• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Is The Switch 2 Something You're Getting ASAP, Waiting for It To Build Its Library, Or Waiting For A Specific Title That interests you?

when are getting a Switch 2

• Total voters
Depends. If it gives a performance boost to current Switch games I will get it day 1, otherwise I will wait for a game I’m interested in.

Day one for me. Except NES & Gameboy, I bought every Nintendo console / handheld at launch. There always were at least 2 must haves for me from the very beginning and this time will be no different, I'm sure.

I was going to choose waiting for a specific game like I did with the Switch (got BOTW on Wii U, so waited until Splatoon 2 was about to drop in July). But let's be real, this is probably going to have a insanely gorgeous exclusive 3D Mario at launch, and I ain't missing out on that.

I still have a quintillion games Iwant to play on Switch, so unless a game I really want to play comes out, I think this time I'll wait a bit.

Day one as long as I don't have to jump through hoops to get it, aka fight bots and scalpers online. Otherwise I'll wait a little until the demand comes down.

If they really do the OLED late release, I will wait for it likely, if the rumors (or even confirmations) are true. Otherwise I will make it depending on backward compatibility (including battery life on Switch mode) and features. Nintendo was often Hit and Miss, N64 and WiiU I never really was interested in to buy, Switch, Snes and Gamecube I was early on fire. So lets see time up to release.
If they are not too cocky with the price (3DS!!!!), it might be likely a early buy to replace my OG Switch.

Based off all the information on it we have so far, it's a solid, definite

Depends.

I've never bought a console day 1. But this is the one I'll make sure to try and get day 1. With backwards compatibility and the current Switch being long in the tooth, I'm ready for the next gen in performance and games.

If it's backwards compatible then I'll get it day one.

If it's not I might buy an OLED and wait lol.

I'll buy it as soon as there's a killer app that appeals to me
So 3D Mario then.

sukuna-smile.gif

I'll get the system Day 1, then trade my OLED in if there is full backwards compatibility with the Switch 1 without any exceptions. I'll keep my Lite (Pokemon SW/SH Edition) just because its not a regular model and just clean it up and put it back in a box for storage.

Maybe I'll get lucky again and get the Switch 2 like how I did with the original. Get it delivered a week before the system's official launch, but have nothing to do with it because I was too apprehensive of connecting it to the eShop and didn't get a BOTW copy until it's official release day. At least I'll be able to play my Switch 1 games if its backwards compatible this time around lol.

Last edited:
I’ll go with ASARP: As Soon as Realistically Possible.

I’m gonna try my hardest to get it day one, but I don’t think I care enough to wait in lines at stores or refresh online 24/7.

Most probably ASAP, it all depends on the build quality, the initial catalog and the level of retrocompatibility with the Switch.

It depends exactly what is on offer.

A) What are Switch 2's specs, performance, exclusives.

B) What is backwards compatibility like? Is it the entire library, or digital only? Are their performance gains across the board, or only for specific titles?

C) What is availability looking like? Is this thing going to be scalped for years like the PS5?

Day 1 for sure—got my OG Switch 1 day early through Best Buy’s website so hopefully I’ll get my preorder through them

Second poll option. I've already resigned myself to the fact that for me personally, Switch 2 isn't going to hit the same heights that Switch 1 did, for quite a few reasons. But once the console has 3 games that I'm interested in? At that point, it'll still be a decent little package, if nothing else.

I'm always looking for specific games, but there's a good chance enough that interests me will be announced for that launch window and I'll get it day 1.

Nah I'll be waiting at least a year or until Kart and some other stuff comes out or something, maybe longer.

Not getting a Switch until June 2019 is one of my biggest regrets. For the whole system's life I've been playing catch up.

The very latest for me is going to be Holiday 2025, but I'll try my best to be there at launch.

I specifically bought a switch for Botw, so I'll probably look at the launch lineup and wait to see what would be available during the first 12 months.

It's backwards compatible, there's no reason to wait. It immediately replaces the Switch entirely and I use the new console just like the PS5 with the PS4.

Since around the mid 2000s, I've bought every Nintendo console with my own money at or near launch starting with the Wii/DS ; regardless of lineup. Don't plan on changing it.
I have a good feeling this console will have a killer year 1/launch window lineup and I won't be disappointed.

Last edited:
I will try to get one ASAP but if the launch lineup contains nothing interesting for me (that is exclusive to the Switch 2) then I won't really stress about it and can "wait for a specific game".

If there's a game at launch I want to play, yes, I'll buy it day 1.

Even if there isn't, if I get better performance for the Xenoblade games I'll buy it solely for that X.X

I will try to get one ASAP but if the launch lineup contains nothing interesting for me (that is exclusive to the Switch 2) then I won't really stress about it and can "wait for a specific game".
After getting burned by their lucklustre 3DS/Wii U launches and even going further back with Luigi's Mansion on GameCube, i 100% can say they will launch with a Mario or Zelda; in addition to having 1 title a month for the first year, likely for the duraiton of the console's life.

Right away because if I don't watch it like a hawk I will have to wait a year before non-scalpers can purchase it. I assume it will have back compat and there's still plenty of switch titles I haven't played anyway, so no need for a good library right away

if it's fully backward compatible, like all the way, digital included... I'll probably wait a little bit to see if any first-wave tech issues get identified.

but otherwise, yeah, I'm on board.

if I CAN'T play all my Switch games... then I'll probably wait a while.

also I struggle to imagine affording a new device on release... do y'all live in banks or

After getting burned by their lucklustre 3DS/Wii U launches and even going further back with Luigi's Mansion on GameCube, i 100% can say they will launch with a Mario or Zelda; in addition to having 1 title a month for the first year, likely for the duraiton of the console's life.

Yeah, I bought the 3DS when the OoT Remake arrived a bit later and did not really touch it until Mario 3D Land came out...
And I was super hyped for Wii U because I liked the Wii so much. In the end I waited to buy it until 2014 when Mario Kart dropped.

So the launch (window) lineup is crucial. Zelda I doubt a bit (a remaster of BotW would be nice but not a "must have now" for me).
Maybe the rumored spin-off.
3D Mario or Mario Kart are very likely though and those would be must-haves for me, yes.

I'd rather wait a year and let them iron out the obvious software issues (if not hardware issues as well). Plus build up a little backlog of 1st party games I want to play. I'm fine with missing out on the community aspect of playing everything at release. It's good to have an endless backlog of indie/retro/PS/Xbox games.

Me personally, I:

• love Nintendo games
  • play A LOT MORE thanks to the hybrid nature of the Switch
  • have a blog for Nintendo Switch (and previous consoles) games

so, assuming that

• Switch 2 will have Nintendo games
  • Switch 2 will be a hybrid console
  • Publishers will continue providing me review codes

I will buy it at launch

My body is ready to fight the bots, the scalpers, everyone for a day one launch unit.

So, ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom