• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Film Iron Lung (based off the 2022 video game and directed by Markiplier) has received a proper trailer

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They

yes, that Markiplier. the generic "scarecam" let's play guy.
it actually does look fairly good despite who's in the director's chair. and will feature music by Andrew "appears in almost every Boomer Shooter" Hulshult.

Is this going to be a straight-to-youtube movie? I have to assume it is after seeing this. Doesn't seem very movie-trailer-y, more like a teaser for a Youtube series imo.

the game has received a joke promotional mode which replaces every texture with Markiplier's face.
a6d6cd41726b28a1422b30508b0e1c35e3dbe7c8.jpg

yes, really.
As of today, Iron Lung now has a few fun cheats for you to try! To activate a cheat, type the appropriate command into the computer terminal at the back of the sub. Cheats can be stacked (if you dare). There are only a few at the moment but I hope to add some more later on.

Currently, you can use the following cheats (which are also listed in cheats.txt in the game's install folder)
chmark - activates 'Markiplier Mode'

Has anyone played the game? How is it?
The game is weird. I find that the scenario is scarier than the actual final product. You pilot a submarine with no windows using a map and a coordinates system. You can take photos which take a few seconds to tell where you are. You're goal is to navigate a cave system on a dead moon to look for the remnants of space colonies after this great space rapture happened. Some spoilers: The game is rather slow and everything that happens is out of your control really. The tension is built by the player wondering what's going on outside the sub. There's some noises that come from outside the sub, there's a few jumps when the photos develop a spooky image and the game ends with a jumpscare. This set up did not do anything for me, and I find people more often praising the lore and background of the game more than the actual game itself. It makes me wonder how a movie will work because Markiplier sitting in a dark metal cylinder for an hour and a half will make a shitty movie. They've gotta be focusing on the lore for the movie, I don't know how they'd make a movie out of it otherwise.

The game is weird. I find that the scenario is scarier than the actual final product. You pilot a submarine with no windows using a map and a coordinates system. You can take photos which take a few seconds to tell where you are. You're goal is to navigate a cave system on a dead moon to look for the remnants of space colonies after this great space rapture happened. Some spoilers: The game is rather slow and everything that happens is out of your control really. The tension is built by the player wondering what's going on outside the sub. There's some noises that come from outside the sub, there's a few jumps when the photos develop a spooky image and the game ends with a jumpscare. This set up did not do anything for me, and I find people more often praising the lore and background of the game more than the actual game itself. It makes me wonder how a movie will work because Markiplier sitting in a dark metal cylinder for an hour and a half will make a shitty movie. They've gotta be focusing on the lore for the movie, I don't know how they'd make a movie out of it otherwise.
Thanks for the reply.
This is probably going to come off as extremely pedantic to most, but the concept of
oceans of human blood
, while great at invoking cosmic horror and igniting one's curiosity, turned me off a bit because it doesn't pass the napkin-math test. If you roughly estimate how many people would be required to create such a thing, the numbers are way too high. You can still run with this idea and assume they were created by some other means, or that such huge numbers are a hint at something completely different going on
such as many parallel universes worth of humans dying and all their blood arriving in the player's universe - making it a sort of hell dimension

Thanks for the reply.
This is probably going to come off as extremely pedantic to most, but the concept of
oceans of human blood
, while great at invoking cosmic horror and igniting one's curiosity, turned me off a bit because it doesn't pass the napkin-math test. If you roughly estimate how many people would be required to create such a thing, the numbers are way too high. You can still run with this idea and assume they were created by some other means, or that such huge numbers are a hint at something completely different going on
such as many parallel universes worth of humans dying and all their blood arriving in the player's universe - making it a sort of hell dimension
For me, it's the "random horror" aspect.

"Oh no, a horrible random thing has happened and now you die! How frightening!"

To me, this is the lowest hanging fruit of horror. To me, the best horror is the kind that has a logic to it, such that the truth is what's horrifying, as opposed to the unknown. The unknown can be anything. And if it can be anything, then really it's just nothing.

For me, it's the "random horror" aspect.

"Oh no, a horrible random thing has happened and now you die! How frightening!"

To me, this is the lowest hanging fruit of horror. To me, the best horror is the kind that has a logic to it, such that the truth is what's horrifying, as opposed to the unknown. The unknown can be anything. And if it can be anything, then really it's just nothing.
Hopefully this reply isn't against the terms of this forum, but witnessing real events from a Saturday last month, I'm increasingly inclined to believe that horror for the sake of entertainment isn't entirely grounded in truth or reality because if it were it would be completely unbearable.

Reexamining my criticism of this work, I think it's possible to reframe the context of such works from "cosmic horror" to "a scenario outside the realm of possibility", or in other words, a scary fairy tale, like the ones we tell children. In a sense, this is like signalling to our brains that it's ok to immerse ourselves in the horror because it is clearly made up. Thinking about it in hindsight, this may even be a staple of the genre: zombies, monsters, evil aliens, cthulhu etc.
I don't think I've ever encountered a fictional work of horror that disturbed me to my core the way recent real events have. And that is a good thing.

Hopefully this reply isn't against the terms of this forum, but witnessing real events from a Saturday last month, I'm increasingly inclined to believe that horror for the sake of entertainment isn't entirely grounded in truth or reality because if it were it would be completely unbearable.

Reexamining my criticism of this work, I think it's possible to reframe the context of such works from "cosmic horror" to "a scenario outside the realm of possibility", or in other words, a scary fairy tale, like the ones we tell children. In a sense, this is like signalling to our brains that it's ok to immerse ourselves in the horror because it is clearly made up. Thinking about it in hindsight, this may even be a staple of the genre: zombies, monsters, evil aliens, cthulhu etc.
I don't think I've ever encountered a fictional work of horror that disturbed me to my core the way recent real events have. And that is a good thing.
How would your comment be against the TOS?

(Warning: Slightly Pretentious Rant)
My complaint is basically against the chorus of people in horror threads that constantly insist that horror has to be mysterious to work.

There's a school of thought in online discussions that claims that the best horror is the unknowable horror. They decry any horror that attempts to be logical or understandable.

To me, that's a very cheap form of horror writing. It works, sure. But it's a very "one-note" form of writing that reduces all horror movies down to being different flavors of what is essentially the same thing. And it limits horror movies to being purely "shows;" it prevents horror movies from being good stories on a literary level.

Case in point: Rotten Tomatoes most highly rated horror movie (and my favorite) is "Alien," despite the fact that no one dies until half-way through the film, and it's one of the tamest in terms of blood and gore. Why do people like it? Because it's a legitimately good sci-fi movie even without the horror element. Granted, there's some mystery to that film, but not in the same sense as "cosmic horror appears out of nowhere and ***** stuff up."

Better examples: "Silence of The Lambs," "Get Out," and "US." Those movies are horror movies, and they don't rely on inexplicable mysteries to scare people. If anything, they rely on the "Truth."

I don't think I've ever encountered a fictional work of horror that disturbed me to my core the way recent real events have.
On some level, this is kind of what I mean. Knowledge can be much more frighting than ignorance.

Sorry about the rant. I am bored tonight.

yes, that Markiplier. the generic "scarecam" let's play guy.
Well that was unnecessarily rude as fuck, lol

Game was great, Markiplier is great and does a ton of good for the community, I have high hopes for this.

it doesn't pass the napkin-math test. If you roughly estimate how many people would be required to create such a thing, the numbers are way too high. You can still run with this idea and assume they were created by some other means, or that such huge numbers are a hint at something completely different going on
The beginning of the game tells you that
all stars and all habitable planets have disappeared. In the entire known universe. The implication being either that humans have propagated a hell of a lot in the future, or more likely, that the humans of Earth are not the only humans in the incredible expanse of the known universe.
When you think of it like that, it's a lot more plausible in the context of the story.

Back
Top Bottom