• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

Discussion How politically active are you?

Are you politically active?

• No, not at all

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Yes, I participate at elections and other votations

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • Yes, I am in a party, going to demos, going to debates etc.

Votes: 8 19.0%

• Total voters

lexony

Kremling
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him
Last Sunday we had elections of our Parlament in Switzerland. As expected our biggest right wing party "won" a lot of seats. (At least from a Swiss perspective, because gaining 3% at an election probably sounds cute for people from other countries).

Anyway, as always the participitation turnout was very low, at 46.6% (1.5% higher than 4 years ago). This is explained away that many are not going to vote because they already are satisfied with the current politics (A weak argument in my opinion) or because that there are already so many votes during a year (roughly 10-12 a year) that people are simply picky on what they want to vote.

It is certainly not a good look for a country that sees itself as a Model Democracy though.

Personally I think it is quite important to participate at elections or any kind of popular votes on specific issues if your able to, because it is not only your right, you will automatically get to know more about the politics in your country.

What do you think? Do you vote or are you even politically active? Or you don’t care at all?

I feel like there’s going to be a correlation between ‘I like ticking boxes in Famiboards polls’ and ‘I like ticking boxes in local/national polls’ :)

In all seriousness, yes, I vote and keep an eye on national and local politics. While I care which local councillor is more likely to keep schools open and potholes filled and bins collected, I’m also well aware that local elections feed into national ones and vice versa. When it’s less effort to vote than order a takeaway here, why not (not all situations are the same, obviously). I don’t want any party taking either my indifference or my vote for granted. I’m watching them.

Last edited:
I'm between the third and fourth option I'd say. I vote for what I can vote for (unfortunately not Swiss elections despite living here for more than five years) and definitely plan to get more involved with politics here once I become a Swiss citizen. I used to be more involved when I lived in France, especially in high school/college, and while political engagement can be very time-consuming, I think it's really important. As a minority, a grandchildren of people who had to flew their countries because of political changes, I believe that we have to fight for our rights and democracy through involvement in politics. Not voting is a privilege: in the case of last Sunday's Swiss elections, it's saying "I'm not going to be personally bothered by the politics of a far-right party like the SVP/UDC, I'm happy with the status quo, why bother voting?".

I like the idea of canvassing at next year's general election, but whether I actually get up and do it remains to be seen

I always show up to vote and have gone on peaceful protests and demos before, but I haven't gone beyond that.

Guess I did get drafted to help at one of the voting stations a couple years ago, but that's a civic duty you randomly get assigned in here, so there was nothing voluntary about that, heh.

Lately my most political move is trying to explain the nuances of Spanish politics to my American roommates, which has always been its own kind of fun.

Not as much as some, but more than most I reckon. I vote in every election, have donated to political candidates, and have been to a few protests, but I haven’t actively organized any political events and am not an officially recognized donating member of a political party.

vote in all elections, major and local, been to demonstrations, protests, etc. someone got shot at one of the protests i went to in seattle some years back, fuckin wild shit

i also pretty loudly advocate for my political ideals to friends and family (and strangers sometimes) and have no problem pushing back when they disagree. i try to keep up with as much as i can so that i can keep the arguments i make current and correct based on the data we have. it sure helps that, statistically speaking, left leaning ideals tend to have the data on their side lol. obviously you dont change every mind, but ive torn down lots of peoples walled defenses against things like socialized health care, trans issues, etc.

Not a member of a party (I am massively uninspired by the major parties here and consider them all to be varying levels of evil that I don't want to donate to), but I do go to demos. Less than when I was younger and had more time, though.

I will admit that it has felt like more of an effort to swallow my own sick and vote as mainstream politicians have become increasingly hostile and exclusionary. I also live in an incredibly safe seat so my vote typically doesn't actually mean much, but I still show up.

I'm between the third and fourth option I'd say. I vote for what I can vote for (unfortunately not Swiss elections despite living here for more than five years) and definitely plan to get more involved with politics here once I become a Swiss citizen. I used to be more involved when I lived in France, especially in high school/college, and while political engagement can be very time-consuming, I think it's really important. As a minority, a grandchildren of people who had to flew their countries because of political changes, I believe that we have to fight for our rights and democracy through involvement in politics. Not voting is a privilege: in the case of last Sunday's Swiss elections, it's saying "I'm not going to be personally bothered by the politics of a far-right party like the SVP/UDC, I'm happy with the status quo, why bother voting?".
I don‘t disagree with you, it is what analysts are theorising at all national or local elections of recent years.

Though I think it is still something where a nation needs to be careful with, "I am happy with the status quo, why bother voting?" could easily shift to "With my single vote I can‘t change the status quo anyway, why bother voting?". This can be quite dangerous if it gets more extreme.

I wouldn‘t say that this is the case in Switzerland in a major way, because you have way more possibilities to participate as an citizen than in most countries, but I definitely know quite a few people who believe this.

I don‘t think that you should force people to vote though.

I vote in every election except primaries since I’m not registered with any party.

Other than that, I generally no longer:
  1. Participate in discussions or debates online.
  2. Attend marches and protests.
  3. Read the news every day.
I vote, donate when I can but cut the rest out for my mental health.

I'm a poll commissioner and regularly post on a forum dedicated to electoral maps, so the last option. That said, I also haven't marched in a protest or gotten into a really heated political debate in a while, since neither feels very productive to me.

I go out of my way to vote in every election I’m able to, but that’s about as far as I go. I don’t attend debates, or do protests, or anything like that.

Felt inclined to participate more in politics against better judgment because I was so sick and tired of seeing my votes and donations not do nearly enough to stem the rising tide of right-wing nonsense. Joined my riding's party and volunteered in the role of COO because I'm terrible with debates and I'd like to help even if it is behind the scenes to keep the gears turning.

Lost the provincial election in 2022 (I personally disagreed with our candidate's path forward, but it is what it is), and after seeing the party oust their own member from parliament for voicing support of Palestine, I am strongly reconsidering my participation going forward, especially with the federal election next year and the incoming stomach ulcers I'll deal with from that 🙃

Frankly, the only reasons I don't go to protests are the fact I don't live where they happen, and I don't have the physical strength for them

I'm involved with my union, have chased up local issues with councillors and local MPs (neighbourhood flytipping, etc) and me and my partner try to attend any protests on issues we feel strongly about. We also got involved in shouting down an anti abortion event that happened in the city centre, which was not a pleasant event to witness. Oh, and I vote in my local and general elections every time.

I always make sure to vote and I go to the occasional protest when I'm able to take the time off work and it's a particular topic that I feel really needs my support. There were some messed up anti-LGBTQ+ protests recently that I meant to attend the counter protest for, but was unable to leave work for, unfortunately. Thankfully the counter protesters completely outnumbered the protesters anyway.

Otherwise, I know how I feel about things and I know my priorities with regard to what I do/don't care about, but I would not describe my actual knowledge of politics to be very deep. I'd like to change this more, however. I think it can be hard to find a balance between "balls-deep into politics and stressed out about the state of the world" and "educated enough to know your stuff but not obsessed to the point of misery," which I think is important to be mindful of for me.

I vote in every relevant election but since I work for one of the biggest media companies in the country and have a semi-public profile I have to maintain a certain image of impartiality. As much as they claim to be all about free speech and against "cancel culture", right wingers love to paint journalists as woke antifa-marxists if they are against their psychopathic policies. I try to counteract it by focusing on topics I feel passionate about and by raising awareness on topics where I see deficits (healthcare, immigration, housing etc.)

Not as active as I should be.

I've largely given up on electoralism here in the UK. We have two right wing parties vying for dominance in a system that will ultimately give one or the other near-total control on as little as 30% of the vote. I don't really care that much who wins out of them, I despise them both and don't believe either is willing to actually tackle the challenges we face. I still go and vote in local and general elections, but it's likely I vote for one of the smaller parties or spoil my ballot paper. Not like it matters, I live in a safe seat.

I'm a member of a union and have voted for and gone on strike in the past year. I participate in protests and marches when I have the energy to do so. I feel like I should do more, but I'm a natural introvert with social anxiety and organising with other people doesn't come naturally to me.

Trevor Noah had a good observation one time that — and I may be paraphrasing here — “politics happens to you.” Meaning, you will eventually have a concern in your life that necessitates some kind of political involvement. My kid has special needs and a lot of how I vote has to do with how he and others like him will be supported. It’s not the most holistic or comprehensive approach to politics, but it’s what I’m able to muster.

Trevor Noah had a good observation one time that — and I may be paraphrasing here — “politics happens to you.” Meaning, you will eventually have a concern in your life that necessitates some kind of political involvement. My kid has special needs and a lot of how I vote has to do with how he and others like him will be supported. It’s not the most holistic or comprehensive approach to politics, but it’s what I’m able to muster.
There's nothing wrong with that if that's all you can do. The people who haven't had politics happen to them are incredibly lucky.

Not as much as I would like. I vote in every election I can (I've missed a few primaries) and try to spread awareness. I would like to be able to participate in protests, but lack of transportation + various disabilities make it too daunting of a prospect.

Zero. Most aussie don't care. What we do know is that all politicians are a bunch of dickheads and will say it to their faces even on camera.

So it's crazy seeing the yanks treating their politicians like their celebrities. Even though they are all a bunch of dickheads as well.

This maybe really is the reason why people here in Switzerland don‘t bother to participate much in politics. The majority of the population isn‘t affected by any injustice or politics that get in their way so many simply don‘t see much reason to vote.

I‘d say your approach to politics is quite fair, I mean this is the intention of democracy, voting for that what matters most to you personally.

I keep up to date for local/state/national elections. In Australia we have a lot of minor parties, which is very good, mind you. Preferential voting is wonderful. Choosing which parties to give power to takes slightly longer when you are not just checking Blue vs Red.

Apart from that, I did some donation drive stuff to support a minor party. Not much difference made I feel. Sure if a lot of people did it, a lot of change could occur but good luck with that. I occasionally join protected protests. But really I'm too shaky to join to the unsanctioned ones. Which are where change and messaging really happens.

Thankfully we already have alright socialized medicine (slowly fading, RIP bulk-billing), some union activity in some industries and what was a decent minimum wage. Of course, when home costs explode, it doesn't help as much as you would think. Albanese (Labor) may well get voted out for perceived lack of action on cost of living. Despite a relatively good softish landing after the pretty egregious handling of COVID by the Liberal (right wing) and inflation-causing money printing/cash to mates that largely went to businesses. People have short memories. That said, there really should be a clearer cost of living plan on the table right now. Yes economically gov action is risky at times like these. Spending more to subsidise rent/homes/food can in fact just result in extra costs. We can't magic lumber in to our borders, nor free up skilled trades from overseas (where people are also paying top dollar for limited supplies). We are still reeling from the flow on from COVID shortages. But Labor still needs clearer promises, like more apartments for people to live in eventually, action on increasing homelessness etc. The increased opening of borders for overseas workers has largely not gone over well publicly, unsurprisingly. Perfectly valid, as well as...less kind statements have been made on the issue.
These issues are far from unique of course, Canada (especially), and USA are very similar. A lot of the EU/UK also deal with shortages from conflicts involving Russia. Overall Australia has been very lucky, we did just come out of a big global lockdown afterall. You don't come of that for free.

The culture war stuff is still pretty wild at times, but most Aussies are relatively unengaged overall. But we do usually turn up to vote cause its on a weekend, so that's something.

Recently we had a vote on whether to change our constitution to enable the government to make "voice", (independent but powerless advisory group) to represent Aboriginal Australian interests. Labor could have made the body without a vote, but then it would be able to be closed by the next party when they get voted in. This vote was to make it permanentish, and for constitution to make that possible (which for many was can of worms, its not a small deal to amend a constitution, but its also kind of the point, that's why we have amendments). Notably Aboriginal Australians never really got a treaty or anything like that, so some feel like its been unfinished business.

I am Aboriginal myself. I never expected this to pass. Most Australian see Aboriginal issues are mostly ancient history, despite the last recorded kidnappings being in the 70s. I watched my dad get cursed out at job interviews, my grandfather was taken from his family, I've watched infrastructure in our communities crumble as support dries up. I've seen uncles and aunties moved hours from their homes because what used to be less valuable land has suddenly become prime realestate as cities sprawl and gov sells off public land and housing. Just the idea we've had all the same advantages as other for a century is blatantly false. Just needed to vent. But... from a purely personal level, I don't really expect unrelated people to care too much. Sometimes stuff just sucks. And generally I see way less overt and even subtle racism in the workplace/in public than in the past.

There are very few of us left, the breed out/ white Australia program was effective, Aboriginal Australians don't self-replace (not a moral issue, people can and should fall in love with whoever they choose regardless of ethnic/racial considerations). The cultures have been fading away. There is some out there, some in the outback, strong social groups, art events. But a lot of what's left is being lost. There really aren't enough people left to fight for our interests, our voice really has been eroded. (We absolutely still have general voting and all the other rights being a citizen has of course, but as a voting-bloc, the influence just isn't there).
I mostly grew up bouncing between Aboriginal and white communities, I do have attachment from my dad, but I feel mixed attachment to Aboriginal communities as a whole. Never really felt fully accepted by some people, but there were certainly groups with big tent policies that were happy to involve me.

When it came to this vote, I didn't have the heart to canvas or be too involved. The writing was on the wall way before from the start. The sea-lioning ("Labor hasn't explained what this body is/what we are voting for, I don't understand") thing was very transparent. There were many official and incredibly clear adverts, dot points, websites. Its not complex. Seriously wish people were just honest about just not wanting a race based advisory body, I get that, fear about some one else voice in your government's ear is a little ruffling. I could have went without hearing a lot of outright racism too, not that all complaints were based in racism, but enough were, even in traditional leftwing spaces. The dismissal of "every thing is racist to you lot" was pretty galling when you see people call us...unrepeatable statements, in that same location. Again though, I don't think people were racist for voting against the voice.

Realistically if successful, the voice would have been a wedge against Labor, when Aboriginal groups say "please don't mine on this land and smash our heritage site", the right won't care, but the left will be split. Not to mention getting the disparate groups to agree on anything would be very difficult. There are some pretty nasty corruption issues in some Aboriginal councils, and many don't trust the government on principal so I just can't see it go well anyway. It was never wise for Labor to focus so heavily on this single issue. Sure they were walking and chewing gum at the same time. But the optics were easy to portray poorly.

nice try, like I’m gonna list the cars I’ve set on fire in a Famiboards thread

nice try, like I’m gonna list the cars I’ve set on fire in a Famiboards thread
I actually have set a couple cars on fire but one was because the fuel system on a VW was literally clogged solid and heating the gas lines to the point of combustion was the best way to expel the junk and the other one was I accidentally shorted the ignition system in a Datsun and the main ignition wire got so hot the rubber insulation lit up in a straight line of fire but I feel like my thing might not actually be relevant to the discussion so

I actually have set a couple cars on fire but one was because the fuel system on a VW was literally clogged solid and heating the gas lines to the point of combustion was the best way to expel the junk and the other one was I accidentally shorted the ignition system in a Datsun and the main ignition wire got so hot the rubber insulation lit up in a straight line of fire but I feel like my thing might not actually be relevant to the discussion so
see my previous post

I’m not listing the cars that I’ve set on fire

whether politically or accidentally

Felt inclined to participate more in politics against better judgment because I was so sick and tired of seeing my votes and donations not do nearly enough to stem the rising tide of right-wing nonsense. Joined my riding's party and volunteered in the role of COO because I'm terrible with debates and I'd like to help even if it is behind the scenes to keep the gears turning.

Lost the provincial election in 2022 (I personally disagreed with our candidate's path forward, but it is what it is), and after seeing the party oust their own member from parliament for voicing support of Palestine, I am strongly reconsidering my participation going forward, especially with the federal election next year and the incoming stomach ulcers I'll deal with from that 🙃
eyyyyyy I happen to know exactly what you mean! specifically!

if you’re not fighting for those you think deserve to live tooth and nail, you’re complicit in their murder

and the party you mentioned has proven that their “consolation prize” tactics burn everyone who stands for anything, which fucking blows

it’s a safe assumption that anyone who appears as a white knight to the soft left is a centrist who will do exactly what centrists do — and in the tide of rising fascism, that’s “kill us all the same”

eyyyyyy I happen to know exactly what you mean! specifically!

if you’re not fighting for those you think deserve to live tooth and nail, you’re complicit in their murder

and the party you mentioned has proven that their “consolation prize” tactics burn everyone who stands for anything, which fucking blows

it’s a safe assumption that anyone who appears as a white knight to the soft left is a centrist who will do exactly what centrists do — and in the tide of rising fascism, that’s “kill us all the same”
It fuckin sucks, and like I'm not even at any real risk given my privilege but just...back the horse that'll kill everyone faster? Or back the horse that will kill fewer people short term but end with the same number dead without any systemic change they're wholly uninclined to actually create?

Like, I get it, let the Conservatives win unopposed, kill everyone faster just to get it over with, that'll show 'em. Even at my most pessimistic I can't give in that easily, but I also don't know which path a single individual can take that actually stands a chance of making meaningful difference in this life.

I've planted enough trees whose shade I'll never see; I actually want to do work that will bear fruits worth living for while I can still enjoy them.

Conscience and self-awareness was a mistake; it's brought nothing but misery.

Not at all, I was born in a “all politicians are shit” environment (which certainly holds true where I live).

Back
Top Bottom