• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion If Yakuza 0 were to come to Switch, would you buy it?

Would you buy it?

• Total voters

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
This thread is not for discussion about whether or not it will ever come to Switch. This thread is a discussion taking place in a hypothetical situation where it is.

Let’s say the announce, in some kinda Nintendo Direct, that Yakuza 0, a game I think is the best game of all time, is being ported to Switch. Let’s also posit that it’s a great port: Locked at 30fps (I’d prefer 60 but let’s be realistic), great use of HD Rumble, and non-mandatory motion/touch screen control options for minigames where it makes sense. Nothing too flashy, no new substories or minigames or significant features, but all-in-all a great port.

My question is: would you buy it? Why, or why not?

For me, even though I own it already on Playstation, Xbox AND Steam, I’d still pick it up on Switch day one, regardless of price.

For sure. It was my introduction to the series and one of my favorite games of that year (even though the competition was strong in 2017). I'd gladly buy a Switch version at 720p/30fps for portability alone, although maybe not at $60 and only if they bother with a physical release.

Last edited:
A few years ago I probably would've, but I have since bought it on PC for super cheap so... maybe at a steep discount for a physical version.

Also at this point it's very late in the Switch generation, and if I were to get into a new franchise I want to have as many games as possible on a single platform, so I would either wait for next gen Nintendo console versions or get them on something like PC/PS5 where they pretty much have all of the Yakuza games. (It doesn't help that even if they ported 0 now, they're still uncertainty of whether future games will come to Nintendo hardware, while there is a guarantee that they'll be on PS and PC.)

If we only get 0 and nothing else, probably not. I can run it better on my Steam Deck than it would run on the Switch.

If we get the entire Kiryu collection? Then that's more likely to get me to bite. 4 and 5 seem to have various issues on Steam Deck, so having those as better functioning portable versions on Switch would be great. And if I buy 4 and 5 on Switch I have to buy the whole collection, because I'm a dummy.

Yakuza 0 is my favourite entry but I wouldn't rebuy it on the Switch or its successor. I would, however, buy it for someone else!

I already have it on PC and have finished it so I wouldn't want to pay full price (which is ~$60-80 here), but for $30-40 I'd definitely give it a second spin. The cabaret minigame especially would be a really fun fit on the switch.

Purely from your word of mouth alone I'm willing to pick it up day one (backlog be damned), but admittedly given that this would be an eight year old port, it would be tough to justify full price purchase. If this ends up being $50CAD or less, I'm still in tho

Certainly. I give Sega a lot of crap over not putting at least some Yakuza games on Switch, but it's because I care. This is a franchise that I haven't played a lot of for a variety of reasons, but what I played I really liked, so I would be there, no doubt.

It's a fantastic game, but I don't think I would buy it again on Switch. For me, action/story games like that aren't really what I want to be playing in handheld mode, so I might as well replay it on my PS5 anyway.

Plus I still need to get through the rest of the series lol.

Already own it elsewhere, and I don't really double dip unless it's a considerably old remaster of something I can't already conveniently play. I also have the rest of the series still to play through, and I don't think I'd enjoy playing a game like that handheld.

Already own it on Steam so I can play it on my Deck, no real interest for it on Switch

...I still haven't played it or a single Yakuza game tho

Absolutely. Haven't played any of the Yakuza games on PlayStation because I'd rather play it on the go if it's an RPG. At least Like A Dragon is turn based IIRC.

As part of my ongoing effort to try as many new experiences as possible, yes, I would buy Yakuza 0 if it came to the Switch, sight unseen.

At $70 only.

fjdqssqyk2a71.png

I'm not kidding, I'd buy at any price (though I prefer it at a reasonable one). They're just way too long to play on home consoles. Bought up to Y5 on PS3 but finished none of them (except Dead Souls. I did finish Dead Souls)

Yes, making this the fourth time I will have bought the game

Not dissimilar to how I have bought Persona 5 five (!) times and Skyrim six (!!) times

I voted yes but then realized I was thinking of Yakuza Like a Dragon, which plays more like an RPG. I would probably try to learn more or wait for a discount for 0.

It looks like a solid series that maybe features more cutscenes than I can stomach.

I think it's too late at this point. Even for people who would be normally be interested, the game is just simply too old and available on too many platforms at this point to garner any real interest. The ship has sailed, and SEGA have missed out on the hundreds of thousands of sales that they could've gotten if they had released it on Switch in a timely manner.

If you want a portable version, play it on Steam Deck.

Literally the only thing I know about Yakuza is that it's those games Derachi likes.

I've never seen a screenshot except for some memes, I don't know what genre they are. I know literally nothing except the title, which I literally think of as "The Penguin Game."

So, yeah?

Yakuza? No, not interested.

But SEGA, if you would release some Dreamcast games like Crazy Taxi or Space Channel 5...

giphy.gif

Maybe. I'm kind of interested in the series, like having the choice to play portable, and I'm much more likely to actually go around with my Switch than my Deck.

Yes, making this the fourth time I will have bought the game

Not dissimilar to how I have bought Persona 5 five (!) times and Skyrim six (!!) times
Clearly you're waiting on that smartfridge version to make it that lucky 7 times.

As for Yakuza 0, I'd definitely pick it up. The only Yakuza I've played is Like a Dragon/7, which I quite enjoyed, and I've heard that Zero is a great place to start for the rest of the series. Plus just hearing constant praise for it from most everyone (I have to check out the @Derachi grading scale of 0-Yakuza 0, after all!)

I'd finally give Yakuza a try if it were to come on Switch. Even if I have multiple platforms to play the game on already, the Switch factor is still a thing for me. Time and time again. The novelty of it is still there for me.

Already have it on PS4 so no. I don't rebuy games I own elsewhere without new content unless I truly love them. This includes PC, where games run much better, and I changed my primary platform from PS4 to PC. I'd rather just keep the old hardware around and replay it on that than cough up extra money for the same game again.

It's probably my least favourite out of the ones I've played (3, 4, 5, 0) so not likely. A port of 3, 4, or 5 though? Hell yeah.

I'll always love Yakuza 0. It's my third favorite game of all time. I was in a really dark place in 2017, and ended up playing it on a whim after my friend purchased it on his account. It dragged me out of depression and reinvigorated my love for gaming. No exaggeration. I think it's a 10/10 masterpiece, and I'm usually very careful about throwing that word around.

That said: I don't think I'd buy a Switch port, simply because my PS4 version is still perfectly good. I'd instead spend time shilling the game on Fami with you, Derachi, so that folks who primarily game on Switch could finally reach enlightenment.

I'll always love Yakuza 0. It's my third favorite game of all time. I was in a really dark place in 2017, and ended up playing it on a whim after my friend purchased it on his account. It dragged me out of depression and reinvigorated my love for gaming. No exaggeration. I think it's a 10/10 masterpiece, and I'm usually very careful about throwing that word around.

That said: I don't think I'd buy a Switch port, simply because my PS4 version is still perfectly good. I'd instead spend time shilling the game on Fami with you, Derachi, so that folks who primarily game on Switch could finally reach enlightenment.
My story with Yakuza 0 is quite similar.
I think that’s fair! I don’t begrudge anyone who wouldn’t buy it if it were to come to Switch, but frankly: way more people than I was expecting have said some form of “Yes I’d buy it”

Back
Top Bottom