• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion In honor of Easter, what’s your favorite video game Easter Egg?

SeaBusCBus

Marth/Fox is 60/40
Contributor
Mario painting in the courtyard window in OoT

GTA San Andeas on top of the Gant bridge
“There are no Easter Eggs here. Go away.”

What are some of your favorites?

Mario RPG has some really good easter eggs, but my favorite will always be the secret code that gives you nothing

What was that Halo one with a secret thing that one of the devs made for his girlfriend/wife?

I always liked how the GBA remakes of the original Pokemon games put a lava cookie by the truck near the SS Anne

Cute little nod to all the schoolyard rumors that also gives a (very minor) reward for anyone who thought to check if the truck finally did anything after all these years

Mario painting in the courtyard window in OoT

GTA San Andeas on top of the Gant bridge
“There are no Easter Eggs here. Go away.”

What are some of your favorites?
every time a character on a Legend of Zelda game said is a secret to everyone, and the curtain in some Mario RPG, that allow Mario to turn into a 8-bit sprite of himself.

In Prince of Persia The Sands of Time you can unlock the original PoP by opening and going through a secret door around the middle of the game's story.

Day of the Tentacle has an arcade machine where you can play the prequel, Maniac Mansion.

Duke Nukem Forever taking the piss out of Halo while being an infinitely worse game is always hilarious to me.

Last edited:
I’d have to think about this more. This is the first one that came to mind:

IMG-1935.png

Special shout out to all of the cameos in Super Mario RPG. I also like the rare Mags in Phantasy Star Online that were just old Sega consoles like the Mark III.

Fuck Easter, but one of my favorite little hidden details like this is in Kirby Air Ride’s City Trial, where there are some flowers placed on high up, hard to reach places. I remember it being really neat to find those as a kid, even if they have absolutely no purpose beyond simply existing to be found.

I don't really know if it would be considered an easter egg, but the N64 costume in Super Mario Odyssey was so cool. I still wish they had done the same thing in TotK and given us N64 polygonal OoT Link as a costume.

I don't really know if it would be considered an easter egg, but the N64 costume in Super Mario Odyssey was so cool. I still wish they had done the same thing in TotK and given us N64 polygonal OoT Link as a costume.
lmao reminds me of the PS1 Solid Snake custom in Metal Gear Solid 4 xD

What was that Halo one with a secret thing that one of the devs made for his girlfriend/wife?
That was the "Happy birthday, Lauren!" message in the loading screen for Halo 3, which only had a chance of appearing on her birthday. Pretty cute.

I always liked how the GBA remakes of the original Pokemon games put a lava cookie by the truck near the SS Anne

Cute little nod to all the schoolyard rumors that also gives a (very minor) reward for anyone who thought to check if the truck finally did anything after all these years
I had forgotten about this one, and yes this still makes me chuckle.

Day of the Tentacle has an arcade machine where you can play the prequel, Maniac Mansion.
Yes this is a good one

The hidden Celeste game in Celeste is a pretty rad one.
And another good one

I never knew about this, I gotta go and replay FRLG now :D

I like developer pets.

Pokemon_Stadium_2_cat_Brawl.png
0a3cca6e39a6d394865fbaff44a66cfffb501575.png

Not sure if I should include Missile GhostTrick considering how important they are to the actual game.

Your image isn't showing up for me, but that's really cool, I completely forgot about that!

Blurry_Flurry_DKCTF_2.jpg
Thank you! I was just trying to figure out why it wasn't loading properly so I really appreciate you posting it!

Squeekly_Family_DKCR.png

DKCR_PR_07.jpg

The Mega Squeekly chase is one of my favorite parts of DKCR so I was beyond psyched to see the reference in Tropical Freeze. As one of many cool references to DKCR in the sixth world, it's my fave.

The 8 bit Easter egg in TTYD!
Staying still against the Shadow Plague Knight Boss in Plague of Shadow.
Hmm... and probably dancing with baron in league.

Thank you! I was just trying to figure out why it wasn't loading properly so I really appreciate you posting it!

Squeekly_Family_DKCR.png

DKCR_PR_07.jpg

The Mega Squeekly chase is one of my favorite parts of DKCR so I was beyond psyched to see the reference in Tropical Freeze. As one of many cool references to DKCR in the sixth world, it's my fave.
For future reference when sourcing images from wikis, I believe it's the following highlighted part in your URL. If you delete it, then the image loads properly. You basically want the file type extension to be the last part of your URL:
Rich (BB code):
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/donkeykong/images/2/20/Frozen_mega_squeekly.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140929214445

But yeah, the Squeekly chase was one of my favorite parts too! I actually didn't know the bat was named Squeekly until your posts in this thread lol. I'm one of those heretics that loved the rocket barrel levels.

All of world 6 in Tropical Freeze was awesome. Probably can't really call most of it an easter egg since it's so overt, and like... the entire concept of the world, but recognizing all the levels we trudged through in the prequel under a new light was sick

Back
Top Bottom