• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion How do we feel about Nintendo's entire 2024 lineup?

Zelda is going to be amazing.

On the third-party end, I'm excited for DQIII HD2D(and I/II coming next year).

Better than most (all? Outside of SNES) Nintendo final years, but as a general year, Zelda is the only standout game for me, and it'll probably end up an 8/10 kinda game for me, so as a full year it's pretty mid, and likely the worst year of Switch. The other two consoles are more exciting right now.

Last edited:
It's pretty good for a final year. Nothing mind blowing or amazing, but not bad. It's better than I'd expected to be honest. But that was mostly with the assumption that the next system was delayed last minute. It makes sense they still had plenty to release for this system with the knowledge that the next system was always going to release next year. I just hope all these games run better out of the box on the next system.

Honestly one of the best end of lifecycle years for any console.
This has 17 yeahs, and I'm real happy for everyone that agrees, but I can't.

The final year of PS3 had The Last of Us, GT6, Beyond Two Souls and Ratchet and Clank as first party games, and GTAV, Bioshock Infinite, BF4, AC4 and many more as third party games. Similar for PS4. Support falling off a cliff is more a Nintendo thing (and Microsoft with X360).

Given, that Switch is in its final years, the line- up is better than expected ( not hype tough)

Im missing ports of Metroid Prime 2 and 3 and F- Zero GX. Otherwise im fine. Still thinking we will get a autumn direct with even some more

It’s okay for what it is. Starting the year with a slew of remakes and a couple of niche titles is about what I expected. But while the remakes were good, the niche titles were lackluster at best. Nintendo World Championship looks like it might be the only good one this whole year.

Zelda, Mario Party, and Mario & Luigi are the heavy-hitters, here, and they’re all coming out right at the end of the year. It sucks that remakes and third-party devs have to carry the Switch until then, as they have until now.

Definitely one of the weaker years and maybe a little bit too Mario heavy but if told me I'd be getting a new 2D Zelda with a playable Zelda, a remake of Another Code, and a new Endless Ocean in the 8th year of a console I'd have bitten your hand off easily

Very back-loaded, but it wound up pulling itself together quite a bit. First half has been a snooze, first-party wise, outside of Paper Mario. Lots of good shit later in the year.

It's on the lower end of my overall rankings, but I would easily put 2024 ahead of 2018 and 2020. It's turned out pretty well for a year that many people gave up on when we heard about the switch 2 delay.

Screenshot-2024-06-18-184630.png

Star Fox can't even make the caption. RIP

Like I did about last year - better than it has any right to be given how late we are in the system’s life

Luckily, even though I'm not too interested in the 1st party offerings, 3rd parties are there with the goods that interest me.

Outside my wants though, it seems pretty decent for the last year as the main system.

Another Code: Recollection, Splatoon 3: Side Order, and The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom as my Day Ones, and two Mario RPGs as potential gets when the backlog is trimmed down a bit? I'm pretty satisfied with this year.

It’s more or less what we expected, definitely standard Nintendo fare, especially this late in the lifecycle of the current console It’s quite good. I would take many of those games over the current AAA industry slop we’ve been seeing lately.

Just when you think the Switch has nowhere left to go, it continues to surprise you. New 2D Zelda where you play as Zelda herself, new Mario & Luigi, something nobody thought we'd see again given the fate of AlphaDream. New Mario Party, and finally a look at Metroid Prime 4 after so long. It's nothing mind-blowing, but for a console this old, it's way more than I expected.

Honestly one of the best end of lifecycle years for any console.

Totally
But I would call it pretty good overall also in a general meaning

Considering how OP focuses only on Nintendo, we should also consider how we are talking about a single publisher and well...in terms of comparative pace and average quality, their output is impressive

Why isn’t there a pre-Thanksgiving game this year? For the last 6 years.. and almost consistently for the last 12+ they’ve always had a title release the week before Thanksgiving. I wonder why this year is different?

Feels like their strategy of having games in some sort of reserve for later (finish first, releas later) is paying dividends for them. Makes you wonder how they're going to ease in to the new generation by juggling two versions of the games at once.

Why isn’t there a pre-Thanksgiving game this year? For the last 6 years.. and almost consistently for the last 12+ they’ve always had a title release the week before Thanksgiving. I wonder why this year is different?
Mario & Luigi is two weeks before which is close enough, but DQ3 already fills that gap. I'm sure it's coordinated

Mario & Luigi is two weeks before which is close enough, but DQ3 already fills that gap. I'm sure it's coordinated
True, but even last year they had WarioWare out first week in November 2 weeks before Mario RPG. What you said does make sense, just found it odd.

Pretty great line-up for its last full year compared to their past efforts.

I'd say for me personally, the rankings go:

2018 > 2019 > 2017 > 2020 > 2022 > 2024 > 2023 > 2021

I think it's better than last year for me given that I have interest in all released titles whereas last year I only played TOTK and the Pokémon DLC

Been another great year.

Handful of interesting Nintendo games.
Amazing indies are the undoubted highlight, though.

Balatro is my GOTY.

New 2d Zelda, where you play as Zelda and get a weird enemy/item duplication system with some light chemistry engine stuff. Sounds incredible. It looks a little low budget though, the art style isn't very cohesive.

New Mario and Luigi Game, this soon. Incredible. And after the fantastic Paper Mario Remake.

New Mario Party, 7 maps, rebalanced map/coin economy. Perfect for me.

Prime 4 on the horizon.

I'm eating very very well.

Didn't realize until seeing that image how cool it is that in one year Nintendo is publishing Another Code, Princess Peach, and Zelda Echoes of Wisdom.

On topic I agree with @Kartina that 2025 seems more exciting. Metroid and Pokemon so far for first party, plus I have to imagine we'll be getting one or two GCN/Wii ports or remakes and at least one more 'big' game (like Fire Emblem or Star Fox) before Switch 2 comes out, and third party we've got Professor Layton, Hello Kitty, and the strategy game from the Danganronpa clique.

Switch's years by first-party games fall into two obvious buckets (2017, 2019, 2022, 2023) (2018, 2020, 2021, 2024) and it's hard to rank those among their peers, it's just top half and lower half.

Zelda, Mario & Luigi, and Mario Party for the rest of the year is phenomenal for me. I'm unreasonably excited to play a new Mario Party with my wife. S tier second half line-up.

Pretty satisfied really. Another Code and Endless Ocean are my kind of games, and TTYD was a great remaster. If Zelda and Mario & Luigi end up being good then that’s way better than I ever expected from this year.

image.png

Another Code Recollection - January 19
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - February 16
Splatoon 3 Side Order -
Princess Peach Showtime - March 22
Endless Ocean Luminous - May 2
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - May 23
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - June 27
Nintendo World Championships NES Edition - July 18
The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom - September 26
Super Mario Party Jamboree - October 17
Mario & Luigi Brothership - November 7

What do you think of the lineup of first-party Nintendo releases here? How do this measure up to the rest of the Switch's years? How does this feel as a console's final year?
It's not the console's final year. Switch will release 8-10 "exclusives" next year (quotations, assuming Switch 2 is Backwards Compatible).

There are probably 2-4 games releasing in 2024 that we don't know about yet.

A new 2D Zelda is a dream come true and easily makes the whole year. This is way better than I expected. And I wouldn't rule out a few more small surprises for this year. I could see MP2/3 shadow dropping at a September direct as more straightforward remasters instead of full visual remakes, similar to how Nintendo did Pikmin 1 and 2 shadowdrops right before 4 came out.

Pretty good year. Started extremely strong with the Another Code remakes.

Mario vs DK I didn't want 20 years ago, still didn't want this year.

Peach didn't interest me but it's a nice addition to the Switch library, Nintendo should make games with Peach as the protag more often.

Endless Ocean was disappointing, but kudos to Nintendo for bringing back that franchise, even if it didn't stick the landing in comparison to EO2.

TTYD remake is fantastic.

LM2 is, imo, the best Luigi's Mansion, but I don't care for this remaster, I have the 3DS version and I'm fine keeping this version. It's a perfect game made specifically for this console imo.

And then Zelda, Mario Party and M&L are all very hype.

A bit light in releases, but for supposedly the last year of the Switch as Nintendo's main hardware, it's pretty good. Especially with a brand new 2D Zelda.

Another Code Recollection: REMAKE
Mario vs. Donkey Kong: REMAKE
Splatoon 3 Side Order - fine I guess (had my fill with Splatoon 2 and it's expansion)... Also, not a full game
Princess Peach Showtime: lower effort entry (still solid I guess, except that the demo softlocked 2 times on me)
Endless Ocean Luminous: ... Honestly no idea and reviews where mid
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door: REMAKE
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD: PORT
Nintendo World Championships NES Edition: low effort-ish nostalgia title?
The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom: the one first party game I'll buy this year and look forward to
Super Mario Party Jamboree: more mario. MP was never my jam, happy for fans.
Mario & Luigi Brothership: come one, enough Mario. Again, not for me, but happy for fans.

It clearly is a less ambitious one, heavily relying on remakes and ports and nostalgia, but that's Nintendo by now.

It's better then I expected for so late in the game, even if it's not fresh or ambitious by any means, but it really feels like last 3DS year.

I will feast 2025, I see.

I genuinely love this lineup! Obviously it is not the best lineup we have ever had by any means on the Nintendo Switch but if you told me in January that we would have a new 2D Zelda, Mario and Luigi, and Mario Party to go alongside games like Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake... I would not believe that Nintendo would release all of these in the final year of the console! It also has been a year that in hindsight I have liked a lot more as Another Code and Endless Ocean are new franchises to me so I am always happier to learn a lot more about Nintendo's smaller franchises that I likely would not hear much about outside of Fami!

Mario Party also kind of being an ultimate version (Not in terms of legacy content but just how much content is in the game - seven boards, 110+ minigames, many different modes) is not something that I thought this game would be but I am beyond ecstatic that this is the way that they went with the game! I suspect that they were working on DLC for Superstars but it became much more ambitious (seems to be something that we are seeing more and more these days) and they decided it fit being a totally new game!

Outside of it being too much Mario, it's damn good. They really needed to drop some more smaller hd ports like F-Zero, Metroid Prime 2/3, and a Zelda port to balance out just how reliant it is on Mario.

Don't tell me WWHD or TPHD would've been out of the question with Echoes of Wisdom coming this year when we are currently getting Mario vs Donkey Kong, Princess Peach Showtime, Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party, and Mario and Luigi.

Nintendo is treating Zelda like an unwanted step-child compared to Mario.

Outside of it being too much Mario, it's damn good. They really needed to drop some more smaller hd ports like F-Zero, Metroid Prime 2/3, and a Zelda port to balance out just how reliant it is on Mario.

Don't tell me WWHD or TPHD would've been out of the question with Echoes of Wisdom coming this year when we are currently getting Mario vs Donkey Kong, Princess Peach Showtime, Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Party, and Mario and Luigi.

Nintendo is treating Zelda like an unwanted step-child compared to Mario.
They simply lined up a ton of mario to cash in on movie hype, and cause many of them are easier to make. But it for sure was to much mario those last 2 years.

They simply lined up a ton of mario to cash in on movie hype, and cause many of them are easier to make. But it for sure was to much mario those last 2 years.
Hopefully they keep that same energy when the Zelda movie drops. I doubt it though.

I personally feel like the start of the year has been kinda weak. I'm not super invested in Paper Mario so while TTYD has my attention to some degree it's not a must-own. Nor were Peach Showtime and the Mario vs. DK remaster. And the Endless Oceans scores scared me off from that at full price as I have no experience with the Wii games. All four are in my "Target BOGO" wishlist right now.

But getting a new 2D Zelda, Mario & Luigi and Mario Party game in time for the holiday season? Hell yes. Add to that a smattering of JRPG goodness from Square-Enix and I'm quite happy. Plus the MvC collection is just a long-awaited cherry on top.

This is a solid "end of life" year lineup. Switch is closing out on some fairly high notes by the looks of it. I may have preferred things to be a little more spread out but I have a backlog and I get the importance of the holiday lineup.

Once again, an embarrassment of riches. A fine final year to Nintendo's best console imo.

Not everything is to my tastes nor felt the need to buy day one but the variety and trifecta of the last three for the year makes it a good year and an interesting one to discuss tbh.

The only thing that feels sorely lacking to me is no Prime 2 or 3. I was so hopeful they’d be announced right alongside Prime 4, but now I’m really worried they’re not coming at all. Sure, there’s still a chance, but yesterday was the time that made most sense if you ask me. Part of me wonders if they rethought their alleged plans of simple upres ports after Prime 1 Remastered was so beloved, either to cancel them or start over if we’re lucky. It’ll feel like a waste if they don’t come out before Prime 4.

Personally, it's been good so far and I think it'll end up strong overall. Nintendo's first half is more appealing to me than their second. I enjoyed Another Code Recollection, Mario vs. DK, Side Order, Princess Peach Showtime, and TTYD. I only skipped Endless Ocean after the reviews and changed Story Mode format compared to the second game, and I plan to skip Luigi's Mansion 2 HD. That's 5/7 of their major releases, which I think is pretty solid. However, looking at the second half of the year, with (currently) 5 major games announced, I'm only plan to get two: TLOZ: Echoes of Wisdom and M&L Brothership. That represents a decline, but we'll see if they announce anything else. Regardless, I'm still satisfied.

Back
Top Bottom