• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club I hope ya'll are ready for Mario Kart 8 Ultimate on Nintendo Switch 2

Well none of their shops have been accessible on the successors
I would eat my hat if the Switch eShop isn’t accessible on the successor. If the system is backwards compatible (which it almost certainly will be) they’re going to make the Switch library available digitally.

That's true, but it's hard to predict with Nintendo
You're absolutely right. But Nintendo has a 100% precedent for moving the online shop forward with backwards compatibile systems, and it seems odd to remove the most accessible and most cost-friendly to distribute way to buy old games if you're going to add backwards compatibility. It's possible Switch Pro isn't backwards compatible with Switch, but that would be outrageous as even Sony is allowing PS4 games on PS5 (and in fact PS4 games are the most common type of new PS5 game)

Oh hell naw

Let's be real the next Mario Kart is probably already close to done. Ain't no shot the booster course pack is taking up their full capacity
Finally someone said it. Even if MK leads were stuck on Tour till 2019 other members went missing and they were not doing Booster Course Pass for 3 years. EPD 9 is cooking and it would be a hell of a suprise if it isn't a new Mario Kart game. I was on team ARMS 2 or new IP but since it has not happened yet it will be a new Mario Kart game.

Making a console backwards compatible and then not providing access to the digital store is about the stupidest move anyone could make in the history of the videogame industry. That's a straight Google stadia tier misstep

For the 4th time, GTAV. Skyrim.
GTAV and Skyrim were released on the tail end of the 7th Generation so it made sense to port them over.

Skyrim is an expansive game that takes several dozen hours to explore, and subsequent releases have added QoL enhancements to the base experience.

GTAV is a game with a lengthy campaign and robust online play, so there’s an incentive for players to keep buying the upgrades to keep their progress and get the best experience.

MK, while fun, would be a tough sale if people find out that it’s just the same tracks you can go over within an evening, but slightly prettier. I wouldn’t buy it, for sure.

with the new software type metadata field in the switch os I don't necessarily think there will even be a new eshop

Hopefully that's the case.

I'll be honest though, I don't actually understand why Nintendo, Sony, etc. Didn't all just make a digital store designed for forward comparability to begin with. Even if it wasn't completely feasible or clear they should do so in 2006, there should have been no confusion whatsoever about importance by the time of the Wii U.

Hopefully that's the case.

I'll be honest though, I don't actually understand why Nintendo, Sony, etc. Didn't all just make a digital store designed for forward comparability to begin with. Even if it wasn't completely feasible or clear they should do so in 2006, there should have been no confusion whatsoever about importance by the time of the Wii U.
MS actually did. Xbox series uses the same store as the Xbox one.

I don't know why Sony didn't, but the jury is out on wether Nintendo did.

I do think it's safe to assume that the next console will be backward compatible with the current Switch, that, therefore, Mario Kart 8 DX will be playable on it with purchasers' currently existing cartridges and digital downloads, and, presumably, that the current eShop will still be accessible, if not still the defacto online store for the console, that, yes:
with the new software type metadata field in the switch os I don't necessarily think there will even be a new eshop.
Suffice it to say, I would be surprised were these to turn out not the case.

While I can't imagine Nintendo would force you to pay $70 to play Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros Ultimate on Switch Pro (likely it will be backwards compatible with a patch), I would probably buy a cart with all the DLC content for Mario Kart 8 and Smash Ultimate on it lol. I like when Swsh did that.
Which means, yeah, this is basically where I'm at on the whole thing.

My only wish is that this one has a better character roster. That's the only thing really missing from Mario Kart for me now
MK9 will need to reinvent itself do differentiate itself from 8 deluxe. My guess is still Smash Kart.
I do stand by my deeper dive into the wider Mario universe suggestion as something I think Mario Kart should lean into.

Oh I have long queried the decisions making processes behind the choices regarding Mario Kart characters. Somehow they created a driver roster which contained all 7 koopalings + Link and other guests and still conspired to make it a disappointment, which is almost impressive.

Even leaving aside glaring ommissions like Diddy + Dixie and E.Gadd, I've been waiting for Kamek to be playable for since he got cut from the N64 game. I know Tour is going some ways to rectify this, but I hope they make the transition to console when 9 comes around. I don't want another driver select screen with 5 freaking baby characters.

MS actually did. Xbox series uses the same store as the Xbox one.

I don't know why Sony didn't, but the jury is out on wether Nintendo did.
Didn't Sony? PS5's store has PS4 games. I'm not sure if they have the exact same promotions, but I'd think they do, considering their PSN store is cross-platform I believe? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?

Didn't Sony? PS5's store has PS4 games. I'm not sure if they have the exact same promotions, but I'd think they do, considering their PSN store is cross-platform I believe? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying?
I just assumed there was a new store because PS5 has a new OS, while Xbox kept the same OS. I don’t own a ps5.

So wrong assumption in my part, thanks for the correction.

For the 4th time, GTAV. Skyrim.
We're two years into the latest MS/Sony hardware generations and the next entries of those series are both still ages away. If I sincerely believed Mario Kart 9 wouldn't be here until 2026+, it would be a much more similar situation.

I also think "remaster of a particular single player entry in a big franchise" and "remaster of a major multiplayer game that has always had one significant entry per system released early for each system" are quite different. MK8 going to Switch early denoted it as THE Mario Kart of the system. Were they to do it again, I'd stop expecting MK9 until yet another new hardware.

Don’t put this evil on me!

But seriously, I think they’ll launch the next console with a brand new Mario Kart out within the first year if not at launch.

Y'all are making me worried here. I mean, the mission was pulled off successfully, right? Someone did manage to swap their Mario Kart plans to force Nintendo to make F-Zero?

Back
Top Bottom