• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion I still think Nintendo will make a Switch Pro (advanced) model and not a Switch V 2.0

I don’t see a Switch Pro being a thing, at this point. I think it was originally planned before Coivd happened but at this point they should be long into development for the next full fledged console so I’m expecting a Switch 2 with Switch backwards compatibility which would really be a contender of greatest console of all time if it includes upscaling/better performance for Switch games by default

So based on your definition of a fully-new successor, does PS5 count even though it uses extremely similar architecture to the PS4 but significantly more advanced versions of it? And if it does count, considering that Dane (or whatever they call it) follows that exact same path of similar architecture but significantly more advanced versions of it, would that not automatically constitute it as a successor, even if nothing about form factor or gimmick changes?
I even say what i think the PS5 is, its an iterative successor, not fully new successor...while the PS4 was fully new to the PS3. PS5 is essentially a PS4 Pro Pro, but the thing that makes it more than just a revision is that it gets exclusive games and will eventually be the defacto platform beyond a lenghty cross-gen period. If PS4 Pro would have had exclusive games, then it would have been an iterative successor, but it didnt and was just a revision. i think the days of "fully new" are largely over for consoles as the companies realize the need to keep a sticky ecosystem. I expect Dane to be an iterative successor, not a revision or a fully new platform.

I wanna focus on the iterative model scenario (with certain third party exclusives) and ponder something.

Do you think Nintendo would require or at least encourage devs to release Cloud versions of said exclusives for the old Switch to play? Like if you own the game digitally, your console will download either the native version file or a streaming client/app/whatever depending on the hardware detected. If it is a physical version and you insert it into an old Switch, it won't play the game, but will entitle you to a free cloud download.

Is such a thing possible, feasible?

Would it be too much of a hassle to implement or communicate on the packaging?
That feels way too restrictive as a requirement, especially since cloud games cost a regular fee (paid indefinitely) to host.

I'm sure some publishers will want to do this just because there is this massive install base on the base console but I don't see it being a policy from Nintendo.

I... don't know how any of what you've said invalidates my position on this.

Well, what I said was to invalidate your position that your list meant there is no way it’s a mid-gen refresh revision coming in the next 2 years but that it HAS to be a “full hardware successor”.

My post was meant to explain why the Switch is different, can’t use historical console trends to predict future behavior.

Yeah, I expect Switch games to be playable on a successor, I even expect that there will be cross-gen releases for longer than many expect, but I also don't consider that to be a guarantee of support beyond the first 2 years of the existence of a hardware successor

I guarantee you Nintendo does not expect people who are buying an OLED switch in 2022 to consider it a dead, outdated, unsupported system in 2023.

Whether Nintendo sees them as iterational releases or not, if such a new hardware release denotes a major leap forward in what is technologically possible with game development, it will be denoted as a generational leap and I see no reason not to lean into that.

Cause Nintendo has no good reason to lean into that. Cause Nintendo doesn’t do that with hardware they consider in the same family. Cause Nintendo doesn’t want the majority of current Switch owners to feel like they need to spend $499 on the new model being announced next year in order to play Mario Kart 9 and MP4.

It behooves Nintendo to make it clear that this is a refresh of the Switch platform, not a clean break. To make people understand it’s to lengthen the lifecycle of the Switch platform, not end it.

Nintendo wants to still be able to sell a bunch of OLED Switch’s for the next 4 years. They want to still have a viable cheaper option for the Switch ecosystem for another 4-5 years.

They will advertise the new model as a way to play Switch games with some enhancements to graphics/performance. Not as “next gen Nintendo gaming”.

Doing so does not invalidate the Switch's existence, it doesn't mean it disappears from store shelves or becomes unavailable for purchase, or that there would not be demand for it. The industry has, quite frankly, NEVER operated under such terms.

Nintendo absolutely wants the OLED to be a cheaper entry/viable system for years after the new model is announced next year. Not drop off the cliff like, say, the ps4 after a ps5 launch.

Nintendo isn’t trying to move gamers as quickly as possible to 4K Switch gaming the same way Sony is trying to push people over to ps5 sooner than later.

I seriously don't understand the antagonism toward the idea of the release of a hardware successor. It does not make sense to me.

I don’t think there is any more antagonism to the new model being a clean break, true successor than there is to the idea of it being more of a mid-gen refresh meant to elongate the lifespan of the Switch lol

First, I'd like those comparable revenue figures, if you have them.

Originally from this thread by ZhugeEX:

He’s continued to tweet updates on this, the % of revenue Sony makes from 3rd party sales vs 1st is more 85/15 since then.

And second, even if that 80% number is accurate, of course a percentage figure for 1st-party sales goes up in the absence of the same volume of available 3rd-party software.

If I have 20 apples and 20 oranges, I have 40 pieces of fruit, 50% of each. If you have 25 apples and only 5 oranges, you may have more apples at 80%, but you also have 25% less fruit overall.

Likewise, if Sony has significantly less revenue from 1st-party software but more revenue overall, that just means Nintendo is leaving potential money on the table.

Your fruit analogy only makes sense if the most important thing is juice, and if apples give you way more juice than oranges. You are focusing on the fruit numbers.

Nintendo isn’t “leaving money on the table”. While Sony’s overall sales revenue is more than Nintendo’s, you forget they owe ~70% of much of that back to the 3rd party companies. Nintendo keeps 100% of that 85% revenue, Sony only keeps 100% of that 15%.

For example, last holiday period, Sony had $8.45 billion in sales revenue, Nintendo only had $5.57 billion in sales revenue

However, Nintendo had a profit of $2.02 billion during that period, Sony had a profit of $767 million.

So no, Nintendo wouldn’t like to see the ratio shift, they aren’t leaving money on the table by being a primarily 1st party gaming system.

Despite all the feel-good notions about Nintendo being able to make a substantial amount of money without 3rd-parties, they are a capitalist enterprise: if more revenue streams are possible, they're going to do what makes them more revenue, especially if it does not risk them losing revenue elsewhere, and I doubt you'd think that the existence of more 3rd-party software is going to mean fewer software sales for Nintendo's 1st-party titles.

Getting the level of 3rd party support and sales that the Xbox/PlayStation have absolutely means less 1st party sales for Nintendo. Absolutely it does.

Nintendo wants the ratio it is.

This is a lot of the reason why Nintendo never really bothers to do anything to facilitate more AAA 3rd party support. They won’t change their hardware to facilitate that like Sony did/does. They won’t change the type of 1st party they output to facilitate that like Sony did/does.

for what reason do you think that would be impossible
If they do it they do it. I'm just saying I wouldnt have guessed. RDR2 doesn't seem like a game that would scale down easily. There is a lot going on there, and it feels like it would be a tremendous amount of work to get it all on switch.

It's nothing more than a feeling, so don't take it seriously.

It's likely getting far enough out that it would be better for Nintendo's bottom line to invest in a generational leap than to develop a "Pro" version.

I see the next Switch as a distinct hardware generation, but to bring back the Game Boy Color comparisons, I think on the software side we'll see a return of the "Gray Cart/Black Cart/Clear Cart" system, with Nintendo continuing to release big titles that run on the base Switch for a while, while third parties looking to port PS4/XBO games take up the bulk of the "Only on Super Switch" real estate.

I even say what i think the PS5 is, its an iterative successor, not fully new successor...while the PS4 was fully new to the PS3. PS5 is essentially a PS4 Pro Pro, but the thing that makes it more than just a revision is that it gets exclusive games and will eventually be the defacto platform beyond a lenghty cross-gen period. If PS4 Pro would have had exclusive games, then it would have been an iterative successor, but it didnt and was just a revision. i think the days of "fully new" are largely over for consoles as the companies realize the need to keep a sticky ecosystem. I expect Dane to be an iterative successor, not a revision or a fully new platform.
See, when you include New 3DS in the list of "iterative successors", I get incredibly confused, because it's not, it's FAR more in line with the PS4 Pro than it has in common with PS5, its tiny handful of exclusive games notwithstanding. Also, DS Lite, GBA SP and (arguably) Switch OLED are not "upgraded revisions", as they are even further removed from the likes of New 3DS and PS4 Pro, being that they are form factor revisions, as next to nothing about their internal hardware changes.

The way you've compressed down prior hardware releases is incredibly confusing. While I agree that the concept of "generations" aren't the cleanest, what you've done here just muddles an already complicated designation.

The simple (and commonly used) definition is that a "successor" is both:
  • Technically capable well beyond what was previously possible on prior hardware, whether it be due to:
    • major advances in computational power
    • vastly altered input methods
    • the advent of unprecedented additions in capability (example: built-in network functionality, internal storage, etc.)
    • all of the above
  • The eventual primary focus of both internal and external development in its time period
This is typically what denotes successors for a single hardware maker (where "generations" get confusing is when they try to group hardware from multiple manufacturers into the same group, leading to oddities like Wii U and Switch being the same generation).
And using this method, PS4 Pro is not a successor, neither is Switch OLED, nor is New 3DS or Game Boy Color (though just barely, because 3rd-parties weren't on-board with abandoning the Game Boy install base for a color display alone).

Well, what I said was to invalidate your position that your list meant there is no way it’s a mid-gen refresh revision coming in the next 2 years but that it HAS to be a “full hardware successor”.

My post was meant to explain why the Switch is different, can’t use historical console trends to predict future behavior.
So it's an argument born of exceptionalism, which (like all other exceptionalism arguments) has little basis in anything substantive. At least I know what I'm working with.

I guarantee you Nintendo does not expect people who are buying an OLED switch in 2022 to consider it a dead, outdated, unsupported system in 2023.
New 3DS says hi. And that one even had (albeit very few) exclusive games, no less. And would have released in a timeframe when Nintendo already knew that Switch was in the pipeline.
Game Boy Color also says hi. So does Game Boy Advance.

The OLED Switch isn't going to self-destruct on the release of a successor. Mid-cycle/late hardware adopters are a thing, Switch wouldn't be selling like it is currently if that wasn't the case. This argument is operating under an assumption that OLED Switch buyers aren't intimately aware that gaming hardware runs on a 5-8 year cycle, as though this games industry hardware cycle wasn't over 35 years old.
Cause Nintendo has no good reason to lean into that. Cause Nintendo doesn’t do that with hardware they consider in the same family. Cause Nintendo doesn’t want the majority of current Switch owners to feel like they need to spend $499 on the new model being announced next year in order to play Mario Kart 9 and MP4.

It behooves Nintendo to make it clear that this is a refresh of the Switch platform, not a clean break. To make people understand it’s to lengthen the lifecycle of the Switch platform, not end it.

Nintendo wants to still be able to sell a bunch of OLED Switch’s for the next 4 years. They want to still have a viable cheaper option for the Switch ecosystem for another 4-5 years.

They will advertise the new model as a way to play Switch games with some enhancements to graphics/performance. Not as “next gen Nintendo gaming”.
$499? Where in the vast universe did you pull that arbitrary number from?

Anyways... why would you think that the next hardware to be released being "in the same family" means that it will not be a successor? I think you'll need to tell me (with citations, not conjecture) why this is an impossibility.

I think we should also establish what the definition of a "clean break" is.

Lastly, why is Nintendo "behooved" to do what you suggest when, as I already mentioned, Switches aren't about to self-destruct at the impending release of a hardware successor?
Nintendo absolutely wants the OLED to be a cheaper entry/viable system for years after the new model is announced next year. Not drop off the cliff like, say, the ps4 after a ps5 launch.

Nintendo isn’t trying to move gamers as quickly as possible to 4K Switch gaming the same way Sony is trying to push people over to ps5 sooner than later.
That's for the market and Nintendo to work out, but a successor does not pre-determine that outcome. Again, Game Boy Advance says hi. So does the NES and SNES.
I don’t think there is any more antagonism to the new model being a clean break, true successor than there is to the idea of it being more of a mid-gen refresh meant to elongate the lifespan of the Switch lol
I'm not, contrary to the implication you've made here, steadfastly against the idea of a modest hardware revision; that is an equally absurd. What I think is possible (based on the plans of Nintendo's parts manufacturing partners like Nvidia) and what the market will bear is all that dictates my position. The market will bear a hardware successor, as it has many times in the past, and will be capable of existing alongside the predecessor hardware in the market, as it also has many times in the past.
Originally from this thread by ZhugeEX:

He’s continued to tweet updates on this, the % of revenue Sony makes from 3rd party sales vs 1st is more 85/15 since then.

Your fruit analogy only makes sense if the most important thing is juice, and if apples give you way more juice than oranges. You are focusing on the fruit numbers.

Nintendo isn’t “leaving money on the table”. While Sony’s overall sales revenue is more than Nintendo’s, you forget they owe ~70% of much of that back to the 3rd party companies. Nintendo keeps 100% of that 85% revenue, Sony only keeps 100% of that 15%.

For example, last holiday period, Sony had $8.45 billion in sales revenue, Nintendo only had $5.57 billion in sales revenue

However, Nintendo had a profit of $2.02 billion during that period, Sony had a profit of $767 million.

So no, Nintendo wouldn’t like to see the ratio shift, they aren’t leaving money on the table by being a primarily 1st party gaming system.
Saying that there's no money left on the table here is ridiculous. Since nothing is likely to harm Nintendo's first-party sales, 3rd-party releases can only add to their operating profit. What you're suggesting here is a zero-sum fallacy, that the addition of 3rd-party sales diminishes Nintendo's own software earnings, which is frankly the most absurd thing I've ever heard. So by keeping them in a position where they cannot possess even a fraction more earnings from 3rd-party sales is, in fact, leaving money on the table, saying their own software sales alone are "enough". And again, I must stress, Nintendo is a capitalistic enterprise, if there's a chance at more money earned without a sacrifice to the money already earned, they will take it. And I'll come back to that.
Getting the level of 3rd party support and sales that the Xbox/PlayStation have absolutely means less 1st party sales for Nintendo. Absolutely it does.

Nintendo wants the ratio it is.

This is a lot of the reason why Nintendo never really bothers to do anything to facilitate more AAA 3rd party support. They won’t change their hardware to facilitate that like Sony did/does. They won’t change the type of 1st party they output to facilitate that like Sony did/does.
Hmmmmm... let's see what Nintendo's president has to say on the matter, huh?

Current Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa in 2020:
As discussed in the Financial Results Explanatory Material (page 14), other software publishers plan to release a wide variety of titles for Nintendo Switch going forward. There are many genres of games that we cannot make on our own and their providing these kinds of titles enriches the Nintendo Switch gaming experience, so we are very grateful for that. Regarding the speed of growth in unit sales, the fact is that sales of Nintendo Switch software are increasing both for Nintendo titles and titles by other software publishers, and we want Nintendo Switch to be a platform on which both can continue to sell well.
And again in 2018:
Given the strong publisher support Nintendo Switch has, I would expect the number of [3rd-party] titles on it will increase a lot more. That is what really keeps the Nintendo Switch business on the right track.
Sounds to me like 3rd-parties are considered an important part of their business model that they want to improve.

But don't take just one president's word for it.

Here's former Nintendo president Tatsumi Kimishima from a financial results briefing in 2017:
... we have heard that various third-party publishers have much interest in unique features of Nintendo Switch. The ability to play anytime and anywhere on Nintendo Switch will undoubtedly bring fresh appeal to games from third-party publishers. The variety of genres represented by these titles will help Nintendo reach broader audiences than we would be able to otherwise. On Nintendo Switch, we are promoting the establishment of a collaborative framework that facilitates the creation of many successful third-party titles right away.
That sounds like an awful lot of work to put in for something that they don't want to expand upon, and again re-states that Nintendo considers it a position that they should be growing on.

And last, but certainly not least, here's Satoru Iwata, discussing the matter in relation to poor 3rd-party performance on Wii in Japan:
Using data from Media Create and NPD, he offered that DS's third to first party ratio for US and Japan combined was around 55 per cent versus approximately 45, and slightly closer to 50/50 on Wii.
Huh, a 50/50 ratio between 1st and 3rd party games in Wii, and 45/55 on DS in 2010. And, refresh my memory, but that generation was Nintendo's most profitable generation ever, was it not? Actually, let me check... yes, and it isn't even remotely close to their current profit generation. Huh. Must be a coincidence. /SARCASM
Moving on...
Iwata was thus adamant that matters had to change for the 3DS.

"We need to decrease the concern that only Nintendo software can sell well on Nintendo platforms and third party software cannot sell in the same volume.

"We will not make a trend similar to the one found for Wii in Japan now," he promised. "we feel a need to have closer ties with our third party developers from the beginning."
Lots of use of the word "need" there. Not "should have", not "would be nice to have". NEED. Iwata didn't want to go back to the dog days of the N64 and Gamecube. And while things have improved, I doubt that Nintendo doesn't hope for better.

So yeah... Nintendo wants to make more money on 3rd-parties, they likely aren't as satisfied with the ratio they have as you believe, and any insistence that Nintendo doesn't want to make more money off increased 3rd-party sales is part of some elaborate insular myth-building some Nintendo fans constructed that this part of the video game business was superfluous or unnecessary. And if I could work my will, I would disabuse every single person of this frankly backwards notion.

Last edited:
Assuming this mystery model comes out late 2022 as has been speculated, then I agree. No way we're getting a "Switch 2" (at least as far as marketing technicality goes) less than 6 years after the release of a super successful HD platform. HD as in, y'know, "games take a lot more resources than the Wii or 3ds".
Speaking of games, we also have several big things already scheduled for 2022, and several potential reveals for 2022, which puts another wrench in the "2022 Switch is Switch 2" idea imo.

It's likely getting far enough out that it would be better for Nintendo's bottom line to invest in a generational leap than to develop a "Pro" version.

I see the next Switch as a distinct hardware generation, but to bring back the Game Boy Color comparisons, I think on the software side we'll see a return of the "Gray Cart/Black Cart/Clear Cart" system, with Nintendo continuing to release big titles that run on the base Switch for a while, while third parties looking to port PS4/XBO games take up the bulk of the "Only on Super Switch" real estate.
Whatever new hardware we're getting won't be any different if it's called a "Pro" or a "2". We know a good deal about it already.

Then GBC, DSi, and n3DS were not pro models?
Like I said, the DSi and n3DS barely had any exclusives, certainly not enough to make a fuss over, and even fewer in the way of high profile games.

And how many exclusives did the GBC have? I don't remember. But even flagship stuff like Pokémon GSC was still playable on Game Boy. And the base model had been out for super long at that point so not really a big deal.

If the Switch Pro had actual new, high profile games as exclusives, first party especially, people would blow a gasket.

Like I said, the DSi and n3DS barely had any exclusives, certainly not enough to make a fuss over, and even fewer in the way of high profile games.

And how many exclusives did the GBC have? I don't remember. But even flagship stuff like Pokémon GSC was still playable on Game Boy. And the base model had been out for super long at that point so not really a big deal.

If the Switch Pro had actual new, high profile games as exclusives, first party especially, people would blow a gasket.
Crystal could not be played on GB. But yeah I was replying to you saying "all" not nearly all. I agree that if Nintendo released something marketed as Switch Pro or whatever nearly all games would be playable on Switch if not for backlash then simply for the install base.

Crystal could not be played on GB. But yeah I was replying to you saying "all" not nearly all. I agree that if Nintendo released something marketed as Switch Pro or whatever nearly all games would be playable on Switch if not for backlash then simply for the install base.
Then it sounds like we agree. I could've been slightly more specific with my language choice.

So, if software is treated the same way as it was for Game Boy Color, then we agree that the new Switch will treated as part of the Switch lifecycle timeline that gives Switch platform games enhancements…not a “successor/generational leap” kind of thing.

How many Nintendo exclusives are going to appear only on the 4K Switch over the next 5 years?

It’s pretty irrelevant what 3rd party publishers decide to do, to be honest. A few more ports exclusively to the new model doesn’t make the new model NOT a mid-gen refresh model.

And using this method, PS4 Pro is not a successor, neither is Switch OLED, nor is New 3DS or Game Boy Color (though just barely, because 3rd-parties weren't on-board with abandoning the Game Boy install base for a color display alone).

The new Switch model is going to play Switch games at 4k/60fps on your tv rather than 900p/30fps. Better performance portably. A bit higher graphics IQ.

That’s basically going to be the entirety of its unique offering over the OLED model.

While this is great, I think people are overestimating how much of a “generational leap” this is. I think people misunderstand that these enhancements will make the 900p/30fps profiles suddenly impossible or not being able to exist.

It will basically be what the Xbox X did for Xbox One games. Except Nintendo won’t mandate that publishers have to release the weaker profile model version if they want to put their game on tbe newer model like Microsoft did.

But really, we need to stop using “next gen” and “true successor” as rigid terms. They don’t mean much anymore, and they certainly don’t apply to Nintendo hardware now. They just create circular arguments for irrelevant terms.

So it's an argument born of exceptionalism, which (like all other exceptionalism arguments) has little basis in anything substantive. At least I know what I'm working with.

I mean…the Switch hybrid era, by definition, is an exceptional shift in the way Nintendo treated software and hardware development.

There are plenty of interviews and statements over the last 6 years ago where Nintendo describes all of the ways they changed and shifted the way they do business and how they perceive the new purpose/function/lifecycle of their hardware now. How they treat software development and devices are very much different.

It’s more foolish to assume it will fall in line to how they treated consoles 20 years than it is to assume they will approach this differently, imo.

New 3DS says hi. And that one even had (albeit very few) exclusive games, no less. And would have released in a timeframe when Nintendo already knew that Switch was in the pipeline.
Game Boy Color also says hi. So does Game Boy Advance.

What do any of those examples have to do with the OLED Switch?

All I said was, Nintendo isn’t releasing the $350 OLED Switch to have it be considered a dead system a year later because “the successor to the Switch” launched. The new Switch won’t be a successor.

Your examples don’t relate.

Nintendo didn’t release the true successor to the n3ds until ~2 years later. The true successor to the Game Boy Color came 4.5 years after its release. The true successor to the Game Boy advance came ~2 after its release.

The difference here is that those successor systems were completely different systems. Different architecture, different form factors, different gameplay etc, offering different libraries

Hate to break it to you…but the next system released by Nintendo after OLED Switch? Is another Switch hybrid. It will look exactly like the OLED, it will use the exact same dock, it will use the exact same peripherals, it will play the exact same games, it will use the exact same carts, it will be a continuation of the Switch family platform.

You are acting like this is a ps4—>ps5 situation. It isn’t. Sony isn’t expecting people to buy a ps4pro in 2024 as a low end option to the PSN ecosystem. Heck, I bet they stop ps4pro production completely wayyy before that. (Haven’t they already in Japan?)

Nintendo is expecting people to still buy OLED Switch in 2026.

$499? Where in the vast universe did you pull that arbitrary number from?

Anyways... why would you think that the next hardware to be released being "in the same family" means that it will not be a successor? I think you'll need to tell me (with citations, not conjecture) why this is an impossibility.

I think we should also establish what the definition of a "clean break" is.

Lastly, why is Nintendo "behooved" to do what you suggest when, as I already mentioned, Switches aren't about to self-destruct at the impending release of a hardware successor?

With the OLED model launching at $350, I now fully expect the Switch…with new 8nm Nvidia SoC DLSS hardware…to be priced $400-$500.

I gave the high end.

Since this is a mid gen refresh, Nintendo doesn’t have to worry about asking for that kind of investment…like they would if this was some kind of successor to the Switch lol.

They are fine if gamers don’t want to pay that for 4k switch for years…they can still play Switch games over the next 4-5 years by buying the OLED or Lite.

As far as “behooved”…Microsoft and Sony want people to move as quickly as possible to Series SX and ps5. They are focusing their own game design that direction, and they know their AAA 3rd party gaming revenue will depend on it.

Nintendo should make it clear that the 4K Switch isn’t a successor like those system. Make it clear they will play the same Switch games, just a different way for those who care about that stuff. But they certainly don’t want people to move on from the older Switch models to 4K Switch at a quick pace. They are expanding and lengthening the lifecycle, not trying to entice people to move completely from one platform to another.

It “behooves” Nintendo to make it clear that this is just a mid gen refresh type deal and that the OLED Switch people just bought will be able to play the majority of Nintendo games that are released 4 years from now.

That's for the market and Nintendo to work out, but a successor does not pre-determine that outcome. Again, Game Boy Advance says hi. So does the NES and SNES.

Again, this just doesn’t fit anymore.

The SNES didn’t play NES carts. Didn’t use the same controllers. Didn’t play the NES library. It launched with multiple Nintendo exclusives.

Nintendo only published 3 “major” titles on the NES after the SNES. Everything else was geared to SNES.

If you think the 4K Switch is going to launch with Nintendo exclusive games unplayable on the Lite, or that after the 4K Switch launches there are only going to be a few Nintendo games released that are playable on the Lite…I dunno what to tell you. Simply not comparable.

I just hope they consider it part of the same system family so that it has a chance to reach PS2/DS sale levels.

The new Switch model is going to play Switch games at 4k/60fps on your tv rather than 900p/30fps. Better performance portably. A bit higher graphics IQ.

That’s basically going to be the entirety of its unique offering over the OLED model.

While this is great, I think people are overestimating how much of a “generational leap” this is. I think people misunderstand that these enhancements will make the 900p/30fps profiles suddenly impossible or not being able to exist.
I don't think you comprehend the per unit performance leap the A78 has over the A57 and Ampere has over Maxwell

So, if software is treated the same way as it was for Game Boy Color, then we agree that the new Switch will treated as part of the Switch lifecycle timeline that gives Switch platform games enhancements…not a “successor/generational leap” kind of thing.

I'm thinking more in terms of how Microsoft is treating the Xbox One -> Xbox Series X/S transition. Two very clearly different generation pieces of hardware, but with cross-generation title been a bit more blurred, if that makes any sense. And the reason I think they'd bridge across the two generations instead of doing a hard cut is because Nintendo seems to be going hard on 2022, which might not leave a lot of development capacity to build showcase titles for a system supposedly launching in early 2023.

It will basically be what the Xbox X did for Xbox One games. Except Nintendo won’t mandate that publishers have to release the weaker profile model version if they want to put their game on tbe newer model like Microsoft did.

But really, we need to stop using “next gen” and “true successor” as rigid terms. They don’t mean much anymore, and they certainly don’t apply to Nintendo hardware now. They just create circular arguments for irrelevant terms.
So, I'll post this response again...
I don't think you comprehend the per unit performance leap the A78 has over the A57 and Ampere has over Maxwell
... and expand further. An A78/Ampere "Orin" system-on-chip (which, thanks to super-reliable Nvidia leaks and published information, seems pretty close to guaranteed), at the exact same wattage as the Mariko SoC currently in use (which Orin is designed to scale to), should be, at the BAREST minimum expectation, twice as capable as a Switch, which is more than just "Switch games rendered in 4K60fps". And that's being really conservative about it.

And saying those terms mean nothing "because reasons" is quite self-serving. You seem to think that the industry has completely been transformed and that invalidates all prior industry patterns. You'll want to take a peak further down this post.
I mean…the Switch hybrid era, by definition, is an exceptional shift in the way Nintendo treated software and hardware development.

There are plenty of interviews and statements over the last 6 years ago where Nintendo describes all of the ways they changed and shifted the way they do business and how they perceive the new purpose/function/lifecycle of their hardware now. How they treat software development and devices are very much different.

It’s more foolish to assume it will fall in line to how they treated consoles 20 years than it is to assume they will approach this differently, imo.
Oh, I'm so glad you brought up Nintendo's own statements, that will come in handy when I start using quotations again later on.
What do any of those examples have to do with the OLED Switch?

All I said was, Nintendo isn’t releasing the $350 OLED Switch to have it be considered a dead system a year later because “the successor to the Switch” launched. The new Switch won’t be a successor.

Your examples don’t relate.

Nintendo didn’t release the true successor to the n3ds until ~2 years later. The true successor to the Game Boy Color came 4.5 years after its release. The true successor to the Game Boy advance came ~2 after its release.

The difference here is that those successor systems were completely different systems. Different architecture, different form factors, different gameplay etc, offering different libraries
Most expectations are a March 2023 release of a successor, but no later than 2024. Which, while still using an ARM CPU and Nvidia GPU, will be a far more advanced set of chips. Just like PS5 still uses AMD CPU/GPUs but far more advanced versions of that.

The examples I gave show that Nintendo doesn't give one fig about releasing successors based on when revisions to prior hardware are released. Hell, with the GBA as an example, it doesn't give a fig about releasing successors based on when the prior OG hardware is released. By March 2024, OLED Switch will be 2 and a half years on the market. That puts it entirely in line with the timelines in the examples I gave.
Hate to break it to you…but the next system released by Nintendo after OLED Switch? Is another Switch hybrid. It will look exactly like the OLED, it will use the exact same dock, it will use the exact same peripherals, it will play the exact same games, it will use the exact same carts, it will be a continuation of the Switch family platform.

You are acting like this is a ps4—>ps5 situation. It isn’t. Sony isn’t expecting people to buy a ps4pro in 2024 as a low end option to the PSN ecosystem. Heck, I bet they stop ps4pro production completely wayyy before that. (Haven’t they already in Japan?)

Nintendo is expecting people to still buy OLED Switch in 2026.
This is putting words in my mouth in the most blatant manner possible. Go read any post of mine in this thread or any other where I have discussed this topic, tell me where I said that this successor wouldn't be another hybrid device. I've blatantly said as much that it would be elsewhere on this forum (in a thread you were in, no less). Hell, you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone on this forum making the argument that a successor won't be a hybrid with a strikingly similar design to Switch that's backwards compatible with game cards and Joy-Cons. Go ahead and try.
If you're going to continue discussing this, the very least you can do is stop constructing strawmen or shadowboxing. It's disingenuous and tiresome.
With the OLED model launching at $350, I now fully expect the Switch…with new 8nm Nvidia SoC DLSS hardware…to be priced $400-$500.

I gave the high end.

Since this is a mid gen refresh, Nintendo doesn’t have to worry about asking for that kind of investment…like they would if this was some kind of successor to the Switch lol.

They are fine if gamers don’t want to pay that for 4k switch for years…they can still play Switch games over the next 4-5 years by buying the OLED or Lite.

As far as “behooved”…Microsoft and Sony want people to move as quickly as possible to Series SX and ps5. They are focusing their own game design that direction, and they know their AAA 3rd party gaming revenue will depend on it.

Nintendo should make it clear that the 4K Switch isn’t a successor like those system. Make it clear they will play the same Switch games, just a different way for those who care about that stuff. But they certainly don’t want people to move on from the older Switch models to 4K Switch at a quick pace. They are expanding and lengthening the lifecycle, not trying to entice people to move completely from one platform to another.

It “behooves” Nintendo to make it clear that this is just a mid gen refresh type deal and that the OLED Switch people just bought will be able to play the majority of Nintendo games that are released 4 years from now.
Oh, I'm so glad that you brought up that you think the next hardware is going to be a "mid-gen refresh", your use of that phrase shook some data points loose in my head.
Because if that "mid-gen refresh" was going to happen, it would need to have been the OLED Switch, since current Nintendo president Furukawa said Switch was in the middle of its cycle over a year ago in September 2020.
Cumulative sales of Nintendo Switch have surpassed 60 million units, thus establishing a business foundation for the future. At the same time, Nintendo Switch is just entering the middle of its lifecycle, so we think this foundation will support growth that goes beyond what was achievable within the life cycle of past hardware platforms.
He restated this again in February 2021 to Nikkei.
Now, if I'm being incredibly charitable, I could understand that this quote can be interpreted a couple of different ways, such as suggesting this mid-cycle period will be elongated and the Switch will be end of cycle around 2027.
But I'm not interested in bending definitions until they break and tend to be a fan of utilizing Occam's razor, so when you consider that they want to continue to grow and maintain 3rd-party relationships for their own financial benefit (as previously established), combined with historical precedent on the matter of Nintendo hardware cycles (if not industry-wide hardware cycles), contending with consumer expectations and a myriad of other considerations, that would mean a 10-year life cycle that some of you hope for is extremely unlikely to be what he means by the Switch being mid-cycle, which would mean the simplest explanation is that its life cycle was indeed at the halfway mark at the end of 2020, properly suggesting a successor no later than 2024. Which is what I've been saying this entire time, just for the record (though 2023 is my personal projection, I've conceded that 2024 may be the year it happens).
Again, this just doesn’t fit anymore.

The SNES didn’t play NES carts. Didn’t use the same controllers. Didn’t play the NES library. It launched with multiple Nintendo exclusives.

Nintendo only published 3 “major” titles on the NES after the SNES. Everything else was geared to SNES.

If you think the 4K Switch is going to launch with Nintendo exclusive games unplayable on the Lite, or that after the 4K Switch launches there are only going to be a few Nintendo games released that are playable on the Lite…I dunno what to tell you. Simply not comparable.
I don't think that, I think that cross-gen could absolutely be a thing... but it wouldn't necessarily have to exist for every title they release, nor will they demand that from 3rd-parties, nor do I see it continuing beyond the first 1 or 2 years. Heck, Nintendo was publishing SNES games in 1999 over in Japan, 3 years after the N64 was introduced, and selling plenty of its existing software lineup, as well, in spite of the presence of new hardware. I don't see why that can't happen with Switch, with some titles being cross-gen. But I'm also looking at past hardware and thinking extended cross-gen support is hardly a guarantee, it could really go either way there. Additionally, NES hardware kept selling quite well for at least 2 years after the introduction of the SNES, and the same was demonstrably true of the SNES.

The point of those examples is to say that, in spite of few to no new releases from Nintendo, the hardware that Nintendo largely stopped developing for continued to sell great for over a year past the introduction of a successor. Discontinuing software development for older hardware does not inherently equate to a death sentence for said hardware. Besides, I wasn't the one arguing that sales, new software development and support would "drop off a cliff" merely because a successor existed, that was all on you.

EDIT: Made a citation correction

Last edited:
So OP basically means Nintendo will positioning like Switch Advance instead of Switch 2 because record for best selling console of all time?
Nintendo dont care about records sales title, and they will not make plans based on that.

Also you dont need "Advance" or "Pro" positioning to have multiplatform games for older Switch hardware for some time,
I mean look at PS5/XBsS-X where they will entering its 2nd year on market and they still have 90%+ of all their games multiplatform with PS4/XB1,
so similar would be for Switch 2 also, for around 2 years around 80-90% all Switch games would be multiplatform games with current Switch units.

Nintendo already stated that they will approach the Apple Route with the Nintendo Switch.

There will be a new Nintendo Switch (Model) with different Improvements every 1-2 Years in regular Intervals.

I've really struggled with this myself, but if the hardware exists as rumored it almost can't be less than a Switch 2. it doesn't make any sense but if the rumors are to believed it's happening

Im curious people who bought the oled, are you going to be picking up the switch pro if it comes out next year or stick with your oled?

they never said anything about new models coming every x year, they were talking about how there's one platform that all models will use, so games can span generations

Please read the whole Article by Nintendo Life :)

Nintendo clearly stated that they would like to approach the Apple Route which is to releasing new improved Hardware (iPhones & iPads) that supports all previous Software (Apps & Video Games) in regular Intervals (1-2 Years) which Nintendo is now realising with the Nintendo Switch (Nintendo Switch Lite & Nintendo Switch - New Edition & Nintendo Switch - OLED-Model).

Nintendo is clearly approaching the Apple Route with the Nintendo Switch and that's why Nintendo will release a new improved Nintendo Switch (Model) in regular Intervals (1-2 Years) until Nintendo releases their new Generation Console(s).

Last edited:

Please read the whole Article by Nintendo Life :)

Nintendo clearly stated that they would like to approach the Apple Route which is to releasing new improved Hardware (iPhones & iPads) that supports all previous Software (Apps & Video Games) in regular Intervals (1-2 Years) which Nintendo is now realising with the Nintendo Switch (Nintendo Switch Lite & Nintendo Switch - New Edition & Nintendo Switch - OLED-Model).

Nintendo is clearly approaching the Apple Route with the Nintendo Switch and that's why Nintendo will release a new improved Nintendo Switch (Model) in regular Intervals (1-2 Years) until Nintendo releases their new Generation Console(s).
where in teh article is it saying new hardware regular intervals? Iwata was talking about the software development environment

where in teh article is it saying new hardware regular intervals? Iwata was talking about the software development environment

You're clearly not reading the Article by Nintendo Life and previous Posts carefully and don't understand the whole Picture of Nintendo's Strategy with the Nintendo Switch.

Last edited:

You're clearly not reading the Article by Nintendo Life and previous Posts carefully and don't understand the whole Picture of Nintendo's Strategy with the Nintendo Switch.
ILikeFeet most certainly is reading it. So am I.
To cite a specific case, Apple is able to release smart devices with various form factors one after another because there is one way of programming adopted by all platforms. Apple has a common platform called iOS. Another example is Android. Though there are various models, Android does not face software shortages because there is one common way of programming on the Android platform that works with various models.

The point is, Nintendo platforms should be like those two examples. Whether we will ultimately need just one device will be determined by what consumers demand in the future, and that is not something we know at the moment. However, we are hoping to change and correct the situation in which we develop games for different platforms individually and sometimes disappoint consumers with game shortages as we attempt to move from one platform to another, and we believe that we will be able to deliver tangible results in the future.
Iwata is absolutely talking about the software development environment and how it relates to hardware, the bolded lines make that abundantly clear.
He's discussing how they are committing to a set of components (ARM CPUs and Nvidia GPUs) to ensure they can make interoperable software development tools across multiple hardware platforms, to make software easily backward compatible and/or to ensure that work done on one platform can be easily carried forward to a new one, should they desire to do so. This is the scenario they are hoping to avoid:
Currently it requires a huge amount of effort to port Wii software to Nintendo 3DS because not only their resolutions but also the methods of software development are entirely different. The same thing happens when we try to port Nintendo 3DS software to Wii U. If the transition of software from platform to platform can be made simpler, this will help solve the problem of game shortages in the launch periods of new platforms. Also, as technological advances took place at such a dramatic rate, and we were forced to choose the best technologies for video games under cost restrictions, each time we developed a new platform, we always ended up developing a system that was completely different from its predecessor.

that quote is not in the article and still has no relevance since none of those words appear. I don't know how you came to that conclusion, but it does not follow your reference

ILikeFeet most certainly is reading it. So am I.

Iwata is absolutely talking about the software development environment and how it relates to hardware, the bolded lines make that abundantly clear.
He's discussing how they are committing to a set of components (ARM CPUs and Nvidia GPUs) to ensure they can make interoperable software development tools across multiple hardware platforms, to make software easily backward compatible and/or to ensure that work done on one platform can be easily carried forward to a new one, should they desire to do so. This is the scenario they are hoping to avoid:
The Software and Video Game Development aspect is another benefit of Apple's Approach which Nintendo's Strategy is with the Nintendo Switch.

If you're carefully watching Nintendo in the Market than you'll notice that Nintendo is releasing a new Nintendo Switch (Nintendo Switch Lite & Nintendo Switch - New Edition & Nintendo Switch - OLED-Model) in regular Intervals (1-2 Years) like Apple is doing with their Hardware (iPhone & iPad).

Nintendo's Strategy is absolutely obvious with the Nintendo Switch!

If you're carefully watching Nintendo in the Market than you'll notice that Nintendo is releasing a new Nintendo Switch (Nintendo Switch Lite & Nintendo Switch - New Edition & Nintendo Switch - OLED-Model) in regular Intervals (1-2 Years) like Apple is doing with their Hardware (iPhone & iPad).

Nintendo's Strategy is absolutely obvious with the Nintendo Switch!
They're releasing form factors with incredibly similar innards. That isn't what Apple does with their iOS hardware (hardware revisions with new SoCs that nearly double performance and with advanced features once per year, with form factor changes every handful of years). To equate the two is... a take.

They're releasing form factors with incredibly similar innards. That isn't what Apple does with their iOS hardware (hardware revisions with new SoCs that nearly double performance and with advanced features once per year, with form factor changes every handful of years). To equate the two is... a take.

the thing that they've been doing since the original gameboy? that has nothing to do with the article you posted nor your incorrect conclusion from it
You're clearly not able or don't want to see Nintendo's Strategy with the Nintendo Switch :)

I'm giving Up!

No I get it.

I don’t think you comprehend that Nintendo is still going to be targeting a 720p/60fps profile for almost all their games in 2026.

The number of Switch owners who choose to take advantage of DLSS to get 4K Mario Kart when docked is going to be relatively low. The number of Switch owners who don’t primarily play on a 2019 Switch or a Lite or an OLED Switch will be relatively low.

You can throw out CPU speed differences all you want. It won’t change the Nintendo Switch library much from what we’ve been accustomed to the last 4.5 years.

No I get it.

I don’t think you comprehend that Nintendo is still going to be targeting a 720p/60fps profile for almost all their games in 2026.

The number of Switch owners who choose to take advantage of DLSS to get 4K Mario Kart when docked is going to be relatively low. The number of Switch owners who don’t primarily play on a 2019 Switch or a Lite or an OLED Switch will be relatively low.

You can throw out CPU speed differences all you want. It won’t change the Nintendo Switch library much from what we’ve been accustomed to the last 4.5 years.
Where are you even pulling these numbers from

The number of Switch owners who choose to take advantage of DLSS to get 4K Mario Kart when docked is going to be relatively low.
I'm not sure if Mario Kart is a good example since I don't think Nintendo games generally allow consumers to change the display settings, where consumers can enable or disable DLSS, choose which DLSS setting to enable, etc. (at least for PC games with DLSS support).

Where are you even pulling these numbers from

Which numbers?

4k? That’s the idea behind the new Switch according to developers working with the devkits. 4k output.

720p? I’m assuming the new Switch will have the exact same screen as the OLED Switch.

No matter how powerful this new Switch is, every Nintendo game is going to have a 720p profile target for portable…just like the current Switch. While the new Switch raw power will allow more graphics/performance within the 720p rendering…it’s very simple to have a 540p-720p version with a bit of that reduced for the OLED Switch and Switch Lite to run it.

Just like every current Switch game is designed.

In other words…nothing about the new Switch power will make it impossible for Nintendo games to be in playing on the current Switch system. For the entire lifespan of this new Switch model.

I'm not sure if Mario Kart is a good example since I don't think Nintendo games generally allow consumers to change the display settings, where consumers can enable or disable DLSS, choose which DLSS setting to enable, etc. (at least for PC games with DLSS support).

I basically meant that the number of Switch gamers who want to pay a premium to play Mario Kart 9 in DLSS 4K mode (buy a $400 new Switch to do it) will be relatively low compared to the number who chose to play it on their current Switch at 1080p with similar graphics as Mario Kart 8.

It was to further reiterate why Nintendo is always going to design their games with a version that runs on the tx1+ models…during pretty much the entire lifespan of the Dane model.

3rd party publishers can do what they want. They will certainly try some 4k/DLSS exclusives and ignore the OLED Switch for sure. Doesn’t mean much though.

As for what you are saying, I don’t imagine the new Switch will let users choose profiles (like choosing performance mode or quality mode). It could, but I doubt it. Maybe they will allow 3rd party that option, but it’s seems to me Nintendo will balance graphics/performance in DLSS mode according to what they think is best.

I basically meant that the number of Switch gamers who want to pay a premium to play Mario Kart 9 in DLSS 4K mode (buy a $400 new Switch to do it) will be relatively low compared to the number who chose to play it on their current Switch at 1080p with similar graphics as Mario Kart 8.

It was to further reiterate why Nintendo is always going to design their games with a version that runs on the tx1+ models…during pretty much the entire lifespan of the Dane model.

3rd party publishers can do what they want. They will certainly try some 4k/DLSS exclusives and ignore the OLED Switch for sure. Doesn’t mean much though.

As for what you are saying, I don’t imagine the new Switch will let users choose profiles (like choosing performance mode or quality mode). It could, but I doubt it. Maybe they will allow 3rd party that option, but it’s seems to me Nintendo will balance graphics/performance in DLSS mode according to what they think is

You keep talking as if you have inside and factual info on how Nintendo will approach their next system. The only evidence we have of anything is that Nintendo have always chosen a clean break between console generations with not many cross gen titles. Of course, that could change but as yet we don’t have clear indications of that.

You kind of hit the nail on the head when you said most people would be happy to play MK9 at 1080p. If anything that tells me that Nintendo would therefore want to use the game to sell new hardware to get people to upgrade. Are they going to develop a new chip and basically a brand new modem piece of hardware, 6 years after Switch, and hope a minority upgrade for higher resolutions? I guess we’ll have to see.

My take is that Nintendo will want to sell 100 million of the next system and I’m not sure they can do that with the approach you’re suggesting. You even say yourself that most people won’t want to play the same games at higher res.

You keep talking as if you have inside and factual info on how Nintendo will approach their next system.

I don’t.

I guess I was a fool for expecting any post made in a speculation thread to be read as anything other than…speculation :p

You kind of hit the nail on the head when you said most people would be happy to play MK9 at 1080p. If anything that tells me that Nintendo would therefore want to use the game to sell new hardware to get people to upgrade.

Why would Nintendo care if you buy Mario Kart 9 on the 4K Switch instead of the OLED Switch? Or the Lite?

They don’t. (I guess I should point out here I don’t have any insider information on what Nintendo cares or doesn’t care about…better?)

Are they going to develop a new chip and basically a brand new modem piece of hardware, 6 years after Switch, and hope a minority upgrade for higher resolutions? I guess we’ll have to see.

I’m sure they hope there is no ceiling to its sales…I’m saying it’s not imperative the 4K Switch sells well out of the gate as, say, it was for the OG Switch to sell well out of the gate.

I’m saying Nintendo doesn’t care if in holiday 2022, someone buys a 4K Switch or an OLED Switch or a Lite. It’s all the same to them (it’s all about the Nintendo software sales)

As for the R&D costs for the new Switch chip, that investment is to keep Nintendo Switch gaming engagement high for the next several years.

This was an investment they failed to do for the Wii around 2010, which in hindsight they’ve said they regretted, I believe?

My take is that Nintendo will want to sell 100 million of the next system and I’m not sure they can do that with the approach you’re suggesting. You even say yourself that most people won’t want to play the same games at higher res.

Oh no, I don’t think there is any expectation for the 4K Switch to sell anywhere near what the hybrid models have sold together in the last 4 years. Why should there be?

Selling around ps4 pro type sales seems more right, imo. (~30 million)

I’m sure there will be another power upgrade system 4-5 years after the 4K Switch (similar to how there was for the ps4 pro and the Xbox One X).

That’s when the OLED switch will become irrelevant and not get much support, not when the 4K Switch launches.

Back
Top Bottom