• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion How well do you think the GTA trilogy will sell on Switch if it's a good port?

Kind of surprised by the guesses here lmfao.

I was thinking 1-3 million. I assume I'm wrong but I wouldn't mind it haha

I do not know absolute numbers but it will be without difficulty the second best-selling SKU after PS4.

I'm not sure. Sony and Microsoft have spent a long time cultivating that specific audience and while it will no doubt do well on Switch, I fully expect it to be a behemoth on PS5 as well

Nope. If it's split before the release, that definitely means it'll be sold individually. Borderlands and Bioshock were also like that, from same company. GTA Trilogy is split in every storefront, not just eShop.

There are games that are separate downloads but not sold individually, like Ninja Gaiden. It never had separate listings.
The purchase bonus for buying the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity expansion pass also shows as a seperate item included in the bundle. That doesn't mean you can buy it separately.

The purchase bonus for buying the Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity expansion pass also shows as a seperate item included in the bundle. That doesn't mean you can buy it separately.
I'm not sure about DLC but I'm talking about Take Two games, GTA Trilogy is one of them. Both Bioshock and Borderlands had separate listings not available for preorder.

Plus if you want more evidence, GTA San Andreas is coming to Game Pass standalone. Meaning it's a separate games on its own.

Seriously though, why haven’t we seen actual gameplay on switch and other consoles yet? When does this thing release?

Seriously though, why haven’t we seen actual gameplay on switch and other consoles yet? When does this thing release?
Because Rockstar doesn't do gameplay based marketing. They can put out a 13 second teaser and sell millions. That's how they did GTA5, RDR2, and LA Noire Remastered.

Well apparently that only sold 2,6 million on Switch, its competition would be MH Rise which is at like 7,5 million. I think GTA on Switch could easily do 10 million, the social media engagement on that news was on another level
That 2.6 million is not an accurate number. It includes the sales for Japan (over 2 million) plus "over 500k" for Europe, and nothing for North America and the rest of the World.

Kind of surprised by the guesses here lmfao.

I was thinking 1-3 million. I assume I'm wrong but I wouldn't mind it haha
If the Resident Evil Revelations Collection can sell a million-plus on Switch, I think 1-3 million is a bit low.

Very well, about 2 to 5 millions probably.

But there's no way that it'll be the best selling version like some think (it'll be on PS, people grew up playing it on Playstation 2, it's the same audience who buys a new Playstation only for their yearly Fifa and NBA2K, for GTA, and sometimes for a COD), and I don't think it has a chance to sell better than Mario Rabbids and Monster Hunter Rise, which I think are at the moment the best selling third party games with both selling around 7 millions. No official numbers for Rabbids but Zhuge said it was either 7 or 9 millions I forgot.

-GTA IP is more popular than ever, I mean GTAV become 2nd best selling game of all time (only Minecraft sold more)
-Switch will have 100+ units user base
-This game will be only GTA game on Switch (will not have GTA V like other platforms to compete with sales)
-Switch offers full handheld mode that other consoles dont

So I would said 5m+ seller on Switch.

If the port is decent and gets good word of mouth? 5m+ easily. Gta 3 vice city and san andreas are iconic. If it plays good enough theyll sell like hot cakes on the switch.

Especially since alot of young adults own switches and grew up with those gta games or for sure heard of em.

I’m playing the PSP games while waiting and there’s no way the games come out running worse than Vice City Stories (and that game is perfectly playable imo.) They’ll be fine, I think.

@Yoshifan31 I got them!

So 2-4.5x the engagement metrics, it seems like. Honestly that’s very unexpected. I’d never have guessed on this. I’m still a bit wary because like with Detective Pikachu (the movie) a lot of the initial engagement metrics could just be because of the novelty of things rather than something that might translate into tangible results but, you’re right. We have hard data here that does affect least suggest a potential for over performance.

With half the number of followers too

If the ports are good I think Switch will lead in platform sales. Remasters aren't cutting edge visually and a release like this benefits from the expanded convenience Switch's hyrbid format provides. Sort of the same reason indies sell best on Switch, if a game doesn't need extra horsepower to look and run well then switch's advantages become more pronounced.

My preditction is that the GTA franchise is unstoppable, in time it's going to be the best selling game on the platform outside of Nintendo IP's and a select few others.

I think it'll sell fucking looney toons amounts if the ports are truly great and I can't wait to check the GOAT Vice City out personally.

I think it will be the highest selling version in Japan. But that's only in Japan

Looking at GTA V sales, the audience for GTA is..most console/PC gamers. So I don't think Switch is lacking an audience for it. I could see a lot of multiple platform owners defaulting to PS/Xbox, especially if there's bad wom on Switch performance. But overall 5m on Switch seems likely and 10m is possible.

If we were talking a good port of GTA V on Switch, 10m would be the floor

Back
Top Bottom