• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion I feel Konami's Turtles, Simpsons, and X-Men weren't the best single player games..

souio

Moblin
Pronouns
he/him
A lot of it had cheap shots, increasing difficulty the better you played to the point where more enemies were on screen than the system could manage causing slowdown, enemies had single frame attack animations with no telegraphs that would instantly hit you, bosses would never get stunned and could interrupt your attacks or read your inputs and hit you with unavoidable attacks... even many 1ccs of some of the games have at least 1 death in the second half to lower the difficulty scaling. (Their Turtles Console ports fixed all these issues and actually made the games playable for single players, tho).

That Said, if you have a group of friends and are in an actual arcade with some nice quarters or tokens, they were probably the most pure fun a co-op arcade game could get! The speed the characters move, the ridiculously high jumps and dive kicks, the overly loud sound effects and cramming enemies on screen were just pure insanity and you would even care about learning boss patterns or enemy placement or any strategy cause you're just having a blast with 4 other people beating the crap out of everything you've see.

I feel like Capcom beat em ups were more methodical with boss patterns and tactics, while Konami beat em ups were the perfect party games to just go crazy with friends.

I miss good arcades :(

I'm super excited about the Suikoden 1&2 remaster they're working on. I really hope they give it the care that IP deserves. I've been dying to play those again.

I wish Disney would work with Konami to re-release The Simpsons Arcade on modern consoles.

R.9a0e743df30c75a093fade5303a6faac

I will tell anybody who will listen that the console TMNT games (specifically Hyperstone Heist, TMNT IV, and Manhattan Project) are much better games than their arcade counterparts. What they lose in visual fidelity they gain massively in being actual good games.

I will tell anybody who will listen that the console TMNT games (specifically Hyperstone Heist, TMNT IV, and Manhattan Project) are much better games than their arcade counterparts. What they lose in visual fidelity they gain massively in being actual good games.
I remember grinding Ghouls n Ghosts arcade for a few months until I could finally beat it with one credit. I decided to make Turtles in Time my next project for it and I realized... Turtles in Time (arcade) makes GnG look like one of the most balanced, fair games ever made in comparison lol. Never got past the sewers in the arcade in 1 credit cause I didn't have the patience to go through the jank

I remember grinding Ghouls n Ghosts arcade for a few months until I could finally beat it with one credit. I decided to make Turtles in Time my next project for it and I realized... Turtles in Time (arcade) makes GnG look like one of the most balanced, fair games ever made in comparison lol.
And the crazy thing is that Turtles in Time is much more balanced than the original Turtles arcade game.

And the really crazy thing is that TMNT 2: The Arcade Game (NES) is somehow the worst offender of all with its limited continues and bizarre decision to retain all of the warts of its arcade predecessor.

Well, Beat 'n Ups are fundamentally co-op games, no matter how you slice it. Playing alone you will eventually feel the fatigue and it will become repetitive and unfair at some point.. they are games made to rob your coins and, most importantly, have a buddy to help through the more clutter moments. Even the ones made for home like Streets of Rage or Double Dragon aren't nearly as fun playing alone imo.

Also, just like to bring Konami's Asterix to the conversation, since it's often forgotten!
026013.png
124_2.png

asterixeaa.png
1050862999.jpg

I wish Disney would work with Konami to re-release The Simpsons Arcade on modern consoles.

R.9a0e743df30c75a093fade5303a6faac
This game is full of fascinating little oddities as a result of it being developed during the first two seasons of the show. My favorite being Marge's skeleton having rabbit ears, which is a leftover idea from when Groening wanted her hair to hide rabbit ears as an homage to Life In Hell:

marge-simpson-rabbit-ears.jpg

And the crazy thing is that Turtles in Time is much more balanced than the original Turtles arcade game.

And the really crazy thing is that TMNT 2: The Arcade Game (NES) is somehow the worst offender of all with its limited continues and bizarre decision to retain all of the warts of its arcade predecessor.

Well, now. I played through Turtles in Time in the Arcade version and I came away confused how people, including myself, could remember the game so fondly from playing it on their SNES. Sounds like I need to give the port a try.

Well, now. I played through Turtles in Time in the Arcade version and I came away confused how people, including myself, could remember the game so fondly from playing it on their SNES. Sounds like I need to give the port a try.
The console games are balanced and reasonable. The arcade games are spiteful quarter suckers that are only as fun as your company and your drinks.

The console games are balanced and reasonable. The arcade games are spiteful quarter suckers that are only as fun as your company and your drinks.
Not only that, they're short as hell because of that. A friend made a home arcade, so we had infinite lives, most of these games would be done before you know it when you don't have to pay for the continues....

I remember playing the Simpson's Arcade game on the PS3 and it did not age well. I hope Konami returns to it someday and gives us a proper remaster.

Speaking of, where are my Simpsons games???????

Those games are not even remotely balanced around single player at all. You we’re expected to be playing in co-op.

Back
Top Bottom