• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Is there any permanent solution to stick drift?

kimbo99

Spirit Detective
Pronouns
He/him
I am an owner of a Switch, PS4 and Xbox one. I've owned the Xbox and Switch for about 2 years now and the PS4 for a few months. So far I've been through 2 DS4s, 6 Xbox controllers and countless Joycon analog replacements. I know drift has been a thing since we moved from d-pad to analog sticks in gaming, but something has to give. Will there be any solution to this? Perhaps these manufactures buy different parts for their analog sticks?

Curious to see other people's thoughts here. This is not a thread about complaining, rather, what should we expect in the future.

Everything that has a physical mechanism that allows movement is doomed to fail. It’s a question of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’.

the permanent solution would be replacing the mechanisms out right. maybe a more costly but durable part. of course, that cost would pass onto the consumer

Contact cleaner has been effective for my joycons. One good application lasts for several months, so it isn't super permanent though.

Seconding contact cleaner. It bought me probably 6 months before I just sent them to Nintendo for repair.

Wasn't there some revelation that a small piece of cardboard essentially fixed it? Maybe not permanently but for a very long term?

Yes, there is a permanent fix.

Let me know if you have any more trouble. "Countless" Joy Cons over two years is way more than average.

Unfortunately no. Contact cleaner. All the newer consoles will be affected by this do to wear and tear and of course, the actual parts.

The other issue, and correct me if I am wrong someone, is that I read that the company who makes the sticks has the patent on them and its the same for all 3 manufacturers?

Phew, that's a LOT of controllers in two years.

From what I understand all analog sticks are made at the same place, so unless a new manufacturer comes along or a new process is round, the current state is what we're stuck with.

Call me extremely lucky, but I have a launch day Switch and a launch day Pro Controller and have had zero issues with drift, and I play a lot. The only problem I had was with the wireless interference, which I chose to fix myself... it's been working perfectly since then.

Let's hope I don't jinx myself!

Phew, that's a LOT of controllers in two years.

From what I understand all analog sticks are made at the same place, so unless a new manufacturer comes along or a new process is round, the current state is what we're stuck with.

Yeah basically, and I think its all tied to the whole clicking in the analog stick thing to act as another button. I could be miss-remembering stuff but I believe one company holds the patent on that, and they make the analog sticks for every one now.

While I don't necessarily feel remorse for Nintendo getting hit with the class action lawsuit about the frailty of joycon controllers that shouldn't have passed QA, I do sincerely hope that the company responsible for holding these patents gets the same treatment with their ass held to fire to improve their own components because that's just obscene when no one else is capable of doing joysticks better because of legal bullshit.

Back
Top Bottom