• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club How did Nintendo get away with this?

Joe

🦇
Pronouns
He/Him
From the first-ever Nintendo Direct:

The president of Nintendo of America flat-out asking people who were not interested in the Nintendo 3DS, "what's wrong with you?".

This is such a bold marketing strategy, essentially insulting their potential userbase. Amazingly, it not only went over well, but became one of the most iconic Reggie quotes ever.

How did they get away with this? I feel like any other company that would have done this would have been instantly hated forever. I also feel like Nintendo would never do something like this ever again.

It's a quick throwaway joke worthy or nothing more, but nothing less, than a single hearty chuckle, before moving on

kinda make sense, coming from the DS, all the "it prints money" memes, I would ask the same

this was 2011 where the industry was still shedding the “we’re a bunch of silly guys who are also hardcore” marketing. Even during the PS4 reveal Sony had that infamous “how to share games with your friends” ad. In the last 7ish years they’ve tried to dress up gaming as something more professional and not a bunch of frat boys making dunks.

to be fair, Reggie managed to say "Hey Ice King, why did you steal our garbage?" with a completely straight face the very next year.

he just has a knack for saying wild stuff.

Does anyone remember how Sony and Microsoft handled its marketing in the past? The PS2 and PS3 era marketing was especially childish.

It was a very different time, to be fair. The Style Savvy Game still hadn't graced the 3DS System, so its future as a platform was less clear.

I love the implication that people wouldn't be able to handle such a slight with as much grace today. I mean, probably true but still funny to me.

He was right. I didn't own a 3DS at the time and I truly don't know what the fuck was wrong with me.

I missed a lot of great games because of my foolish views on the 3DS, and I also missed the Samus Edition New 3DS XL, something I'll never let myself live down. Punishment... I deserve punishment.

Last edited:
Hey Joe

nintendo-reggie.gif

That's nothing compared to the console wars of the 90s, SEGA would literally call Nintendo fans arseholes on tv*

* not really, but not far off.

Back
Top Bottom