• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Have the Mario characters been re-cast?

MagiCarbo

Bob-omb
In the footage for both the recently announced WarioWare Move It! and Super Mario Bros. Wonder, Mario, Wario, and the rest of the Mario characters sound a little... Off. It's hard to say if this is true or not considering nothing has been announced yet, but could Charles Martinet have retired from voicing Mario?

Is it possible Nintendo brought in new voice actors for most of the Mario cast?

Last edited:
While watching live the first few clips in the Wonder trailer sounded off, but it’s definitely Charles; you hear a lot more throughout the rest of the trailer. I think it just stands out because we’re getting less and less games with new voice clips; spin-offs mostly recycle from the same pool nowadays outside of special cases like Luigi’s Mansion 3. Yoshi’s clips are new too but i’m sure it’s still Totaka.

Mario and Luigi definitely sound like Charles. I actually think Yoshi's voice is the one they may have recast? But not sure. Could also just be new voice clips

Just sounded like new voice clips to me.

Although, this does make me wonder if Nintendo actually has an understudy lined up to take the role over in the future. Either that or they'll just rely on recycled voice clips or (god forbid) AI generated voices

I think Mario is still Charles, but something really does sound off about Wario in that one clip.

Just sounded like new voice clips to me.

Although, this does make me wonder if Nintendo actually has an understudy lined up to take the role over in the future. Either that or they'll just rely on recycled voice clips or (god forbid) AI generated voices
I imagine Nintendo has an entire vault of Martinet's voice clips, some re-used, some never before used, and could sustain themselves for years on them before they would need to hire someone else.

It literally just sounds like Mario to me. The clips are a bit chunky in audio, and I think their new voice clips overall, so they sound weird.

Charles is also just like getting old, Mario even sounded off in Luigi's Mansion 3 imo.

this feels like another Joakim Mogren situation where people are looking too deeply into minor changes. it seems highly unlikely Nintendo would ever recast Charles anytime soon, especially considering that he got multiple cameos in the Mario movie.

Back
Top Bottom