• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion How complete the JRPG main series on Switch are

9-Volt

Yoshi
Pronouns
he/him
This generation is something special as it's the start of something. The digital libraries of the current gen consoles probably last forever, assuming all the future generations feature backwards compatibility (this is something Nintendo implied). So... every single past game should return to light of day some way another right? Especially big series. Like big JRPG series. Because usually JRPG series always has unique entries, none of them are directly connected to each other (with very few exceptions of course). Publishers are trying to bring back series one by one to current gen. But it seems to be slow, as no JRPG series is close to be complete on modern platforms. How does Switch fare about this? Let's see.

Few things first:
  • I'll be counting announced, confirmed but not yet released stuff.
  • I won't be counting online only entries as it's very difficult to bring them back
  • Only mainline stuff. Numbered or considered mainline by the devs. I'll be checking wikipedia to see if any game is canon or not.
  • These lists are currently only for Switch but the successor will continue the quest to complete them. I'll count the successor only re-releases in the future.
  • Only the big and well known JRPG series but if you think I'm missing a crucial one, let me know.

Here it goes:

FINAL FANTASY:
14 mainline entries (mmos excluded). 12 on Switch, 2 missing: Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XVI. FFXIII also isn't available on current Playstation consoles.

DRAGON QUEST:
11 mainline entries (DQX now has an offline version). Only 5 of them are on Switch. 6 missing: DQ4-5-6-7-8-9. DQX also isn't localized. DQ9 has never been available digitally.

MANA:
6 mainline entries. 5 of them are on Switch. Only the upcoming Visions of Mana is missing. Current Playstation consoles also have remakes of first two games. World of Mana games (Children and Heroes) are not mainline.

SAGA:
11 mainline games. 9 of them are on Switch. Missing games: SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga.

STAR OCEAN:
6 mainline games. 2 of them are on Switch. Missing: Till the End of World, The Last Hope, Integrity and Faithlessness, The Divine force

TALES OF:
17 mainline entries. 2 of them are on Switch. Missing games: Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Destiny 2, Rebirth, Legendia, Abyss, Innocence, Hearts, Graces, Xillia 1-2, Zestiria, Berseria, Arise. Destiny 2, Rebirth and Innocence have never been localized. In comparison, current PS consoles have three more Tales games: Zestiria, Berseria and Arise.

SHINING:
20 mainline entries. 4 of them are on Switch. The rest is missing and almost all of them has never been re-released. Not even in PS2 classics line on PS3. There are lots of unlocalized entries in the series: The rest of Shining Force 3 chapters, Shining Force Gaiden 3, Shining Wind, Shining Force Feather, Shining Hearts, Shining Blade, Shining Ark

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI:
9 mainline entries. 4 of them are on Switch. Digital Devil Story 1-2, Strange Journey, SMT4-A missing, DDS 1-2, SMT2 has never been localized.

PERSONA (I'll count this as a separate series due to popularity)
6 mainline entries. 3 of them are on Switch. Missing ones: Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

SUIKODEN:
5 mainline entries. 2 of them are slated to release on Switch. Missing ones: Suikoden 3-4-5.

ATELIER:
25 mainline entries. 16 of them are on Switch. Missing ones: Atelier Ellie, Atelier Lillie, Atelier Judie, Atelier Violet, Atelier Iris 1-2-3, Mana Khemia 1-2. First four of those have never been localized.

DISGAEA:
8 mainline entries. 5 of them are on Switch. Missing ones: Disgaea 2, D2 and 3.

THE LEGEND OF HEROES:
19 mainline entries. 12 of them are on Switch (2 are not localized: Cold Steel 1-2 and 2 are coming soon: Daybreak 2 and Kai). Missing ones: Dragon Slayer 1-2, Garghav Trilogy, Trails in the Sky 1-2-3. First two Dragon Slayer games have never been localized.

YS:
13 mainline entries. 8 of them are on Switch (Memorie Oath in Felghana is not yet localized). Missing ones: Mask of the Sun, Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand, Ark of Naphistim, Seven, Memories of Celcetta. Two of them have never been localized: Mask of the Sun and Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand.

ETRIAN ODYSSEY:
6 mainline entries. 3 of them are on Switch. Missing ones: 4, 5, Nexus

BREATH OF FIRE:
5 mainline entries. First two are on Switch, 3, 4 and Dragon Quarter are missing. All localized, they have been re-released a few times.

.HACK:
8 mainline entries. 3 of them are on Switch. First quadrology and Link is missing. Link has never been localized.

Smaller series:
Phantsy Star (4): All of them are on Switch
Grandia (4): Grandia 1 and 2 are on Switch, Extreme and 3 are not
Xenosaga (3): None of them are on Switch
Dept Heaven (4): 3 of them are on Switch, only one has been localized. Gungir is missing
Valkyria Profile (4): None of them are on Switch
Sakura Wars (6): None of them are on Switch
Growlanser (6): None of them are on Switch
Summon Night (6): None of them are on Switch
Neptunia (4): All of them are on Switch
Shadow Hearts (3): None of the are on Switch
Valkyrie Chronicles (4): 2 of them are on Switch. 2 and 3 are missing
Lunar (4): None of them are on Switch
Langrisser (5): First two of them are on Switch
Lufia (4): None of them are on Switch

Final Fantasy, SaGa and Mana are the closest ones to completion. Maybe Atelier too, if Gust continues to remake the missing games. Since their publishers don't care much, Tales and Shining completion look pretty difficult right now. What do you think? What complete series will we have on Switch? Which one will be completed first?

Last edited:
This generation is something special as it's the start of something. The digital libraries of the current gen consoles probably last forever, assuming all the future generations feature backwards compatibility (this is something Nintendo implied). So... every single past game should return to light of day some way another right? Especially big series. Like big JRPG series. Because usually JRPG series always has unique entries, none of them are directly connected to each other (with very few exceptions of course). Publishers are trying to bring back series one by one to current gen. But it seems to be slow, as no JRPG series is close to be complete on modern platforms. How does Switch fare about this? Let's see.

Few things first:
  • I'll be counting announced, confirmed but not yet released stuff.
  • I won't be counting online only entries as it's very difficult to bring them back
  • Only mainline stuff. Numbered or considered mainline by the devs. I'll be checking wikipedia to see if any game is canon or not.
  • These lists are currently only for Switch but the successor will continue the quest to complete them. I'll count the successor only re-releases in the future.
  • Only the big and well known JRPG series but if you think I'm missing a crucial one, let me know.

Here it goes:

FINAL FANTASY:
14 mainline entries (mmos excluded). 12 on Switch, 2 missing: Final Fantasy XIII and Final Fantasy XVI. FFXIII also isn't available on current Playstation consoles.

DRAGON QUEST:
11 mainline entries (DQX now has an offline version). Only 5 of them are on Switch. 6 missing: DQ4-5-6-7-8-9. DQX also isn't localized. DQ9 has never been available digitally.

MANA:
6 mainline entries. 5 of them are on Switch. Only the upcoming Visions of Mana is missing. Current Playstation consoles also have remakes of first two games. World of Mana games (Children and Heroes) are not mainline.

SAGA:
11 mainline games. 9 of them are on Switch. Missing games: SaGa Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga.

STAR OCEAN:
6 mainline games. 2 of them are on Switch. Missing: Till the End of World, The Last Hope, Integrity and Faithlessness, The Divine force

TALES OF:
17 mainline entries. 2 of them are on Switch. Missing games: Phantasia, Destiny, Eternia, Destiny 2, Rebirth, Legendia, Abyss, Innocence, Hearts, Graces, Xillia 1-2, Zestiria, Berseria, Arise. Destiny 2, Rebirth and Innocence have never been localized. In comparison, current PS consoles have three more Tales games: Zestiria, Berseria and Arise.

SHINING:
20 mainline entries. 4 of them are on Switch. The rest is missing and almost all of them has never been re-released. Not even in PS2 classics line on PS3. There are lots of unlocalized entries in the series: The rest of Shining Force 3 chapters, Shining Force Gaiden 3, Shining Wind, Shining Force Feather, Shining Hearts, Shining Blade, Shining Ark

SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI:
6 mainline entries. 2 of them are on Switch. Shin Megami Tensei 1-2 missing, SMT2 has never been localized.

PERSONA (I'll count this as a separate series due to popularity)
6 mainline entries. 3 of them are on Switch. Missing ones: Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment

SUIKODEN:
5 mainline entries. 2 of them are slated to release on Switch. Missing ones: Suikoden 3-4-5.

ATELIER:
25 mainline entries. 16 of them are on Switch. Missing ones: Atelier Ellie, Atelier Lillie, Atelier Judie, Atelier Violet, Atelier Iris 1-2-3, Mana Khemia 1-2. First four of those have never been localized.

DISGAEA:
8 mainline entries. 5 of them are on Switch. Missing ones: Disgaea 2, D2 and 3.

THE LEGEND OF HEROES:
19 mainline entries. 12 of them are on Switch (2 are not localized: Cold Steel 1-2 and 2 are coming soon: Daybreak 2 and Kai). Missing ones: Dragon Slayer 1-2, Garghav Trilogy, Trails in the Sky 1-2-3. First two Dragon Slayer games have never been localized.

YS:
13 mainline entries. 5 of them are on Switch (Memorie Oath in Felghana is not yet localized). Missing ones: Ancient Ys Vanished 1&2, Wanderers from Ys, Mask of the Sun, Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand, Ark of Naphistim, Seven, Memories of Celcetta. Two of them have never been localized: Mask of the Sun and Lost Kefin, Kingdom of Sand.

ETRIAN ODYSSEY:
6 mainline entries. 3 of them are on Switch. Missing ones: 4, 5, Nexus

BREATH OF FIRE:
5 mainline entries. None of them are on Switch. All localized, they have been re-released a few times.

.HACK:
8 mainline entries. 3 of them are on Switch. First quadrology and Link is missing. Link has never been localized.

Smaller series:
Phantsy Star (4): All of them are on Switch
Grandia (4): Grandia 1 and 2 are on Switch, Extreme and 3 are not
Xenosaga (3): None of them are on Switch
Dept Heaven (4): 3 of them are on Switch, only one has been localized. Gungir is missing
Sakura Wars (6): None of them are on Switch
Growlanser (6): None of them are on Switch
Summon Night (6): None of them are on Switch
Neptunia (4): All of them are on Switch
Shadow Hearts (3): None of the are on Switch
Lunar (4): None of them are on Switch
Langrisser (5): First two of them are on Switch

Final Fantasy, SaGa and Mana are the closest ones to completion. Maybe Atelier too, if Gust continues to remake the missing games. Since their publishers don't care much, Tales and Shining completion look pretty difficult right now. What do you think? What complete series will we have on Switch? Which one will be completed first?
Cool thread idea. Breath of Fire I and II are on NSO.

Oh yeah, they ARE on SNES NSO, not GBA. I'll fix that.
Missing a few Ys games too I think:

For the questions at the bottom of the thread, I’m assuming this thread is mostly in regards to Switch 1 as I expect more of these to complete by Switch 2. I think from where we are currently standing, I think Mana potentially has the best shot at having every game on Switch first depending exactly on how ambitious Visions is and if not that’s a lock for Switch 2. Square seems very thorough on bringing back Saga games, and with the last two left only being a PS1 game and a PS2 game that’s probably the most safe bet in the long run. Disgaea and Xenosaga each have decent-ish shots I feel since NIS has been pretty good about bringing its back catalog forward and Xenosaga has ties to Xenoblade. The series I most hope to see get perfect attendance is Chrono. Just need Chrono Trigger Square! You can do it!

This is an amazing resource. Thanks for compiling the information. Everytime they release a new Atelier game or port over an older title, i‘m baffled how many already are on Switch. There are 25 main games..? 😨

Nice job.

Thinking about where the Switch started it's amazing how far it's come. For the most part it's pretty good the worst two criminals (for me) are definitely Kingdom Hearts and Tales of series. The lackluster treatment is boggling my mind.

Nicely compiled OP.

I find it completely understandable that a game isn’t on Switch when it needs to have some element of redesign alongside remastering or even a remake, like a lot of DS/3DS games. But the series I’m really surprised we don’t have more of on Switch in terms of raw percentage is Tales.

List is missing Fire Emblem if it’s including Shining and Valkyria. Again I’m not surprised the 3DS games aren’t on Switch, but the series has a ton of older entries I wish were more accessible. Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn feels ripe for a remake but I’d be happy with a port.

While not that popular here, I would also add the SAO games. Out of 9, 4 are on Switch (and probably Last Recollection is also coming)

This is an amazing resource. Thanks for compiling the information. Everytime they release a new Atelier game or port over an older title, i‘m baffled how many already are on Switch. There are 25 main games..? 😨
Best 25 games! (technically 24 since Nelke would be considered a spinoff)

I honestly wouldn't count FF15, it's clearly not the main line experience.
So 1-12 (11 entries), so we're missing 13, 15 and 16 (and I'd argue 13-2, 13-3 and ff7 remake...

Tail of is a travesty. So confused, since bamco are so buddy buddy with Nintendo.

SMT: isn't the first one on the Japanese nso app? So...

And we need a breath of fire collection for 3/4 to be available

Is Octopath a ‘main JRPG series’ yet? 🤔 It doesn’t feel far off!

While there’s huge gaps in the back catalogue of longrunning series. SE really spammed rpgs on Switch. Which kinda reminds me of the SNES/PSOne years, when various experimental titles were pushed out, some of which found their feet and some didn’t.

Also, how about Front Mission? We got remakes of the first two so far, the third has been announced too.

Last edited:
6 mainline entries. 2 of them are on Switch. Shin Megami Tensei 1-2 missing, SMT2 has never been localized.
Errr how did you count this? Mainline megaten is SMT1, SMT2, Nocturne, Strange Journey (Redux), SMT4, SMT4 apocalypse and 5 Vengeance.

Of those games, SMT1-2 are on the Switch but only on Japanese NSO, Nocturne got a port and Vengeance was a native switch release. The games not accessible are SJ Redux, SMT4 and SMT4 apocalypse.

Errr how did you count this? Mainline megaten is SMT1, SMT2, Nocturne, Strange Journey (Redux), SMT4, SMT4 apocalypse and 5 Vengeance.

Of those games, SMT1-2 are on the Switch but only on Japanese NSO, Nocturne got a port and Vengeance was a native switch release. The games not accessible are SJ Redux, SMT4 and SMT4 apocalypse.
I was losing it the other day trying to figure out what the criteria for a mainline SMT game even was, versus being part of some other random subseries or what.

The OP is the first list I've seen leave it at just the numbered SMT games (plus Apocalypse probably, which I guess sneaks in due to still going under SMTIV). Almost everyone seems to at least talk about Strange Journey alongside them, and both SMT Wikis include Strange Journey along with the numbered titles, but also If and Nine. Wikipedia's list is even longer and has some weird shit I've never heard of like an AR phone game for some reason.

But why include specifically Strange Journey as the only non-numbered entry? And is there really a strong reasoning for not counting the first two games beyond them not having the "Shin" in the title yet? Every time I try to pin it down to certain elements of gameplay or story or setting, it falls apart completely.

I was losing it the other day trying to figure out what the criteria for a mainline SMT game even was, versus being part of some other random subseries or what.

The OP is the first list I've seen leave it at just the numbered SMT games (plus Apocalypse probably, which I guess sneaks in due to still going under SMTIV). Almost everyone seems to at least talk about Strange Journey alongside them, and both SMT Wikis include Strange Journey along with the numbered titles, but also If and Nine. Wikipedia's list is even longer and has some weird shit I've never heard of like an AR phone game for some reason.

But why include specifically Strange Journey as the only non-numbered entry? And is there really a strong reasoning for not counting the first two games beyond them not having the "Shin" in the title yet? Every time I try to pin it down to certain elements of gameplay or story or setting, it falls apart completely.
With Strange Journey specifically, I feel it's because of a confluence of factors rather than any strong specific reason:
  • Made by veteran devs of the series (Kaneko, Shogai)
  • Was a candidate to carry the SMT IV name
  • Classic dungeon-crawling gameplay, but not a part of the Devil Summoner
  • The Demonica reappears in subsequent (mainline) games, "elevating" the status of SJ somewhat
Despite the name, I would still include SMT if as mainline due to its proximity to the other SNES games, but I see why others don't. Now, why the Megami Tensei games aren't considered mainline, I have no clue. I'd assume it's just due to how obscure they are, plus, as you say, the name change.

Strange Journey is considered mainline mainly because Atlus always lists it alongside numbered entries as the "core" franchise. Basically the only reason it's not SMT4 is because they wanted to reserve the numbering for games set in Japan, while with SJ they wanted to take a more global approach. It otherwise deals with the same motives and themes (recreation of the world due to social stagnation). That global approach is also why the Schwarzwelt manifests on Antarctica; Antarcticas landmass is divided up among most of the world powers, meaning the Schwarzwelt is the "dead world" of every country on earth.

Megami Tensei isn't counted since they're licensed tie-in games for an old novel series from the 80s. Shin Megami Tensei is Atlus' own take after they kinda took things in their own direction for Megami Tensei 2 and realized they'd much rather do their apocalyptic plots without being held back by the source material being about a guy summoning demons to kill his high school bullies. Hence: Shin Megami Tensei (they literally called it "New" Megami Tensei.)

if is usually considered more of a "proto Persona" game than part of mainline, which is why it doesn't make the cut. It notably doesn't really have many of the themes and plot elements that mainline deals with (no real alignment is the big one, instead you pick your main party member which dictates most of the plot, something which P1 would reuse to a lesser extent and gets a much more minor reuse in P2.)

Where have we seen that Trails of Cold Steel 1+2 are coming to Switch, I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I've been waiting for those to get into that series.

Fantastic thread. I've thought about doing som a thing similar with Nintendo First Party titles in the past.

And yeah, Nippon and NIS need to get their act together. My shelf looks weird with Disgaea 1, 4, 5 ,6

Did a search and yeah Strange Journey is included in mainline series, as well as Digital Devil Story, origins of the games.
Where have we seen that Trails of Cold Steel 1+2 are coming to Switch, I tried searching but couldn't find anything. I've been waiting for those to get into that series.
They were only released in Japan and Asia. I included unlocalized games in series. We didn't get them in english as XSEED holds the rights of them in west and doesn't bother with ports.

No Xenogears or Xenosaga ports on the Switch is bizarre considering their relation to Xenoblade. Are there rights issues or something?

Great initiative, I hope we will see the list to grow in the future.

Regarding Final Fantasy, I think you should count XIII-2 and Lighting Returns as they are mainline. Also, VII Remake and VII Rebirth are mainline iirc.

Regarding Final Fantasy, I think you should count XIII-2 and Lighting Returns as they are mainline. Also, VII Remake and VII Rebirth are mainline iirc.
I'm not sure about that one, FF13 isn't the only one with direct sequels. We have FF4 After Years and FFX-2 and they sure are not mainline. Same goes with remakes, FF3 remake also drastically different than original. For FF let's just leave it at numbered releases.

I'm not sure about that one, FF13 isn't the only one with direct sequels. We have FF4 After Years and FFX-2 and they sure are not mainline. Same goes with remakes, FF3 remake also drastically different than original. For FF let's just leave it at numbered releases.
But you are counting X-2 on your list, right? If not there should be 11 mainline FFs.

Do the newer Yakuza/Like A Dragon games count?

Also, I assume this isn't counting Nintendo's own JRPGs like Golden Sun, Pokemon, and Xenoblade?
Nah, Yakuza becoming a RPG is a recent thing, much of the franchise is still beat em up.

And yes I don't count Nintendo ones, they'll all eventually hit Switch/Switch successor in time. Especially when we get DS NSO with the successor.
But you are counting X-2 on your list, right? If not there should be 11 mainline FFs.
Nah, I counted FF15. It's the same game alright, albeit looks and plays very differently. I know it's not a loved piece of game but it's still FF15.

Great idea! I think it would be helpful to also list the ones that do exist on the switch instead of only the ones that are missing. They could also link to the e-shop page too if available.

And yes I don't count Nintendo ones, they'll all eventually hit Switch/Switch successor in time. Especially when we get DS NSO with the successor.
I wouldn’t be so sure of that, especially with 3DS and Wii U games, unless you think the Switch successor will be able to emulate those (and Nintendo will be willing to put them on NSO), but I don’t think we’ll be seeing 3DS NSO or Wii U NSO anytime soon (especially the latter), and maybe not even Wii NSO, either. Maybe on the Switch’s successor’s successor, lol, but who knows. And I doubt Nintendo is going to port games like Fossil Fighters: Frontier, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and Paper Mario: Color Splash. And, of course, there are all of the Pokémon games, including the Mystery Dungeon games. Then there are one-offs like Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., Ever Oasis, etc.

Plus there are the Yo-kai Watch games, which were only published by Nintendo outside of Japan, so that should count towards your list. Similarly, there’s Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Edition, a Nintendo-published installment of a third-party series. Oh, and the Denpa Men games, which are entirely third-party!

The way Bandai Namco’s handled the Tales series during the Switch era has been a complete disappointment; even with the series historically having being much more tied to PlayStation, only releasing two games on the Switch total (both of them remasters) across its seven years despite its popularity was a massive waste of potential.

While Arise sold well while not being on the Switch, Bandai Namco really should’ve had the series target the Switch more once it became clear the console was a success, both with original titles and remasters.

I wouldn’t be so sure of that, especially with 3DS and Wii U games, unless you think the Switch successor will be able to emulate those (and Nintendo will be willing to put them on NSO), but I don’t think we’ll be seeing 3DS NSO or Wii U NSO anytime soon (especially the latter), and maybe not even Wii NSO, either. Maybe on the Switch’s successor’s successor, lol, but who knows. And I doubt Nintendo is going to port games like Fossil Fighters: Frontier, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam, Paper Mario: Sticker Star, and Paper Mario: Color Splash. And, of course, there are all of the Pokémon games, including the Mystery Dungeon games. Then there are one-offs like Code Name: S.T.E.A.M., Ever Oasis, etc.

Plus there are the Yo-kai Watch games, which were only published by Nintendo outside of Japan, so that should count towards your list. Similarly, there’s Puzzle & Dragons Z + Super Mario Edition, a Nintendo-published installment of a third-party series. Oh, and the Denpa Men games, which are entirely third-party!
Sorry, I have no doubts, they'll all be on Switch/successor eventually. All of them. Fossil Fighters, ASH, Soma Bringer even the smallest, most obscure ones. Nintendo is on a quest to make even the most impossible games to be possible on NSO so there shouldn't be any doubts over this.

We'll even have Mother 3 in English in time. It's inevitable.

Sorry, I have no doubts, they'll all be on Switch/successor eventually. All of them. Fossil Fighters, ASH, Soma Bringer even the smallest, most obscure ones. Nintendo is on a quest to make even the most impossible games to be possible on NSO so there shouldn't be any doubts over this.

We'll even have Mother 3 in English in time. It's inevitable.
I mean, I like to believe we’ll get close to that eventually, but even as an extremely dedicated Nintendo fan myself, I can’t say I’m that confident and optimistic that that will actually happen as you describe it.

For one, I don’t think Nintendo can sustain throwing every past game from every past system onto a subscription service; either they’re going to have to continue to introduce more and more subscription tiers (which will get very messy—and very expensive), or they’ll have to come up with some other solution for systems with higher value (and bigger sized) games like GCN, Wii, and 3DS such as going with a more Virtual Console-like distribution method rather than subscription…but that would mean we’ll be less likely to see some more niche games (I’d especially worry about stuff like WiiWare or 3DS eShop games—and honestly I even worry about DSiWare even if we get DS NSO).

And then you have to consider that even if Nintendo did put all of those on NSO, many third-party games would still be missing due to the respective third parties not cooperating. Even if you’re confident that Nintendo will get all of their games on NSO in time, there’s no way to guarantee that we’ll see games like Yo-kai Watch and The Denpa Men on there, too.

Last edited:
I mean, I like to believe we’ll get close to that eventually, but even as an extremely dedicated Nintendo fan myself, I can’t say I’m that confident and optimistic that that will actually happen as you describe it.

For one, I don’t think Nintendo can sustain throwing every past game from every past system onto a subscription service; either they’re going to have to continue to introduce more and more subscription tiers (which will get very messy—and very expensive), or they’ll have to come up with some other solution for systems with higher value (and bigger sized) games like GCN, Wii, and 3DS such as going with a more Virtual Console-like distribution method rather than subscription…but that would mean we’ll be less likely to see some more niche games (I’d especially worry about stuff like WiiWare or 3DS eShop games—and honestly I even worry about DSiWare even if we get DS NSO).
Yeah, I think a lot of them are in the queue for a remake and will remain so for a long time.

TALES OF:

- The availability of Tales of games anywhere is baffling. From bad remasters, to simply wiping them off store fronts

- I am mixed on the Valkyria Profile games, but Covenant of the Plume is a hidden gem that should be ported.

- I can kinda see why VC3 has not been ported, it was never localized, but VC2 is right there. I like VC2's class system more than 1 and 4 and some of the story beats were good.

- I havent played all the Lufia games but its an interesting franchise that I forgot is now own by Square (since they acquire Taito) so its probably dead lol

I honestly looked at the wall the other day with the carts lined up and was thinking, "have all of my handhelds just been my secret JRPG behemoths and I just never noticed because I was always playing Metroid and Castlevania" ?

This is a great thread resource, thanks OP and others! I'm just getting into SaGa and the early FFs I've yet to play for one reason for another.

The lack of DQ seems egregious to me. Even now we’re getting remakes of I-III…all of which are already on Switch. Why not give us the other ones?

If you want the series to grow it needs to be made available.

- The availability of Tales of games anywhere is baffling. From bad remasters, to simply wiping them off store fronts
Namco as a whole is a baffling company. They make decisions by spinning a wheel of fortune. Like, how do you not have a Tekken collection? Capcom is having countless of them and Namco somehow hasn't yet started.
- I am mixed on the Valkyria Profile games, but Covenant of the Plume is a hidden gem that should be ported.
While Valkyria Elysium gives me hope for series future, Square needs to ramp up their efforts to bringing their legacy portfolio to the modern consoles. People within Square like Kawazu are doing all his best, we expect something similar from other parts of company. Enix is a treasure chest waiting to be rediscovered.
- I can kinda see why VC3 has not been ported, it was never localized, but VC2 is right there. I like VC2's class system more than 1 and 4 and some of the story beats were good.
Sega also has tons of JRPG's, many unlocalized, waiting to be revived. The status of Shining series is the direst, but something like Valkyrie at least has some following in west. VC2-3 HD should have been no brainers.
- I havent played all the Lufia games but its an interesting franchise that I forgot is now own by Square (since they acquire Taito) so its probably dead lol
Lufia/Estepolis series were created by Neverland, the original developers of Rune Factory series. They declared benkrupcy 10 years ago, Lufia Curse of the Sinistrals on DS remains as the last Lufia game ever (made after the Square's Taito acquisition). Square still can revive series by re-releasing the games but so far no interest from them. They do license out Taito property for external developers, such as Inin or Microïds. I suspect Lufia could be up for grabs as well.

I know FFXV is represented on switch via pocket edition but I would mark that as not included on switch since that actual game is not on switch at the moment.

I absolutely hate FFXIII but if they released the XIII trilogy I'd probably suffer through it, and I never played the other two. I'd be thrilled if they did some Quality of life improvements like they did with XII zodiac age. If they fixed the map (made it stop rotating, actually had names on the map/objective markers and such) and adjusted how leveling up is locked behind story progress, and possibly sped up the first 30 hours of the game somehow that would be perfect. (in reality if it was just the tweaks to the map and made staggering enemies slightly more achievable then the game wouldn't be nearly as terrible.)

I know FFXV is represented on switch via pocket edition but I would mark that as not included on switch since that actual game is not on switch at the moment.

I absolutely hate FFXIII but if they released the XIII trilogy I'd probably suffer through it, and I never played the other two. I'd be thrilled if they did some Quality of life improvements like they did with XII zodiac age. If they fixed the map (made it stop rotating, actually had names on the map/objective markers and such) and adjusted how leveling up is locked behind story progress, and possibly sped up the first 30 hours of the game somehow that would be perfect. (in reality if it was just the tweaks to the map and made staggering enemies slightly more achievable then the game wouldn't be nearly as terrible.)
Just out of interest, why replay a game you absolutely hate just because it’s got a pricey new re-release with some QoL changes? There’s hundreds of rpgs on Switch at this point, I’d always rather play something new than feel obligated to cough up for a game just because it’s a ‘major’ title

Quoted by: MP!
Missing ones: Persona, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
LmpwZw

Just out of interest, why replay a game you absolutely hate just because it’s got a pricey new re-release with some QoL changes? There’s hundreds of rpgs on Switch at this point, I’d always rather play something new than feel obligated to cough up for a game just because it’s a ‘major’ title
I guess to see if they fixed it, and I haven't played the other two in the trilogy which a lot of people say are better.
I'd play all three cause it's a cohesive throughline ... it's a trilogy so I'd probably start with XIII to have my save data all in one place. I believe XIII could be a great game if it had some fixes, but as it stands it's kind of torturous to play.
(example... the battle system is designed around 3 characters in your party ... and actually sort of works when you finally DO have 3 party members... but the game doesn't let you have 3 party members for like 50 hours. Each battle is a slog until you do)

I guess what I'm trying to say is ... I'd like to be able to like that game.

I guess to see if they fixed it, and I haven't played the other two in the trilogy which a lot of people say are better.
I'd play all three cause it's a cohesive throughline ... it's a trilogy so I'd probably start with XIII to have my save data all in one place. I believe XIII could be a great game if it had some fixes, but as it stands it's kind of torturous to play.
(example... the battle system is designed around 3 characters in your party ... and actually sort of works when you finally DO have 3 party members... but the game doesn't let you have 3 party members for like 50 hours. Each battle is a slog until you do)

I guess what I'm trying to say is ... I'd like to be able to like that game.
Fair enough. Yeah I do quite like the paradigm system. It just takes forever for the training wheels to come off while it shepherds you down some corridors to the next cut scene. Feels very much a product of its time

Fair enough. Yeah I do quite like the paradigm system. It just takes forever for the training wheels to come off while it shepherds you down some corridors to the next cut scene. Feels very much a product of its time
exactly it's got a decent foundation but it's facade is rough...
Or maybe it's got a flawed foundation
Or something...
There's something there, it's close to being it, but it just isn't.

I guess we're kind of off topic but yeah

Nah, Yakuza becoming a RPG is a recent thing, much of the franchise is still beat em up.

Nah, I counted FF15. It's the same game alright, albeit looks and plays very differently. I know it's not a loved piece of game but it's still FF15.
Ah, the Pocket Edition? Ok, I see.

DQ VII and VIII is a lot of cash left on the table for no reason

I assume SMT IV and Apocalypse have a shot at arriving at modern platforms in a couple years as a stop gap until the next SMT

Back
Top Bottom