• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club hey watch the final scene of the Netflix Cowboy Bebop adaptation please (spoilers obviously)

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
I'm currently watching the original Cowboy Bebop for the first time, and a buddy of mine sent me this:

I think it's very funny, and I hope that you all do as well. Very expensive projects turning out so badly is funny to me, because I am a bad man. I hope that you do not judge me too harshly.

Garbage Galaxy on no fewer than two levels.

BD6-B458-D-E7-F4-445-B-A994-1-CA44-EAE535-A.jpg

I fully support their casting of a non-binary actor for the role but I just don't think Ed's anime mannerisms work in live action at all. They really should have done more to adapt Ed like they did Faye.

god help us all .... is what I would have said but there is no god cuz they wouldn't let this shit slide.

they are really leaning into Ed's anime like characteristic tendancy and so far I'm not too huge a fan

you ever cringe so hard that you break your back?

Anime was a mistake*

*this opinion is divorced from any opinion related to the show. It's a standalone opinion.

Cowboy Bebop has such a well realised sci-fi world, imagine if we got an adaption that actually explored that in more depth instead of whatever the hell this is.

I saw that scene yesterday and had no idea it was the final scene of the show lol. I don’t have Netflix and don’t plan to watch it.

Cowboy Bebop has such a well realised sci-fi world, imagine if we got an adaption that actually explored that in more depth instead of whatever the hell this is.
wdym, I love every scene taking place on an obvious soundstage

Watched the first episode yesterday and... It's surprisingly alright? Taken at what it is, mind you.

It's definitely a different take on Cowboy Bebop as an story, but i think it does hold up well once you let your brain realize the original still exists, an it being different doesn't suddenly make it not be worse.

* I also think Federation Force was a good game

This show is a perfect example why live action isn't always a path to take for fucking everything.

Watched the first episode yesterday and... It's surprisingly alright? Taken at what it is, mind you.

It's definitely a different take on Cowboy Bebop as an story, but i think it does hold up well once you let your brain realize the original still exists, an it being different doesn't suddenly make it not be worse.

* I also think Federation Force was a good game
As someone who has seen the whole show, I found it decently entertaining, but not necessarily good. The production is shockingly amateurish, particularly the writing. Most of the changes are for the worst. I also don't think many people who have not seen the original would like this; if anything they'd be kind of lost.

A live action anime adaptation is over the top and cringey? I am shocked!

Seriously, what did people expect?

I'm actually enjoying this show, but I recognize not everyone is and I also am aware that I tend to be really lenient with adaptations so anything that at least actually attempts to adapt the source material (rather than just making some unrecognizable bullshit and giving it the same name) will get a little respect from me because I saw Dragonball Evolution in theaters so I know true hell. And one thing I was hoping, really hoping they were doing was saving Ed for a surprise reveal (I didn't want to believe she just wasn't gonna be in the show) and I have nowhere else to gripe about this but I mostly just wanted to say THANKS RANDOM YOUTUBE THUMBNAILS AND TITLES FOR GODDAMN SPOILING THIS ONE THING THAT I'VE BEEN HOPING FOR YEARS TO BE SURPRISED BY YOU GARGANTUAN FUCKS anyway yay Ed is weird af and I happen to love 90s-era Sega commercials

As someone who has seen the whole show, I found it decently entertaining, but not necessarily good. The production is shockingly amateurish, particularly the writing. Most of the changes are for the worst. I also don't think many people who have not seen the original would like this; if anything they'd be kind of lost.
I feel a lot of people keep judging this based in what it isn't, instead of what it is. Which is an ongoing problem with media as a whole.

This is a pretty different take on the Cowboy Bebop universe, and it actually works as it is. You can have your preference as to if it's "better" or "worse" than the original, but ultimately it's just that, different. And it's not even the first one, the cowboy bebop manga, released after the actual anime, also had quite a few differences, and also went through a similar process of people complaining it wasn't the same.

The thing is, this existing doesn't suddenly erase the anime. That's always going to be there for us to enjoy, and frankly I'd take them branching off and trying to do different things than retreading the same story again, since we already went through that one.

I watched the first four episodes and if I decide to continue it it will be mostly because of the main cast. Took a while to get there but I enjoy them being together. I think the biggest issue that I have so far with it is that the Syndicate stuff is pretty much entirely awful for how much it's pushed to the front (with a very different take on the Julia character as well).

I feel a lot of people keep judging this based in what it isn't, instead of what it is. Which is an ongoing problem with media as a whole.

This is a pretty different take on the Cowboy Bebop universe, and it actually works as it is. You can have your preference as to if it's "better" or "worse" than the original, but ultimately it's just that, different. And it's not even the first one, the cowboy bebop manga, released after the actual anime, also had quite a few differences, and also went through a similar process of people complaining it wasn't the same.

The thing is, this existing doesn't suddenly erase the anime. That's always going to be there for us to enjoy, and frankly I'd take them branching off and trying to do different things than retreading the same story again, since we already went through that one.
What I'm saying is, even if you take it as separate from the anime, the production still has a lot of problems. The direction and cinematography is for the most part extremely bland and sometimes downright baffling. It's almost all tripod and dolly shots, which makes it feel very static, almost like a play. Almost everything is a medium shot. Two characters will talk and it will just cut back and forth to above-the-waist shots. The music is not mixed in very well and is often either too loud or too quiet. The action is quite oddly directed, often feeling too "rehearsed" and not natural. The dialogue is all very rough, very first draft. Most of the sets feel very cramped and artificial, which also lends it to the play-like feeling, with the set design overall being a mixed bag (I like that they went with the retro future look, but a lot of times you're taken out of the setting knowing it's shot on a soundstage). Lots of weird framing and blocking, scenes with just tons of dead visual space doing nothing. Tone is all over the place. Plot points are rushed through and not emotionally earned. You get the point.

But at the end of the day, they can't have it both ways. If they're going to constantly reference the original anime, they can't expect people to not compare them. I enjoyed the show overall, warts and all, but there is a lot that needs to improve in a season 2.

It's excessively mediocre on its own and does little to capture what made the original show so great besides some surface level details. If you get some enjoyment out of it that's fine but it wouldn't be a huge loss if we don't get a second season.

Would you say its stabby qualities are exaggerated or is it just right for stabbing?
Mine is old and blunt, so the stabby qualities have definitely diminished. If the one in the show was brand new though, might still be sharp enough.. 🤔

QsutcGr.jpg

"featuring our signature authentic cheese sauce" is the lorem ipsum of the future and I like it

Hey the show is pretty good, but that Ed costume is a costume of memes. They should completely re-work it and make it closer the the original. It amazes me they knocked out the characters and costumes with everyone else on the Bebop crew.

What's still weird is how they shuffled episodes and plots around, like switching Spike out for the computer mind virus episode and the twist with Rose at the end. I like how they are still trying to build off the original show in a unique way while introducing their own elements to make more episodes and content for this world.

I really hope they throw in some Carole and Tuesday songs on the radio or reference Space Dandy's Breasturants Boobies opening up shop for Spike and Jet to visit to expand on the whole world. And maybe allow possibilities for live action adaptations of those shows. (Carole & Tuesday would be amazing, especially if they cast the actual vocalists as the characters),

I watched the whole series having been hazy on the anime as it's been years and liked it and was ok with the changes they made

Not sure what the controversy is tbh
Purists gonna pure

Back
Top Bottom