• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion In March 2005, 5 Out of 10 Of EGM’s Most Overrated Games Were Rareware Games

"Overrated" is overrated. If a game is well loved, but it "didn't click for you" then it isn't overrated, you just didn't like it. Calling something overrated is a sweeping statement that large swaths of people are wrong. If you're going to do that, you'd better have a good argument.
This is a great point, but Perfect Dark is overrated

It's like Miyamoto said in an interview that I can't find the source of but will treat as gospel to defend his honour over something that maybe/possibly/probably never happened, "Battle Arena Toshinden is proof Western Gamers care more about long titles than good gameplay."

DK64 got 9/10's across the board a few years earlier and is easily one of Rare's worst so it being there is fully justified but the rest, especially by 2005 standards, is almost definitely there because EGM thought they were avenging Miyamoto or some dumb shit. We were well into the edgy 2000's era of "your favorite game is actually shit" games journalism.

You're making the assumption that everyone who states something is overrated is making that comment because a game didn't resonate. There's plenty of games that I love that I think are overrated, because it can also be used to describe something you believe gets too much praisd.

For example, Super Metroid was the first search action game I ever played. I own the soundtrack on vinyl and I still remember the feeling when I figured out wall jumping. One of my favorite games ever. It's also regularly described as either the best game ever or the best Metroidvania ever, and I think that goes too far. The default button mapping is cumbersome, aiming is clunky, and 90s pixel art (while impressive) is not the peak visual achievement of gaming. I think Hollow Knight, the first Ori, Dread, and SteamWorld Dig 2 surpass Super Metroid in so many significant ways that the praise Super Metroid often gets has veered into overrated territory.

I don't if you'll read all of this, because I believe you insinuated I was braindead and dumb earlier in the thread. But not everyone who describes something as overrated is saying that because they believe everyone who likes a thing has poor tastes.
That's all ex post facto hogwash to justify using hyperbolic language. Nobody ever looked at a game they loved and said, "you know, I love it, but I think it's overrated" unless they first had deeply internalized the idea of a critical consensus due to something they love being criticized. The consensus discourse preys on insecurity. We're better off without it.

And I actually wasn't talking about you, actually. I don't think you're dumb at all, though I'm such a Metroidvania maniac that I'm tempted to start a fight about the term "search action." But thats been done to death, so let's not.

Hidetaka Miyazaki played Ico and went into game development. Glad he did that instead of writing about it being overrated 🙂

Hidetaka Miyazaki played Ico and went into game development. Glad he did that instead of writing about it being overrated 🙂

Explain this to me then:

j5sz4wjb62x51.jpg

That's all ex post facto hogwash to justify using hyperbolic language. Nobody ever looked at a game they loved and said, "you know, I love it, but I think it's overrated" unless they first had deeply internalized the idea of a critical consensus due to something they love being criticized. The consensus discourse preys on insecurity. We're better off without it.

And I actually wasn't talking about you, actually. I don't think you're dumb at all, though I'm such a Metroidvania maniac that I'm tempted to start a fight about the term "search action." But thats been done to death, so let's not.
Lol about this part, 99% of the time I say Metroidvania, but there's something weird to me about calling Super Metroid a Metroidvania. It's really just a Metroid game! I feel the same way about Castlevania, was Konami pulling from Super Metroid when they made Symphony of the Night or just trying to make the best Castlevania ever? That genre name didn't even exist at the time.

This is all a discussion about semantics that doesn't really matter, but I want you know that I was conflicted about writing "search action!"

Lol about this part, 99% of the time I say Metroidvania, but there's something weird to me about calling Super Metroid a Metroidvania. It's really just a Metroid game! I feel the same way about Castlevania, was Konami pulling from Super Metroid when they made Symphony of the Night or just trying to make the best Castlevania ever? That genre name didn't even exist at the time.

This is all a discussion about semantics that doesn't really matter, but I want you know that I was conflicted about writing "search action!"
In fact this type of discussion always ignores the affinity between Zelda and metroid in terms of design philosophy.I need to correct that IGA has clarified that Symphony of the Night borrowed from ALTTP and not super metroid

Donkey Kong Country had tons of flaws, and was carried by its visuals. It was nowhere near SMW or Yoshi's Island.
Everyone has their own opinion but I always enjoyed the more challenging levels of DKC as a child growing up than I did any of the 2D Mario's. I liked that Donkey Kong's characters had a little more attitude to them than Mario's. Music is subjective but from I've never read anyone who said they disliked David Wise's tracks.

I've read similar comments about DKC being carried by visuals and it always makes me wonder if the person has played the game. Or any of the trilogy of snes games.

Well, if we're putting forth substitutions, I would absolutely say Yoshi's Island deserves to be on here instead of Donkey Kong Country. Complete with the typical "bamboozled by graphics" reasoning.

Even delving into actual problems, I think Island has every criticism I could throw at DKC much worse, aside from perhaps the uneven difficulty. Island suffers much more from obtuse secrets and enemy cheap shots than DKC does. And the level design feels really sloppy next to any Mario game, like they just didn't care because Yoshi can basically take infinite hits anyway. Of all the platformers Nintendo published for the SNES, I think Island ranks almost dead last, only above Dream Land 3.

(DKC is overrated though, but it's only really egregious in the most mainstream places for some reason. The "first/only one people played" bias seems way less pronounced the more enthusiast a space gets.)

I wouldn't really know about how others received it, but in my personal experience I got up to the first boss battle and I remember something about it was so awful that I immediately turned it off.
Yoshi’s Island has the issue that a straight run to the end is ridiculously easy and trying to collect everything is ridiculously hard

DKC has much less slippery controls than either Yoshi’s Island or any prior Mario game which is why I like it so much

In fact this type of discussion always ignores the affinity between Zelda and metroid in terms of design philosophy.I need to correct that IGA has clarified that Symphony of the Night borrowed from ALTTP and not super metroid
Yeah but that's not where the name of the genre comes from. Nobody can be trusted to be honest about their influences. If you play Super Metroid and then Harmony of Dissonance, it's really hard to ignore the similarities. Critics coined the term to point out those similarities
And then later Metroid games are in some ways influenced by Symphony of the Night. The two series have become totally entangled. That's what makes it a great genre name.

Everyone has their own opinion but I always enjoyed the more challenging levels of DKC as a child growing up than I did any of the 2D Mario's. I liked that Donkey Kong's characters had a little more attitude to them than Mario's. Music is subjective but from I've never read anyone who said they disliked David Wise's tracks.

I've read similar comments about DKC being carried by visuals and it always makes me wonder if the person has played the game. Or any of the trilogy of snes games.
I think DKC1 is definitely a good, well-made, above average platformer, but as a big DKC fan, the sequels are where they iterated the gameplay into something really special. Honestly, if DKC1 cut the last world and replaced it with nothing, it'd be a better, tighter paced game.

5 out of 10 games in my list would would be Hideo Kojima games. The other 5 would be Souls games and Bethesda games.

You can trust my opinion too. I think resident evil survivor is underrated, gta 4 is VASTLY superior to 5, and that silksong is already overrated!

Back
Top Bottom