• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Logiart Grimoire announced for Nintendo Switch and Steam, developed by Jupiter (out now!)

Have you noticed it deactivates by default that assist option which obscures the already completed numbers?

I was failing 10x10 puzzles because of this. Luckily, it still gives you the no assists badge when activated, even if I feel guilty lol
i saw that in the settings but it was on by default. i know some people don't like it and want to have the experience be as close as possible to solving a picross puzzle on paper but i need to have it on. good tho that jupiter added the option to turn it off.

i saw that in the settings but it was on by default. i know some people don't like it and want to have the experience be as close as possible to solving a picross puzzle on paper but i need to have it on. good tho that jupiter added the option to turn it off.
Uh, so I deactivated it along with the other assist options, without knowing exactly what it was for.

The I was playing and was like: "Oh no no"

a very positive review from nwr

Nintendo World Report (9/10):
Picross Logiart Grimoire is not a full-on replacement for Jupiter’s past Picross S games, but it’s a wonderful addition to their library. If you’ve been put off by the presentation of Picross S, this might be the entry to bring you back to Jupiter’s delightful world of nonogram magic. If you’re like me, a loyal soldier who shows up for every single one of these Picross games no matter what, the new presentation might seem like it’s just the same old with a new wizard hat, but this is one of the best Picross games that Jupiter has put out, largely because it feels new and has a nice sense of progression.

Pros
  • Hundreds of new Picross puzzles
  • New presentation and aesthetic
  • Novel new fusion mechanic

Cons
  • No Mega Picross

Yeah, the difficult is higher on this one, I've now clocked 40 min in the 20 x 15 I mentioned earlier (and still haven't finished it)

another picross game i play (meow tower) recently got a huge update so i was busy with that one, will get back to this one tomorrow. seeing the comments about the high difficulty is very good news tho, a criticism i had with the recent S games was the decreased difficulty.

I just realized that this game has seven different songs to choose from…but the game only ever plays two of those songs at a time—one for the menu, and one for puzzles. Kinda disappointing that you can’t set different music for different modes like you can in the Picross S games, or at least provide an option to randomize the music… As is, I’m just never going to hear those other five songs while playing because I’m not gonna go in and change my music settings regularly. It’s just a shame that they put the effort into making seven different songs (some of which are remixes of Picross S music!) yet pretty much no one is going to actually hear them all while playing.

I just realized that this game has seven different songs to choose from…but the game only ever plays two of those songs at a time—one for the menu, and one for puzzles. Kinda disappointing that you can’t set different music for different modes like you can in the Picross S games, or at least provide an option to randomize the music… As is, I’m just never going to hear those other five songs while playing because I’m not gonna go in and change my music settings regularly. It’s just a shame that they put the effort into making seven different songs (some of which are remixes of Picross S music!) yet pretty much no one is going to actually hear them all while playing.
yeah it's a bit weird. the additional songs were stretch goals in the kickstarter campaign and it's a shame most people are simply never going to hear them. there has to be a better way to mix up the music people will hear while playing the game. maybe have different music for puzzles in different categories?

yeah it's a bit weird. the additional songs were stretch goals in the kickstarter campaign and it's a shame most people are simply never going to hear them. there has to be a better way to mix up the music people will hear while playing the game. maybe have different music for puzzles in different categories?
Yeah, that’s what I suggested, like how the Picross S games play different music for normal Picross, Mega Picross, Color Picross, and Clip Picross modes. While it’s all just normal Picross in LogiartGrimoire, there are still different modes (Main Mode, Emil’s Logiart Warehouse, and Mysterious Letter) that could play different music for their puzzles at the very least. Or just give us a shuffle music option!

Something definitely clicked for me about this game's whole magical fusion gimmick ever since I got hooked on Infinite Craft for several long nights in a row, I realized it's basically the same style of extended alchemy toy box as a meta structure for this version of picross. It seemed like such an unnecessary piece of busywork latched on top of a classic game, but with the added context I can see the appeal. Pretty much the one negative notion I had about this game now alleviated.

Also is anyone else a little bothered how quickly the Switch version seemed to come out? Feels like it could've been a KS option in hindsight with both launches being so close together.

Bit late replying but that looks like a Betta fish, if I was guessing.

Check out these beauties
Hah oh yes that must be it, I don't think I've ever seen full red ones before, I'm so used to them being a mix of blue and purple.

one thing i'm liking here is that early in the game you may get a 20x15 puzzle, and then hours later you're still getting 5x5 and 10x10 puzzles. this is a nice change compared to past picross game where you only get hard puzzles in late game.

one thing i'm liking here is that early in the game you may get a 20x15 puzzle, and then hours later you're still getting 5x5 and 10x10 puzzles. this is a nice change compared to past picross game where you only get hard puzzles in late game.
Well technically, you could jump between small and big puzzles at your leisure in past games.

I've already completed 2 categories, 50 puzzles left to complete the main mode.

Well technically, you could jump between small and big puzzles at your leisure in past games.

I've already completed 2 categories, 50 puzzles left to complete the main mode.
well yeah technically but there was no incentive to do that and keep things fresh for yourself, like most puzzle games most people would just go about finishing them in order. but here you're forced to do it.

Also is anyone else a little bothered how quickly the Switch version seemed to come out? Feels like it could've been a KS option in hindsight with both launches being so close together.
initially i had the same thought. it's clear that both versions were developed simultaneously and if they had let the backers pay to get a switch code they could have raised a lot more money. also there was no reason to launch the switch version later than the 1.0 steam release

but, and this is just speculation on my part, seeing how they had planned to change the game's title on switch and make it part of the picross series it makes more sense why they did things that way. we already know nintendo is not playing nice with jupiter and has passed on multiple pitches from them for new picross projects. while jupiter can freely use the picross name for switch games i don't think they wanted to test nintendo and see their reaction by using their IP in a kickstarter campaign.

they probably weighed their option and came to the conclusion that using the picross name for the switch version is better for them than having it as part of the kickstarter and launching both versions with the same name. if we assume this is true, it makes sense that they released the switch version a little later cuz they probably didn't want to launch the same game on two different platforms on the same day under two different titles.

Last edited:
I’m sure Jupiter communicated with Nintendo about LogiartGrimoire’s PC release and Kickstarter. We already know Jupiter couldn’t include other modes beyond standard nonogram puzzles, like Mega Picross, as long as they’re releasing the game on PC too because Nintendo owns those other game modes. It would also make sense, then, that Jupiter likely couldn’t include the Switch version in the Kickstarter as long as they’re using the Picross branding for it. It is Nintendo’s IP, after all.

And, again, I really don’t think there’s any reason to believe that Nintendo “isn’t playing nice” with Jupiter—passing up on pitches is a normal, expected thing that happens all the time, even internally with Nintendo’s own dev teams, and Jupiter’s pitches were for using other Nintendo IPs, which is understandably something that’s a lot less likely to be approved.

Despite that, Jupiter continues to be given special treatment—the ability to freely utilize a Nintendo IP (Picross) seemingly however they desire (so long as it’s on a Nintendo system, which is totally fair and expected) with full creative control and little to no involvement from Nintendo. This is virtually unheard of among third-party developers, but Nintendo has been kind enough to allow Jupiter to continue making Picross games entirely on their own.

They’re already giving Jupiter a luxury that other third-party developers don’t get, and Nintendo not approving all of their pitches doesn’t suddenly negate that. If Nintendo truly wasn’t “playing nice” with Jupiter, then they wouldn’t have allowed them to tack on the Picross name to LogiartGrimoire’s Switch version, nor would they continue to allow them to freely use the Picross IP in general.

If Jupiter is frustrated with the situation, then perhaps it’s their problem that they rely so heavily on a Nintendo IP that will understandably have some restrictions with it. They’re already being given essentially a free pass for one Nintendo IP, but they can’t expect to have free reign to use other Nintendo IP on top of that, nor can they expect Nintendo to allow them to use the Picross IP outside of Nintendo systems.

Like, I don’t understand what more is expected from Nintendo here. They don’t have any obligation to approve any and every use of their other IP to Jupiter at any time, even if they’ve done some crossover projects in the past, and Nintendo opting to not do so, whatever the reason may be, doesn’t mean that they’re “not playing nice” with Jupiter. I believe suggesting otherwise is pushing an unfounded narrative that may spread misinformation and make people believe that there’s bad blood between Nintendo and Jupiter when that doesn’t appear to be the case at all.

Last edited:
I’m sure Jupiter communicated with Nintendo about LogiartGrimoire’s PC release and Kickstarter. We already know Jupiter couldn’t include other modes beyond standard nonogram puzzles, like Mega Picross, as long as they’re releasing the game on PC too because Nintendo owns those other game modes. It would also make sense, then, that Jupiter likely couldn’t include the Switch version in the Kickstarter as long as they’re using the Picross branding for it. It is Nintendo’s IP, after all.

And, again, I really don’t think there’s any reason to believe that Nintendo “isn’t playing nice” with Jupiter—passing up on pitches is a normal, expected thing that happens all the time, even internally with Nintendo’s own dev teams, and Jupiter’s pitches were for using other Nintendo IPs, which is understandably something that’s a lot less likely to be approved.

Despite that, Jupiter continues to be given special treatment—the ability to freely utilize a Nintendo IP (Picross) seemingly however they desire (so long as it’s on a Nintendo system, which is totally fair and expected) with full creative control and little to no involvement from Nintendo. This is virtually unheard of among third-party developers, but Nintendo has been kind enough to allow Jupiter to continue making Picross games entirely on their own.

They’re already giving Jupiter a luxury that other third-party developers don’t get, and Nintendo not approving all of their pitches doesn’t suddenly negate that. If Nintendo truly wasn’t “playing nice” with Jupiter, then they wouldn’t have allowed them to tack on the Picross name to LogiartGrimoire’s Switch version, nor would they continue to allow them to freely use the Picross IP in general.

If Jupiter is frustrated with the situation, then perhaps it’s their problem that they rely so heavily on a Nintendo IP that will understandably have some restrictions with it. They’re already being given essentially a free pass for one Nintendo IP, but they can’t expect to have free reign to use other Nintendo IP on top of that, nor can they expect Nintendo to allow them to use the Picross IP outside of Nintendo systems.

Like, I don’t understand what more is expected from Nintendo here. They don’t have any obligation to approve any and every use of their other IP to Jupiter at any time, even if they’ve done some crossover projects in the past, and Nintendo opting to not do so, whatever the reason may be, doesn’t mean that they’re “not playing nice” with Jupiter. I believe suggesting otherwise is pushing an unfounded narrative that may spread misinformation and make people believe that there’s bad blood between Nintendo and Jupiter when that doesn’t appear to be the case at all.
i think you might have misunderstood my point, my point wasn't really about who is playing nice or who's to blame, just that in the situation that they're in it makes sense why they decided to go that route with having picross in the switch version's title and not have it be part of the kickstarter campaign.

as for the rest of your post, we all know the situation with the IP, and while it is a pretty unusual move from nintendo for whatever reason they have this relationship with jupiter where they've allowed them to freely use the picross trademark. beyond that tho, based on that recent interview it seemed clear to me that the relationship between nintendo and jupiter isn't really what it used to be. the fact that the jupiter CEO used that interview to publicly voice his grievance with them was pretty shocking, you don't usually see that in interviews with japanese devs. jupiter isn't some random dev nintendo has worked with here and there. they've had a very close relationship for more than 30 years, and actually had a hand in helping the studio's launch, and it's thanks to jupiter that this tiny IP that started as a game boy game that wasn't really that successful is still relevant today and the name has become synonymous with that type of puzzle. it seemed fair for them to feel some kinda way about the fact that nintendo has stopped working with them, publishing their games, or lending their IP when up until the 3DS generation they were very open to that. i don't think nintendo owes them anything but as a fan of both jupiter and nintendo it's sad to know nintendo is icing them out in this way. i don't even think jupiter thinks they should get special treatment or should have their pick of nintendo IP to use in their picross games, but when in the previous gen they were allowed to freely use a ton of IP in the club nintendo games, and even going back to the SNES where they made 8 whole games based on 8 different IPs, it must be frustrating for them that they can't get anything greenlit. again, this is not some random dev pitching a game to them, this is one of nintendo's oldest third party partners. i know nintendo rejects pitches from their internal and external devs all the time but let's be real, these games aren't some high budget games where nintendo has to do a lot, this is basically just letting jupiter do all the work and make some pixel art drawings based on their games. to me the fact that we don't have the nintendo equivalent of sega picross on switch is pretty sad, that's all.

Last edited:
Finished that 20 x 15 and nobody in the office even knows what a nonogram is

Me:

AOxXoA7.png

i think you might have misunderstood my point, my point wasn't really about who is playing nice or who's to blame, just that in the situation that they're in it makes sense why they decided to go that route with having picross in the switch version's title and not have it be part of the kickstarter campaign.

as for the rest of your post, we all know the situation with the IP, and while it is a pretty unusual move from nintendo for whatever reason they have this relationship with jupiter where they've allowed them to freely use the picross trademark. beyond that tho, based on that recent interview it seemed clear to me that the relationship between nintendo and jupiter isn't really what it used to be. the fact that the jupiter CEO used that interview to publicly voice his grievance with them was pretty shocking, you don't usually see that in interviews with japanese devs. jupiter isn't some random dev nintendo has worked with here and there. they've had a very close relationship for more than 30 years, and actually had a hand in helping the studio's launch, and it's thanks to them that this tiny IP that started as a game boy game that wasn't really that successful is still relevant today and the name has become synonymous with that type of puzzle. it seemed fair for them to feel some kinda way about the fact that nintendo has stopped working with them, publishing their games, or lending their IP when up until the 3DS generation they were very open to that. i don't think nintendo owes them anything but as a fan of both jupiter and nintendo it's sad to know nintendo is icing them out in this way. i don't even think jupiter thinks they should get special treatment or should have their pick of nintendo IP to use in their picross games, but when in the previous gen they were allowed to freely use a ton of IP in the club nintendo games, and even going back to the SNES where they made 8 whole games based on 8 different IPs, it must be frustrating for them that they can't get anything greenlit. again, this is not some random dev pitching a game to them, this is one of nintendo's oldest third party partners. i know nintendo rejects pitches from their internal and external devs all the time but let's be real, these games aren't some high budget games where nintendo has to do a lot, this is basically just letting jupiter do all the work and make some pixel art drawings based on their games. to me the fact that we don't have the nintendo equivalent of sega picross on switch is pretty sad, that's all.
The first paragraph of my previous post was kind of a separate thought from the rest of the post, the latter of which was specifically about the “not playing nice with” thing. I’ve just seen that line of thought being posted multiple times in Picross threads here and it always reads to me as a Nintendo vs. Jupiter thing, with Nintendo being unfair or otherwise unfriendly to Jupiter or something (which is kind of what is implied when you say “not playing nice with”), though I don’t believe that’s the case at all. Maybe that’s not how you meant it, but I’ve seen other people adopt the belief that there’s bad blood between Nintendo and Jupiter now, too, so I’m just trying to be a voice opposing that and explaining that we have no good reason to believe that. Yes, I’ve read the interview, and yes, it seems Jupiter is somewhat frustrated that they can’t do more with Nintendo like they used to…but I’m sure there are reasons for that that have nothing to do with Nintendo and Jupiter’s relationship deteriorating. I mean, you could argue that their relationship may be becoming less than it used to be by the nature of them not working as closely with Nintendo anymore, but what I’m saying is that I don’t think there’s any good reason to believe that the reason for that is due to anything specific to some Nintendo vs. Jupiter situation, but instead just a matter of Nintendo’s current overall business decisions that apply broadly. And, like, it’s not like this is even much of a new thing, either—Nintendo hasn’t published an actual paid, non-promotional Picross game since Picross DS, after all. The Nintendo-published Picross games on 3DS (except Pokémon Picross, which is more The Pokémon Company’s doing than Nintendo’s) were all exclusively available as Club/My Nintendo Rewards, and Nintendo now no longer offers software as My Nintendo rewards for Nintendo Switch like they did for 3DS in the past, and since they were already exclusively releasing 2D Picross games that way, it’s no surprise that they’re not publishing any on Switch.

Of course, I understand that being disappointing or frustrating, both to Picross fans who would like to see more Nintendo-published Picross games (like myself!) and to Jupiter themselves, but my point is that I don’t believe there are any ill intentions from Nintendo towards Jupiter behind it, it’s just how Nintendo is operating now. They’re a lot tighter on their IP usage now than they were in the late 3DS/Wii U era and early Switch era, too, and that applies across the board, not just to Jupiter. So while, personally, I’d love it if Nintendo would green light more Nintendo-published Picross games by Jupiter…ultimately I don’t think it’s that unusual or much of a big deal that it’s not happening anymore, and I certainly don’t believe that Nintendo is acting unfair or unfriendly towards Jupiter because of it. Is it sad? I mean, I wouldn’t necessarily describe it as “sad” myself—a bit disappointing, maybe—but I can understand that sentiment, sure. And regardless, voicing your own frustration with a situation like this is perfectly valid; I’ve voiced my own desire to see more Nintendo-published Picross games like that here, too, after all. So I don’t take issue with that at all, of course—just the idea that Nintendo isn’t “playing nice” with Jupiter, because I feel that’s an inaccurate or exaggerated description of the situation that could in turn make other people believe the same, so that is all I’m really talking about here. Sorry if there’s been misunderstandings beyond that.

25 puzzles to go in the main mode, but there are some huge beasts among them, so...

I don't know if I particularly like 40x30 puzzle. On one hand, it's very different from regular ones because you know it will take a lot of time and slows things sensibly. On the other hand there's nothing like when you complete one of these giants.

Finished one of the 40x30 Kickstarter puzzles. Took me close to 2 hours but what an accomplishment that was.

But sheesh, I had to move closer to the TV. At least they can't get much bigger, realistically. I suppose they could get wider, because there are still borders down the sides, but please don't Jupiter.

Finished one of the 40x30 Kickstarter puzzles. Took me close to 2 hours but what an accomplishment that was.

But sheesh, I had to move closer to the TV. At least they can't get much bigger, realistically. I suppose they could get wider, because there are still borders down the sides, but please don't Jupiter.
40x30 is the largest puzzle size in the game

I meant in future releases.
in that case i can't see them going higher either, if they still want the games to remain playable on switch / switch 2 / steam deck displays.

...unless they want to bring back the zoom feature from picross ds.

Back
Top Bottom