• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion It’s time to give up on an international release (localization) of Mother 3

That we have gotten localisations for things like Famicom Detective Club, The Great Ace Attorney, and Ace Attorney Investigations 2 years and years after their original releases should be enough to show there’s no reason a localised release can’t happen if the company sees value in it.

Kit mentioned/implied in the KitandKrysta podcast Mother 3 is not coming to N/A due to problematic content in the game. So it's no longer idle speculation.
He suggests the best solution is to remake it, maybe HD-2D to removeor change the content, but i suspect the die hard fans asking for it will be pissed off by the changes

That said maybe they can do a mature GBA app just for that game :ROFLMAO:

I’ve never played any of the games from the Mother series, including Mother 3 of course.

What content would be considered problematic? Is it some type of phobic content, or is it something else entirely?

Also as a general question for all, as someone who has never play this series, why should I? What is it about Earthbound/Mother that I have/should play it?

I’ve never played any of the games from the Mother series, including Mother 3 of course.

What content would be considered problematic? Is it some type of phobic content, or is it something else entirely?

Also as a general question for all, as someone who has never play this series, why should I? What is it about Earthbound/Mother that I have/should play it?
Mother 3 has characters that plays into negative ir unflattering gay/trans stereotypes with the recurring characters of the magypsies (yikes on the name to) they are ugly men who wear women's clothing and act in over the top feminine ways and memorably in one scen one gets naked with Lucas in a hot spring. It's not great, though it'd kind of nice how Kumatora is implied to be a trans woman because she is one of them.
In regards to why to play the mother games, it's specifically about Mother 3 having a really touching and amusing and weird story. Most things that make Earthbohnd special are done better by a lot of quirky RPGs, but Mother 3 is just kind of special in having a story about how greed destroys people and the planet and ruins families. It's worth a try even if it doesn't click with you.

Personally though, I'm kind of more interested in Marvelous Another Treasure Island

It's a problem that only exists in the minds of those who look for problems under every couch cushion.

Nintendo has gone on the record, multiple times, that nothing in the content of Mother 3 is a barrier to localisation. How they would actually translate that content is anyone's guess, but I've got no doubt that an entire company of skilled translators would come up with something without breaking a sweat.

with how casually Capcom dropped Great Ace Attorney and Investigations 2, despite being crazy localization work like a decade after release, my hopes are right back on

nintendo can pull this W

Honestly? I gave up shortly after Earthbound Beginnings released and nothing pointed at a Earthbound the Sequel was revealed.
I'd lot to see some version of this localized to be able to play, just can't see it happening soon.

I think localization chances get higher if Nintendo ever decides to make a remaster/remake of Mother 1 and 2 on Switch/Switch 2.

It's a problem that only exists in the minds of those who look for problems under every couch cushion.

Nintendo has gone on the record, multiple times, that nothing in the content of Mother 3 is a barrier to localisation. How they would actually translate that content is anyone's guess, but I've got no doubt that an entire company of skilled translators would come up with something without breaking a sweat.
When? I don't think Nintendo has commented that much about Mother 3, just that they wouldn't localize it.

The amount of effort they'd need to put in just to release a goddamned GBA game is why it hasn't been released, I'm sure. Add on the copyright issues with the music and the problematic content, and that's a wrap.

Back
Top Bottom