• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club Interestingly, Nintendo has a pretty big gap in the 3rd Q of 2023

What will Nintendo release this September?

• A new, unannounced game

Votes: 23 16.0%
  • Mario Kart DLC

Votes: 25 17.4%
  • Pokemon Scarlet/Violet DLC

Votes: 37 25.7%
  • A Gamecube shadow drop

Votes: 65 45.1%
  • New hardware launch. Come on 2023 believers. Show us you have guts!

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Nothing, Miyamoto will be spending the whole month playing Starfield

Votes: 40 27.8%

• Total voters

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Ok, we are a little over 12 hours from the end of the Direct. Hope all of the Mario fans have come down from their high. We saw a bunch of announcements today. Pretty cool, right? Well when we look at Nintendo's publishing schedule in the second half of 2023, there is a rather noticeable gap.

July 21- Pikmin 4
July 28- Disney Illusion Island
October 6- Detective Pikachu Returns
October 20- Super Mario Bros Wonder
November 3- WarioWare: Move it!
November 17th- Super Mario RPG

Hey now, what's up with that ten week gap from mid summer to early fall? That seems awfully long? Well, I agree. For a company that has been squeezing in as many releases as they can this year, that does seem rather unusual. Now, August isn't a big surprise. For those who didn't know, August is normally the slowest retail month of the year in the states outside of January when everyone is broke buying Christmas presents for that spoiled, snot nose nephew who will just forget about the damn thing by December 27th. What a waste of credit card debt! So yea, there are games that are released in August, but they are rarely heavy hitters.

September however is a different story. Tail end of summer. Start of the fall shopping season. That is when plenty of companies start to wind up. Nintendo has been no exception when it comes to September.

2017- Pokken Tournament DX / Fire Emblem Warriors
2018- Nintendo Labo Kit 3 / Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna- The Golden Country
2019- Daemon X Machina / The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening / Dragon Quest XI S
2020- Super Mario 3D All Stars
2021- WarioWare: Get it Together!
2022- Splatoon 3
2023- ???

While some years have been lighter/less exciting, Nintendo always brings something to the table in September. The one caveat I will mention is that Pikmin 1/2 physical will be released in late September, but there won't be any pomp and circumstance around it seeing as the digital versions dropped earlier today.

So my question is, what does Nintendo have planned for September? Another Gamecube drop? Just DLC of Pokemon and/or Mario Kart? Nothing? Everything?

September Direct might have a few shadow drops.

It's also possible they are leaving room for some some 3rd party releases.

If I had to guess F-Zero GX shadow drop on the eshop in the early September direct with a physical release later that month like with Metroid Prime Remastered.

The Pikmin 1+2 physical is September 22nd, but I do agree it still feels a little empty. Cross-posting my thoughts from the general thread:

Wish they've could've at least dropped a temp logo for the Peach game; didn't have much to work with here!

Switch_Library_2024.png

Pretty confident in there being one or two more surprises left for the back half of the year. September has nothing besides the physical launch of Pikmin 1+2 (not sure what could fill the gap though, and why it wouldn't have been here), but more importantly: Nintendo always launch amiibo alongside the release of a phsyical game (surely some benefit in shipping them to stores in tandem), and the new Zelda amiibo currently have a nebulus "Holiday 2023" date. I figure there's probably something in early December, maybe smaller or casual.

Also this isn’t the first time i’ve seen it suggested and I don’t know where it’s coming from: Nintendo aren’t publishing Illusion Island, in Japan or anywhere else.

I like F-Zero as a dark horse pick although I wonder if they feel it will be competing with the Mario Kart DLC to release it this year.

I'm on Team Pokemon MD still: that copyright from the website in Feb had to mean something and tomie's team is working on some sort of project they were busy on when i was working to interview tomie last year, and with the teases in DX1 pointing to it, I'm pretty sure a remake of Explorers of Sky is incoming.

Limited info on DP2, plus no date for the pokemon DLC make me think a presents this month or july could reveal it for a Aug/Sept drop while giving the other games info, but that's my extreme prayer hopium lol

With the rumblings of something happening in July, I like the idea of some kind of hardware release, but I don't know what it would be. I don't buy that a new generation is coming that soon (because the leaks would be huge by now), and even now seems like it's almost too late to have some kind of other revision without having heard about manufacturing for it.

I doubt physical Pikmin 1+2 is the only release in August/September, and even a big NSO and DLC push wouldn't fill the gap in my view, but I don't have any good guesses. I like SeafoamGaming's Pokemon speculation.

The Pikmin 1+2 physical is September 22nd, but I do agree it still feels a little empty. Cross-posting my thoughts from the general thread:

Also this isn’t the first time i’ve seen it suggested and I don’t know where it’s coming from: Nintendo aren’t publishing Illusion Island, in Japan or anywhere else.
To your point about the amiibo, my current guess is that F-Zero GX gets shadowdropped during a September Direct and then a physical release happens in October-early December, which is then when the Zelda amiibo will release. EDIT: Magic-Man below reminded me that Metroid Prime 2+3 is another decent possibility with Metroid Prime 4 seemingly missing this year. Their reveal could follow a segment on Metroid Prime 4 in a September Nintendo Direct and then follow the release schedule I suggested before.

Last edited:
I feel like if they had something major they'd have announced it today. I also don't expect a Pokemon presents (for Pokemon MD2) before the September direct either, otherwise why bother to show Detective Pikachu 2 and the S/V dlc today?

What I'm expecting is a Kirby's Dream Buffet style game. A $15-$25 eshop only title that gets a twitter drop announcement.

Edit: The above is for August, I'm fully on team "another gc remaster shadow drop in September physical in November/December", and that game is probably F-Zero GX.

Last edited:
It really screams that they are planning to shadowdroppped another gamecube remaster at september direct.

F-Zero GX would be a very good surprise.

They never mentioned when the Mario Kart DLC would drop, so that's probably early August. Late August could be Side Order for Splatoon, and September...I don't know? Maybe Zelda DLC if it's gonna get DLC.

Side Order in September makes sense because Octo came out around that game’s first anniversary. Weird we didn’t hear about it in the Direct though.

I can also see some digital Kirby game sliding in there somewhere. I won’t complain if there’s nothing. For the love of god let me breath I am still playing Tears of the Kingdom.

It's obviously a shadowdrop of a revival of a dormant franchise, i.e. F-Zero, Kid Icarus, Golden Sun, etc.

Because that's what I want it to be.

Switch ain't cementing this as the best Nintendo gen unless they we get something, anything to do with Fzero, Wave Race or Kid Icarus in my eyes.

At least 1 of the 3.

Why is everyone so confident that F-Zero GX Remaster will come out?
I understand that now with the NERD GameCube emulator it is easier than ever, but why does everyone trust that it will arrive?
It appeared in some rumor, is there any source that has guessed other things correctly?

Why is everyone so confident that F-Zero GX Remaster will come out?
I understand that now with the NERD GameCube emulator it is easier than ever, but why does everyone trust that it will arrive?
It appeared in some rumor, is there any source that has guessed other things correctly?

Notable leakers confirmed is existence alone with Paper Mario TTYD

Of course it can be another Gamacube game that can be shadowdropped

It seems that this is Nintendo after the end of Wii U and who knows how many GC/Wii games they have planned

It's going to be another shadowdrop. Kinda hilarious that it's the norm in 2023. I think we're looking at Metroid Prime 2/3 HD, done similarly to the Pikmin 1/2 ports.
If it follows the Pikmin pattern than they are dropped in a 2024 for direct after the Final Metroid Prime 4 trailer

It's going to be another shadowdrop. Kinda hilarious that it's the norm in 2023. I think we're looking at Metroid Prime 2/3 HD, done similarly to the Pikmin 1/2 ports.
Could very well be the case. Re-reveal Prime 4 finally and then shadowdrop Prime 2/3 hd.

Shadowdrop, Pokemon DLC, Splatoon DLC, and 3rd party stuff should cover that gap. Maybe an additional smaller game revealed on Twitter.

There's a bunch of plausible things for this year that could happen in September and December. Firstly, it wouldn't surprise me to see Splatoon 3 and Pokemon get DLC launches in September; but we know from past examples that this doesn't preclude another release.

(Gang - Baten Kaitos is licensed by Nintendo but not published by Nintendo this time around; it is effectively a third party game published by Bamco; it didn't even feature in the Direct yesterday so it is a non-entity on Nintendo's schedule)

One or more of these potential things could happen:

- F ZERO GX HD release. I'm inclined to believe this is real. It'd also add more variety to Nintendo's late year line up, which is heavy on all-ages games and lacking something like Metroid or Bayonetta in the last couple of years. F ZERO is that enthusiast-facing, critically acclaimed thing which keeps six or seven loudmouths on the Internet happy (I count myself as a loudmouth on the Internet so don't be offended). I'd prefer a more significant effort than the upscale Pikmin 1 and 2 have received.

- New 99 game. We're over 2 years on from the last 99 title, so I think the next one is beginning to feel about due. My gut instinct for this is that it would be Dr Mario, which has been absent since the mobile game a few years back. NSO could get a shot in the arm in September with a new 99 title and confirmation of some 2024 GBA and N64 titles for the Expansion Pack.

- EPD 4. Yes, they've unleashed the Stinky Horse on us all, but they've been prolific this generation. We also know that Stinky Horse was finished some time ago (second half of 2021 some time) because Nintendo didn't know what to do with it after play testing it. That's left EPD 4 time to get something else together. Two possibilities for me: a brand new wildcard title for September that Nintendo view as having significant sales potential; or a December title which is produced by EPD 4 and developed by indieszero (Rhythm Heaven?).

- HAL unleash Not Kirby: HAL usually have a team doing small digital titles alongside Kirby, like BoxBoy and Part-time UFO. It's been a while since their last outing, so this is yet another thing that feels about due.

I feel like the final few months of the year are going to be chock full of smaller Nintendo stuff, with Nintendo banking on Super Mario Bros Wonder to shift big numbers. The one wildcard for me is really EPD4, who could spring a surprise hit from nowhere.

Here’s my guesses on the schedule currently:

July: Pikmin 4, Mario Kart Wave 5
August: Splatoon 3 Side Order
September: Pokemon SV The Teal Mask, F-Zero GX HD (physical in December), Pikmin 1 and 2, Baten Kaitos

This looks a bit lopsided and weird, but I think it’s going to work out. They can toss some NSO games in to boost August further.

I feel that this summer is going to belong to DLC. Mario Kart, Pokemon and Splatoon all have DLC content scheduled to come out and they could easily spread these out after Pikmin 4 releases. TBH you could even shove both Pokemon and Mario Kart DLC in August and then reveal Splatoon's Side Order DLC at the September Direct and shadowdrop it.

I'd say it's likely they have another GameCube port lined up to shadowdrop after a September Direct to boot. After the Pikmin announcements it seems like a deliberate tactic from Nintendo to flesh out their release window with old ports. Hope for F-Zero yet maybe.

Pokémon, Mariokart, Sideorder… there is plenty of stuff that could be there.

Let's talk crazy:

Super Mario RPG was originally the September game but a hypothetical November game was delayed. Let's call this hypothetical game Betloid Lime More, and it's developed by Metro Studios in Tafton, Arkansas.

Betloid Lime More was Nintendo's original November title but has been pushed back to the spring, meaning Super Mario RPG got pushed back from September to November.

Of course, this means just one thing:

giphy.gif

Now, back to being serious for a moment, i don't see it (launching). ReDraketed in 2023 would (imo) be a Q4 launch.
And a Q3 announcement would've to be done in July.

No matter how short your want the timeframe between announcement and release to be, you gotta give marketing at least some 5 to 6 months to work with.

Mario Kart 8 DX's Wave 5, Splatoon 3's Side Order and the first Pokemon S/V DLC is due between August-September.

There ya go.

Definitely could see another GC/Wii shadow drop after September Direct, plus some 3rd party games.

Let's talk crazy:

Super Mario RPG was originally the September game but a hypothetical November game was delayed. Let's call this hypothetical game Betloid Lime More, and it's developed by Metro Studios in Tafton, Arkansas.

Betloid Lime More was Nintendo's original November title but has been pushed back to the spring, meaning Super Mario RPG got pushed back from September to November.
I posted in the Direct thread a few hours prior to the event wondering if Mario RPG was real if it was the November game if Metroid and Donkey Kong weren’t ready. I thought it could stand as one if it was full 3D. I didn’t think the remake was real so it was so weird to see my imagined possibility come to life lol.

I think during the September Direct, we either get a F-Zero GX shadow drop or a Metroid Prime 2 & 3 shadow drop.

But on a technicality, the physical copy of Pikmin 1 & 2 HD is in September, so they do have something. It’s August that’s the real story here.

It is a bit weird that we have two huge Mario games back to back in October and November, and in normal years they'd absolutely have spread out them out. It's weirder still when we consider that the Luigi's Mansion 2 port and the Untitled Peach game are likely early 2024 titles. That's a lot of Mario in a 6-9 month period, not to mention a new WarioWare and continued Mario Kart DLC. So maybe Nintendo did do some internal reshuffling of game releases and slotted in Mario games to compensate.

On the other hand, a more likely answer is the simpler one, which is that Nintendo have just released a hit movie starring Mario and want to capitalise on the hype as much as possible, especially as the bulk of Switch purchases this holiday season will come from kids desperate for more Mario after obsessing about the movie for months.

If Nintendo holds a Direct in September (which they usually do because it coincides with Tokyo Game Show), I suspect they will shadow drop something.

Back
Top Bottom