• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Is "Watch For Falling Rocks 0.5x A Presses" still the GOAT mind-melt?

Irene

Soar long!
Pronouns
She/Her

Every now and then, while browsing videos, I keep returning to beating Watch For Falling Rocks with 0.5x A presses. The way that pannenkoek knows Mario 64 down to what seems like every damn binary variable and how he's been using that knowledge to bend and break the game to oblivion is just so, so fascinating to me. Every time I watch this video, it's like my entire head is expanding and shrinking at the same time as I try to process what in the actual hell is going on. I think it's the stopping point between parallel universes and quadrupel-parallel universes and the decimal-precise warps between the perfectly angled triangle polygons that officially breaks me.

He's such a good explainer, too. It's the technobabble to end all technobabble, but it still feels strangely accessible to listen to.

Is this truly the GOAT when it comes to mind-melts, or have there been some runner-ups recently? Feel free to post them if there are any.

I love how he doesn't try to give the video a comedic spin in an attempt to keep the audience's attention. He just explains everything as clearly as he can.

it’s probably tied with Outside In as the greatest piece of niche educational media I’ve seen on youtube

it was somewhat recently reuploaded by one of its original creators! some of the versions that have been on youtube for years have a (significantly worse) different voiceover—the tone and dry, strange humor of this one is perfect

Any opportunity to plug one of the all-time great YouTube video essays. It's not really about a single video game so much as how we think of series, game development, etc. As mind-blowing and accessible, although I don't think it references TJ "Henry" Yoshi.

it’s probably tied with Outside In as the greatest piece of niche educational media I’ve seen on youtube

it was somewhat recently reuploaded by one of its original creators! some of the versions that have been on youtube for years have a (significantly worse) different voiceover—the tone and dry, strange humor of this one is perfect

"You expect me to believe you can turn a sphere inside out with no creases, but not a circle?"
"Yes"

Never seen this before.
Anyone else think it's kind of... creepy for some reason?

Also the sound it makes when it turns inside out is the Playstation startup sound isn't it.

OP, I can't believe you didn't mention that TJ "Henry" Yoshi ended up studying computer science after that video. (He commented on How to Crash SM64 Using a Pendulum, which was pannenkoek2012's recent return to commentating after seven years.)
Screen-Shot-2023-08-28-at-3-34-00-PM.png

I dunno, I just find the thought that "Watch For Rocking Rocks" played a role in them going forward to expand their own knowledge in the subject to be an amazing result of what briefly became a silly meme.

I was talking about this with my Roommie yesterday. Insane video, top to bottom. It's crazy that this guy just gets to leave his house with this much knowledge. He should at least get free meals, or something.

I saw that video exactly once. It opened my eyes to both the wonders and terrors of not just game development, but the kind of mathematical chaos Ian Malcolm prattled on about in the Jurassic Park novels that my 12 year old mind at the time couldn't even comprehend.

I've gone mad with the knowledge of the universe, and though I am grateful for its existence, I don't think I could ever watch it again for fear of going too far beyond.

Not videogame related but it's this one.
I still can't get away from it, I find myself randomly shouting Garfield at people because of this.

I've watched a lot of Pannen's other stuff, and many other videos that explain speedrunning technicalities, and this is by far the best. It became legendary for a reason; it's so quotable and paced in such a way where the absurdity of what's being accomplished ramps up in real time. I still come back to it every few months. So to answer your question, yes. It's a masterpiece.

And if it weren’t for Pannen, we wouldn't have gotten this absolutely amazing video just last year chronicling almost the entire Super Mario 64 ABC history (missing only one A press save after the video), including Watch For Rolling Rocks.

Yes, it's 5 hours 22 minutes long. Yes, it is absolutely worth every minute.

OP, I can't believe you didn't mention that TJ "Henry" Yoshi ended up studying computer science after that video. (He commented on How to Crash SM64 Using a Pendulum, which was pannenkoek2012's recent return to commentating after seven years.)
Screen-Shot-2023-08-28-at-3-34-00-PM.png

I dunno, I just find the thought that "Watch For Rocking Rocks" played a role in them going forward to expand their own knowledge in the subject to be an amazing result of what briefly became a silly meme.

I didn't know that. That's way cool!

And if it weren’t for Pannen, we wouldn't have gotten this absolutely amazing video just last year chronicling almost the entire Super Mario 64 ABC history (missing only one A press save after the video), including Watch For Rolling Rocks.

Yes, it's 5 hours 22 minutes long. Yes, it is absolutely worth every minute.

This needs to be binged some day.

Back
Top Bottom