• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I feel the "Switch 2" could have a very relevant first party cross gen period, like the PS5 and Series did.

ILovethegameAC

Shriekbat
Pronouns
He
Lately I have heard a lot of people say that Nintendo should ditch the Switch asap and that the next console can't come soon enough so we can get games with a modern quality from them, however I think the next console might have a very relevant period of cross gen releases like the PS5 and Xbox Series did, for a year or 2, the reasons being:
-While many people love to say that basically every Nintendo game has been struggling and they all have been screaming for a Switch 2, that really is not true, some like Pokémon are and others like ToTK, Bayonetta 3 or Xeno 3 while arguably fine could definitely use better hardware, but basically every medium to smaller Nintendo game has been totally fine, some even at 60fps or a rock soild 30fps, some of them and at most could use a higher resolution for people with 4K TV's. Nintendo won't stop releasing those games when the next console comes out, they release these stuff like that every year, so those could probably keep having Switch versions for 1 or 2 years, they really don't need a lot of hardware for the most part. Among these could be most spin offs of any series they want to release.

-Development cycles are long, some Nintendo studios probably have been working on a project since 2019, 2020 or 2021 with pandemic issues in the middle, and in those cases they probably started being made for the regular Switch in mind since the full dev kits for the new console weren't probably finished yet and instead given in the middle/late of the development period, so even if some of those games are in the "bigger" side of Nintendo's development, and maybe a couple of them could be cancelled and moved to the new console all together, they might stil be easily just released for both, just like stuff like GoW Ragnarok, Halo Infinite or FH5 or Forbodden West were on PS5 and Series. Among these games could be definitely the next 1 or 2 Pokémon games, MP4, the next Paper Mario, the next game from Grezzo, the next FE from 3 Houses team or even the next 2D Metroid.

-The Switch has sold a lot so they probably will keep making stuff for it since it's profitable, they kept making exclusives (and a couple of cross gen with Switch games) for the 3DS for 2 years despite that only selling 75M, so it's basically a given the Switch will get as much support as it can.

-And finally and while not super related, regardless if the next console has backwards compatibility or not, I think just like Sony on the PS5, did they might also release some "Definitive Edition" of some late era Switch games, probably the ones that had the most issues.

I see stuff like the next 3D Mario, Mario Kart being exclusives made with the new Switch in mind, but I feel people who want the Switch to just dissapear as soon as the next one comes out will be dissapointed.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right, it will, for all the reasons that you stated, plus it's an important part of keeping people within your ecosystem while a transition happens; otherwise they could easily consider jumping ship to a competitor.

I agree, there is 100% going to be a decent cross gen period for Switch 2. Basically all but their highest end games run fine on the normal Switch.

It's a no brainer. Wind Waker HD on Switch and it runs in upscaled 4k or whatever on Switch 2. It just makes sense to take advantage of cross gen to make Switch 2 owners feel like their purchase was worth while with extra bells and whistles while also satisfying the current fan base.

Their investor Q&A reiterated the importance of maintaining a high level of annual playing users, even during hardware transitions, and also the importance of keeping customers connected for the long term through Nintendo Accounts. I feel like it's been very likely for a while we'd see backwards compatibility and cross-generation titles.

It's one reason I think there are still Wii U ports missing from the Switch library; perfect to fill in gaps in the Switch's last few years and the first few years of new hardware, especially for brands like Zelda and Xenoblade, where new entries may not materialise for some time (though I'm hoping for new '2D' Zelda on new hardware).

I'm doubtful that Nintendo won't have much in the way of "cross-gen" because that's not something they've historically done outside of a few exceptions like Wario Land II, Twilight Princess, BotW, and Sushi Striker. I'm much more expecting backwards compatibility and maybe some performance patches but that's going to be the extent of it for first party.

Even if there isn't backwards compatibility, Nintendo isn't exactly allergic to letting late bloomer projects release for older hardware. We were getting Nintendo developed and published 3DS games 1.5-2 years into the Switch generation for example.

Third party is a different story but that's not what the thread topic is about.

It seems silly, but I just hope the game cases are better designed than the XBOX ones for their cross gen games.
The new style of Xbox cases are great. Probably my favorite box art banner thing in a while.

But yeah, when the Series X first came out it was a mess, what with using basically the same case design as the Xbox One games, the weird sticker thing, and saying “XBOX” three times at the top of the box.

I'm doubtful that Nintendo won't have much in the way of "cross-gen" because that's not something they've historically done outside of a few exceptions like Wario Land II, Twilight Princess, BotW, and Sushi Striker. I'm much more expecting backwards compatibility and maybe some performance patches but that's going to be the extent of it for first party.

Even if there isn't backwards compatibility, Nintendo isn't exactly allergic to letting late bloomer projects release for older hardware. We were getting Nintendo developed and published 3DS games 1.5-2 years into the Switch generation for example.

Yeah, the only thing that was stopping those 3DS Games being truly cross gen 1.5-2 years in to the switch was technological limitations meaning you would essentially have to make the same game twice because the hardware was so different (both in terms of the whole dual screen thing, and how the internals of the 3ds worked Vs the Switch).

No such limitation will exist on the next transition in any reasonable circumstances, so cross gen will happen.

I expect that they'll do the marginal extra effort required to make games really cross gen instead of just relying on BC, even if the distinction is really only a marketing one, since it typically seems to pay off

On the other hand, any base Switch release is at risk of being dumped online weeks early, and pirated/emulated en masse, so I'm curious if that will at all play into their decision making on cross gen at all.

On the other hand, any base Switch release is at risk of being dumped online weeks early, and pirated/emulated en masse, so I'm curious if that will at all play into their decision making on cross gen at all.
Hopefully they don't go back to region locking again like they did with DSi / 3DS after the DS got broken wide open

It would be crazy if the next Switch wasn't backwards compatible. The only reason I don't dismiss it out of hand is because... Nintendo.

I would expect a lot of re-releases with a graphics boost. TotK, Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, etc. seem like a no brainer to make Switch 2 versions those types of games that should be evergreen.

Unsure about cross-gen, the Switch is so incredibly dated at this point, staying constrained to it for longer isn't ideal. Much more exciting if the new 3D Mario is a Switch 2 exclusive, and we really get to see the upgrades in graphics and performance when that trailer drops. And they do need to actually entice people to buy the new console. Exclusive games are the way to do it.

I was thinking about this. I think they'll still probably have a decently long cross-gen period at the start but it'll be abandoned sooner than the PS5/Series X one, once the Switch 2 install base becomes large enough to support software on its own. It'll be more like the cross-gen period between 360/PS3 and PS4/X1.

With how long the gap is already and the rumors implying a fairly big jump I don't know. It certainly would have something but I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of bigger releases not be crossgen, at the very least the next:
3D Mario
Smash
Mario Kart
Zelda (obviously cause its like 5 years off)
Xenoblade/Monolith in general
Animal Crossing
Splatoon
Luigi's Mansion

I would expect to be next gen only

I can't imagine that Nintendo will want to drop their existing audience any time soon, so I'm sure they'll employ a cross-generation period to transfer over the casuals to their new console while continuing to maximise Switch software sales across both systems.

Ideally Nintendo will update existing Switch titles to take advantage of the console's capabilities. Hopefully for free rather than as a paid "remaster", or whatever they want to call it. To this end I think it would be a good idea to bring back the Nintendo Selects or Player's Choice lines of games to coincide with 4K updates. This would help to boost their catalogue sales, while providing retail presence and new physical prints for discontinued titles, as well as help pad out their release schedule should they need it. It would also be good incentive for existing Switch owners to upgrade to the new console.

I've held off on replaying some Switch games in the hopes that the next console will improve their performance, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I'm never going to pay for a 4K update for any games I already own unless they include new content, which isn't going to happen for the vast majority of titles.

Nintendo literally told everybody that their next system will be backwards compatible. Believing they won't carry that on to the next system is irreconcilable with the vision Iwata laid out, and the changes to your account systems over the years. I hate that certain "Youtube Influencer" Grift Merchants have planted these seeds of doubt across the Internet. It requires you to believe Nintendo and Nvidia made a colossal oversight when drawing out their long-term partnership. It requires "Because Nintendo" logic, which isn't a premise at all, and I can't believe this nonsense is entertained. Region lock isn't coming back, either - Seriously!?

All of the 3DS teams would've transitioned to the Switch, and I suspect that some of them will be the dovetail, working on games that support the current Switch when the successor releases, before moving on to the new one. I don't see this lasting too long, but have a feeling that Indie developers will start on the current Switch as much as possible.

Nintendo literally told everybody that their next system will be backwards compatible. Believing they won't carry that on to the next system is irreconcilable with the vision Iwata laid out, and the changes to your account systems over the years. I hate that certain "Youtube Influencer" Grift Merchants have planted these seeds of doubt across the Internet. It requires you to believe Nintendo and Nvidia made a colossal oversight when drawing out their long-term partnership. It requires "Because Nintendo" logic, which isn't a premise at all, and I can't believe this nonsense is entertained. Region lock isn't coming back, either - Seriously!?

All of the 3DS teams would've transitioned to the Switch, and I suspect that some of them will be the dovetail, working on games that support the current Switch when the successor releases, before moving on to the new one. I don't see this lasting too long, but have a feeling that Indie developers will start on the current Switch as much as possible.
People are too used to them being backwards with this kinda stuff, but the actual evidence makes it pretty obvious. I'm pretty sure they literally said when the switch launched that your retro purchases will carry over, maybe some think the fact its now a sub service instead of purchases means its some kind of gotcha, but the reality is they meant NSO when they said that.

A bunch of people seem to look at Nintendo's last few home consoles and think they have Nintendo's transitions all figured out, but the logical extension of Nintendo's strategy in an environment where the technical barrier to cross gen is minimal is to do cross gen releases for certain types of titles until software sales on Switch become unviable.

In all past cases, it was either a lot of extra work to make games run cross gen or the sales of the previous system were already at the point where continued support wasn't worth it. The former is unlikely to be a huge problem this time around, and sales of Switch software are still high enough that I can't imagine them dropping off super quickly.

I totally agree with you. I expect Animal Crossing and Mario Kart to lead the way on next gen exclusives. I think 3D Mario still has a shot at being the launch day cross-gen game like BotW and Twilight Princess. I mean the absolute latest it would have entered development is 2019, but I believe it could be as early as late 2017/early 2018 just like TotK. It's not comparable to Odyssey starting late 2013 when Wii U was already a bomb and with Switch being planned as late 2016 at some point so they made the game for Switch from inception. I highly doubt the next 3D Mario starting development in 2017-2019 would target Switch 2 from the start(games that started development in the same timeframe like Xenoblade 3, Splatoon 3, probably Pikmin 4 (2019?) and Tears of the Kingdom are all Switch exclusives), I believe it was made into a next gen game mid dev that has great superiority on next gen hardware (RT, 4K, 60FPS, better lighting, think of Horizon Forbidden West on PS4 vs PS5). It could be a case of totally transitioning to next hardware development as an exclusive like Luigi's Mansion 3. But again that game started development in 2014, Wii U became a proven bomb in 2015, Switch released in 2017 and the game in 2019, hardly a good comparison.

Games like the next 2D Zelda, Mario Party, DK(if Switch 2 releases spring and DK summer), all the GCN/Wii/Wii U/3DS remasters remaining, maybe Astral Chain 2 and the next Monolith Soft IP as swan songs are highly likely.

I also have to point out that there's absolutely no way Nintendo will look at Pokémon Scarlet and Violet selling 21M in 6 weeks and think "okay I'll release the 2024/2025 Pokémon games only for the new hardware". Game Freak was the last to jump from the boat from way less successful hardware than Switch.

With lengthy development times, that's not out of the realm of possibility. I image the launch period or so will largely be games that release on both since they were in development on the original Switch, then more Switch 2 only titles coming a few months later

-And finally and while not super related, regardless if the next console has backwards compatibility or not, I think just like Sony on the PS5, did they might also release some "Definitive Edition" of some late era Switch games, probably the ones that had the most issues.
That said, this I just don't see happening. Especially with later Switch games. If they want to enhance the games a patch (likely accompanied by DLC) makes more sense.

It would be crazy if the next Switch wasn't backwards compatible. The only reason I don't dismiss it out of hand is because... Nintendo.

I would expect a lot of re-releases with a graphics boost. TotK, Smash Ultimate, Mario Kart 8, etc. seem like a no brainer to make Switch 2 versions those types of games that should be evergreen.

Unsure about cross-gen, the Switch is so incredibly dated at this point, staying constrained to it for longer isn't ideal. Much more exciting if the new 3D Mario is a Switch 2 exclusive, and we really get to see the upgrades in graphics and performance when that trailer drops. And they do need to actually entice people to buy the new console. Exclusive games are the way to do it.
As I said, I don't doubt that some stuff will be next gen exclusive from the get go, it's more that probably a good chunk of games in the first 1-2 years will be cross gen between not super very demanding games, some projects that began development before they got the dev kits (since development times are long), and Pokémon because maximizing profit.

Actually quite a few games were "cross gen" between GB and GBC, including Pokémon Gold and Silver, is just they weren't explicity marketed as that for some reason.

Actually quite a few games were "cross gen" between GB and GBC, including Pokémon Gold and Silver, is just they weren't explicity marketed as that for some reason.

I mean, they were marketed like that. They designed an entire cartridge design to highlight cross gen games, and they had specific logos on the boxes that showed what was game boy compatible, what was game boy compatible and what was he boy colour only.

fr_pokemon_gold_version_game_boy_color_back_cover-5589-800-600-100.jpg

It's the French box, but you can see the logos at the top and they even included a black and white screenshot on the box. It's just way back then, it probably wasn't called being cross gen.

I personally don't expect much more than the previous transitions between generations; as in a single cross-gen game and the next system is fully backwards compatible (if that means boost on performance on old games, remains to be seen, but I'm skeptical as well);

Though in your scenario, If Nintendo had plans to keep releasing all their 1st Party titles as cross-gen for a year or two, would only means I'd delay even more the purchase of the new system. Just like I don't see the need of getting a PS5 or Series X right now. So.. that would be a good thing for me, but I don't necessarily think it's good for them lol.

I think the end of this answer is pretty important to consider:

IMG_3334.png

Honestly not expecting much of a notable cross-gen period. Maybe some late ports or wide appeal titles that can easily run on the hardware / would benefit sales-wise from the larger install base (say, DK or Tomodachi; if they don’t quite hit before the new hardware). The first Pokémon game after the new hardware will probably be cross-gen too, because Game Freak / TPC play by their own rules. The next 3D Mario though? Mario Kart? Animal Crossing? All exclusive.

It's the French box, but you can see the logos at the top and they even included a black and white screenshot on the box. It's just way back then, it probably wasn't called being cross gen.
The back of the Mother 3 box in Japan also had a logo indicating it could be played on the DS for people who weren’t aware of the backwards compatibility in that device.

There will obviously be a period of cross-generation games. However, I think it is risky to refer to the ps5 or the Xbox series as often. The situations are not comparable because Nintendo’s market positioning is not comparable. People buy Nintendo consoles for games. No one will want to buy a switch 2 if the next 3D Mario is already available on their switch.

Games already announced such as, say, prime 4, or gamecube/3ds ports, or less technically demanding games like a 2D Mario or a 2D Zelda can be released on both consoles, it is even very likely. But to think that the most expected games will too is harder to believe.

I mean, it’s not as if the considerable failure of the Wii u wasn’t due in large part to a lack of attractive titles in its early stages.

There was all this chat many years ago that Nintendo were requesting that titles should be 4k ready, implying that they could easily transition to a boosted version on a new machine. Don't know how much of that was idle speculation though.

IMG_3334.png

Honestly not expecting much of a notable cross-gen period. Maybe some late ports or wide appeal titles that can easily run on the hardware / would benefit sales-wise from the larger install base (say, DK or Tomodachi; if they don’t quite hit before the new hardware). The first Pokémon game after the new hardware will probably be cross-gen too, because Game Freak / TPC play by their own rules. The next 3D Mario though? Mario Kart? Animal Crossing? All exclusive.
I do agree that all of those bigger games will be exclusive, as I said is mostly that the smaller or medium Nintendo games, those that don't need much horsepower and still tend to look and perform pretty well on the good old Switch, will likely get released on it as well, and there is the possibility that games that have been in development for more than 2 or 3 years will be cross gen, and it's likely that those games might outnumber the big heavy hitters the first year or even 2.
Definitely not the same case as the PS5 and Xbox now that I think about it, since they made some massive games like Halo, Forza Horizon 5, Gran Turismo or God of War to be cross gen. Nintendo games to be cross gen will be more akin to the cross gen stuff stuff like Grounded, Sack Boy, Miles Morales or Gears Tactics.

Probably there will be, but Miyamoto (and probably a lot of other people at Nintendo) are still in the mode of "each new system needs new experiences" mentality of the SNES/N64/GCN/Wii/DS/Wii U/3DS/etc. etc.

So my guess is some cross platform (Metroid Prime 4?) and some Switch 2 only (Mario Kart Next?).

IMG_3334.png

yeah i dont know why people keeps forgetting this

I think 3D Mario still has a shot of being the Breath of the Wild of next gen, being the launch day game and cross gen. Metroid Prime 4 has a shot at being that too if Switch 2 is spring 2024.

I believe the next Mario Kart and Animal Crossing games will be early gen(like, 2025) and be next gen exclusives, no doubt.

I believe it all depends on when the games entered development. We do have some 2018/2019 games that got unexpectedly long dev cycles that might fall in 2024, I very much doubt most of those won't be cross gen.

While it's lucrative to sell to the larger install base of the current system you still need to grow a base on the next platform as well. I do not expect much of a cross gen period myself.

I fully expect a modest price cut on current Switch games to give them longer tails and it's not like those evergreen sellers are going to suddenly fall off a cliff when Switch 2 is on the scene. A game sale is still a sale, especially with BC. There's no reason to have two versions of every new game and cross genify everything.

People want new experiences that only new hardware can provide. Nintendo aren't the kind of company that tries to sell people on resolution and FPS because they know the average buyer doesn't care about that shit enough to drop another $400+ for better performance when it's basically the same game on both systems.

At least from my experience.

Even if they hit the ambitious target of 15m this year... I think it won't quite have hit 140m when Switch 2 launches in early 2024
Well, it's at 125m now, so if they do hit 15m this year, they have 140m guaranteed.

What sets this gen apart from the others is their lack of a safety net when transitioning to new hardware. Wii U failing? They have another 85m selling horse in the race with 3ds. This time, if somehow Switch 2 fails to catch on immediately, they have little to fall back on. They mentioned before that hardware transitions are something they need to take seriously (I think it was translated as something they worried about, but I believe someone mentioned that was a bit of a 'strong' translation). I can see them keeping the Switch around for a little while to ease the move to Switch 2.

I think 3D Mario still has a shot of being the Breath of the Wild of next gen, being the launch day game and cross gen. Metroid Prime 4 has a shot at being that too if Switch 2 is spring 2024.

I believe the next Mario Kart and Animal Crossing games will be early gen(like, 2025) and be next gen exclusives, no doubt.

I believe it all depends on when the games entered development. We do have some 2018/2019 games that got unexpectedly long dev cycles that might fall in 2024, I very much doubt most of those won't be cross gen.
Given the development time that video games take these days, I have a lot of trouble imagining a situation where both the only 3D Mario and 3D Zelda for many years are neither one nor the other exclusives to the next hardware.

On the other hand we can imagine that EPD Tokyo worked in recent years on several projects at the same time, I think of a 3D Mario and a new Donkey Kong game. And in this case one of the two games can be cross gen while the other is dedicated to the future hardware.

Back
Top Bottom