• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Sales Data Jan. 2022 NPD: PS5 #1; Xbox Series #2, Switch #3. Arceus #1 game

Abzeronow

Koopa
Pronouns
he/him

Big month for the Twins as the PS5 was #1 in units and dollars. Xbox Series was second in both. Pokemon Legends Arceus was #1 (BDSP was 11th). Monster Hunter Rise and God of War (#3 and #5) got boosts from their Steam releases. Miles Morales was 6th, only trails Spider-Man and God of War in lifetime dollar sales for Sony published games since 1995.

Can't lie I am shook by these results. I was not really watching stock for the current gen consoles, but this is really a pleasant surprise.

As far as I know, an Xbox console has never beaten a Nintendo handheld's sales. This might be a first.

While this is nothing to worry about, I need to adjust my prediction of Switch total sales. Maybe not 160m but 140-150....

Switch will start to tank heavily this year. I highly doubt we will hit a single month where it comes out on top as PS5 and XSX/S become more readily available.
Switch should recover soon. This was apparently a really good month for stocks of the twins and Switch stock might have been low from the holidays.

Interesting to see the newer consoles enjoy such strong availability, encouraging though.

Blimey those jumps for MH:R and GoW due to the Steam releases...kinda want to see what else is down in the charts where these two were previously dwelling

Switch will start to tank heavily this year. I highly doubt we will hit a single month where it comes out on top as PS5 and XSX/S become more readily available.
The final price cut skyrocketed DS and 3DS sales, giving the dying sales of each extra final 10-15m in sales. Switch is nowhere close to that level, it still is waiting for a Pro model....

I dunno about XS but Sony seemed mighty pessimistic about stock availability for PS5 for the next few months. It completely depends on when Nintendo is able to restock, they had to air ship consoles to the US in November and December and are likely aiming to avoid that for January and onward.

I hope this continues and forces Nintendo’s hand a little to release something new. 🤷🏾‍♂️

We already know this is a stock issue.

With all these games coming out in 2022 (BotW is very likely), I can‘t see the Switch doing anything less than stellar numbers.

I laughed out loud. Sarcasm is amusing.

If you're being serious, this is clearly a stock issue. I'm not even sure how anyone at this point doesn't realize that all 3 manufactures are facing stock issues and it won't be remedied anytime soon.

Nintendo had stock issues through the holidays in the States, the difference was Nintendo was air supply as many consoles as they could afford to sell as many as they cut. Now that they're past the holidays they're going back to the slower, backed up sea lanes to move stock to the west. That's why Switch is in last this month.

I swore Matt's tweet originally read something like 'you can't buy what's not in stock'. Implication seems to be that Switch stock is still low after the holidays. Ironically enough, last week I saw my first Switch in the wild, and it was an OLED model!

I swore Matt's tweet originally read something like 'you can't buy what's not in stock'. Implication seems to be that Switch stock is still low after the holidays. Ironically enough, last week I saw my first Switch in the wild, and it was an OLED model!
it's definitely a stock issue

Outside of Switch Lite (which also can occasionally run low on stock), Switch is super hard to find in the US and has been for well over a month. Nintendo exhausted all their stock in December, by airlifting units to NA.

While I always find these graphs interesting, lets say we did not have the supply chain issue, what is the point of measuring dollars instead of just units? By virtue of the price alone, won't Sony by default always be ahead in dollar sales?

I mean all you have to do is go to stores to see it's a stock issue too. I haven't seen a switch in stock since christmas at my local target and best buy outside of maybe a stray switch lite here and there. I struggled to get a switch 3 weeks ago for a family member lol.

Even if it wasn't a stock issue, at some point the Switch is going to stop winning because everyone who wants one is going to have one. There are still a lot of interested customers looking to buy their first Xbox or PS5.

That's pretty cool to see honestly. Guess MS and Sony did have some solid stock in the first month of the new year, I thought it would fall off a cliff after Dec 2021 and the overall holiday period.

These sales must be from that same large shipment from around that time. The next two months will paint a clearer picture.

Also lol at the "See? SEE?! Now Nintendo needs to do something new hardware wise!" as if stock hasn't been an issue for all three for the past year 😂

false it was a shortage

Okay. Okay.

Nobody panic.

Nobody panic.

I SAID NOBODY PANIC.

😱😱😱

get ready to be fall on your ass because it will still be the best selling console of 2022

Switch will be the best selling console of all time when all is said and done. Do people even care which place it lands in the chart? PS5 and Xbox are still on the rise in terms of demand, while Switch will slowly decrease the next few years. The signs are that Switch will do well even in year 6 and probably also 7 with the lineup they announced.

It’s supply constrained especially the OLED which will be bought as a second system upgrade for most people. I predict Switch will outsell the other two in at least 6 months of the rest of the year in NPD.

Remember there’s Switch Sports along with a packed 2022 potential ending the year with BotW 2.

That's pretty cool to see honestly. Guess MS and Sony did have some solid stock in the first month of the new year, I thought it would fall off a cliff after Dec 2021 and the overall holiday period.

These sales must be from that same large shipment from around that time. The next two months will paint a clearer picture.

Also lol at the "See? SEE?! Now Nintendo needs to do something new hardware wise!" as if stock hasn't been an issue for all three for the past year 😂
I dunno if I would say "solid" just more than prior months. It's still hard to reliably get hands on a PS5.

bizarre to see switch #3, seems like supply issues finally got to nintendo after their reserves from the years prior ran dry

bizarre to see switch #3, seems like supply issues finally got to nintendo after their reserves from the years prior ran dry
Nah it's more about logistics. They shipped everything that went to the US by air for November and December, so when they went back to shipping by sea in January it caused a large lag time between the last shipments from December and the first shipments in January.

Switch has enough supply available to be up yoy in Europe in all of the markets we currently know of so IMO logistics issues are the only real way to explain this.

I dunno if I would say "solid" just more than prior months. It's still hard to reliably get hands on a PS5.
Yeah that's true. I'm only saying "solid" in the context of the year both consoles were on market vs entire console launches in history so far.

Back
Top Bottom