• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I don't want classic Zelda back, but i want their size back.

There's a phenomenon with modern video games I'd like to dub mAAAn-spreading, where everything is really fleshed out and deep and a lot of effort is put into every element of the game besides efficiency for the player. You can usually tell if a game is going to mAAAn-spread during the first cutscene.

It seems as though you just want the ability to just 100% the game and be done with it. The idea of ToTk is keep coming back to it. So the developers stuff as much content it in as possible so you can play the game for an extremely long time. Years ago i remember the developers said they wanted ppl to play a zelda game that would last months even years. Totk finally achieved that lol

The only issue with the size of the game is the lack of variety. They have to rely on asset reuse so much to fill the world, when I'd much rather have really unique locations with their own enemies, architecture, etc.

As for not seeing everything the first playthrough, I like that. I want to leave something to come back to.

It seems as though you just want the ability to just 100% the game and be done with it. The idea of ToTk is keep coming back to it. So the developers stuff as much content it in as possible so you can play the game for an extremely long time. Years ago i remember the developers said they wanted ppl to play a zelda game that would last months even years. Totk finally achieved that lol
Let me be clear, I never had any intentions to 100% ToTK. I knew I was only going to do a minimum amount of Koroks just like I did in BoTW and at most I was at least going to do all the shrines. What really caused me to call it quits is how large The Depths is and how many caves there are. I feel intrinsically motivated to explore them because maybe something cool could be in any random cave or part of The Depths. I don't even go into them for the rewards but rather for the chance to explore their spaces but their so little that I feel often hollow when I exit them. I know some will say "stop exploring the caves then" but come on man, it's a fucking cave. It's too tempting to ignore.

Let me be clear, I never had any intentions to 100% ToTK. I knew I was only going to do a minimum amount of Koroks just like I did in BoTW and at most I was at least going to do all the shrines. What really caused me to call it quits is how large The Depths is and how many caves there are. I feel intrinsically motivated to explore them because maybe something cool could be in any random cave or part of The Depths. I don't even go into them for the rewards but rather for the chance to explore their spaces but their so little that I feel often hollow when I exit them. I know some will say "stop exploring the caves then" but come on man, it's a fucking cave. It's too tempting to ignore.
Nah i would advise, to take a break from it and come back to it. Thats what i did.

I am inclined to agree. As much as I love Tears of the Kingdom I don't think future Zelda's need to be quite so large.

the size of the world works in tandem with the gameplay.

I agree Totk feels overwhelming, but i don't think the gameplay will work with a small scale Zelda. They already felt claustrophibic before BOTW.

I've enjoyed the worlds of BOTW and TOTK, but I wouldn't mind an experiment that tried to capture the magic in a smaller setting and with a smaller scope. I'm imagining something similar to what Monolith Soft has done with Future Connected, Torna: The Golden Country, and (presumably, having not played it) Future Redeemed compared to the mainline Xenoblade Chronicles games. Or maybe the better example would be pointing at what the Great Plateau offered in BOTW and asking for something a little bigger. I do somewhat miss hitting the completion percentages I'm reaching after 120+ hours in the modern Zelda games in half the time in the earlier 3D games.

Finished the main quest after 85 hours and about 96 shrines. I’ll go back to it at some point, but I feel I got what I wanted out of it. You were never meant to complete these games so to speak like you could complete prior 3d zelda titles. And there are some things I just straight up don’t want to do, like the stuffed animal collecting mini game

Back
Top Bottom