• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club If a new Nintendo Musou is announced in the next Direct, what do you think it will be?

Which Nintendo Musou, if any, will be announced in the next Direct?

• Hyrule Warriors 3

Votes: 51 23.7%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors 3

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Super Mario Warriors

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • Kirby Warriors

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Star Fox Warriors

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Xenoblade Warriors

Votes: 101 47.0%
  • Murasame Castle revival as a Musou

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 14 6.5%

• Total voters
Xeno warriors needs to happen.

Musou games to me are best for just having a good time with an IP (I don't jive with DW/SW much), and I think Mario wouldn't be that interesting lol. Xeno potential is huge for roster reasons alone, especially if they get Bandai and Square involved 🤤

Xenoblade is in the right place to do one right now imo, having just completed an arc. The roster potential alone is insane. And it’d be a good way to bring back fan favorite characters that likely won’t be in the series going forward

Realistically I’m thinking Hyrule Warriors: The Imprisoning War, which I’d also love though

Xenoblade for the 25th anniversary of Monolith Soft. I honestly hope it's either Xenoblade or Mario do not need another FE or Zelda (especially the Imprisoning War :sick:)

I really, really, really want a Xenoblade Warriors. I'd prefer it to span the whole series (and Gears and Saga), but I could also see them focusing on just Xenoblade 3 just because of how well the setting lends itself to those types of games.

Any of Zelda, FE, or Xenoblade would be fine. I think trying to use Mario, Star Fox or Kirby would be a recipe for failure.

Xenoblade Warriors - I see this thrown around and I'd probably play it, but I don't know where this idea originated from. Was there a rumor this was a thing? Is it just the hopes and dreams of fans? I have no idea.
There's never been any rumors or anything, Xenoblade would just be a pretty good fit for the format.

There's also probably a non-zero amount of hope that a big crossover sort of thing like a Warriors game might have some chance of Square Enix letting them put Xenogears stuff in, but that's still not super likely.

Probably Hyrule Warriors if it were to happen. But
honestly, hopefully for Switch 2 so they’ll actually run better.

Should be Smash really

Okay. This right here is what it should be. A Musou game full of Nintendo characters all battling against enemies together that have been featured throughout each of the franchise’s unique universes? Count. Me. In.

Probably Hyrule Warriors if it were to happen. But
honestly, hopefully for Switch 2 so they’ll actually run better.

Okay. This right here is what it should be. A Musou game full of Nintendo characters all battling against enemies together that have been featured throughout each of the franchise’s unique universes? Count. Me. In.
I think what’d be cool is a Masamune Castle Warriors but the cast is made up of expies and parodies of Nintendo characters in the style.

better question is, what style of warriors game would it be. if anything, it seems the old style of warriors game has dropped off and is only held up by the nintendo warriors games. other branded games have different gameplay styles that are adjacent to the traditional style (Strikers, Remnant, etc). there's the new DW10 that looks to be going back to the pre-9 style though

better question is, what style of warriors game would it be. if anything, it seems the old style of warriors game has dropped off and is only held up by the nintendo warriors games. other branded games have different gameplay styles that are adjacent to the traditional style (Strikers, Remnant, etc). there's the new DW10 that looks to be going back to the pre-9 style though
And even there, AoC definitely tries to lean more towards Zelda than the prior HW did. We couldn't even get the buttrock remixes anymore.

I want to see their take on a cartoony franchise like Mario, Kirby, DK or even come back to the scrapped idea of Star Fox.

Way more range for interesting stuff too.

We're finally gonna get it.
Arms Musou.
Hoping Xeno, would also take another FE or Zelda one for sure.

ARMS musou when tho??
DAMN I WAS BEATEN
edit: hey if we get xenoblade musou can we at least get some tracks from Xenoblade X, I never shut up about it and i get to bring it up again.

Should be Smash really

Nah. Trying to make it smash bros means you get a milquetoast basic roster of the protagonists of a bunch of series and the most basic stages and that's it. These games are much better when you get to play as deep dives in to the rosters of specific series than otherwise.

You get 3: Elma’s, a map theme and a boss theme
Primordia Day, and though its a long ass fight between "Black Tar" and "Key We've Lost", I'd kill for an upbeat musou style remix of "Key We've Lost". Makes sense- that was like the second or third trailer song, may as well make it the other remix we get. ;p

Super Mario Warriors or Xenoblade Warriors would be what'd I want most. I think you can get a lot of mileage out of both of those.

I've seen people mention the Imprisoning War as a setting for a third Hyrule Warriors, but I don't think I'd be too excited for that.

Super Mario Warriors or Xenoblade Warriors would be what'd I want most. I think you can get a lot of mileage out of both of those.

I've seen people mention the Imprisoning War as a setting for a third Hyrule Warriors, but I don't think I'd be too excited for that.
I don’t want a Hyrule Warriors limited to a single era again. Honestly the next one should be a shakeup but I’m not sure how. Getting to do unique LOZ take over a mashup could work tho. Like just an integrated timeline pulling who and what they want but not across dimensions this time. More like the older Super Robot Wars

I don’t want a Hyrule Warriors limited to a single era again. Honestly the next one should be a shakeup but I’m not sure how. Getting to do unique LOZ take over a mashup could work tho. Like just an integrated timeline pulling who and what they want but not across dimensions this time. More like the older Super Robot Wars
i don't know why people hate on Age of Calamity so much. It's a really well done Warriors game and blended seemlessly as a kind of BotW spinoff, and the sales reflect it.

I actually found the original Hyrule Warriors a bit jarring and janky , and was very impressed with how well KT managed to evoke BOTW within their Warriors engine. I think they can do amazings thing with a Tears inspired Warriors game , but i would prefer it to be a cross-gen with a Switch 2 60fps option.

i don't know why people hate on Age of Calamity so much. It's a really well done Warriors game and blended seemlessly as a kind of BotW spinoff, and the sales reflect it.

I actually found the original Hyrule Warriors a bit jarring and janky , and was very impressed with how well KT managed to evoke BOTW within their Warriors engine. I think they can do amazings thing with a Tears inspired Warriors game , but i would prefer it to be a cross-gen with a Switch 2 60fps option.
I liked it but all the drawbacks came from using direct assets and layouts, and it lost a bit of the flavor. Plus I enjoy it when warriors have more freedom to screw around

For me, the main problem with Age of Calamity mostly comes down to it's gimmick being really awkwardly implemented. Sheikah runes were a cool idea for a move wheel, but using them to hit weaknesses just felt super janky and never quite worked "right". Another problem is that the environment just... is the BOTW map but squished down a lot and remixed here and there. BOTWs map was never meant to accomodate Warriors style gameplay and it shows; movement between keeps is awkward at best and annoying at worst, and you can really see that in how they kinda tried to defocus capturing them in the game. HW1s environments on the other hand were clearly more designed around being usable for musou maps.

It also has a far more irritating weapon crafting system compared to HW1 that can't just be ignored by picking the highest number (like you could do in HW1). It's a grindfest where you sacrifice weaker weapons for stronger ones but it's also not too clear what strong weapons to invest in.

Basically the original Hyrule Warriors felt like a musou with a Zelda spin (the main gimmick being item collecting and strategic usage to hit big boss weakpoints). Age of Calamity feels like a (bad) Zelda game with a musou spin. It's a broader problem with Omega Force as of late - they clearly are trying to make non-musou action games but they also don't really seem to know how to properly design those kinds of games, so most of their games hit that awkward middle ground of not being very good at either.

Actually thinking on it, there’s an exception I’d make: if the imprisoning war was an Empires type dlc expansion for Age of Calamity. One Piece Pirate warriors 4 has shown they aren’t against going back and doing big expansions for Covid era games.

Basically the original Hyrule Warriors felt like a musou with a Zelda spin (the main gimmick being item collecting and strategic usage to hit big boss weakpoints). Age of Calamity feels like a (bad) Zelda game with a musou spin. It's a broader problem with Omega Force as of late - they clearly are trying to make non-musou action games but they also don't really seem to know how to properly design those kinds of games, so most of their games hit that awkward middle ground of not being very good at either.
You pretty much covered it all in your post, but this particular group, especially the bold, says it all, I'd say.

I'm encouraged by what little we've seen of Origins, and it being a more welcome "return to form and begin once more" (again...) on the heels of a previous disastrous entry. But I am definitely getting weary of Omega Force trying to fit a round peg into a square hole, when it comes grafting the Musou formula into other genres.

I find it fascinating how much people are trying to talk themselves out of the clearly inevitable Imprisoning War game. They would be fools to not make a direct sequel to what was by far the highest selling musou game ever when presented with a new cast of characters, enemies, and settings.

Picross Warriors would be better though

It's gonna have to be Wii Sports Warriors for me.

On the Wii. In the current year. With motion controls. You have to fight against the tyranny of Matt.

I find it fascinating how much people are trying to talk themselves out of the clearly inevitable Imprisoning War game. They would be fools to not make a direct sequel to what was by far the highest selling musou game ever when presented with a new cast of characters, enemies, and settings.

Picross Warriors would be better though
People expected One Piece Warriors 5, and 4 got dlc instead. After the success of that I wouldn’t be surprised at all if AOC got the same treatment

It's gonna have to be Wii Sports Warriors for me.

On the Wii. In the current year. With motion controls. You have to fight against the tyranny of Matt.
the funny thing is the Wii Sports Resort sword fighting mode is kinda already that. all KT has to do is add another 1000 enemies

Xenoblade Warriors would be rad, but I think they’d want the next Warriors game to sell. Xenoblade is bigger now but I don’t know if it’s big enough to dedicate entire spin-offs to it yet. It would be like making a Bayonetta spin-off and expecting it to sell well at all… hmm wait a minute…

Anyways I feel like Pokemon or Kirby makes the most sense. Or another Hyrule Warriors. I would also be down for another Fire Emblem Warriors based on Engage but the chances of that are near zero given that game’s sales and reception.

I struggle to think of how they’d go about Xeno Warriors, despite it making the most sense. Kinda hard to sell it as a big crossover when the franchise is interconnected already, but there also isn’t really a narratively driven event they can expand into a full story like Age of Calamity or Three Hopes.

I think setting it in Aionios would make the most sense, since it already is an ongoing war setting. I'm not just sure how they would make past crossovers work in this case.

Or the easy solution: It's just the Nopon archsage setting up a tournament because he is bored.

Back
Top Bottom