• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Music Kavinsky, the grandfather of modern Synthwave music, releases first new song in over 8 years.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
For those of you who somehow don't remember him. I just gotta link to the opening for a certain movie.

Drive was a huge deal back when it came out, mainly because of it's retro-inspired soundtrack. With the opening theme by Kavinsky becoming one of it's most famous elements.
One of the people that watched it back then was a certain Jonatan Söderström. Who would go on to create the even bigger video game known as Hotline Miami. Which similarly licensed out 80's-esque synth music from other early acts of the time such as M.O.O.N. and Scattle.
Leading to the proper creation of Synthwave as a genre.

Now that the backstory is out of the way, here's what happened to Kavinsky.
Despite the aforementioned popularity of Drive/Hotline Miami. He only dropped one proper album + EP after the release of them, before promptly disappearing into the shadows.

Until now, that is.

Word is that this is the first single from his next proper album, entitled "Reborn". Though it's unknown when the rest of the tracks will get released.

It’s a nice single, but I feel like I need to hear it in context of the album to really appreciate it. It ends rather weird, with just a simple fade out where you would expect the song to go all out with cool synths and shit. I guess it’s not really that much of a surprise since it was co-produced by Gaspard Augé (of Justice) who also did this a couple times on his recent album.

Speaking as someone who went through a hardcore synthwave period:

The genre desperately desperately needs to move on from the constant 80s nostalgia, aesthetic and references. Like, yes, it got popular as a retro-revival of 80s synth tropes, but even if you keep the 808s and synth modules, there needs to be more to it than just "Remember the 80s???" Much like guitar, bass and drums moved on from 50's rockabilly and blues, you can keep the sweeping synth sounds and gated drums while still taking the genre to new places and creating a new sound and aesthetic.

It's not a bad song, but it's not doing anything that hasn't already been done in synthwave already...

This reminds me I want to start work on a synthwave ST here in The Roost so we can promote all kinds of new artists that are trending the scene as well as the major drops of the greats

nice. definitely sounds like more of a teaser for the album but im excited

Back
Top Bottom