• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News John Carpenter (director of Halloween and They Live; gamer) wants to compose for a video game again.

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
from a recent interview from the av club, it has the usual discussion points about his interest in gaming (apprentlly he hasn't heard of elden ring. šŸ¤”) but the big thing is this part.
AVC: Have you ever considered writing a soundtrack for a game?

JC:
If somebody asked me, I sure would. But no oneā€™s asked!
notably, he has composed for games before. doing the soundtrack for Sentinel Returns.

reportedly it was only recorded in a day.
I was shooting a movie [1998ā€™s Vampires] in New Mexico and they asked me to do the music. I went to a studio one Sunday, my day off, and just knocked out something and gave it to them. They seemed happy, so, fine. I never saw the game. Nobody told me how it was, I donā€™t know anything. No one tells me anything!

in general, his sole focus nowadays is on composing. with the "lost themes" trilogy being the big one.

it feels like the window of opportunity for him to work on a video game again has been getting shorter each passing year, so hopefully someone (annapurna is probably the most likely publisher to get in contact with him.) manages to bring him on-board a project.

Thatā€™s awesome, one hell of a underrated director. Heā€™s made so many awesome movies and composed the scores in them. So many classics from this man.

He'd be perfect for a Fusion remake.
He does not strike me like one for remaking scores, and you cant make a fusion remake and
completly throw out the original score. and having listened to hist rcords whenthey get releasedā€¦
i also dont see a whole soundtrack, with diverse styles and moods.
what i could see is him providing a handfull of tracks to a new metroid game.

I think he also recently said he's willing to finally make a new movie too. My man finally got tired of playing Assassin's Creed games.

OP is a coward for not listing Carpenterā€™s entire filmography through at least 1988 in the thread title.

(on topic: Let the man work! Heā€™s earned it.)

OP is a coward for not listing Carpenterā€™s entire filmography through at least 1988 in the thread title.
Nah, bring it all the way up to 2001 to include Ghosts of Mars. That's good camp.

We don't talk about The Ward. Everybody has off days!

Nah, bring it all the way up to 2001 to include Ghosts of Mars. That's good camp.

We don't talk about The Ward. Everybody has off days!
I still need to watch a bunch of his later stuff, but everything from Halloween through They Live is bangers. In the Mouth of Madness also absolutely rules.

I still need to watch a bunch of his later stuff, but everything from Halloween through They Live is bangers. In the Mouth of Madness also absolutely rules.
Prince of Darkness (1987) is amazing.
Escape from L.A. (1996) definitely has its moments, even if the film is a bit of a mess. It's so 90s though, if you find that charming.

I thought Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992) wasn't that bad tbh. A good rainy Sunday afternoon kind of movie.

Body Bags (1993) was really overlooked.
Cigarette Burns (2005) was weird as fuck (in a good way).

Origin story Metroid survival horror game where the x parasite is basically The Thing.

You are all welcome for this great idea.

Prince of Darkness (1987) is amazing.
Escape from L.A. (1996) definitely has its moments, even if the film is a bit of a mess. It's so 90s though, if you find that charming.

I thought Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992) wasn't that bad tbh. A good rainy Sunday afternoon kind of movie.

Body Bags (1993) was really overlooked.
Cigarette Burns (2005) was weird as fuck (in a good way).
I need to watch his short films and basically all of his post '88 output aside from In the Mouth of Madness.

His movies are so weirdly cozy.

from a recent interview from the av club, it has the usual discussion points about his interest in gaming (apprentlly he hasn't heard of elden ring. šŸ¤”) but the big thing is this part.

notably, he has composed for games before. doing the soundtrack for Sentinel Returns.

reportedly it was only recorded in a day.

in general, his sole focus nowadays is on composing. with the "lost themes" trilogy being the big one.

it feels like the window of opportunity for him to work on a video game again has been getting shorter each passing year, so hopefully someone (annapurna is probably the most likely publisher to get in contact with him.) manages to bring him on-board a project.

New bloods founder saw this article and is actually attempting to reach out to him through his agent so it might happen.

uhhhh

well, it's a John Carpenter game. but the problem is there doesn't seem to be any confirmation he's actually doing the music.
ā€œItā€™s exciting to be collaborating on a new video game with Focus and Saber,ā€ shared John Carpenter. ā€œLook, I really like shooting zombies. They keep telling me that theyā€™re called ā€™the infected.ā€™ Please. Theyā€™re ghouls, dude. They blow up real good and there are a ton of them. People are going to love this game.ā€

Back
Top Bottom