• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Politics Honestly, the more time that goes on, the more I find federal government disfunctional

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him
Overall, this is entirely from a United States perspective.

I think conservatives have wanted this for years, the concept that states should really have more power to push their shitty and ineffectual policy.

However, as time goes on, the more that I see how much this country is effectually weighted towards these tiny, low population, and unsuccessful states. They overall are a drain on resources, our economy, and are constantly propped up by states that continue to make good progress.

Now, a constitutional ammendment would be immensely hard to fix these issues. However, I really think effectively cutting a lot of federal programs, to be run by states would actually be beneficial. We could get so much more done in pushing policy that will help people. Imagine state run universal Healthcare, UBI, and everything like that. It would be so much easier to implement these at the state level, especially if many federal programs were reduced, and funding was prioritized towards state funding instead.

Each state is about the same size as a country anyway, and I think with more state control, we could see quite a lot more progress.

Now, this comes with a few hardy drawbacks. The living quality between blue and red states would infinitely widen. Red states would certainly get very rough. However, I think without being propped up by federal funding, perhaps these states could see that what they are doing isn't working. Not only that, but I figure a lot of these states would be bankrupt and absorbed into something a bit more sane anyway.

I also think that any state worth their salt could implement some sort of rehabitation assistance to invite people from other states and make that transition easier.

At this point, of literally handing a miracle towards our current federal government. I think it's way easier to change stuff at a more local level. So I would love to see more of a focus on state politics. But I wanted to talk about this overall. There must be a reason why progressives don't push for this, so I am certainly open minded.

But I really would see this as a greater win, with way better quality of life for so many people. It would also drastically effect the constitutional impossibility that progressives have to push their platform. Stuff like New York having universal Healthcare, was a huge win. I think we could push more of an indepence state oriented angle, and even pick up more support that way.

It doesn't work that way. Our government at a state level is also ineffectual, even in very blue states. Look at how poorly California has been able to handle their issue with affordable housing. We have to deal with a lot of bureaucracy and far right to centrist politicians who don't enact policy in our interest.

Also, like, federal, state, and local politics are not mutually exclusive with one another. You can push for the most possible change in all three. Either way I'm pretty cynical wrt electoralism in general by now.

US Federal government is extremely inefficient, but extremely effective. Your mistake is assuming that its purpose is anything other than helping those in power stay in power.

Back
Top Bottom