• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion I’m curious, what is your profession and how much do you make?

Oversharing time:

Chartered Accountant in Australia, wage sub 80k AUD, way way too little especially with the mortgage and relative work experience. Wife lets me know it regularly. At least my current role has some free time and some work from home which allowed me to study for and complete my CA. There are certainly people doing worse. I do mostly 9-5:30 and like my job and colleagues with no animosity on having to ask questions to overworked, stressed people. It's also an amazing environment for my ADHD, fantastic and accommodating culture. But I am stagnating in my career with little room to grow here.

The stats on the industry employment and figures don't really line up with what I see in real life. Very few people I know with similar years in the industry even make what I do. Of course that's the law of average, there's some partners or seniors that make a good chunk... although some of them I knew died pretty young :( and were insanely stressed all the time.

Past experience working for the big 4 had kind of traumataised me, I can't be a work horse like that again. I finally got home exhausted and miserable every day. Incredibly unhealthy culture even beyond work expectations. Not surprising they are having all these failures and ethics concerns with government contracts. I knew some slimey and out of touch people.

I have been trying to job hop but not much luck so far. Any job I see in what seems a reasonable goal range requires management/people experience or very specific 10 year experience in a particular field/industry. Asked my boss about her experience with it and she said in her day after a few years you just got promoted with a new role title to keep you around because the company wanted to keep their financials/internals/controls consistent for smooth working and audits. Not too helpful to me.

That said, things are overall pretty good and I am happy. Just a bit anxious for the future. I have a very low cost of living lifestyle and we put savings away and my job is very stable.

Last edited:
I work in the information technology department and spend my day analyzing businesses. I used to say I’m overpaid due to lacking an IT background (I have a liberal arts degree because LOL), but after several years, my yearly raises haven’t kept up with inflation so:

IMG-1056.gif

My salary is enough to live comfortably yet still less than it should be based on the workload and average pay for the position. I’m not sharing the actual dollar amount. Sorry not sorry.

$90k USD and i work in e-commerce, to be as vague as possible lol.

btw OP, is your username a reference to the city of columbus, OH per chance?

Forum Admin, $10,000,000 a year. 😎

Nah, I’m a humble project manager for a state government grants program. Earn enough but not as much as I’d like, though benefits are good.

Forum Admin, $10,000,000 a year. 😎

Nah, I’m a humble project manager for a state government grants program. Earn enough but not as much as I’d like, though benefits are good.

I used to work for a state as well, same situation as far as pay vs benefits. Pay wasn’t great, but benefits were amazing and could have retired in 20 years.

Teacher! $70K, as of November. Given how little I've made in the past, I'm very grateful for my position.

Had a job as a library shelving page for a couple years and absolutely didn't make enough for it to be worth it. Been trying to get another job but there's not a lot of good options, especially with me being disabled and uh, COVID. I'd like to get back into the library field, but I'm not optimistic.

Full time unpaid carer for family member, somewhere between £7k and £8k per year in government benefits

Last edited:
I’m a destination manager for a travel company. If you consider that I’m on-site most of the year and don’t pay for any basic expenses like food and rent, then the pay is quite good. (Especially with the USD to CAD rate at the moment) However, as seems to be the trend here, I certainly do not get paid what I believe the value of my workload is. There’s been some developments and changes this past year that have benefited my position, so I’m hoping for good things with my next raise.

Had a job as a library shelving page for a couple years and absolutely didn't make enough for it to be worth it. Been trying to get another job but there's not a lot of good options, especially with me being disabled and uh, COVID. I'd like to get back into the library field, but I'm not optimistic.
I worked as a page in high school (was offered the position after completing my volunteer hours) and then was a part-time tech at my university library while I was in school. And man, I miss that job SO much - best work environment ever. I often find myself wishing I had pursued a career in that field instead. Anyway, I hope things start moving upwards for you in the next year!!

I'm an Auditor in government (will not go into detail since I can be publicly found). Monetarily, I make just around 100k salary with benefits valued at 40k. However, where I live it feels like I only make 50k.

I'm a gardener, but I'd rather not tell my income on the internet ^^'

But as a little backstory, I wanted to be a gardener when I was 16/17 years old, due to playing Viva Piñata on the Xbox360. I really loved the gardening aspect of it, and wanted to do that in real life. I'm in the job for 10 years, and sometimes it's pretty heavy. Work hours differ per season in the company, we have summertimes and wintertimes, where as in the summer we work 8 hours from 7AM till 4PM with one hour of breaktime in between. The wintertimes are from 8AM till 4PM, with one hour breaktime. We split the breaktimes in 2 half an hour, tho. I have to get up early as 5AM or 6AM, make breakfast, put on my workclothes and be around at an hour later at the company, where we'll drink a coffee first to freshen and wake up properly, and get things ready for the job. Mostly we work at elderly homes, but also big locations where help is served for all kinds of handicapped people. We also do some little neighbourshoods that is newly being build. We mostly do mainenance in those places, like trimming hedges, lawnmowing, cleaning the place up. But sometimes we also make fences, pavements and other contructional work. Colleagues are nice, but sometimes annoying, they can direct and sarcastic, and others are a bit too in politics. But I shrug my shoulders, and try to focus on my work. This month we did put some christmas trees in front of the elderly homes, which around this time of year is my favorite job to do. These are pine trees that go 3 times might own height (I'm 2.03m (sorry, european measurements)), and are pretty heavy. We only decorate them with decorating lights, and we can get a coffee/tea/hot cocoa when it's done. It's a whole way more different than Viva Piñata, but it's truely a nice experience, haha.

I worked as a page in high school (was offered the position after completing my volunteer hours) and then was a part-time tech at my university library while I was in school. And man, I miss that job SO much - best work environment ever. I often find myself wishing I had pursued a career in that field instead. Anyway, I hope things start moving upwards for you in the next year!!
There's definitely a lot about the job that I miss. I liked being among so many books every day, and it was a really nice library. It just didn't pay much, unfortunately.

Animator/Anim supervisor. Yearly pay really depends on how long the gap between projects is. Work is pretty consistant but I almost always have a gap somewhere between projects. Sometimes It's only a week, if I'm lucky it's a month and I can take a fun lil trip, rest up and work on some personal projects. On the flip side 2+ months while rare does happen and that can be a more stressful gap if you don't have a return date yet. But thankfully it's only ever been this long like once in my 10 years of working in the industry.

I work in a niche type of IT and I make enough to buy a home in cash and raise a family in middle America, but not enough to where it makes sense to not live with my parents in the bay area

Last edited:
Multimedia Designer but currently a Student. I make minus considerable Amount of Money / Year

Back
Top Bottom