• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Kojima's Outer Heaven - The Criterion Closet

Onibaba, Kwaidan and Hara-Kiri are all genre defining masterpieces, so it's great to see Kojima putting them on his list.

Ironically enough, one of Kobiyashi's trademarks is his absolutely masterful control of where to place a camera for a shot: his films are jam packed with scenes that are just perfectly framed and blocked, with camera movement perfectly aligning with the characters.

Playing MGS V on the other hand, was like watching a home video shot by a drunken sailor. I get that Kojima was trying to go for no cuts and one takes, but the majority of the cutscenes in that game felt awkwardly staged, awkwardly filmed, and like there was a constant wobbliness due to the camera's inability to keep steady.

I never played Death Stranding, hopefully Kojima studied Kobiyashi's cinematography a bit closer for that one...

I've been waiting for this video ever since it was teased by Criterion some months ago. It did not disappoint.

I've seen High and Low, Harakiri, Kwaidan, and Woman in the Dunes and I highly recommend all of them.

I've been meaning to watch High and Low since hearing Michael Cera rave about it on the Criterion Channel. Wish I had the time. Maybe I need a movie vacation.

Back
Top Bottom