• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion How did you come up with your username?

Big Mega Man fan and around the time this whole "inter-net" thing started becoming a fad, I was on a Mega Man forum as Battle Network 2 was being released

My local Gamestop broke the street date for Battle Network 2 and I got my copy a week early. I got to the MagnetMan section of the game and it was honestly the best Battle Network section yet. The map had a fun gimmick, the music was amazing, and I really liked MagnetMan's redesigned look. Yes, it's basically a big magnet with legs, but it's way above his Classic look which was a sniper joe but with a magnet stuck to his head.

And the "_" is because all normal uses of the name were taken.

I.have used the same Nickname since 2007 i chose it because its a less common Japanese/Chinese word for Dragon as it references the zodiac specifically

Had a buttload of usernames and such throughout the years. The name Rika was cause of Rika Furude from Higurashi. I usually go under RikaxNipah on most sites/platforms

Guarana is a native fruit from Brazil.
Just found it to be less cliche than those edgy cringe usernames people used to have on videogame forums like DaRkLoRdFrOMhEll666 etc.

Big Mega Man fan and around the time this whole "inter-net" thing started becoming a fad, I was on a Mega Man forum as Battle Network 2 was being released

My local Gamestop broke the street date for Battle Network 2 and I got my copy a week early. I got to the MagnetMan section of the game and it was honestly the best Battle Network section yet. The map had a fun gimmick, the music was amazing, and I really liked MagnetMan's redesigned look. Yes, it's basically a big magnet with legs, but it's way above his Classic look which was a sniper joe but with a magnet stuck to his head.

And the "_" is because all normal uses of the name were taken.
That was a really cool map but god that boss battle was pain in the ass as a kid, when he summoned a clone and double charged you? Good grief.

Battle Network collection Capcom pls

Ah man, such a great album.

When I made my first Xbox Avatar, I tried to make him look 'cool'. My pop joked that I looked like the Hustler Kid from the cartoon Recess. He started calling me Slick Tony as a joke. It stuck and now I'm THE Slick Tony (because everyone else is obviously a poser 😎).

Mine is hyper specific. When I was in school, I used to go regularly to the Wizards of the Coast Game Center (this was like the stores but it had a full on play center attached). This was mostly a place for Magic: The Gathering tournaments, but they had 12 BattleTech mech pods there and we played those a lot. I guess I wasn’t very good initially, because my coach said I should be called Barely Able. After that it sort of stuck as a good alias to use for things like that or go kart racing, which was another thing we did a lot. (though there wasn’t much in the way of forums at that point)

Mine is hyper specific. When I was in school, I used to go regularly to the Wizards of the Coast Game Center (this was like the stores but it had a full on play center attached). This was mostly a place for Magic: The Gathering tournaments, but they had 12 BattleTech mech pods there and we played those a lot. I guess I wasn’t very good initially, because my coach said I should be called Barely Able. After that it sort of stuck as a good alias to use for things like that or go kart racing, which was another thing we did a lot. (though there wasn’t much in the way of forums at that point)
Ngl, I have been wondering where your name came from. 😅

FFXI random name generator came up with mine and its been a name I've liked and used for a long time. Also helps that its usually not taken.

2011 was a very defining year of gaming for young adult me. I experienced a gaming renaissance with Skyrim, Xenoblade, Dark Souls, Zelda. The years before I had fallen off this hobby as I prioritized my social life.

Tak‘riel was the name of my High Elf in Skyrim, the very first character I created. It somehow just stuck with me since then.

So, i was 14 years old when i tried to come up with a new and cool nickname and i thought the word "Shadow" sounded cool; but the word itself was used a lot as of nickname in forums and games, so i had the original idea of adding my age next to it (Shadow14).
After that, i thought about changing it because it sounds a little edgy, and people in online games thought i was 14, but it stuck with me and i feel like it's part of my internet identity.
IRL i'm a person that doesn't stick out or drawn a lot of attention, so in a way, "shadow" it's a good definition for me. I'm sorry for sounding edgy 😅

In a former life, I joined up with another writer from online rag 411Mania to make a new website. It was called New Game Plus, so I changed all of my online accounts to ‘NGPDrew’ (Drew being my first name). The site lasted a year or two and got me in some fun places (including seeing the Wii U early in a private setting) so I’ve held onto the name as a memento to a time gone by.

I never had a cool idea or backstory for a nick so I just went with 'undefined' which just means that a variable has no value in Javascript. Lots of bugs and errors are related to undefined variables too so it's a well-known thing to web devs :p

I just wanted to do something out of my RL name I guess. (Which should be quite obvious) I also sometimes go by lexonid or lexi. I know it sounds stupid but at least it is short and rarely taken.

I use this name for a long time now, since when i played CS back in the 00s. At the time, I was fascinated with the Smashing Pumpkins and started calling myself either jzero or judas zero because of them(in case you don't know, there is B sides collection by them called Judas 0). Nowadays I don't really listem to them, but i still love this name

Importing a Dreamcast in 1998. Getting Sonic Adventure right after. Tails in Japanese sounded like «Tailzu» or «Tailzo».

2003, went to make an account on GameFAQs to ask questions on the games I was playing. At the time my most hyped game was the localization of Mega Man & Bass on GBA. I always thought Bass looked cool from MM7-8 and the BN games, so I decided I would pick "Bass Forever" and the rest is history.

Uhhhhh.. Mine came from WookieeLotion because I maintain there's nothing more grotesque than a wookiee covered in lotion. I dropped the lotion. Not sure why since now I'm gonna get dry skin but hey, is what it is.

A friend helped me come up with this username almost exactly a decade ago, back in high school. He said it described my personality - fiery and full of energy. I still quite like it, but I wonder if it's time for a "refresh." A decade is a long time, after all.

A friend helped me come up with mine, it’s a combination of two games I like — Dragon Quest XI and Ghost of Tsushima.

I regrettably got in too deep into the MLP fandom back in 2011 and needed a vaguely horse-sounding name.

I was really into Nintendo as a kid but fell off in my teen years. For a while I was into darker types of games. Occasionally I got super into a game like Super Mario Galaxy but for the most part I was just not as into gaming. Then when I got my wife a 3DS in late 2011, my interest in gaming slowly ramped back up with games like 3D Land and Rayman Origins (Wii). Then in 2013 the Year of Luigi propelled my gaming interest considerably higher, especially in Nintendo games. Ravio and Nabbit represented two games that got me majorly interested in games again. Nabbit just has this charming appeal for me.

tumblr_mp18mm7r2w1rrftcdo2_500.gifv

@Dusa casually told me to use that name. She didn't think I'd be actually sticking with it, but the name's too cute!

Big football fan growing up, and I had this book about all the historical world cups. From Uruguay 1930 to France 1998. In it there were a bunch of cool names that I’ve used as a nickname on various sites. Schiaffino was an Uruguayan footballer in the 1950s, a “master of the green chess”. That spoke to me.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Alberto_Schiaffino

I like it. Easy to shorten to Schia or smth similar too.

I took my first name and added the Fire Emblem number to it.

Not really creative, but y'know ¯\ _ (ツ) _ /¯

BACK IN SOMETHING LIKE 1998, my bro was going to put on a club night called Best Before.

While detailing to the graphic designer in a pub what the name was, they misheard it as Best Of Four.

When we had the flyers come back, obviously it was wrong, but we ran with it because of the house music connotations.

Somewhere in small print on the edge of the flyer was the phrase fourfourfun. I liked it.

edit

actually I've changed my mind about sharing personal info on here lol

I'm a huge Brandon Sanderson fan. That's pretty much it. Well, and I also really liked the sound of it and the character it's from.

Back
Top Bottom