• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Hideki Kamiya is teasing Bayonetta 4 (UPDATE: new IGN interview with Kamiya)

mazi

picross pundit
PlatinumGames’ Hideki Kamiya has commented on Bayonetta 4. Kamiya was a director on the first game, supervisor on the second, and supervising director on the third entry.

Kamiya’s comments came about in response to a fan question on social media, in which he said that an unexpected twist is in store. Additionally, he seems to feel that many people did not properly understand Bayonetta 3’s ending.

he seems to be basically confirming the sequel on twitter (link 1, link 2)
deepl translations:
(´-`). I'm sure that when Bayo 4 comes out, there will be a lot of "You added that to the game, didn't you? I'll tell you this now, because I'm sure that when Bayo 4 comes out, there will be a lot of "You put that in after the fact, didn't you?)
Thanks for your input...
I don't want to take away your space to think, and I can't say much about it because it concerns the sequel, but it seems that everyone has some misconceptions... In any case, if you are still interested in the work, please wait for the sequel...

i haven't played 3 yet so i don't know how the story ends but i was kinda assuming 3 will be the last one, at least for a while. good to see that he's confident there'll be a sequel so soon after the release of 3.

i haven't played 3 yet so i don't know how the story ends but i was kinda assuming 3 will be the last one, at least for a while. good to see that he's confident there'll be a sequel so soon after the release of 3.
The ending of 3 explicitly confirms there will be a 4. And that's not even a spoiler, it just says after the credits "to be continued" or whatever.

There's also a possibility of DLC or free updates for Bayo 3 hinted at by a fairly hidden thing.

Wait, people actually understand the story of the Bayonetta games?
3 was the first game where I actually cared to read some of those lore books about different characters. I think it helps a bit to understand the different characters and their counterparts.

Maybe I was reading it too literally but it says in the credits the next Bayonetta is coming for the next generation, but maybe they didn't mean the next generation of console(s).

I'm sure Bayonetta 4 can/will happen but I wouldn't read into this too much either.

Perhaps the thing most tragic about Bayonetta is that these games don't come out frequently enough. So, I'm hoping that it won't take another decade for Bayonetta.

Watch Viola turn into a Rock Version of Bayonetta with the same personality as Cereza.
Considering all the Tony Redgrave/Dante ticks that Viola checks off, that's actually closer to what I see in store for her. She'll be cool. More confident. Still be a bit of a dork. But come a long way from her awkward/punk phase.

In other words...Kamiya will finally have "his" Dante back.

Perhaps the thing most tragic about Bayonetta is that these games don't come out frequently enough. So, I'm hoping that it won't take another decade for Bayonetta.

Considering all the Tony Redgrave/Dante ticks that Viola checks off, that's actually closer to what I see in store for her. She'll be cool. More confident. Still be a bit of a dork. But come a long way from her awkward/punk phase.

In other words...Kamiya will finally have "his" Dante back.
robert-redford-jeremiah-johnson.gif

“I personally can’t conceive the Bayonetta series ever ending. I want to make a Bayonetta 4 and Bayonetta 5, and I intend on pitching them to the company. We often talk internally about how we could make nine of them. I want people who love the Bayonetta series to believe me when I say: ‘I’m not going to do anything that will betray the players’.”
“Taking the Bayonetta IP as an example, while I have a structure in mind for where the story is going to go far into the future, players are only able to pass judgment on the story that they have at the moment. They’ll say things like the series is going to end because the creators have no love for it. I want people to know that’s obviously not how it is. I love Bayonetta more than anyone. How could I not love Cereza and all the other characters I’ve fostered for this long?”

Now, is this a case of him talking out of his ass, or does P*/SEGA have some early agreement on future Bayonetta games (outside of the upcoming spinoff).

I've read the interview and it seems they are pitching Bayonetta 4 to Nintendo and SEGA and developing a "AAA" (aka: also for PS5/SeriesX) game, that could be multiplatform, but still including "a Nintendo console", so maybe even the Switch 2 (to be more in line in terms of power/process capabilities)

Perhaps the real Bayonetta 4 was the Cereza and the Lost Demon the whole time.

Just like Hey! Pikmin

I've read the interview and it seems they are pitching Bayonetta 4 to Nintendo and SEGA and developing a "AAA" (aka: also for PS5/SeriesX) game, that could be multiplatform, but still including "a Nintendo console", so maybe even the Switch 2 (to be more in line in terms of power/process capabilities)
This is the ideal scenario and I hope Sega and Nintendo bite.
They just have to for the love/sake of games.

I wish Kamiya would return to the directors chair for a sequel one of these days. I'm super excited for Project G.G., but he's created all of these awesome franchises and always steps aside to let someone lead the followup.

Now, is this a case of him talking out of his ass, or does P*/SEGA have some early agreement on future Bayonetta games (outside of the upcoming spinoff).
He's just talking about what he would like to do, he's not implying that they are actually working on something.

Also worth noting that it was the interviewer who brought up Bayonetta 4 and 5 first, so Kamiya is merely picking up on that.

Tbh, I wish people interviewing PG staff would ask about the state of the kickstarted Wonderful 101 DLC, but I guess no one wants to jeopardize future interview chances by asking uncomfortable questions.

Kamiya likes his creation and would like for it to be a successful long running series.

Nothing new. i just really don't see it being to regular ... or the AAA multiplat deal happening.
the ip is split between sega and nintendo now, with platinum being the only developer interested in it (and maybe having some say about the ip). if he can get nintendo to fund further parts, sure, why not. but i don't see a future where it goes multiplat again. or gets many parts green lit in advance.

Keeping the Bayonetta series going is of the utmost importance to me, so I'm not fixated on what numbers are attached to a game's title.

I kind of assume both that Nintendo has some sort of agreement in place, some right of first refusal, and that they will be absolutely willing -- things as they are -- to continue this element of their partnership; they sure seem willing to invest in the IP, even if it isn't actually one of theirs.

well I already assumed Nintendo had another project with Platinum. still hope Astral Chain 2 is a part of that
I hope we get Astral Chain 2 before Bayonetta 4.

Yeah, I certainly hope the Nintendo x Platinum partnerships continue; for now, I do expect a new Astral Chain is in the works, and likely more yet to come.

Beyond that, it's not surprising that that the talk is strong regarding Platinum's growth and self-publishing aspirations. It does sound like they want to grow pretty sizably and pretty quickly -- even considering the possibility of out-of-country and overseas. It'll be interesting to keep an eye on how this all goes for them.

i just really don't see it being to regular ... or the AAA multiplat deal happening.
the ip is split between sega and nintendo now, with platinum being the only developer interested in it (and maybe having some say about the ip). if he can get nintendo to fund further parts, sure, why not. but i don't see a future where it goes multiplat again.
That part really reads as some other, unrelated title being developed as not necessarily Nintendo-exclusive, rather than being about the Bayonetta series itself.

Now lets do a new action based star fox!
I really do think a Platinum Star Fox could be a good idea, though I assume overall control of storyvand plot would lie at Nintendo; the arcadey experience could translate rather well, and even Kamiya here has expressed a level of interest. For that, of course,
Personally, I try not to think about it. I'll turn 52 soon, and I don't know how much more I can do as a developer.
Nintendo might want to get on that Star Fox and Mysterious Murasame Castle -- this one with a companion title developed by Suda51 -- production if they were to have any intent of letting Kamiya live this dream [/ispoiler](but of course, the thing about dreams is there are so many of them)[/ispoiler].

This is the ideal scenario and I hope Sega and Nintendo bite.
They just have to for the love/sake of games.

just to clarify: I'm pretty sure that the Bayonetta 4 pitch is to SEGA and Nintendo, as a Nintendo exclusive.
The AAA game, instead, for his own words is multiplatform, but also "not necessarily as a Nintendo exclusive only", so it does sound to me like a possible full multiplatform game (so also for the "high-end consoles" aka PS5 and SeriesX) that can be ALSO for a Nintendo console; a Nintendo console that, to be in line with those high-end specs needs to be the Switch 2 (also because if they are pitching it right now, it will probably be a 2025 game at best)

Nintendo should just purchase the IP outright at this point.
I don't see why Nintendo would bother to buy Bayonetta as an IP unless they were also planning to buy Platinum Games. If PG dissolves or gets bought out by someone who doesn't want to work with Nintendo, what good does the Bayonetta IP do for Nintendo outside of easier Smash inclusion? It's probably cheaper to just license the IP from Sega even for 6 more numbered Bayonetta games and dozens of spinoffs then to buy the IP off them.

just to clarify: I'm pretty sure that the Bayonetta 4 pitch is to SEGA and Nintendo, as a Nintendo exclusive.
The AAA game, instead, for his own words is multiplatform, but also "not necessarily as a Nintendo exclusive only", so it does sound to me like a possible full multiplatform game (so also for the "high-end consoles" aka PS5 and SeriesX) that can be ALSO for a Nintendo console; a Nintendo console that, to be in line with those high-end specs needs to be the Switch 2 (also because if they are pitching it right now, it will probably be a 2025 game at best)

Yeap, bayo4 switch2 exclusive and the AAA multi sounds good. I meant bayo4 needs to happen!

Nintendo should just purchase the IP outright at this point.

this is my take as well.

I don't see why Nintendo would bother to buy Bayonetta as an IP unless they were also planning to buy Platinum Games. If PG dissolves or gets bought out by someone who doesn't want to work with Nintendo, what good does the Bayonetta IP do for Nintendo outside of easier Smash inclusion? It's probably cheaper to just license the IP from Sega even for 6 more numbered Bayonetta games and dozens of spinoffs then to buy the IP off them.
And that's the main thing: there's no reason to really rock the boat, because everybody gets something out of the current arrangement. Sega gets to collect a check, Nintendo otherwise is free to preside over a vanity IP that's largely exclusive to their platforms, and P* continues to make games for an IP that remains near and dear.

If it works for them, and I keep getting more games, that's more than enough for me.

“I personally can’t conceive the Bayonetta series ever ending. I want to make a Bayonetta 4 and Bayonetta 5, and I intend on pitching them to the company. We often talk internally about how we could make nine of them. I want people who love the Bayonetta series to believe me when I say: ‘I’m not going to do anything that will betray the players’.”

This certainly has James Cameron's "I have a plan for 7 Avatar films", but more bayonetta the better.

Back
Top Bottom