• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion How complete the JRPG main series on Switch are

I mean, I like to believe we’ll get close to that eventually, but even as an extremely dedicated Nintendo fan myself, I can’t say I’m that confident and optimistic that that will actually happen as you describe it.

For one, I don’t think Nintendo can sustain throwing every past game from every past system onto a subscription service; either they’re going to have to continue to introduce more and more subscription tiers (which will get very messy—and very expensive), or they’ll have to come up with some other solution for systems with higher value (and bigger sized) games like GCN, Wii, and 3DS such as going with a more Virtual Console-like distribution method rather than subscription…but that would mean we’ll be less likely to see some more niche games (I’d especially worry about stuff like WiiWare or 3DS eShop games—and honestly I even worry about DSiWare even if we get DS NSO).

And then you have to consider that even if Nintendo did put all of those on NSO, many third-party games would still be missing due to the respective third parties not cooperating. Even if you’re confident that Nintendo will get all of their games on NSO in time, there’s no way to guarantee that we’ll see games like Yo-kai Watch and The Denpa Men on there, too.
don't think it will all land on nso but if nintendo wants to keep the whole roughly one game a month thing they have going during the switch era then they are gonna have to dip deep into the catalogue. and they already are given they remade another code and famicom detective club of all things lol.

DQ VII and VIII is a lot of cash left on the table for no reason

I assume SMT IV and Apocalypse have a shot at arriving at modern platforms in a couple years as a stop gap until the next SMT
Main thing holding back ports of IV/IV:A (same with SJ) is that they'd basically have to redo almost the entire UI from scratch.

Atlus' megaten games from that era are designed to maximize the use of the DS/3DS's dual screen gimmick to sell you the visual atmosphere.

Man, seeing the Tales of list just hurts.
Considering where localized Trails was a decade ago (only Sky FC localized, Sky SC in localization hell, etc), the fact we're now a month away from being 1 game behind (soon to be 2 when Kai comes out in September) I think is a massive win for the Trails IP. Hopefully Falcom, NISA, and Xseed figure out a way to get CS1-2 on Switch in English.

Back
Top Bottom