagement are their main concern.

Kotaku had assembled some of the best game writers around 2-3 years ago, but their new management came and totally f-ed everything up, now their ex-staff are essentially the mainstream game press....really sad when you look back on how that team was so stacked.

Jason Schreier (Bloomberg)
Cecilia D'Anastasio (Wired)
Stephen Totilo (Axios)
Gita Jackson (Vice/Motherboard)
Josh Riveria (Polygon)
Heather Alexandra (works for Double Fine now)
Tim Rogers (umm himself...via Action Button)

Wow, reading this really puts it in perspective, as the argument can be made that a fair few folk out there dismiss Kotaku as always having been terrible.

Howdy! Two articles aren't really a pattern make, and we also have a couple of threads discussing said articles already.
One last thing, please don't use the "StarTopic" prefix for threads like this. I've gone ahead and removed it, so there's no harm done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom