• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club If a new Nintendo Musou is announced in the next Direct, what do you think it will be?

Which Nintendo Musou, if any, will be announced in the next Direct?

• Hyrule Warriors 3

Votes: 51 23.7%
  • Fire Emblem Warriors 3

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Super Mario Warriors

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • Kirby Warriors

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Star Fox Warriors

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Xenoblade Warriors

Votes: 101 47.0%
  • Murasame Castle revival as a Musou

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 14 6.5%

• Total voters

Hailinel

Musou Mania!
Assuming that a new Nintendo collaboration Musou is announced in the next Direct, what do you think it will be? If any are announced, a Hyrule Warriors 3 set within the TotK story is probably the safest bet, followed by a third Fire Emblem Warriors. Old KT polls have also suggested other collaborations, and it's entirely possible some are just unrealistic, but at the same time, KT has made a Musou spin-off of a Ruby Party otome game. So in that sense, I can't say anything is truly off of the table.

Xenoblade for sure. Large cast, rising series, built in cross over potential, already tons of fan speculation about its viability. It won't do Hyrule Warriors or even Fire Emblem Warriors numbers, but I think it will do well for a musou in general.

Hope Xeno, expect Zelda

No interest in Kirby Warriors from me. The appeal of those games is playing as lots of different cool characters, not one character with a bunch of movesets.

I expect either Xenoblade Warriors or something from the Imprisoning War. I'm not a Xenoblade player (I'd love to begin just haven't gotten around to starting yet) but I'd honestly prefer it over another game set in BOTW's Hyrule

Probably HW3. I don't know what a Xenoblade Warriors would look like (though you could probably go pretty darn unhinged on the plot).

Murasame Castle is getting a revival as a NiOh clone/"Soulslike".

For the lols, drakengard.

But a Xenoblade warrior seems the likeliest and would surprisingly fit really well.

I struggle to think of how they’d go about Xeno Warriors, despite it making the most sense. Kinda hard to sell it as a big crossover when the franchise is interconnected already, but there also isn’t really a narratively driven event they can expand into a full story like Age of Calamity or Three Hopes.

I want a Mario Musou. It's as much my "white whale" as much as it is Koei's, apparently.

But I think another Zelda Musou (or close enough, if Fate Samurai Remnant is anything to go by) is the most likely. If anybody could take TOTK's Imprisoning War and make it actually worthwhile, it's Omega Force.

I doubt they could bring back even half of all the English actors that have worked in the four Xenoblade games. For that reason, I wouldn't like a Xenoblade Musou.

For anyone that didn’t know(possibly even including the OP), Samurai Warriors 3 had a Wii exclusive 15 mission Muramuse Castle side mode

Retooling that as a budget game using SW5 as the base with guest characters from HW and FEW could actually be a really cool project.

My vote is Xenoblade warriors tho, fits the series really well and it’s due a spinoff

Kid Icarus Warriors because it'd be really funny watching Pit show up, have everyone scream at seemingly a sequel or remake of Uprising, and then see him take on 100 Shemums and a Reaper.
Plus there's just genuinely a good variety of characters and movesets they could make with that game's cast and weapons.

I've got a feeling anything Hyrule Warriors related is gonna wait until the Switch 2, my money is on an upgraded Age of Calamity that doesn't run entirely horrendously.

If there is one Hyrule Warriors 3: ToTK edition makes the most sense to me.

I really want a Xenoblade or Kirby Warriors next, though.

Fire Emblem Warriors 3, where Shez enters the world of Engage and also gets Fire Emblem Engaged to Emblem Edelgard

8usw47t5jquc1.jpeg

Hope Xeno, expect Zelda

No interest in Kirby Warriors from me. The appeal of those games is playing as lots of different cool characters, not one character with a bunch of movesets.
...have you seen how many playable characters Kirby has? This is just the Dream Friends from Star Allies (not counting the enemies with largely the same moveset as a copy ability), and there's more pulls they could absolutely make, like Dark Matter Swordsman or Drawcia or the Dream Land 3 animal buddies.
DreamFriends.png

While I dont think there's a musou to be announced in this direct it's gonna happen in the future - and I think it's a new franchise this time around.

Xenoblade seems like the most likely to me. We already have two FE Warriors and two Hyrule Warriors on the Switch. A third edition of either series seems like overkill right now. Nintendo is usually fairly careful not to overdo it with their franchises on each platform.

My bet would be Zelda. It's been a year since Tears, no DLC, they've already got the look dialed in, the assets from Nintendo, and the Imprisoning War is sort of a layup for the kind of soap opera/time-travel-as-excuse-to-mix-characters/lotsa big battles thing that the Musou games do.

I voted Xeno, because I've never played the Xeno games, but it would amuse me to take an action RPG built around a giant cast of characters and turn it into an action RPG built around a giant cast of characters.

I'd be happy with any of those except Mario. For some reason, a Mario musou never appealed to me. I'd absolutely play a Kirby one, but I'm less enthusiastic about it than other options, too.

I think a TOTK prequel game is the safest bet, but now that Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is out, I could see a Klaus trilogy Xenoblade musou happening. I just worry that the sales ceiling is too low compared to other options to get made.

I'll also add a Pokemon Musou as a possibility, based on Pokemon Conquest all those years ago and no Pokemon retail game announced for 2024 yet. I'm not sure if that's something TPC would do with the Pokemon brand in 2024, though.

Last edited:
I voted Fire Emblem Warriors 3, although admittedly I don't think that will be the case. It was just between that and Hyrule Warriors 3, and I like Fire Emblem more so I want to see that more.
EDIT: I just changed my vote to "Other"

My own personal and incorrect thoughts:

Fire Emblem Warriors - Possible, but I doubt they'd have Genealogy AND FEW in a mainline Direct. I also think the next FEW game will be a Genealogy spinoff, so it'd have to be announced after the Switch.

Hyrule Warriors - Actually very likely IMO! We have a lot of speculation but no confirmation as to what this year's LoZ game will be, so a Warriors game could fit the bill quite easily. (Alternatively, a new 2D game for this year, WW/TP for cross-gen next year, Hyrule Warriors for 2026, and a new game in 2027.)

Xenoblade Warriors - I see this thrown around and I'd probably play it, but I don't know where this idea originated from. Was there a rumor this was a thing? Is it just the hopes and dreams of fans? I have no idea.

Mario Warriors - Honestly, this is what I wanted to vote for. At this point in time (i.e. a tired version of me) thinks that a Mario Warriors game could be pretty cool. Mario has enough characters to make it work, and the Mushrooms and different power could work like Warriors Specials or whatnot. I think this could work, but I can also see Nintendo being hesitant to turn fun, family friendly Mario and Co. into a Warriors power fantasy character. Even if the normal mooks were just Goombas. (Granted, he's in Smash Bros, but that feels more like the exception than the rule.)

In the back of my mind I’ve always imagined that the next Nintendo muso game will be one we will never expect in 100 years.
That’s why I say animal crossing gets another spin off series as animal crossing warriors, with Amiibo card functionality and all.

I'm upset at you for putting a somewhat realistic Murasame revival in my brain in such a perfect form that would suit it. Now I need to think about this thing that only exists in my dreams (TT_TT)

I want Xenoblade, a large and great cast of characters and possible interesting world design for a Musou.

I kinda expect Zelda though.

Being real, I would expect another Zelda one

But I would love a Mario or Nintendo all stars muso. Also I really don't see any oportunity for a Xeno musou

I'm upset at you for putting a somewhat realistic Murasame revival in my brain in such a perfect form that would suit it. Now I need to think about this thing that only exists in my dreams (TT_TT)
Did you see/know they’ve already revived it in a warriors game before?

Did you see/know they’ve already revived it in a warriors game before?
I do remember Samurai Warriors 3, but I still dream of them making a full action game out of it someday. I've always imagined something like a Character-Action Murasame-jo being the perfect counterpart/evolution against Zelda's more exploration-focused Action Adventure gameplay, a similar dichotomy both of their first entries shared.

Xenoblade Warriors would make the most sense imo. IP that does decently well that could use some growth, Monolith isn't going to do another one in the next 2-3 years, a large cast of characters that all have specific weapons already, some dynamics from the games that could be cool twists on the Musou formula (seeing the future, blades, ouroboros stuff).

I will say, I do feel after thte success of the last four they probably have free reign to do any Nintendo franchise they want, and I wouldn’t be shocked if they went more experimental like the rumored Lylat wars proposal(especially since the series doesn’t have a proponent dev right now). But I’d exclude Mario, it gets super constrained in these crossovers so not worth it, I remember how limited P&D Mario editions was

Mario Warriors - Honestly, this is what I wanted to vote for. At this point in time (i.e. a tired version of me) thinks that a Mario Warriors game could be pretty cool. Mario has enough characters to make it work, and the Mushrooms and different power could work like Warriors Specials or whatnot. I think this could work, but I can also see Nintendo being hesitant to turn fun, family friendly Mario and Co. into a Warriors power fantasy character. Even if the normal mooks were just Goombas. (Granted, he's in Smash Bros, but that feels more like the exception than the rule.)
The main way I'd see a Mario Musou work is basically using the same logic that's flowed in the "Mario RPGs" for years. You start off with the familiar Mario v Bowser thing, before you thrust Mario and pals into a storyline about some weirdo threat invading from another dimension, and/or dealing with some ancient prophecy possibly detailing an ancient sealed evil watchamacallit.

Only difference is that you'd have an opportunity for a larger roster of characters, because you'd have Mario and Peach's kingdom on one side, and Bowser's on the other. DLC expansions could focus on introducing members from DK's and K. Rool's respective camps, Wario, Wart, etc.

Expecting Xenoblade, but I am hoping for Mario personally. Though Kirby would be nice too.

I think Mario appeals to me a lot because I imagine a scenario where the Mario Warriors pulls from every possible avenue in terms of fanservice. Imagine Wario shoulder-bashing through hordes of Strollin' Stus on a Delfino Plaza map. Or Luigi using the Poltergust to fight Kremlings on a Donkey Kong map. Or a fight against Kamek on a Yoshi's Island map where he summons Raphael the Raven. And it's the perfect kind of game to bring back old antagonists who aren't doing a whole lot. Have a fight against Wart or Tatanga. Hell, bring in RPG characters like Cackletta or Fawful (though I wouldn't say this is likely).

You can kind of do whatever you want, which is why I would want to see how they handle that with a series as big and varied as Mario. BUT, if its just NSMB aesthetic with all the usual suspects... forget it. If it's just Mario Vs. Bowser fighting through the generic plains, desert, airship, etc... I think that would be boring.

But I’d exclude Mario, it gets super constrained in these crossovers so not worth it, I remember how limited P&D Mario editions was
To be fair, that game is 9 years old now, and we're out of the "everything has to look like NSMB" trenches. Like, all of Sparks of Hope exists, and that's probably the most aesthetically different Mario game since like, Super Paper Mario. I definitely think Nintendo also probably has more trust in Koei Tecmo than they did with GungHo, which was basically a first collab if I'm not mistaken, while Koei Tecmo helps on first party games and has been given trust to go wacky with Zelda at least.

I most want to see a Xenoblade Musou, but the scope of both Xenoblade and Musou is something I'd be kind of disappointed to see a first/only attempt constrained by being a year 8 Switch game.

...have you seen how many playable characters Kirby has? This is just the Dream Friends from Star Allies (not counting the enemies with largely the same moveset as a copy ability), and there's more pulls they could absolutely make, like Dark Matter Swordsman or Drawcia or the Dream Land 3 animal buddies.
DreamFriends.png
A Kirby Warriors with these guys would be cool, but the version of the idea I often hear pitched is Kirby eating different enemies to use a range of different weapons, which I'd find less compelling

Xenoblade Warriors - I see this thrown around and I'd probably play it, but I don't know where this idea originated from. Was there a rumor this was a thing? Is it just the hopes and dreams of fans? I have no idea.
It's never been rumored, but it started shortly after Xenoblade 2's DLC added Elma and the Nopon Archsage mentioned that he'd set the whole arena up to make his Xenoblade fanfiction reality.

It's never been rumored, but it started shortly after Xenoblade 2's DLC added Elma and the Nopon Archsage mentioned that he'd set the whole arena up to make his Xenoblade fanfiction reality.
I think one of the warriors producers mentioned it would be an interesting choice
A Kirby Warriors with these guys would be cool, but the version of the idea I often hear pitched is Kirby eating different enemies to use a range of different weapons, which I'd find less compelling
Agreed. If it’s just Kirby that’s boring.

Back
Top Bottom