• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion I feel is very likely that at this point Nintendo is saving WW and TP HD for Zelda's 40th anniversary

Yeah, at this point I have assumed that they will wait to sell the remasters as "4K" instead of "HD", probably to justify charging full price for each game again.

That said, I got tired enough of waiting so I have just bought a second hand Wii U to play both games again (and a bit of Star Fox Zero). I have mi original Wii U on my parents house and it's impossible for me to pick it until probably next year, so I bought another one for a really good price and in good condition. Like I did 21 years ago, I will spent the summer sailing the seas and searching for the triforce.

One thing to keep in mind is that the next big 3D Zelda game is several years away at this point. And Nintendo wants Zelda to be an annual release franchise. Meaning that they will have to space things like remasters, remakes, 2D games, spinoffs etc out to fill their Zelda slates for several years.

I feel like this rumour is mostly based on guessing because it makes sense for them to come over, more than it actually being clearly worked on. I'm not holding my breath for them to hit Switch, to be honest.

If they do get ported over in the future I hope they add something - for instance, get some live players in to alleviate those soundtracks sounding so dry. TP in particular really needs some care to let the compositions shine. WW HD actually had a modest bit of work done polishing up the samples, so it's not out of the question.

My personal opinion is that Nintendo had been sitting on Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD for some time, and after seeing their software pipeline and calendar, they decided to leave them for crossgen, so we'll get $59.99 and $69.99 ports of WWHD and TPHD, meaning it's a coincidence if they release for the series' 40th anniversary

There are many reason for Nintendo to not release WWHD and TPHD this year. I think they will release them in Q3 or Q4 next year on Switch 2, or even later. Using BC, switch 2 will be a platform that can play all 3D Zelda.

Where did the rumors of WW and TP HD being ported come from? Is it only fan wishing? I don't remember Nintendo mentioning anything about those games at any point being ported over to the Switch. Believe me, I want WW on the switch more than anything. Hell, I'd trade WW for Echoes of Wisdom any day, but the more this ports never happen, the more I think this is only fan wishing. The whole... "they're done, Nintendo is just waiting for the right time to release them" sound just like an excuse at this point :(

It's also possible they're saving both games for the inevitable GameCube NSO. In addition, they could also be saved for an allstars style collection with OOT and MM down the line. Nintendo is weird with their releases sometimes.

At this rate, we'll be getting Twilight Princess HD as an ACTUAL HD remasterings, with not just higher resolutions, but also improved assets, geometry, lighting/shadows, etc ala Prime Remastered, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, and DKCR HD. Same is true for Wind Waker HD, except they'll use the BOTW/TOTK engine, though keep a similar asethetic in terms of what we remember from GCN, and Wii U.

Until that time comes though, still have my Wii U, though I really should consider making a backup to the whole NAND, so in case is does brick itself, I can still use it.

I'm still surprised Nintendo is releasing Echoes of Wisdom this year instead of on Switch 2. It makes me think that there's another Zelda project on the way that isn't WWHD/TPHD. It might be a while before we see those games at all.

As for the Zelda project, I think it's a Link to the Past or Link Between Worlds remake. Echoes of Wisdom seems to reuse a lot of the same map and assets could be reused.

I'm still surprised Nintendo is releasing Echoes of Wisdom this year instead of on Switch 2. It makes me think that there's another Zelda project on the way that isn't WWHD/TPHD. It might be a while before we see those games at all.

As for the Zelda project, I think it's a Link to the Past or Link Between Worlds remake. Echoes of Wisdom seems to reuse a lot of the same map and assets could be reused.
There's no reason to have EoW on Switch 2 when it looks and plays the way it does. This kind of game doesn't exist to sell consoles.

There's also no way they will have a 2D Zelda remake so soon after. It's either WW/TP, or a new Hyrule Warriors.

At this rate, we'll be getting Twilight Princess HD as an ACTUAL HD remasterings, with not just higher resolutions, but also improved assets, geometry, lighting/shadows, etc ala Prime Remastered, Luigi's Mansion 2 HD, and DKCR HD. Same is true for Wind Waker HD, except they'll use the BOTW/TOTK engine, though keep a similar asethetic in terms of what we remember from GCN, and Wii U.

Until that time comes though, still have my Wii U, though I really should consider making a backup to the whole NAND, so in case is does brick itself, I can still use it.
DKCR is a 2.5D platformer while Luigi's Mansion 2 and Metroid Prime take place in enclosed environments with a lot of asset reuse within. WWHD and TPHD are much bigger games with open spaces and a lot more assets that would need to be redone.

I also don't get what the BotW/TotK engine means... if you want the physics from those games ported to old GameCube titles we talk of a brand new game altogether.

There's no reason to have EoW on Switch 2 when it looks and plays the way it does. This kind of game doesn't exist to sell consoles.

There's also no way they will have a 2D Zelda remake so soon after. It's either WW/TP, or a new Hyrule Warriors.
It's Zelda, and it has playable Zelda. That could easily sell some consoles. Also, we don't know when Echoes wrapped up development, a asset reusing remake could easily be done by 2026.

I’m on the boat that thinks that ALTTP could easily be remade, but Nintendo would rather it not have the exact same art style as LA and now EOW

DKCR is a 2.5D platformer while Luigi's Mansion 2 and Metroid Prime take place in enclosed environments with a lot of asset reuse within. WWHD and TPHD are much bigger games with open spaces and a lot more assets that would need to be redone.

I also don't get what the BotW/TotK engine means... if you want the physics from those games ported to old GameCube titles we talk of a brand new game altogether.

I mean the graphics of BOTW/TOTK, plus the art style. It sounded pretty straight forward when I said it. Not talking about the physics part of it, though having realistic water simulations would be one hell of a challenge for a remake of Wind Waker.

Back
Top Bottom