• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Is SEGA possibly teasing Dreamcast 2 at The Game Awards?

Imagine this is for NFTs and their blockchain SUPER DUPER GAMES.

Oh how I would laugh.

Apple x Sega

What if Apple wants to inject some much needed "blast processing" into their Apple Arcade ecosystem by rebranding and going all-in with a console to rival PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X? What if they've partnered with Sega along with other third parties working with Sega IPs* to produce a plethora of exclusives for the Apple iDreamcast?

*Alex Kidd, Altered Beast, Angry Birds, Astal, Baku Baku Animal, Beach Spikers, Beyond Oasis, Billy Hatcher And The Giant Egg, Binary Domain, Blue Stinger, Bonanza Bros., Bug!, Burning Rangers, ChuChu Rocket!, Clockwork Knight, Columns, Comix Zone, Crazy Taxi, Crusader Of Centy, Daytona USA, Decap Attack, DecAthlete, Deep Fear, Devil Summoner, Dynamite Cop, Dynamite Headdy, Ecco The Dolphin, Endless Space, Eternal Champions, Fantasy Zone, Fighters Megamix, Fighting Vipers, Flicky, Gain Ground, Golden Axe, Guardian Heroes, Gunstar Heroes, Gunvalkyrie, Hang-On, The House Of The Dead, Jet Set Radio, Judgment, Kid Chameleon, Landstalker, Last Bronx, Light Crusader, Like A Dragon, Mr. Bones, Nights Into Dreams, The Ooze, OutRun, Panzer Dragoon, Persona, Phantasy Star, Pulseman, Puyo Puyo, Resonance Of Fate, Ristar, Sakura Wars, Samba De Amigo, Sega Bass Fishing, Sega Rally, Segagaga, Shenmue, Shin Megami Tensei, Shining Force, Shinobi, Skies Of Arcadia, Sonic The Hedgehog, Space Channel 5, Space Harrier, Streets Of Rage, Super Monkey Ball, ToeJam & Earl, Total War, Two Point Campus, Two Point Hospital, Valkyria Chronicles, Vanquish, Vectorman, Virtua Cop, Virtua Fighter, Virtua Racing, Virtua Striker, Virtua Tennis, Virtual On, Wonder Boy

Last edited:
Apple x Sega

What if Apple wants to inject some much needed "blast processing" into their Apple Arcade ecosystem by rebranding and going all-in with a console to rival PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X? What if they've partnered with Sega along with other third parties working with Sega IPs to produce a plethora of exclusives for the Apple Dreamcast?
That would be the biggest excitement-to-dissapointment shift for me since John Woo's Silent Night

a Sega console will appeal to no one but boomers

Their brand power isn't enough to carry an entire system these days. Their best selling console ever was 30 million, that's not gonna fly by today's standards

Anyone who will inevitably be disappointed that there is no Dreamcast 2 reveal will have no one to blame but themselves. There is 0 shot Sega enters back into the console race.

The idea doesn't even make sense. Sonic is for boomers? First I've heard that.
The system will be successful if it has strong exclusives. Just like any other console. Or fail, if it doesn't.

I'm more blown-away by the idea that the Mega Drive sold as many units as it did isn't really good for a console that released in 1988 and cut production off early in favor of the next console. This was before the PlayStation absolutely exploded the medium into the mainstream! And that number is still higher than multiple Nintendo consoles alongside and after that!

SEGA doing another console to compete in a ridiculous race would, in fact, be stupid and impossible. I'm 99% sure that most mentions of a Dreamcast 2 are just joking because it's the most absurd thing they can think of, but even that's more grounded in reality than the idea the MD wasn't a successful console with a ton of great games. Several of which were so great that Nintendo has 'em available on NSO+!

I'm more blown-away by the idea that the Mega Drive sold as many units as it did isn't really good for a console that released in 1988 and cut production off early in favor of the next console. This was before the PlayStation absolutely exploded the medium into the mainstream! And that number is still higher than multiple Nintendo consoles alongside and after that!

SEGA doing another console to compete in a ridiculous race would, in fact, be stupid and impossible. I'm 99% sure that most mentions of a Dreamcast 2 are just joking because it's the most absurd thing they can think of, but even that's more grounded in reality than the idea the MD wasn't a successful console with a ton of great games. Several of which were so great that Nintendo has 'em available on NSO+!
Sony and Microsoft dipped out of the true exclusives concept though. There could be room. Who's to say? What logistics can we even use to guess? There's no precedent for it. They are more well known than most of the other companies in the industry.

it's probably not though

Last edited:
Dreamcast 2 is more likely than Sonic getting a new arrangement in Smash.

Hold on, is the implication that this is going to pure fighting game ppl, so we could be talking Virtua Fighter or maybe even Powerstone?
Isn't Power Stone Capcom? If this is fighting game related I have a feeling it'll be Virtua Fighter.

Dreamcast 2 would be interesting if they made their games actually exclusive to it.
Make it a relatively cheap, low powered console with stuff like Persona, Sonic, and Yakuza exclusive to it and it could probably hit like, 20 million lifetime.

It would obviously be a terrible idea and they shouldn't do it, but it would still be interesting to see.

I was checking the main page, and when this thread popped up the title cut off after the "Dr", and I was like for 2 embarrasing seconds "New Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine?"

Dreamcast 2 would be interesting if they made their games actually exclusive to it.
Make it a relatively cheap, low powered console with stuff like Persona, Sonic, and Yakuza exclusive to it and it could probably hit like, 20 million lifetime.

It would obviously be a terrible idea and they shouldn't do it, but it would still be interesting to see.
Problem is, if it was a cheap, low powered console then Sega would have difficulty optimizing for it 😅

I've already seen Sonic marketing employees asking fans on twitter what they'd think if Sega started making "alternate" versions of games for Switch like they did for the Wii, since according to them "third parties have a hard time developing for it."

Who in the hell wants a dreamcast 2 lmao. This is not going to happen.
6z05rh5fe7m31.png

I get that the idea of a Dreamcast 2 with a unique/interesting line up sounds interesting on paper, but isn't this idea fueled by positive nostalgia for the original Dreamcast? Because I really don't see fertile ground in the current gaming landscape for a Dreamcast 2 to do well, which in turn would really hurt SEGA as a company.

I get that the idea of a Dreamcast 2 with a unique/interesting line up sounds interesting on paper, but isn't this idea fueled by positive nostalgia for the original Dreamcast? Because I really don't see fertile ground in the current gaming landscape for a Dreamcast 2 to do well, which in turn would really hurt SEGA as a company.
I hate myself for this negativity. I hope for @John Omaha , @chocolate_supra and all other Dreamcast fans a DC II will become reality!

Lol no, i wish they did, sega did a better job than sony and ms for first party games during their console age imo.

Anyway, i though they have a big title in development and thats what they prob show.

I don't think anyone in this thread seriously believes that the current Sega could release a new console right now and be successful.

However, if they hypothetically wanted to blow a few billion on a new console that would pick up where the DC left off, I would be all for it. All Sega consoles had an arcade-first philosophy that is mostly missing from the current crop of consoles.

Last edited:
I hate myself for this negativity. I hope for @John Omaha , @chocolate_supra and all other Dreamcast fans a DC II will become reality!
I appreciate it! 😁
though you're absolutely right, I'd expect a new Sega console to absolutely tank in the current market, just saying I would buy one for the novelty (and then watch Sega fall off a cliff (just like I did in the early 00s))

They continued to make games.
Only after being saved from bankruptcy by then-president Isao Okawa, who forgave a $500 million loan that Sega owed him for and gave an unheard-of donation of $695 million of his own stocks back to the company, before dying. And even then, their game sales were so dire that the next president cut their profit forecasts for the next year by 90% before almost immediately opening talks to be acquired by Sammy.

I seriously doubt they could be saved like that a second time.

A dreamcast 2 would be a DREAM (haha...) even though I know it'll never happen. Sega has my favorite line-up of ips from all gaming companies at it would be really interesting to see what a modern sega console would even be like.

At best we could hope for Sega becoming a major partner with one of the big 3 (Microsoft or Nintendo prob) and said platform ends up with a big library of AA-AAA Sega Exclusive games, making it the new sega console (in spirit)

Anywho...from what I'm seeing most people are expecting VF6, but I'd love to see a mega cross-over fighting game like the superstars games back in the day that had a ton of different sega characters (I'm still riding on that 15 year superstars tennis nostalgia high). Maybe it could be a full 3d fighter too like powerstone on the dreamcast.

Last edited:
Only after being saved from bankruptcy by then-president Isao Okawa, who forgave a $500 million loan that Sega owed him for and gave an unheard-of donation of $695 million of his own stocks back to the company, before dying. And even then, their game sales were so dire that the next president cut their profit forecasts for the next year by 90% before almost immediately opening talks to be acquired by Sammy.

I seriously doubt they could be saved like that a second time.
Haven't they kinda expanded into a bunch of other lucrative business opportunities now though?

I appreciate the detailed explanation you gave.

Last edited:
Problem is, if it was a cheap, low powered console then Sega would have difficulty optimizing for it 😅

I've already seen Sonic marketing employees asking fans on twitter what they'd think if Sega started making "alternate" versions of games for Switch like they did for the Wii, since according to them "third parties have a hard time developing for it."

Lmao if they release Frontiers 2 on the Switch 1.

The Switch 1 just immediately melts.

100%.

So many signs that a 2023 reveal is happening.

• Factory uncle reports
  • Several websites you’ve never heard of reporting factory workings
  • Sega’s developer portal has DC2 as a listed system
  • The timing just makes sense

100%.

So many signs that a 2023 reveal is happening.

• Factory uncle reports
  • Several websites you’ve never heard of reporting factory workings
  • Sega’s developer portal has DC2 as a listed system
  • The timing just makes sense

Are you attacking the integrity of Taiwanese stock speculation websites that we have no information on the credibility of.

Don't even know if something like this is possibile, but to further elaborate.
-Cheap mobile SoC (Tegra X1 class) to develop new games with retro aesthetics.
- An FPGA chip with official Sega console/arcade cores + open-platform to let others develp/port their own cores.

A mISTER Dreamcast HD basically.

A home console with Switch 2++ Nvidia tech would be close enough.
Would never happen but I'd take another quirky Japanese console instead of the bland Xbox any day.

Haven't they kinda expanded into a bunch of other lucrative business opportunities now though?

I appreciate the detailed explanation you gave.
No, those were all things Sammy already did. Except animation, that came post acquisition, but isn't a part of Sega

Assuming I'm reading this right, I have no idea how one can come to the conclusion that an entirely new fighting game IP would be similarly risky as just continuing a well known brand. Simply having a "6" should let the average joe know this is a long-running series for a reason. Akira and co. also may not be as well known anymore, but they are, indisputably, icons. That much should still be obvious if only by Smash's cameos, even on a Nintendo-centric forum that often disregards and downplays anything SEGA does or did. They still make appearances, they still sell merchandise, they have a back catalog to exploit, etc. A new IP would have none of that.
Because the crux of my argument is like so: Virtua Fighter has unfortunate baggage to its name. Or to put it another way...

TL;DR, or just for the sake of those who can't watch: Sega has grossly mishandled Virtua Fighter over the last decade and some change. To the point that a lot of us are losing sight of a path forward for Sega to take this brand and vie it on a global stage.

When your prestige fighting game is better known for being a mini-game within another series of games? That's a problem. Let alone releasing a new revision of VF5, after all these years, and the pandemic especially making it plain that rollback and a PC release is a requirement for both the immediate prospects, as well as the long-term prosperity of your game...and doing neither. Then act surprised when it doesn't become the smash hit in NA that you expect.

So, at this point? Either Sega truly gets serious about VF at long last, or they just do something else, where the expectations won't be there any longer for us non-JP VF fans, and they can continue to be weird about VF being a JP-only fighting game for arcades all they wish. After Virtual ON's short-lived revival being attached to a JP light novel series which then crashed and burned, needless to say I personally don't have the highest hopes...

Back
Top Bottom