• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion How do we feel about Nintendo's entire 2024 lineup?

tuskoub

Piranha Plant
Pronouns
he/him
image.png

Another Code Recollection - January 19
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - February 16
Splatoon 3 Side Order -
Princess Peach Showtime - March 22
Endless Ocean Luminous - May 2
Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door - May 23
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - June 27
Nintendo World Championships NES Edition - July 18
The Legend of Zelda Echoes of Wisdom - September 26
Super Mario Party Jamboree - October 17
Mario & Luigi Brothership - November 7

What do you think of the lineup of first-party Nintendo releases here? How do this measure up to the rest of the Switch's years? How does this feel as a console's final year?

definitely one of the worst Switch years

i'd still take it over 2021 and probably 2018 though

edit: 2020 too I guess so I guess that puts it pretty much in the middle if just ranking them in order but still much closer to the worst year than the best overall

I’m so happy with the Zelda game, M&L Brothership is a dream come true for many people, and Mario Party is looking really good! I wish the motion controls wern’t forced, but oh well, hair in the soup and all.

It's not the strongest lineup the Switch has had but for being in year 8 it's pretty darn good.

Pretty damn good for this old of a console.

And they're basically doing 2021 all over again this holiday: New Mario Party for big sales and mass appeal + third party JRPG (DQ3) for more hardcore... except on top of that we're also getting a brand new Mario + Luigi game and a brand new 2D Zelda game a bit earlier in the fall. Really impressive holiday lineup considering I didn't expect that much at all.

Spring/Summer slate is skinny, but outside of that - it's pretty solid, fall/holiday lineup is nice.

Still feel there's room for something they have yet to announce. Something is missing.

A bit Mario/remake-heavy, but still really good! Even though I love Another Code, the second half of the year is where it's at

Pretty good, carried a lot by TTYD for me personally, and of course we still need to see for sure on the new games but they look good. 2025 is already looking like it might be more of my cup of tea with Donkey Kong and Metroid on the horizon, but I can't complain; I really want to try the new Zelda and Mario & Luigi games, too.

Crazy thing is that it's still entirely possible for a September Direct to announce another game for December, possibly even another shadow announcement like Nintendo World Championships. Pretty damn good final year!

if this is really the last full year of Switch 1, I can't complain at all. This lineup wouldn't look out of place for a console at its midpoint

the Switch should be running on fumes by now and it's somehow still kinda firing on all cylinders

In the context that Nintendo systems generally have poor final years from a first party stand point, I have to say that this is a pretty decent lineup.

Would I like to see one or two more new games sprinkled in there? Absolutely. Am I bummed at no Metroid 2/3 remaster? Sure.

All that said, I am getting a brand new Zelda game in 3 months. Lets go!

Honestly, for the final full year before the successor when they must be pouring their resources and biggest teams/franchises into the successor, I think it's pretty great.

I do feel like they're missing a trick not releasing one of the remaining Wii U absentees just to fill it out a bit more (Yoshi's Woolly World for me), but perhaps there's still a last minute reveal to come at some point. Or maybe they want to keep things like that back to continue Switch support with minimum effort once they Switch 2 is out.

Spring/Summer slate is skinny, but outside of that - it's pretty solid, fall/holiday lineup is nice.

Still feel there's room for something they have yet to announce. Something is missing.
I expect at least two more things

Something from Nintendo, and something from Pokemon

In the context that Nintendo systems generally have poor final years from a first party stand point, I have to say that this is a pretty decent lineup.

Would I like to see one or two more new games sprinkled in there? Absolutely. Am I bummed at no Metroid 2/3 remaster? Sure.

All that said, I am getting a brand new Zelda game in 3 months. Lets go!

Well said. Unless we get very lucky with a couple last-second things in a potential September Direct, I'm really bummed out about Prime 2 and 3 being excluded, really a shame to me as those games are so great and deserved their chance to shine like 1. Would have also made all of Retro Studio's games playable on Switch which would have been awesome.

Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom and Mario & Luigi: Brothership potentially elevating what I think is otherwise a not especially good year. I've just rewatched the Brothership trailer and I'm more excited for it now.

And, to be honest, if I'd known there was a third Mario RPG coming I'd have skipped buying TTYD remake. Three in 12 months is just bizarre pacing on top of all the other Mario content.

For a 7-8 years old console? Fucking fantastic!
Remember during Wii's last years we were starving for something to play? And it was one of Nintendo successful consoles, I won't even mention Wii U.

Not bad for the last year of a console's life. I'll probably only be picking up Zelda, though.

Two first party games for me this year, Zelda and Mario & Luigi. To my own tastes it's pretty light, but I recognize that it's a banger in the context of year 7! Plus I got Ace Attorney Investigations so I can't complain

Given that there's only one game I will buy (Zelda), it's shockingly bad. Worst for almost a decade, maybe more. I'd like to see that image with remasters and DLC removed, lol. Like, an "original games only from Nintendo in 2024" image. It's grim.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of 2016 as worse, but going back and looking at it there were 3 or 4 Nintendo games I enjoyed from 2016. So this is about as bad as it gets, personally.

But understandable, given the circumstances.

It's alright for my tastes, but for the last year of the console it's pretty good. Just a not a lot of new experiences. I think/hope Zelda ends up being the highlight, though.

The Mario (RPGs especially) game pacing has just been especially aggressive.

For the last year of a console I’d say it’s pretty great
Exactly...

Also, I like to throw games I'm 100% playing on Switch into the fold too that aren't 1st party...so when I throw in Darkest Dungeon II, MvC Collection, Dragon Quest III HD-2D, etc. etc. etc. my 2024 is looking great for the rest of the year lol.

Honestly one of the best end of lifecycle years for any console.
It definitely beats out the barren emptiness of the Wii's final stretch and the Wii U's... full of not-great games-ness of its final year.

As a final console year, personally, I think it's great! In terms of Switch years, it's easily near the very bottom. WAY too heavy on Mario games, remakes, and the spaces between are games that are either much too simple or short. Even though they're remakes/ports, I truly think a Metroid Prime 2+3 package (to catch people up who just played Prime 1 last year) or Fire Emblem Genealogy of the Holy War remake in August would've fleshed the year out a bit more, gave us a core audience title to balance it slightly, and padded out the very dry summer schedule.

It’s good. I think it would’ve helped if we had something like DK this year. July/August is very light with just the NES Championships, which is kind of more of a novelty/niche thing. Probably one of Nintendo’s weaker Switch years, but still not bad by any means.

Not bad at all. Better than 2018 and maybe 2020.
I’m getting 3 games for sure and I could even buy princess peach if i’m in the mood.
The funny thing is that 2025 looks to be better than 2024 even without the switch 2.

First half was meh, solid second half though. Just missing a good Summer game.
Still think it's funny how that one guy said TOTK would be the last big Switch game lol

Mario/10. Yeah it's very Mario and I'm saying this as someone coming from another Mario year.

That said I'm really happy that Mario & Luigi came back. Redeemed the whole year.

Very happy now! The first half didn't have much for me aside from Peach but seeing how easy it was, it lost its appeal to me (which is fine! I just wasn't its intended audience) but I know I'll be picking up Zelda on day one and that's enough for me! Seeing as to how close we are to the successor, I'm pretty surprised at what we did get during the Direct, but I'm definitely looking to 2025 with lots of the reveals more so than the latter half of 2024's games

The last three games look great. I am not interested in remastered games, except for TTYD.

It's pretty remake heavy and Endless Ocean ended up a bit of a dud but I did enjoy what I played of Side Order and TTYD was a good remake of a decent game. The end of the year looks much better though.

Good year if you like 2D Zelda and Mario RPGs. Not too exciting otherwise.

I'm a Mario fan so I don't mind seeing a lot of cool Mario projects, but I get that some people are absolutely sick of most of the lineup being Mario.

It's definitely very good for an end of a generation lineup tbh. For me, it's a solid 7.

First half carried by TTYD but that's a remake of a 20 year old game. 2nd half is a buffet, personally.

Very weak for me. First year I don't plan on buying a game. Especially compared to last year where I bought a lot of games.

I think it depends for person, since having a new Mario and Luigi, 2D Zelda and Mario party, DQ and ace attorney, is huge for me.

Like for me it’s a 8/10 final stretch, which has never been heard of, since the GameCube, Wii and Wii U were abysmal, meanwhile this is quite neat.

But I’m overall excited seeing the Switch 2 revel.

For end of the life cycle is good, Zelda and Mario Party are the most exciting announcements. Probably one of the weakest if not the weakest years of the Switch.

EDIT: the more I think about it this is pretty good year, if Zelda, Mario & Luigi and Mario Party are all really good then this is probably better than 2018 & 2020

Last edited:
Don't take this the wrong way, but this is their B-team year. Basically the line-up you would get on a portable Nintendo console
Most of the Nintendo published titles are developed by outside devs as well. Guessing the Zelda game is by Grezzo and M&L is by another outside dev.

It's very strong and can stand with Sony/Xbox but it makers me wonder what EPD has cooking for Switch 2. We'll find out soon.

Back
Top Bottom