• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Imran Khan: Bayonetta 3 was at one point "semi-open world"

it was shit then too, just impressive shit

as in whoa how'd you get that shit hardware into such a tiny box? very cool, thank you Nintendo
Saying it was 'shit hardware then' feels like a retcon. Like calling the GBA shit because it wasn't as strong as the PSP which released 4 years later, or calling the PSP shit for not being in the same ballpark as the PS360. It being a mobile SoC more performant than previous-gen consoles is precisely what makes it good for the time, the Tegra X1 wasn't even two years old when the Switch was originally slated for a holiday 2016 release.

The Switch was top of the line when it released. It has to fit all of its hardware into a tiny space the size of a poptart. Can't be too big or heavy it's portability goes away. Has to draw a limited amount of power to keep an acceptable battery life and not burn people hands. It also had to be priced at a level that it wouldn't sell at a huge loss AND be affordable for the average consumer.

Nintendo got the best tech that meets those specifications that they could have at the time. The Switch hardware is not shit. Especially not at launch.

Game consoles and PC parts are always going to be surpassed by new tech every year. It's a moving target. The same people praising Xbox Series X and PlayStation 5 today will decry it as old tech that needs to be retired and will cry for a successor 3 years from now. It's gonna happen.

The N64 was a revolutionary 3d game console when it launched. Every system today easily surpasses it, but that doesn't diminish it's significance. Judge technology by the standards of when it was being designed/newly released. Comparing it to the rapidly changing landscape is foolhardy.

It was not always shit, will PS5 hardware be shit in it's last years ? It's a product of it's time when it launched.
Still. I do agree Nintendo is taking too much time to release their next one.
Switch has had issues since year 2 and PS5 has barely any games that are tailored made for it.

I really love the game the way it is, so I am honestly glad they didn't go in this direction; for this series I just feel a more streamlined design is a better fit. :)

And the Switch was one of the most capable mobile gaming devices on the market when it released, it was absolutely not a cheap or weak piece of kit for the time.
Comparing it to the PS5 or Xbox Series is like saying the Vita was weak cos it wasn't as powerful as a PS4, there's no logical sense in holding a 2017 mobile device to the standards of a 2020 dedicated console.

Back
Top Bottom