• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Fun Club How do you say the name of the 2nd Nintendo Console?

What is the right way to say it

• S. N. E. S.

Votes: 59 24.1%
  • Sness

Votes: 58 23.7%
  • Super Nintendo

Votes: 100 40.8%
  • Super Nintendo Entertainment System

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Super Famicom

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • Super N.E.S.

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • Snez

Votes: 12 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've noticed they call it Super N.E.S. officially. So that's another option.

But I say S.N.E.S.

Super Nintendo.

Pretty much nobody in Brazil calls it the SNES, so I got used to it and when referring to it in English I use the full name (without the Entertainment System part, of course).

I say “Super N.E.S.“ because that’s how Iwata said it once in a Direct and I will never go against his wishes.

I say "Super Nintendo" and maybe rarely "S.N.E.S." I have never said "Sness" because I'm a normal person and saying that word would immediately cause anyone listening to ask what the fuck I'm talking about, defeating the purpose of that word.

I find it funny how non Snes (or Snez as the sharp singular s sound seems to be commonly spelt online, though it really is Snes like the name Les) peep get so angry about that pronunciation.

I find it funny how non Snes (or Snez as the sharp singular s sound seems to be commonly spelt online, though it really is Snes like the name Les) peep get so angry about that pronunciation.
I think I'd go kind of crazy if I learned there was a tribe of people who called the original PlayStation "Pisix" too.

"Sness" and "Snezz" people are cops.

It's S.N.E.S. When I was a kid, it was most often Super Nintendo (as sanctioned by Biggie) or Super N.E.S. Nobody called it those other two garbage terms.
aggressive but factually accurate in it's aggressiveness

I do think its a regional thing, this is exactly how I remember it in South Western US

Super Nintendo but I will also call it S.N.E.S. in select moments. I don't ever call it Super NES or Snez, but after reading the options I may start exclusively calling it the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, just to be annoying

'Sness', sometimes 'Super Nintendo', never 'S.N.E.S.'

Similarly NES was 'Ness' and never 'N.E.S.'

Also wow every time I see the US SNES it strikes me how ugly it is.

I call it "Inferior to the Sega Genesis." I Nintendon't care what you think, this is a Mega Drive-by post. Blast Processing 4 Life!

tumblr_ma1uufIl9g1r0ralmo1_r1_500.gif

Super Nintendo

well now that the question’s been asked, I suddenly have no idea

uhhhh I think I used to say Super Nintendo but maybe also Sness? never ever ever S.N.E.S. that’s weird shit to me

I’m starting to think maybe I didn’t talk about “it” so much, it was always “I’m gonna play Donkey Kong” or stuff like that

maybe I just didn’t talk to people about it idk

Looks like I'm a rare Snez-er according to the poll.

Maybe it's a British thing, but I've never met a single person in my life who has called it anything other than a Snez.

I personally find the saying the whole thing out loud in casual conversation to be a bit of a weird choice when a good acronym exists - imagine doing that with NASA or the FBI. As for initial spellers, I see why people do it when you can't make a word but it sometimes feels more natural to say it as one if there's something pronounceable there (again using NASA and FBI as examples)

Last edited:
Looks like I'm a rare Snez-er according to the poll.

Maybe it's a British thing, but I've never met a single person in my life who has called it anything other than a Snez

I added that poll option late which probably skewed the results. I never knew people called it a Snez before this thread lol

I say it like "En Ee Ess". The Super Nintendo is Nintendo's third console

It has always been the Super Nintendo. I think I once tried to refer to it as the S.N.E.S, but that last about 15 minutes.

Based on past patterns the SNES is just the NES pro

/s

Ok, joking aside
I used Super NIntendo or S.N.E.S. growing up

Depends who is part of that conversation, really.. all my IRL friends and relatives probably wouldn't know what I'm referring if I don't call it "Super Nintendo", but usually comes to my tongue "S.N.E.S."

When I pronounce it aloud in real life I call it the Super Nintendo for the sake of clarity, but when I refer to it in written form, or say it for myself in my own head I typically use "snes" because it's faster and easier to type/say.

In Brazil its Super Nes ou Super Nintendo.

Like with your buddies you say super nes because they know what you're talking about AND they know it's much better than that poor mega drive piece of shit that only weirdos buy; but when you want your dad to buy a game for you, you gotta say super Nintendo.

(my mom still calls every single videogame in the world a Nintendo)

It is clearly Super Nes. Incredible that it isn't in the poll
yep

I've noticed they call it Super N.E.S. officially. So that's another option.

But I say S.N.E.S.
Nintendo Power alternated between Super NES and SNES, which is where I first learned it had a name other than “Super Nintendo.”

Super Nintendo or S.N.E.S.

I say "Super Nintendo" and maybe rarely "S.N.E.S." I have never said "Sness" because I'm a normal person and saying that word would immediately cause anyone listening to ask what the fuck I'm talking about, defeating the purpose of that word.
It’s true, but you shouldn’t say it.

I usually just call it the Super Nintendo.

Surprised you didn’t put the last variation Super Ness in the poll. I used to use that one quite a bit too.

Out loud I always say “Super Nintendo”, but I’ve always written it “SNES” and read it as “Sness”.

Back
Top Bottom