• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware If Switch 2 launched with many models, which would you buy?

If Switch 2 launched with many models, which would you buy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bmfrosty

wins the battle!
Founder
Apologies to @Meelow , but I felt that his poll about OLED vs LCD could use some expansion.

Make the assumption that every model has some sort of expandable storage.

Switch 2 OLED 256GB without a doubt. No need for the extra storage space, plus it's expandable anyway. Add a Switch 2 Lite OLED to the mix, and I'd get one of those down the line too.

Whatever one hasn’t been taken by all the scalpers….who am I kidding, I’ll probably buy one off of a scalper

I would just get an LCD Switch 2 with 256 GB storage. I don’t always use portable, but it is nice to have the option. I mostly opt for physical too, so I wouldn’t pay extra for any additional storage. $399 feels like a sweet spot for price to me. OLED ain’t worth the extra $50 for me personally.

I would probably go with the third option, Switch 2 Lite with 512GB of storage. I haven't used my OG Switch in TV mode in years at this point.

If I had the money and Nintendo the will then +512GB, OLED HDR Lite would be my dream device

Last edited:
I need more storage, so if it comes down to the wire I would prefer having a console that can hold more games than one with OLED. If I could afford an OLED that would be great, as from what I’ve seen from me friends OLED the thing is amazing, but I don’t really need one

I'm currently handheld only and plan to be so for a while, so definitely Switch 2 Lite 512GB to start and moving on to the OLED when I have more money.

Just give me the most unnecessarily feature loaded, expensive hybrid model available because when it comes to Nintendo, I’m:

IMG-1303.gif

I’ll even get whatever expandable storage I can get at launch.

Me: I don’t need 1 TB of storage at launch.

Also me: But I should prepare for three years from now today.

I chose Switch 2 OLED 512Gig Storage $499. this is a hell of a deal.

what's the catch? that it's not realistic? lol

Probably just get the best one. The Switch is probably my favorite console of all time and I actually use it enough to justify getting the most expensive version.

Probably just get the best one. The Switch is probably my favorite console of all time and I actually use it enough to justify getting the most expensive version.
Right. Honestly, I play docked 99% of the time, but occasionally, if I'm really into a game, I'll bring it on flights or some such. I WFH 100% of the time, so it's not like I have commute time on public transit, which is where I would mostly likely play handheld. If I were playing handheld a bunch of the time, I'd spend the $500, but if I didn't travel, I'd just get the TV only.

I'd buy one of the models that docks separately, though whether I spring for more storage depends on what it's using and how much it costs to expand. Probably end up with non-OLED 512GB, unless it turns out the LCDs really suck or something.

Probably oled 256gb and then upgrade with my own storage, unless the internal storage was significantly faster than external. If that was the case I'd go for the 512gb instead.

I kinda wanna splash out on everything at launch. The fanciest model. A new case. As many games as my grubby mitts can fit. It's my first Nintendo system launch with disposable income. The Switch I scraped together the money by hoping my landlord wouldn't notice rent being late (He didn't) and couldn't afford a case so I carried it around in a big sock for almost two years. I wanna go all out this time, and I will 100% buy the most expensive feature-risk model purely for that reason.

I'd buy one of the models that docks separately, though whether I spring for more storage depends on what it's using and how much it costs to expand. Probably end up with non-OLED 512GB, unless it turns out the LCDs really suck or something.

Probably oled 256gb and then upgrade with my own storage, unless the internal storage was significantly faster than external. If that was the case I'd go for the 512gb instead.
These were questions that I couldn't really build into the poll.

My hope has been that they'll support m.2 2230 and that it will be super cheap to expand storage and that that expansion could be performant and relatively inexpensive.
Next down is the tier of CFExpress Type B, which with Nintendo working with someone like Sandisk could be as performant, but more expensive. More like what XBOX Series X|S does.
The fear is that they'll have something fast internal, but still rely on MicroSD, where the MicroSD is significantly less performant.

Can I have a Switch 2 Lite OLED? Don't care about built-in storage as long as it is expandable. Really not wanting a handheld with an 8 inch screen tbh.

Of the options you've given I'd be torn between the Lite 256GB and the OLED 256GB. I'd probably go with the Lite though at those prices. $449 is just too much for me.

Last edited:
Can I have a Switch 2 Lite OLED? Don't care about built-in storage as long as it is expandable. Really not wanting a handheld with an 8 inch screen tbh.

Of the options you've given I'd be torn between the Lite 256GB and the OLED 256GB. I'd probably go with the Lite though at those prices. $449 is just too much for me.
I overlooked it.

Depending on the size of games/DLC/updates in general either the 256 or 512 hybrid non-OLED option. I don’t want to have to do a ton of storage management if more companies have mandatory downloads or large patches.

Also me: But I should prepare for three years from now today.
Storage prices naturally go down over time so you’re better off not going overboard out of the gate

The lower storage version of the standard model.

I don’t splurge on launch systems. I’ll splurge later, after some kind of big revision.

And there’s no reason to pay for more storage upfront, when I can get storage cheaper separately later.

I'd get the most premium of the Switch 2 models if it was one of the options in the list. So it would be the Switch 2 OLED 512GB for $499.
With game systems, I usually try to get the most premium one of them.
Series X, Disc PS5, Switch OLED, ASUS ROG Ally Z1 Extreme, OLED Deck LE, etc.

A non-OLED (since I play docked 99%+), but still having the option of very occasional portability (ie: we go on vacations/trips). With higher amount of storage.

I am skeptical it'd be priced at $449 though.

I hope I can buy one at launch
So hopefully the model I want or the one that is available

A non-OLED (since I play docked 99%+), but still having the option of very occasional portability (ie: we go on vacations/trips). With higher amount of storage.

I am skeptical it'd be priced at $449 though.
Shrug. I wanted some numbers, so I made some up. Seemed like the types of numerical difference that a console manufacturer might go for.

TV 512, maybe 256 if expandable storage is good, not closed options, cheap and expandable. But a lite that can dock ( no joycons, less screen), or even regular 256 isn't off the table depending on my needs.

I would buy the OLED 512gb over the TV only one even if I hardly use the portable mode, makes taking to my friends's houses easier on their docks.

I want 8 Switch 2 TV edition which can be linked together & power boosted to PS6 level. Thanks

TV only, storage doesn't matter much as I tend to get physical games with Nintendo.

I don't play portable, so portability is useless for me.

Switch 2 256Gig Storage $399. I prefer having an LCD screen due to being safer and more affordable. On top of that, 50 extra dollars is not worth it just for more space given the MicroSD cards prices these days.

Switch 2 256GB $399...unless the pricing for expandable storage goes off the rails for some reason, in which case I'll save up the extra cash for 512GB off the bat.

Well, after upgrading to my current notebook and picking the bottom of the barrel storage option, the precedent has already been set for SD cards/USB–C drives. So the switch wouldn’t be any different.
However said notebook has 348 out of 512 GB free after 2 years. Hell, my 32 GB switch still isn’t full cause I play the same 2 games let alone the 128 GB microSD card.

Also, for the 3 times a year where I happen to play handheld, I’d still like a screen I personally could stand to look at, but if you pick LCD then no hate, to each their own.

So OLED 256 GB for me

OLED, probably 256GB. Since I still have a regular ol' LCD Switch, it'd be another upgrade beyond the Switch 2's higher spec.

I would easily go for the OLED model, purely for the screen in handheld mode, for storage it would depend on what kind of memory card the Switch 2 uses to expand storage. If it's microSD then I would go for the 256GB OLED model, but if it's some proprietary storage expansion method or something more expensive than microSD, I would go for the 512GB OLED model.

TV Only 256

i've never once used my Switch as a handheld and only play Nintendo games on it so don't really care much about space as long as it's big enough to hold a few of those(which 256 GB sounds like it would be, unlike the Switch 1 where an SD card felt like something I had to get even for me)

Last edited:
I opted for the most expensive one thinking that I was going to be in the minority and I'm really surprised. I don't think we're a good reflection of the general market, but hey, the PS5 is selling like hot cakes so you never know.

If I have to take a screen, I'd rather it be OLED, but here in this poll there's no way I can pass up the Switch 2 TV Only 256GB. Quite the bit of savings there, and I'm a docked player anyway. I'd be more than content living out the entire Switch 2 life cycle without portable play.

Most expensive one. I use my Switch every day, and I’m fortunate enough to be able to splurge on the best one.

I would get an OLED with as much storage as possible since I am probably going digital only next gen and I almost exclusively use my Switch handheld.

Back
Top Bottom