• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Kid Icarus and why I feel like there's less of a chance of seeing another one anytime soon after TOTK

Kreese

Koopa
Banned
I realize Uprising is a completely different genre than TOTK but I can help but feel the sky islands in TOTK and even Links aerial ambitions are heavily inspired by Kid Icarus, which is awesome for TOTK and adds an incredible sense of magic and verticality to the Zelda formula, but I feel like Nintendo is kind of consolidating their franchises in that the smaller guys are just getting lumped into larger franchises like Mario Kart (see the Fzero tracks) and Zelda.

Come to think of it, I could be wrong but I believe the last time we saw Jet Ski's from Nintendo was not in Wave Race but in Wii Sports Resort.

Kid-Icarus-Uprising-Sequel-Difficult-1.jpg

I beat the game and didn't think of Kid Icarus once, despite playing through uprising two months ago. Maybe you're right but I don't think it would matter for the future of Kid Icarus since the Nes game and Uprising are so completely unlike Totk or Botw.

I still say Kid Icarus can take up the OOT-style Zelda mantle. Linear like OOT, but with more emphasis on story and combat rather than puzzle solving and a more minimalist approach to story telling.

I still say Kid Icarus can take up the OOT-style Zelda mantle. Linear like OOT, but with more emphasis on story and combat rather than puzzle solving and a more minimalist approach to story telling.
Oot was not linear. Has the term linear in games discourse devolved so much as to mean "not open world" now lol?

I meant that there would be more structure with how you proceed in the game vs. being completely open ended.
I know what you mean but linear doesn't mean "more structured than open world" it means there is a defined order of levels or events in a game. Oot is anything but that given that there are over a dozen possible orders in which to do its temples. Oot isn't open world and is quite structured but it is definitely also nonlinear.

Last edited:
First Paper Mario, then Star Tropics and Murasame Castle (???), now Kid Icarus. Crazy how people stan for open world Zelda because they make you use your imagination but they can’t imagine an open world Zelda that isn’t grindy and doesn’t give you all of your abilities in the tutorial

The first Kid Icarus games didn’t really stand out from the various other action platformers out there, besides maybe the setting and that reverse difficulty curve. Between them and Uprising, the main idea people had in terms of a revival would be that it will fill their action game slot, basically God of War for kids. Uprising did end up being a pure action game but in a unique way, it’s part rail shooter, part third person, part looter and has a multiplayer component as well. With only three games and two of them being very old you can barely build an identity, while the early ones did give you new powers they weren’t adventure games so there was never the prospect of it scratching the same itch as Zelda. Uprising was the most unique and successful one so a future game in the series could just build upon that on a console that isn’t a 3DS. Its unique structure is honestly a perfect balance between arcade and console design sensibilities and that made me go back to it more than any traditional “character action game” ever did, so building upon Uprising wouldn’t really clash with any game by Nintendo or their partners, not even Star Fox

I'm not seeing a connection. KI Uprising was made concurrently with Skyward Sword so the Zelda team was already thinking about aerial ambitions long before Tears of the Kingdom.

Kid Icarus also plays completely different than Zelda. KI is an on rails shooter with some more open (but still very linear) ground based sections. I don't think Nintendo would reject doing a new KI simply because it happens to take place in the sky like the most recent Zelda game.

Kid Icarus also plays completely different than Zelda. KI is an on rails shooter with some more open (but still very linear) ground based sections. I don't think Nintendo would reject doing a new KI simply because it happens to take place in the sky like the most recent Zelda game.

So much this.

Seriously, KIU is a completely different gameplay than Zelda, how is TotK going to kill a completely different game that plays completely different?

I'm not that far in (I'm on the ground and got the paraglider) but TotK feels quite linear to me so far.

Edit - or rather not that open ended, it's not like you can head for the final boss ASAP

Oh s**t Tears of the Kingdom killed Pilotwings :(

...seriously though, aside from maybe the general theming, I think TotK and KIU are very different games, don't really see the overlap.

Not really seeing it, OP. Geometric floating ruins left behind by ancient races are pretty common in video games (particularly JRPGs), I think Uprising being a largely on-rails shooter means it’s still in the genre gap left clear by Starfox and Sin & Punishment.

Kid Icarus Uprising remaster is probably happening anyway.

There's probably room for a more "classic" 2D game based on it as well.

Still think is was a big missed opportunity to not make a Kid Icarus DLC for Immortals: Fenyx Rising.

Nintendo's not "consolidating" franchises, they just like referencing their other games. Some minor aesthetic similarities is not the reason there hasn't been a new Kid Icarus since Uprising.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong I loved me some KI and hope to see it back one day.

I do feel Nintendo is consolidating their franchises now though, or at least using inspiration of their past franchises to bolster their mainline franchises like Fzero in Mario Kart.

I guess you can also say there's a Skyward Sword influence in there as well. Nintendo really loves their sky backdrops and I love me some Nintendo sky backdrops.

That doesn't make any sense. Kid Icarus Uprising and New Zeldas are nothing alike. Kirby and Yoshi games have more similarities.
Heck.. Xenoblade has probably way more similarities with BotW and, those 2 are still nothing alike either.

Or, maybe you're right and Mario Odyssey 2 was cancelled cuz it was too similar to Kirby Forgotten Land. Wow, I'm gonna miss mario.

I doubt Zelda has any affect on the state of Kid Icarus. Kid Icarus will be made if some high ranking producer or director at Nintendo wants to do one. Unfortunately no one has wanted to do anything with the series as of late.

I do feel Nintendo is consolidating their franchises now though
Nothing about the sky islands in Zelda is particularly evocative of Kid Icarus.

The F-Zero tracks in Mario Kart are homages. F-Zero wasn’t getting a new entry regardless of Mario Kart had those tracks.

Sorry, but this thread topic is utterly baseless.

See below, we can also include completely open ended open world games as 'quite linear' too:
It’s not one or the other. I’m merely saying the story is more structured and linear than I expected and feels more linear than BOTW. Still obviously an open world game with lots of freedom.

Kid Icarus need a series producer to aim for a new Kid Icarus game, the arial combat/gameplay of Tears of the Kingdom will not afect the future of the franchise

I dunno, that's like saying Kid Icarus Uprising being mostly a rail shooter meant that Star Fox games couldn't be made anymore. Or that since it has on foot stuff too, Sin & Punishment 2 preceeding it negated the need for KI:U. As we know, Star Fox got another shot later, and S&P2 came out three years earlier but didn't impact KI:U's direction in gameplay. Does Nintendo need three rail shooter franchises? Probably not. All three seem dead now anyway, outside of ports and potential remasters.

I got the impression Sakurai intended Kid Icarus Uprising to be a one-and-done kind of deal. It feels like several games mashed into one. I honestly don't know if it needs a sequel, and even if it got one, would it be anywhere near as good if he wasn't making it? Uprising is as appealing as it is because

Sakurai's fingerprints are all over it, but he had a rough time making it and doesn't seem interested in returning to it, if his interviews are any indication.
We'll probably get a remaster, and that'll be great, but Kid Icarus was never a huge franchise and it's honestly impressive Uprising happened at all. It'd be like Nintendo having a star developer making a new Mach Rider or something. It's neat to see a revival once in a while, but it doesn't mean said revival needs to become a continuous series.

Back
Top Bottom