• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Interestingly, Nintendo has a pretty big gap in the 3rd Q of 2023

What will Nintendo release this September?

• A new, unannounced game

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • Mario Kart DLC

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • Pokemon Scarlet/Violet DLC

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • A Gamecube shadow drop

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • New hardware launch. Come on 2023 believers. Show us you have guts!

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Nothing, Miyamoto will be spending the whole month playing Starfield

Votes: 40 27.8%

• Total voters
I think that until we're definitively done with MK8, F-Zero can't be released, if it exists at all. The most likely thing, in my opinion, is an MP4 trailer in the September Direct followed by the shadow drop of Prime 2 and 3 HD. Just like they did with Pikmin.

I'm so keen to see a Starfox and Kid Icarus Uprising HD that I don't feel like talking about them. It would be crazy not to take advantage of the Switch's installed base for these two games.

It's going to be another shadowdrop. Kinda hilarious that it's the norm in 2023. I think we're looking at Metroid Prime 2/3 HD, done similarly to the Pikmin 1/2 ports.
I really hope 2,3 get the 1 treatment. MPR really spoiled me. I don't mind f they do the emulation thing for other GC games like F-Zero, Paper Mario etc, replace some textures and do higher res. But please for Metroid Prime go full remade graphics.

Based on Nintendo’s GameCube title shadowdrop strategy from the last 2 directs and Nate’s early info that 2023 is the year F-zero returns, I’m inclined to suspect a GX shadowdrop during the September Direct.

I'm really surprised Splatoon 3 DLC isn't for August. If it doesn't get announced next month to drop in August, I think August will be an empty month with NSO releases (or Metroid Prime 2 and 3 drops)

Nintendo indeed announced a decent line up but nothing indicates that 2023 is off the books for the Switch 2

A July 2023 announcement of Switch 2 + Metroid Prime 4 for November is still very possible in my opinion

I think Switch 2 with his huge power and higher end price will cater to the hardcore gamers and early adopters in the first time, and Metroid Prime 4 (4K graphics?) makes more sense to be introduced with it.

I'd love you to develop on that thought
  • November 3rd: WarioWare
  • November 17th: Super Mario RPG
  • Metroid Prime 4 is too big imo and I expect a different reveal approach, they will show a tease, give a release window and later will show a bigger trailer with a release date. If the game was coming this year I'd expect that process to have started already.
  • Nintendo said no new hardware in this fiscal year, April 23-March 24. I was skeptical at first about that, they tend to deny hw and then announce it but I actually believe them now. I think we'd know by now from the production factories if new hw is coming in the next 6 months.

So yeah imo, Metroid Prime 4 has 1% chance happening in November. Switch 2 has 1% chance happening in November. 1% * 1% = 0.01% chance of both happening,

I doubt we're going to see Mario Kart DLC unless it's unrelated to the BCP since Wave 5 is likely to land next month. That doesn't give them a lot of time to turn around the final wave of courses.

A Gamecube shadowdrop at the annual September Direct seems pretty plausible. My guess is one of: F-Zero GX / Wind Waker / Twilight Princess.

Pokemon DLC seems sensible too but we'll probably get a release window in the next week or two for the first wave.

I can also see Side Order hitting in September too. Or Zelda DLC if that's coming.

I just can't see a new unannounced game unless they were to do a mini Direct in July or August. TGS is pretty late in the month this year and unless it's another shadowdrop with a physical release 1-2 months later deal. I don't know anything about logistics but I feel a Direct and announcement in the back half of a month isn't enough time to get stock to retailers and still have copies on shelves before the month is over.

I doubt there will be any big surprises here

Pokemon DLC wave 1 will be August. Splatoon Season 5 and Side Order will be September. Splatoon Season 6, Pokemon DLC wave 2, and Mario Kart Wave 6 will be December. The Rayman Mario + Rabbids DLC wave will probably be somewhere in there as well, maybe late September.

Add in NSO drops and that's more than enough from Nintendo given that October and November both have 2 games each.

Last edited:
Metroid Prime 4 isn't happening this year now because if it was, it would've been revealed here. The only realistic gap for it now is December and I can't see Nintendo releasing it then. It has to be a 2024 game now. The only debate to be had is whether this is in the form of the Switch's last 'big' game, or whether it's been pushed back as a launch title for Switch 2 (with crossgen).

The September gap is quite strange. As prolific as they are, it feels too early to be another EPD4 project. Perhaps it will just be a pile up of Pokémon DLC, and some shadow drop, but I can't help but wonder if there's something more to it, especially with the holiday slot this year being weirdly low key.

I think Mario & Sonic at the Olympics could be the August/September game, which could be announced tomorrow at the Sonic Central presentation. Alongside Pikmin 1+2 physical release, Pokemon the Teal Mask and perhaps even a shadowdrop after a Nintendo Direct.

For August/September.

I see a lot of people missing the point of OP here. It doesn't matter if September and October are stacked. It's about how Nintendo, who isn't affraid to release two games per month sometimes this year (Kirby and MP in February, Wario Ware and Mario RPG in November) doesn't have any single game announced for September, which is usually a month they never really miss.

Mortal Kombat, Baten Kaitos, etc... it doesn't count. We're talking Nintendo published games here.

Great observation! Can see one of the talked-about games appearing (i.e. F-ZERO GX, The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker & Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 2, etc.)...

• November 3rd: WarioWare
  • November 17th: Super Mario RPG
  • Metroid Prime 4 is too big imo and I expect a different reveal approach, they will show a tease, give a release window and later will show a bigger trailer with a release date. If the game was coming this year I'd expect that process to have started already.
  • Nintendo said no new hardware in this fiscal year, April 23-March 24. I was skeptical at first about that, they tend to deny hw and then announce it but I actually believe them now. I think we'd know by now from the production factories if new hw is coming in the next 6 months.

So yeah imo, Metroid Prime 4 has 1% chance happening in November. Switch 2 has 1% chance happening in November. 1% * 1% = 0.01% chance of both happening,
i dont even think its a matter of the size of the game, just that if mp4 was coming in november they would have already announced it lol. When would they announce mp4? in september? 1 month and a half of promotion?

Yeah, I'm expecting a normal-ish September Direct, with a shadow drop.

I don't expect Prime 2, 3, or 4. Nintendo isn't going to hit up Metroid fans, a modest franchise, like that twice in 9 months. They dropped Remastered when they did, despite rumors of it being done for years, in order to get it out of the way of Prime 4. Prime 4 will show up in the September Direct, but get dated for next year, and then next year, in February, we'll see a drop of Prime 2+3 along the same lines as Pikmin 1+2.

I don't expect anything Mario, either. We got the Mario onslaught already, and I can't imagine Nintendo throwing out TTYD a few months before Super Mario RPG.

It would seem a little weird to drop F-Zero before completing the Mario Kart DLC. Assuming that's real, it would make the most sense to drop it into Spring. But I also expect it to be much like Prime Remastered - it'll look fantastic and it will hit a certain nostalgia button for some folks. And unlike Prime, people who aren't fans don't seem to have baked in opinions. That gives it a some unknown sales potential.

My working theory is that Nintendo has been banking titles the whole generation, and has been really careful with the release cadence, and now that's put them in a strange bind. The games that are left double up on the same demographics - multiple Metroid and Pikmin games, lots of GC nostalgia, several banked Fire Emblems. There is no ideal way to pace this stuff out, so gaming out their strategy is a little tricky.

Maybe they do drop F-Zero in September, knowing it's not ideal. Maybe (doubtful, but maybe) they've been banking Zelda DLC. But I think Nintendo is going to lean into "unpredictable" over the next 9 months as they try to make the most of what's on the shelf before the next gen ramps up.

Yeah, I'm expecting a normal-ish September Direct, with a shadow drop.

I don't expect Prime 2, 3, or 4. Nintendo isn't going to hit up Metroid fans, a modest franchise, like that twice in 9 months. They dropped Remastered when they did, despite rumors of it being done for years, in order to get it out of the way of Prime 4. Prime 4 will show up in the September Direct, but get dated for next year, and then next year, in February, we'll see a drop of Prime 2+3 along the same lines as Pikmin 1+2.

I don't expect anything Mario, either. We got the Mario onslaught already, and I can't imagine Nintendo throwing out TTYD a few months before Super Mario RPG.

It would seem a little weird to drop F-Zero before completing the Mario Kart DLC. Assuming that's real, it would make the most sense to drop it into Spring. But I also expect it to be much like Prime Remastered - it'll look fantastic and it will hit a certain nostalgia button for some folks. And unlike Prime, people who aren't fans don't seem to have baked in opinions. That gives it a some unknown sales potential.

My working theory is that Nintendo has been banking titles the whole generation, and has been really careful with the release cadence, and now that's put them in a strange bind. The games that are left double up on the same demographics - multiple Metroid and Pikmin games, lots of GC nostalgia, several banked Fire Emblems. There is no ideal way to pace this stuff out, so gaming out their strategy is a little tricky.

Maybe they do drop F-Zero in September, knowing it's not ideal. Maybe (doubtful, but maybe) they've been banking Zelda DLC. But I think Nintendo is going to lean into "unpredictable" over the next 9 months as they try to make the most of what's on the shelf before the next gen ramps up.
I don’t think F-Zero and Mario Kart overlap anywhere near as much as you think they do. Especially since there really aren’t many more sales to pull for Mario Kart DLC through a direct. The people watching directs that are interested in Mario Kart DLC have almost certainly bought it by now.

I mean, there's probably going to be a September Direct as always (Hopefully early in the month) where they shadowdrop a game in which they have been sitting for a while (Because Nintendo has a lot of them).

To be honest, I just want to see Golden Sun there.

No, Baten Kaitos 1&2 is not published by Nintendo. It's a Bandai Namco games.

All Bayonetta games starting with 2 were published by Nintendo.
Yes, I know the HD collection is not published by Nintendo, I just said that as BK Origins is a Nintendo game in the same vein of Bayonetta 2/3, it could count as a "Nintendo game" for september. But yes, it's not published by Nintendo.

Man, if they're doing a shadow drop during the September direct, it better be something cool and hardly accessible, like Eternal Darkness.

Eternal Darkness is never getting re-released because of a creep on the dev team.
Doesn't Nintendo hold the copyrights though?
Yes, I know the HD collection is not published by Nintendo, I just said that as BK Origins is a Nintendo game in the same vein of Bayonetta 2/3, it could count as a "Nintendo game" for september. But yes, it's not published by Nintendo.
Yeah, looking at their September releases, and seeing how Baten Kaitos is a full exclusive, at least for now, I also think they see it as their September main release.

Doesn't Nintendo hold the copyrights though?

Yeah, looking at their September releases, and seeing how Baten Kaitos is a full exclusive, at least for now, I also think they see it as their September main release.
Yes, but they'd have to credit him. Which I'm pretty sure they don't want to do.

Yes, but they'd have to credit him. Which I'm pretty sure they don't want to do.
Not necessarily. In the recent AW1&2 RC, they referred to the original devs just as "original development team". They could use a similar strategy and only credit NERD, even though it would be a port and not a remake.

Not necessarily. In the recent AW1&2 RC, they referred to the original devs just as "original development team". They could use a similar strategy and only credit NERD, even though it would be a port and not a remake.
Even so, I bet that Nintendo wants to distance themselves from it as much as possible. It has the potential to be a publicity nightmare. If Nintendo won't release Mother 3, they sure as hell won't release Eternal Darkness.

It's likely there will be a shadow drop in the September Direct, but both times Nintendo has done that this year, it's been into a month that already has a game in it. I don't think they'd do a shadow drop-only month.

Nintendo didn’t even bother putting Baten Kaitos into the western direct. It’s exclusive by default because they co-own Origins. It’s a Namco published title with Monolith supervising the art and some other changes.

Can't help but think that forcing Xenoblade Chronicles 3 DLC in two and a bit weeks before Tears of the Kingdom - where Zelda hype was at max and it ended up feeling like it got almost totally forgotten - was a big mistake when it would have had so much time to breath in all of August and September. Strange decision.

Oh well.

Back
Top Bottom