• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I've missed out on PC gaming for the past few years. What are some recs?

souio

Moblin
Pronouns
he/him
With the release of Diablo IV (I know it's on consoles too), it reminded me that my gaming laptop I bought last year can run most modern games smoothly at fairly high settings. I'm really enjoying the game and I realized I haven't been keeping up with a lot of PC games, despite CRPGs being one of my fav genre as an early teen (Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Night, Might and Magic were all my jams), and I realized I haven't really kept up with a lot of PC games lately. What are some good PC game recs you can give over the past few years?

Some of the games on my radar so far include:
Divinity OS
Baldur's Gate 3 when it gets released
Wasteland 2 and 3

Thanks!

Jump straight into Divinity, my friend. I won’t say I’m an authority on CRPGs but I have played stuff from Fallout to Shadowrun to Baldur’s Gate to Wasteland, and Divinity (specifically Original Sin 2) is in my opinion the best out of all of them. I’m excited for Baldur’s Gate 3 precisely because the devs behind Divinity, Larian Studios, are making it.

Another genre you won’t see much on console are RTS games, and I heartily recommend Frostpunk and They Are Billions!

Then for a hardcore survival sim, Project Zomboid is fantastic

Are you looking for PC exclusives (or at least games not available on Switch)?

There are a fair number of visual novels that are PC-only. Besides that, Case of the Golden Idol is coming to Switch eventually but is currently came to the Switch last month but was previously PC-exclusive. Dragon's Dogma runs at higher frame rates on PC than any console. Street Fighter 6 isn't on Switch (but is on PS5 and XBS). BG3 is a game I'm looking forward to despite being disappointed by the writing in D:OS2, but I'll probably play it on console.

Last edited:

There are a fair number of visual novels that are PC-only. Besides that, Case of the Golden Idol is coming to Switch eventually but is currently PC-exclusive. Dragon's Dogma runs at higher frame rates on PC than any console. Street Fighter 6 isn't on Switch (but is on PS5 and XBS). BG3 is a game I'm looking forward to despite being disappointed by the writing in D:OS2, but I'll probably play it on console.
Golden Idol is out on Switch with the DLC and it plays great by the way.

Back on topic: Curious if you want games not on Switch specifically or just what you should try on PC in general?

The Owlcat Pathfinder games are well worth checking out if you enjoy CRPGs. Kingmaker is a bit rough around the edges but still worth a spin if the premise appeals to you. Wrath of the Righteous is one of the best CRPGs I've played in a while.

Seconding the recommendation for Divinity Original Sin 2, I enjoyed the first one well enough but the second blew it out of the water imo.

Both Pathologic games are pretty much must plays if you have a tolerance for the kind of "difficulty" they provide. The first game is older but I can guess you haven't played it. Cruelty Squad is probably the best ImSim thing to come out recently if you're into that. Gloomwood kinda falls into that box as well but is early access. Hyper Demon is the best retro inspired arcade shooter I have ever played. Ultrakill comes pretty close though and that's recent-ish with more to do (it is also Early Access but has plenty of content now). Age of Wonders 4 is my current strategy game fix, that and Lobotomy Corp which is less recent. Speaking of ProjectMoon, Library of Ruina is pretty nifty but that's also on Xbox One. Just some things I scraped through in the last couple years that I think are PC exclusive.

I'm not much into many exclusive CRPGs that are much newer than Fallout 2 so I'll leave that to the other posters. Also reminder that the Steam Summer Sale is in like a week so like you might wanna make sure to wait on that to buy anything.

Golden Idol is out on Switch with the DLC and it plays great by the way.

Back on topic: Curious if you want games not on Switch specifically or just what you should try on PC in general?

There are a fair number of visual novels that are PC-only. Besides that, Case of the Golden Idol is coming to Switch eventually but is currently came to the Switch last month but was previously PC-exclusive. Dragon's Dogma runs at higher frame rates on PC than any console. Street Fighter 6 isn't on Switch (but is on PS5 and XBS). BG3 is a game I'm looking forward to despite being disappointed by the writing in D:OS2, but I'll probably play it on console.
Preferably PC-exclusive games (or games like Diablo's case in which they were obviously made with PC in mind first before moving onto console).

Thanks for the Pathologic 2 rec; looks like it'd be right up my alley.

The two Legend of Grimrock games might be of interest to you:

I can't vouch for them personally but Spiderweb's games are generally well regarded even if they're not exactly lookers: https://store.steampowered.com/publisher/spiderwebsoftware

And I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend you check out Heroes of Might and Magic series over on GOG:

Preferably PC-exclusive games (or games like Diablo's case in which they were obviously made with PC in mind first before moving onto console).

Thanks for the Pathologic 2 rec; looks like it'd be right up my alley.

From the last few months I would say - Trombone Champ, Humanity (also on PS5), Darkest Dungeon II, Terra Nil, Misericorde, Birth, Returnal (PS5 as well), Pizza Tower, Hi-Fi Rush (Xbox as well), and Pentiment (Also on Xbox) are worth looking into.

Both Pathologic games are pretty much must plays if you have a tolerance for the kind of "difficulty" they provide. The first game is older but I can guess you haven't played it. Cruelty Squad is probably the best ImSim thing to come out recently if you're into that. Gloomwood kinda falls into that box as well but is early access. Hyper Demon is the best retro inspired arcade shooter I have ever played. Ultrakill comes pretty close though and that's recent-ish with more to do (it is also Early Access but has plenty of content now). Age of Wonders 4 is my current strategy game fix, that and Lobotomy Corp which is less recent. Speaking of ProjectMoon, Library of Ruina is pretty nifty but that's also on Xbox One. Just some things I scraped through in the last couple years that I think are PC exclusive.

I'm not much into many exclusive CRPGs that are much newer than Fallout 2 so I'll leave that to the other posters. Also reminder that the Steam Summer Sale is in like a week so like you might wanna make sure to wait on that to buy anything.
+1 to all of this. Amazing recommendations, especially Hyper Demon, AoW 4 (which is also on consoles), and Ultrakill. I should check out Library of Ruina.

+1 to all of this. Amazing recommendations, especially Hyper Demon, AoW 4 (which is also on consoles), and Ultrakill. I should check out Library of Ruina.
NGL I didn't even bother checking if AoW4 had day 1 console ports cause, well, yeah. Cool to see that genre becoming more accessible outside of the PC crowd.

I should also add a +1 to Pentiment since I caught that. Terra Nil is one I think looks really cool but I've only caught one discord stream of it so far :x

Last edited:
off the top of my head, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Battlefield V, and Control (this one in particular is an excellent benchmark alongside being the best of the bunch) all have high quality ray tracing features that don't exist in the console ports.

also LEGO Builder's Journey, the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions might have some of it's effects. but i'm mainly bringing it up because it's quite possibly the most visually impressive implementation of ray tracing out there. even though it's effectively an indie game.
ss_d2d18046c32a1c8c3b6cdf0a3a5da0ce6ddc5d77.jpg

ss_18de4a74b39dd01da4e68630bd6255ba81c90879.jpg

NGL I didn't even bother checking if AoW4 had day 1 console ports cause, well, yeah. Cool to see that genre becoming more accessible outside of the PC crowd.

I should also add a +1 to Pentiment since I caught that. Terra Nil is one I think looks really cool but I've only caught one discord stream of it so far :x

Yea it is always a coin toss with Paradox on console side. For AoW4 they even added controller support to PC so I play it on Steam Deck. I was hoping CK3 or Vicky3 would have it, but nope. I've been on Xbox for CK3.

And Terra Nil is under Netflix Games for iOS/Android if you have a sub to try. I forget if there is a demo, but very interesting game.

Divinity Original Sin 2 and XCOM 2 on PC are solid choices because while good by themselves, mods really elevate them, at least for me. I know they've been mentioned already, but I am never not thinking about them. I'm still waiting for XCOM 3 (Chimera Squad, while fun, doesn't count).

Stellaris is also very good if you're like me and enjoy space empire games. I forget if this has a console port or not but... the mods. The mods.

My favorite PC-exclusive is RimWorld. Incredible game that keeps you coming back with an equally incredible modding community.

If you're up to download a lot of stuff, you can try a bunch of the Steam Next Fest demos! A ton of upcoming games receive demos during this and it's a blast to play a bunch of them and find out what upcoming games you're looking forward to. It ends June 26 I believe, so if you're interested it's not a bad idea to start browsing!

This thread is of interest to me...

off the top of my head, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, Battlefield V, and Control (this one in particular is an excellent benchmark alongside being the best of the bunch) all have high quality ray tracing features that don't exist in the console ports.

also LEGO Builder's Journey, the PS5 and Xbox Series X versions might have some of it's effects. but i'm mainly bringing it up because it's quite possibly the most visually impressive implementation of ray tracing out there. even though it's effectively an indie game.
ss_d2d18046c32a1c8c3b6cdf0a3a5da0ce6ddc5d77.jpg

ss_18de4a74b39dd01da4e68630bd6255ba81c90879.jpg
These screens gives me Captain Toad vibes; click the above clip for my opinion

Back
Top Bottom