• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I Never Got Pass The 1st Cave In The Legend Of Zelda..F That Game

AxkilAvenger

Like Like
Pronouns
He/him
I was an 11 year old maybe. My best friend at the time bought the game and I often watched him play because it looked overwhelming to me at the time. The ability to go any where from the get go was intriguing yet daunting to me. Plus I’m the type of gamer who prefer an experience like this to be solitary so i waited and persevered till I felt I could ask him to lend me the game. And I did. Ran home with game in hand, luckily living next door to my best dude. Put the game in my nes, started the game, walked into the 1st cave and blup. Screen goes grey and the game freezes. Never seen that before in any other nes game rationalized my young mind. Whelp let’s try again..start game go into cave blup freeze. Da hell? says young brain. Hmm let me trying blowing into the cartridge. Same thing! I proceed to try every trick I knew at the time to no avail. I was too young to be broken by this so over the next few months, I rented copies of the game from every video game stores in my city. There were only two stores in my town. Yet I hit them multiple times. And let me tell you, every copy I tried failed. I was broken like never getting the true ending in Ghost N Goblins. That kind of broken. Eventually Zelda 2 the adventures of my boy came out and I moved on and fell in love with that game. In my mind over the years since, Zelda 2 became my Zelda 1 first experience. Now even though the OG experience is fully available to me, I can’t bring myself to play it. I feel my childhood experience with the game scarred me so bad, I can’t bring myself to play it now.
I still wonder to this day why no copies of the game worked on my particular nes.
Haunts me to this day.

Never beat Zelda 1 until I played it on NSO last December. Fantastic game, as weird as it sounds it "felt" like a "Zelda game".

Yup, the only way to beat it was with NSO, I can't imagine trying to clear the last dungeon without rewind, that thing was brutal

Regarding the NES, funny thing that you mentioned, I never beat Castlevania 1 because it always glitched after the 3rd level. And this happened only with that cartridge. Granted I didn't have any other copy to try, so I always thought the game was buggy, but now your experience is making me think if there was an issue with the NES

Last edited:
I beat it before TOTK came out:

Enjoyed it even if I felt I would get horribly lost at times without google on hand - though there were a couple of times I did stumble upon something huge myself (including a dungeon entrance) and that felt very cool.

OP talking about his experience with Zelda 1:

3343.jpg

I didn’t beat The Legend of Zelda until 2019 on NES Classic. First, to actual use the NES Classic. Second, to cross it off my shame list. I save scummed a lot, not ashamed either.

OG Zelda is very much of its time and often obtuse. Some of the “hints” are like "There's a rock somewhere." The entrance of one of the dungeons involves burning a random bush.

I didn’t beat The Legend of Zelda until 2019 on NES Classic. First, to actual use the NES Classic. Second, to cross it off my shame list. I save scummed a lot, not ashamed either.

OG Zelda is very much of its time and often obtuse. Some of the “hints” are like "There's a rock somewhere." The entrance of one of the dungeons involves burning a random bush.
You’re right but also I found that entrance on my own and I feel like a champ when I did

It’s isolated in a way where if you stumble upon it, you definitely would find it suspicious, but if you didn’t stumble on that area…. Well, just make sure you stumble upon it

pssst, you don't have to go in the cave at all. there's a few hidden rupee caches that don't require any items to access. you can use those to buy bombs. then use those bombs to get enough rupees to buy the candle (your first permenant weapon)
the only time you actually need the sword is the ganon fight at the very end, everything else can be cleared without it.

I think only two people have read that the op is talking about his copies of the game breaking and not about the difficulty of LoZ.

botw was like this too, that's why people like it

I don't know if I beat it on my collectors edition on the GameCube or on my NES first. It was around like 2013 I think when I beat for the first time. It's only really hard imo because of the limited range of movement Link has. If he controlled like aLttP Link the game would be a cakewalk.

I beat it before TOTK came out:

Enjoyed it even if I felt I would get horribly lost at times without google on hand - though there were a couple of times I did stumble upon something huge myself (including a dungeon entrance) and that felt very cool.
Something that is easy to miss now is that while yes, we didn't have internet guides back then, games came with instruction manuals that often explained a lot of important mechanics, and in the case of TLoZ, it also came with a physical map.

maxresdefault.jpg

Something that is easy to miss now is that while yes, we didn't have internet guides back then, games came with instruction manuals that often explained a lot of important mechanics, and in the case of TLoZ, it also came with a physical map.

maxresdefault.jpg
Yep! I mentioned that in my thread. TLOZ was very much designed as a game where you go explore with the map on hand and talk to your friends at school about tips and tricks. It's why I would really like a remake that captures the spirit of the game but makes it more accessible to a modern player.

I also have never played the original Zelda aside from a couple minutes fooling around. I plan to at some point.

As I understand it, you're supposed to play it with a map in hand, right?

maxresdefault.jpg
This is why I maintain the biggest flaw with the NSO classic games service is not whatever anyone else says, but the lack of manuals. They should be scanned in and accessible from the suspend menu.

It’s a lock out chip that blocks games that weren't authorized by Nintendo to work, but sometimes it froze official games if something is wrong with the connection.
As a life long Nintendo Gamer. How have I never heard of this?
You might’ve answered the life long question.
Thank you

As a life long Nintendo Gamer. How have I never heard of this?
You might’ve answered the life long question.
Thank you
Yeah, it was designed to prevent unlicensed games from working, but some companies like Wisdom Tree (mostly known for shitty Christian games) and Tengen (who released an unlicensed version of Tetris among other titles) found the way around it.

Ok so I knew about the lock out for unlicensed games. Never heard of it affecting 1st games especially black box ones. Are there other examples? Like what other 1st party games? Can’t just be Zelda.

One of the pins or readers in your NES probably was faulty, that a lot of other games didn't make use of.

One of the pins or readers in your NES probably was faulty, that a lot of other games didn't make use of.
Hmm interesting. I played all of the 1st party games on that cherished console and Zelda was the only one that never worked. Your explanation is plausible however.
I also remember my copy of kid Icarus had one difference in game, to the copy my friend had.
In the ice area in the over world. There are a couple blocks with snowmen throwing snowballs. In my game, there are two floating block platforms while in the exact spot in his game, there’s only one floating block platform.
Weird.

Time to finally play Zelda NES.

The real question however is. Have you played Zelda ii, literally objectively undisputed qualitatively (in my opinion) the best Zelda game in existence.

Time to finally play Zelda NES.

The real question however is. Have you played Zelda ii, literally objectively undisputed qualitatively (in my opinion) the best Zelda game in existence.
A man of taste I see. I almost beat Zelda II, but never could get past the second to last boss. I got frustrated with Zelda 1 after the first dungeon and the description of the secrets in Nintendo magazine turned me off completely. The idea of randomly bombing walls or burning trees to find stuff was really offputting somehow.

Back
Top Bottom