• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Is the 3DS still a good buy?

I thought dual screen retro handhelds would already be a thing but looks like it's just going to be the Ayaneo Flip with a 7840u. Probably going to be another $1000+ PC handheld. Besides that, the foldable Android phones look pretty good with a telescopic controller. Old Surface Duo or Galaxy Fold seem around the same price as a used new 3DS XL though. Don't know how durable the screen hinges are

Even this concept could be brought into question when we consider just how ill-equipped the concept of copyright law still is to what is essentially an international world. For example, I'm not US-bound, so the US Legislation really does nothing for me. Thankfully, based on my own home country, there are no laws I'm violating based on simply homebrewing my console as well. However, AFAIK in Japan they've made it illegal for you to mod your own consoles in recent years - had I been there, I'd certainly know better than to vouch for it!
Home-brewing and downloading game are 2 different concepts and not comparable.
I was never arguing about that. And I'm aware that this mostly relates to US, Canada, EU, Japan and Australia.
As it stands, copyright holders and shareholders would still rather set fire to the entire library of Alexandria rather than paying the costs of simply dusting off some of its books. The concept of legality on intellectual property is (and will keep being) much more based in preserving profits rather than actually caring for arts and culture, which are the products of human creation. This will not be readdressed in any foreseeable future so that's why I think it's nice for the individual to realise the chasm legality and morality may sometimes have.

Pretty sure most creatives would even rather have you enjoying their works instead of they being locked away in a private vault. I'm just glad this is a problem with a solution. Works are being preserved.
In both cases I have seen counter examples, and we should always promote/push those companies that act with fair practices.

I'm all with you about the need to rework copyright and restructure laws, since removing cultural elements (and let's be honest, that's all popular and public media) out of circulation to better sell a new product that "replaces" it should not be a legal think, and should not criminalise communal/non comercial ways to share those.

But as it stands, for most of this forum getting non physical 3ds Games would be an illegal practice.

It's not the home-brewing that's the problem, it's the legally acquiring 3DS games.

So...either buying the games physically, or... Not at all. Anf if you haven them physically, why bother ripping them to play on original hardware.
I ripped all my 3DS games once I hacked it because it meant I wouldn’t have to worry about losing my now pricy carts or deal with swapping them. I don’t think that’s hard to understand.

For kinda hipster collectors and objectively, it's a fine buy ... BUT for a 10 year old I dunno. He/she might get some looks from other kids about why they have some weird outdated portable and not something more current like a Switch. I'd probably just go with a Switch Lite instead for this use case.

Definitely worth it. I was almost 10 when I got my 3DS and I loved it. As others have said, there are plenty of great games on there that are either completely original, or great remakes of older titles.

Some recommendations that I enjoyed as a kid:

-Super Mario 3D Land
-Pokémon X/Y
-Tomodachi Life
-Mariokart 7
-Kirby Triple Deluxe
-Mario + Luigi: Dream Team

There are PLENTY more great games than just these, but these are the ones I remember best from my childhood from 2011-2014ish. Lately I’ve played Fire Emblem Awakening and Fates, so there’s even more once your son is a bit older :)

well this is another thing, will Analogue enter the fray.
From what I gathered, current FPGA chips / implementations (<- no idea if this is the right word) are too weak for DS. And even if they weren't, an additional touch screen, microphone, Wi-Fi capabilities, and a clamshell design would make the Pocket too expensive even for its already niche audience.

Aya should release the Flip DS in the near future, though. It could be a good solution for 3DS, but the bottom screen is too small for DS IMHO.

neo-flip_02.jpg

Back
Top Bottom