• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Pre-Release In 19 days, one of the greatest games of all time will finally hit Nintendo Switch

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
Happy new year, Fami! May 2023 be a great year for you all :)

I wanted to make my first thread for this year about a game I adore, one that means a lot to me, and one that I am very excited to revisit in under three weeks...

f25a7b6a-6ac7-4f46-b244-5528f43c66fd.jpeg

In 19 days, the glorious JRPG masterpiece that is Persona 4 Golden hits Nintendo Switch (and other modern consoles) at long last, finally making one of the best games ever made accessible to the broader gaming public.

Persona 4 Golden is a stunning achievement, crafting a fantastic story with one of the best developed cast of characters seen in any game ever (maybe the best cast of characters, to be honest), and touching upon themes that remain universally resonant for everyone throughout the world, regardless of the time and place (the themes of coming to terms with who you are as a person, and learning to accept yourself for what you are, flaws and all). It's got an amazingly atmospheric and cozy setting that remains totally unique for a game of this scale (the entire game takes place in one small town in the Japanese countryside), and a very unique setup for a JRPG (it is basically a very long murder mystery detective novel).

It also has all the things people love about Persona 5 within it - the same quick, slick turn based battle system, a similarly stylish aesthetic with an emphasis on the UI (though it needs to be said, in both these areas, P5 is very literally a full generation ahead of P4, if not more - which it should be! It came almost a decade later after all), the same dangerously addictive gameplay loop that blends social simulation and dungeon crawling, and the goddamn soundtrack. Guys, I cannot emphasize how incredible this soundtrack is:

Persona 4 is essentially the FF6 to Persona 5's FF7; the latter is the more popular game, the moment where the franchise finally broke into the mainstream in a big way, but that only happened because of the almost decade's worth of goodwill the brand had garnered by then. And the reason for that goodwill is this game. Persona 4 is a masterpiece, it's an incredible game, and until now, it has somehow managed to avoid being broadly accessible (or at least, as broadly accessible as a game of its stature needs to be); it originally launched as a PS2 exclusive in December 2008, then Persona 4 Golden (which is the version that elevates a good, if flawed, game to being a legitimate stone cold all time classic) was a PS Vita game in 2012... and remained a PS Vita only game until 2020, when at last it did see a Steam release! But other consoles were left out in the cold.

Until now! Now it's finally here, and I am so happy that others get to share in this wonderful game at last.

Persona 4 Golden is a really special game to me. A decade or so ago, I was in a very terrible place mentally, and it may have been one of the lowest moments of my life. This game came along and resonated with me so strongly, pulling me into its world and teaching me to come to terms with myself. It left an indelible mark on me, and after then, I would make sure to play it at least once a year every year (loving it even more each time I did that), until 2018, when I somehow managed to convince myself that it was only a matter of time until it hit at least PS4 if not Switch, and that I should wait for it to hit modern systems rather than continuing to drag out my Vita.

It's been five years since then, but finally I get to return to Inaba, and I hope you all are going to join me for the ride. I can't wait to share this masterpiece with you.

Never had the chance to play the game, but it's on my radar. Personally I'm playing Pokémon SV and Xenoblade 3, and talking about my professional Life a lot Is on my plate (but thankfully things are improving drastically), so I don't have too much time to play big games like this, but....Is a game a waited years to play on Switch, and I'm beyond extatic by this release, so probably I'll pull the trigger and buy It. Fantastic OP by the way.

Oh, I thought this was a Fire Emblem Engage thread.

I'll see myself out.

Last edited:
why all these pictures of persona 4 when the thread is about persona 3?

edit: also some of that op is not true. Persona 3 had already given the series a very good critical fan and critic reception. 4 built off of 3 just as much as 5 built off of 4, in all ways.

I just don't understand the need to ignore Persona 3 to prop up 4, especially the idea that 4 single handedly defined the series. when 3 came out, it was extremely unique, and well received because of that.

I like how this forum banned CP2077 discussion but one of the most hateful games I've played in my life gets a thread calling it one of the greatest.

If a good P3 version was coming to modern systems, I would have made a thread for it too lol

P3P isn't ideal, but it is what it is. how you feel about 4 is how I felt when 3 came out. I anticipated it so much in magazines, as preview after preview talked about its unique life simulator aspects, and as someone who loved The Sims, Animal Crossing and well RPGs I couldn't stop waiting. That year ended up being pretty bad though and that was a big escape that was split into two 80 hour chunks for me.

But yeah P3 was a big deal when it came out. It brought SMT games to an even larger audience and was pretty well loved. SMT may have never blew up in the West without P3.

also some of that op is not true. Persona 3 had already given the series a very good critical fan and critic reception. 4 built off of 3 just as much as 5 built off of 4, in all ways.

I just don't understand the need to ignore Persona 3 to prop up 4, especially the idea that 4 single handedly defined the series. when 3 came out, it was extremely unique, and well received because of that.
Definitely, P3 is the reason that Persona exists as a big, beloved IP to begin with. In continuing with my FF analogy, if P5 is FF7, and P4 is FF6, P3 is FF4; the first time the franchise saw mainstream success (at least in the west), though it remainder an under the radar thing for many; it was P4 that ended up generating a lot of the goodwill that placed the franchise on the radar of many big outlets and influencers (Giant Bomb, GameTrailers/EZA, Max Dood), and of course, P4G's "white whale" status only perpetuated that stature further.

I think in general it's not controversial to say P4 was more beloved than P3; that said, P3's contribution shouldn't be downplayed, and that's definitely not what I intend (especially since I adore P3 too!)

P3P isn't ideal, but it is what it is. how you feel about 4 is how I felt when 3 came out. I anticipated it so much in magazines, as preview after preview talked about its unique life simulator aspects, and as someone who loved The Sims, Animal Crossing and well RPGs I couldn't stop waiting. That year ended up being pretty bad though and that was a big escape that was split into two 80 hour chunks for me.

But yeah P3 was a big deal when it came out. It brought SMT games to an even larger audience and was pretty well loved. SMT may have never blew up in the West without P3.
I am extremely happy you get to go back to P3 this year then :)

Hopefully those remake rumours pan out and P3 gets the proper modern release that it deserves soon. But absolutely, even P3P is better than no P3!

Currently playing through P4G on Steam Deck (not too far in, about Late May) and it's definitely a great game. While I do have some issues with it (the dungeon segments are fun but mostly make me wish I was playing SMT instead, and I don't like the time management pressure of the social parts that much) the characters, setting, soundtrack and presentation go a long way towards making up for that

Definitely a very charming package overall and I'm eager to play more

Currently playing through P4G on Steam Deck (not too far in, about Late May) and it's definitely a great game. While I do have some issues with it (the dungeon segments are fun but mostly make me wish I was playing SMT instead, and I don't like the time management pressure of the social parts that much) the characters, setting, soundtrack and presentation go a long way towards making up for that

Definitely a very charming package overall and I'm eager to play more
The dungeons are without question the weakest part of the package. The procedural generation is much better than in most other games, but especially next to the hand crafted palaces in P5, they stand out.

The country setting might be the one thing that pushes it over the edge of being better than P5R to me. It’s just so cozy.

That and Chie.
ManOfCulture.jpeg

I think despite my initial plans I'm going to hold off on P4G and P3P for a bit - I think I need a bit of a Persona recharge after 165 hours of Royal last fall, lol - but I'll be buying these and they'll be sitting on my Switch, ready to be deployed when the time is right.

Played Golden on PC, but never completed the true ending, so I guess I will replay on Switch.

How much will the game be? If it's 20 I am gonna buy it but I doubt I will have the time to play the game any time soon. I already played it on Vita several years ago but I gotta support Persona on Nintendo.

How much will the game be? If it's 20 I am gonna buy it but I doubt I will have the time to play the game any time soon. I already played it on Vita several years ago but I gotta support Persona on Nintendo.
It’s $20, yeah

Definitely, P3 is the reason that Persona exists as a big, beloved IP to begin with. In continuing with my FF analogy, if P5 is FF7, and P4 is FF6, P3 is FF4; the first time the franchise saw mainstream success (at least in the west), though it remainder an under the radar thing for many; it was P4 that ended up generating a lot of the goodwill that placed the franchise on the radar of many big outlets and influencers (Giant Bomb, GameTrailers/EZA, Max Dood), and of course, P4G's "white whale" status only perpetuated that stature further.

I think in general it's not controversial to say P4 was more beloved than P3; that said, P3's contribution shouldn't be downplayed, and that's definitely not what I intend (especially since I adore P3 too!)

I am extremely happy you get to go back to P3 this year then :)

Hopefully those remake rumours pan out and P3 gets the proper modern release that it deserves soon. But absolutely, even P3P is better than no P3!

P4 definitely ended up bigger. It was kind of interesting, as P4 got pretty big but quite a bit of the new fanbase had never played the original game. There were really famous Let's Plays and then the anime which both contributed to its size. I think the original P4 on PS2 sold around 500k~, but then Golden came around later, which sold around 1.5 million IIRC.

Also I wasn't meaning to be super confrontational or anything I just feel P3 gets overlooked a lot lol

P4 definitely ended up bigger. It was kind of interesting, as P4 got pretty big but quite a bit of the new fanbase had never played the original game. There were really famous Let's Plays and then the anime which both contributed to its size. I think the original P4 on PS2 sold around 500k~, but then Golden came around later, which sold around 1.5 million IIRC.

Also I wasn't meaning to be super confrontational or anything I just feel P3 gets overlooked a lot lol
I think in terms of game sales, P4 originally underperformed (Japanese sales stayed flat, western sales were an explicit underperformance against some very low expectations to begin with); it was P4G, coming alongside the anime and Arena, and after a bunch of those LPs, that finally pushed it into the stratosphere iirc

And you're good! I love P3 too lol, I wouldn't want to be downplaying it, even inadvertently

but Majora's mask is already on Nintendo online
More than one game can be "one of the greatest of all time" ;)

I played this game when I got a Vita due to the insane praise. And dropped it for a various reasons with its awful writing.

I admit. To this day, I’m amaze how much this game doesn’t get almost any attention for its blatant homophobia. It’s almost feels like it got lucky it released when it did.

Whenever I get around to this game (and Persona 3), I hope we have a ST on them here, because I cannot wait to gush about my first journey through these games as I have for Persona 5.

In 19 days, the glorious JRPG masterpiece that is Persona 4 Golden hits Nintendo Switch (and other modern consoles) at long last, finally making one of the best games ever made accessible to the broader gaming public.

Persona 4 Golden is a stunning achievement, crafting a fantastic story with one of the best developed cast of characters seen in any game ever (maybe the best cast of characters, to be honest), and touching upon themes that remain universally resonant for everyone throughout the world, regardless of the time and place (the themes of coming to terms with who you are as a person, and learning to accept yourself for what you are, flaws and all).
I can see why people like P4, but to me it was just overly long and largely forgettable outside of Inaba itself. You say ‘one of the best-developed cast of characters’, but to me they just seem like a pretty stock bunch of teenage growing-pains tropes, some of which were handled very well in exploring those issues, but some extremely clumsily, some barely more than a trope (generic wisecracking best friend guy) and led by a generic protagonist who is barely a character at all. I thought the supporting characters of the main character’s family (his uncle and niece) and their house did a really good job of exploring the cracks within their own family though.
It's got an amazingly atmospheric and cozy setting that remains totally unique for a game of this scale (the entire game takes place in one small town in the Japanese countryside), and a very unique setup for a JRPG (it is basically a very long murder mystery detective novel).
I liked the small town setting too, I agree, the atmosphere and soundtrack work really well together, and the Scooby Doo vibe is cool. I liked the way the small town and the shift when you get the scooters works really well with the age of the protagonists- that increased sense of freedom plus the part-time jobs etc all sells the pressures on that precise age group well. As such, I thought Inaba was a wonderfully realised location, the music was ace too, but much of the rest of it just didn’t vibe with me at all.
! It came almost a decade later after all), the same dangerously addictive gameplay loop that blends social simulation and dungeon crawling, and the goddamn soundtrack.
See, this was my main complaint with it. The dungeon crawling is awful. The combat is fun, but the dungeons themselves, being randomly generated corridors, feel almost like an afterthought, just a challenge dropped in to provide a challenge, with no sense of place, progression, structure, inhabitants. The town itself, and the protagonists house, even the department store and the school and the town with the cinema etc all have a wonderful sense of place, but the dungeons themselves, the places beyond the magical threshold, just are barely there.

All in all, I thought the social side of the game handled some stuff very well and felt really fresh in places, so I can see why it’s so beloved. But it also stumbled really badly and felt clumsy or dated in others. And the dungeon side of the game felt tacked on. It’s one of the longer JRPGs I’ve played but by the end I was just skipping forwards hoping it would end soon. Credit where it’s due though- the bits of it I thought were very good were excellent.

Last edited:
Happy new year, Fami! May 2023 be a great year for you all :)

I wanted to make my first thread for this year about a game I adore, one that means a lot to me, and one that I am very excited to revisit in under three weeks...

f25a7b6a-6ac7-4f46-b244-5528f43c66fd.jpeg

Persona 4 Golden is a stunning achievement, crafting a fantastic story with one of the best developed cast of characters seen in any game ever (maybe the best cast of characters, to be honest), and touching upon themes that remain universally resonant for everyone throughout the world, regardless of the time and place (the themes of coming to terms with who you are as a person, and learning to accept yourself for what you are, flaws and all). It's got an amazingly atmospheric and cozy setting that remains totally unique for a game of this scale (the entire game takes place in one small town in the Japanese countryside), and a very unique setup for a JRPG (it is basically a very long murder mystery detective novel).

It also has all the things people love about Persona 5 within it - the same quick, slick turn based battle system, a similarly stylish aesthetic with an emphasis on the UI (though it needs to be said, in both these areas, P5 is very literally a full generation ahead of P4, if not more - which it should be! It came almost a decade later after all), the same dangerously addictive gameplay loop that blends social simulation and dungeon crawling, and the goddamn soundtrack. Guys, I cannot emphasize how incredible this soundtrack is:

Persona 4 is essentially the FF6 to Persona 5's FF7; the latter is the more popular game, the moment where the franchise finally broke into the mainstream in a big way, but that only happened because of the almost decade's worth of goodwill the brand had garnered by then. And the reason for that goodwill is this game. Persona 4 is a masterpiece, it's an incredible game, and until now, it has somehow managed to avoid being broadly accessible (or at least, as broadly accessible as a game of its stature needs to be); it originally launched as a PS2 exclusive in December 2008, then Persona 4 Golden (which is the version that elevates a good, if flawed, game to being a legitimate stone cold all time classic) was a PS Vita game in 2012... and remained a PS Vita only game until 2020, when at last it did see a Steam release! But other consoles were left out in the cold.

Until now! Now it's finally here, and I am so happy that others get to share in this wonderful game at last.

Persona 4 Golden is a really special game to me. A decade or so ago, I was in a very terrible place mentally, and it may have been one of the lowest moments of my life. This game came along and resonated with me so strongly, pulling me into its world and teaching me to come to terms with myself. It left an indelible mark on me, and after then, I would make sure to play it at least once a year every year (loving it even more each time I did that), until 2018, when I somehow managed to convince myself that it was only a matter of time until it hit at least PS4 if not Switch, and that I should wait for it to hit modern systems rather than continuing to drag out my Vita.

It's been five years since then, but finally I get to return to Inaba, and I hope you all are going to join me for the ride. I can't wait to share this masterpiece with you.

How long is it? 120h like persona 5?

Coincidentally, I finished this a few days ago on PC and generally enjoyed. You can't talk about without mentioned the blatant homophobia, fatphobia, and transphobia though. It's ruins several entire characters.

Still think I prefer 5 overall.

There are some good aspects of this game, like the setting and murder mystery, but your party being 1/3rd sex pests who ruin every group scene with asking for wardrobe malfunctions or crying that they can't grope the other party members brings it all the way DOWN.

Persona 3 Portable >

I like how this forum banned CP2077 discussion but one of the most hateful games I've played in my life gets a thread calling it one of the greatest.

This is true.

Queer people and women who are going to play this for the first time, be aware the bigotry is bad.

Back
Top Bottom