• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Happy MAR10 Day 2022!

VolcanicDynamo

1-Up Boy
Pronouns
He/Him
MAR10-DAY-DEALS-e1646796998542.png

It's around midnight here in my time zone, meaning that it is now March 10th, meaning that it's now MAR10 Day! Coined because Mar 10 looks kinda like Mario, Nintendo has taken up the day as an excuse to celebrate their mascot. Typically a selection of Mario games go on sale at the eShop and at various retailers, and this year is no different - check out the Deals thread all about it:

As for other announcements, LEGO is planning on a sale of their LEGO Mario line, and if a certain thread about Peach's hair didn't tip you off, there's a new announcement that got leaked early...

Peach-Castle-Lego---via-Nintendo-Life.jpg

It's a LEGO Peach in the same vein as LEGO Mario and Luigi! And a new Peach's castle set which I am absolutely going to buy.

EDIT: We have an official announcement! LEGO Peach and a variety of new sets are being released on August 1st.

The Japanese Nintendo website goes into more detail about the upcoming sets. I love the Peach's Castle themed sets as well as Yoshi's House! And LEGO Cat Peach!! I love her!!

People are also expecting a trailer for the Super Mario movie, though nothing is confirmed there. If it is, there will surely be discussion of it here on Fami.

Of course, the best part of MAR10 Day is the fan work. The deluge of new Mario art is my favorite part of the day, to be honest.

So share the fan art you find, discuss our favorite plumber and his friends, maybe play a Mario game to celebrate, and have a happy MAR10 Day!

Last edited:
It's been Mar10 Day all day; almost 4 PM now!

Nintendo are waiting until 11 PM JST to celebrate, though.

We haven't had a full, new major Mario platformer in forever

C'mon Nintendo, hit us with the good stuff. Bowser's Fury was a neat appetizer, where's the main course?
It has to be this year ahead of the Mario movie. The gap between releases is too big now for something not to come soon.

We haven't had a full, new major Mario platformer in forever

C'mon Nintendo, hit us with the good stuff. Bowser's Fury was a neat appetizer, where's the main course?
It has to be this year ahead of the Mario movie. The gap between releases is too big now for something not to come soon.
I really wonder what's gonna come next. A 3D Mario? A 2D Mario? It can go either way, and it's not even clear that it'll be coming in 2022. Either way I'm clamoring for more.

Happy Mario Day! It's a good day to replay one of Mario's finest adventures, Super Mario Land!

Pionpiartwork.png
Anything for our neglected friend Pionpi.

I really wonder what's gonna come next. A 3D Mario? A 2D Mario? It can go either way, and it's not even clear that it'll be coming in 2022. Either way I'm clamoring for more.

Anything for our neglected friend Pionpi.
Yeah Iā€™m 50/50 on what lands first or if itā€™s some kind of hybrid. 2D has huge appeal, but I think that team is probably the Mario Maker team which came after Odyssey. Either way, a new Mario platformer is inevitable which is super exciting :)

With 3D All-Stars and 3D World + Bowser's Fury released in a short time frame, I'm not convinced a new 3D Mario is an inevitability anytime soon. That is a fairly saturated market on the Switch. I could feasibly see a new 2D Mario, but even that I think is not too likely.

With 3D All-Stars and 3D World + Bowser's Fury released in a short time frame, I'm not convinced a new 3D Mario is an inevitability anytime soon. That is a fairly saturated market on the Switch. I could feasibly see a new 2D Mario, but even that I think is not too likely.
The dedicated teams didnā€™t handle that game though.

The dedicated teams didnā€™t handle that game though.
We don't know what they are working on, if it is coming out this year, or if it is even going to be a Mario game. It could be like the Mario Kart team going to make ARMS, could be something else, could be a 3D Mario that won't make it until 2023, just a lot of uncertain factors right now.

Iā€™ve been wanting a 2D Mario game solely to see how it does in todays market.

I feel like it would sell more then a 3D Mario game buy maybe not? I donā€™t know is fascinating to me. Seems like Mario is getting games for every Genre except that the ones heā€™s most Famous for.

Of course, the best part of MAR10 Day is the fan work. The deluge of new Mario art is my favorite part of the day, to be honest.

All the great Mario fan art just makes me want a Mario cartoon. Sonic keeps getting new TV series but Mario hasnā€™t had one since the 90s. Many characters are unexplored and I donā€™t know if this movie is the best place to do that. But hopefully the movie is a sign of more to come.

I feel like it would sell more then a 3D Mario game buy maybe not? I donā€™t know is fascinating to me. Seems like Mario is getting games for every Genre except that the ones heā€™s most Famous for.
That just sounds like the GameCube era. Between 64 and NSMB, we had Mario Sunshine, the Mario portable ports (which, to be fair, were the 2D Mario games of my childhood!), and a whole lot of spinoffs. It's a time with a lot of character, but not a lot of new platformers.
All the great Mario fan art just makes me want a Mario cartoon. Sonic keeps getting new TV series but Mario hasnā€™t had one since the 90s. Many characters are unexplored and I donā€™t know if this movie is the best place to do that. But hopefully the movie is a sign of more to come.
I would honestly take a Mario cartoon series over a movie. You could go in lots of directions. 7 minutes shorts like the new Mickey or Looney Tunes shorts, 11 minute action/comedy stuff ala modern Cartoon Network, even full 22 minute action/adventure cartoons could work with the right team.

I would honestly take a Mario cartoon series over a movie. You could go in lots of directions. 7 minutes shorts like the new Mickey or Looney Tunes shorts, 11 minute action/comedy stuff ala modern Cartoon Network, even full 22 minute action/adventure cartoons could work with the right team.
I always thought Steven Universe provided a really good template for what a modern Mario cartoon could look like. Start out with a bunch of fun, episodic 11 minute stories, while slowly building up the characters, plot and lore, and having it become more serialized and entangled as it goes on, while still having a good balance of humor and heart.

It really depends I think. I feel like the NSMB brand has definitely reached peak saturation, given that NSMBDS and NSMBW both sold 30 million and NSMBUDX is gonna only sell about half that lifetime. A brand new style of 2D Mario would do really well, but I couldn't tell you for certain if it could beat Mario Odyssey.

I always thought Steven Universe provided a really good template for what a modern Mario cartoon could look like. Start out with a bunch of fun, episodic 11 minute stories, while slowly building up the characters, plot and lore, and having it become more serialized and entangled as it goes on, while still having a good balance of humor and heart.
You, my friend, have great ideas and exquisite taste. I'd watch the hell outta that show.

I could see it working; would be greatly preferrable to the film if it had the right staff behind it.

This is just making me think about how much we lost by NCL not approving of Ian Flynn's pitch for a Mario comic. At least Super Mario Adventures will always be there as a decent Mario story told in serialized comic format...

I could see it working; would be greatly preferrable to the film if it had the right staff behind it.

This is just making me think about how much we lost by NCL not approving of Ian Flynn's pitch for a Mario comic. At least Super Mario Adventures will always be there as a decent Mario story told in serialized comic format...

I hate that I now know this exists. Iā€™m not a huge comic book fan but a Mario comic would have been awesome. And of course NCL higher-ups are the party poopers.

Itā€™s why Iā€™m grateful for the movie even though itā€™s going to suck. Thereā€™s a Mario project in production with unorthodox stuff like Donkey Kong characters and Foreman Spike and Nintendo didnā€™t turn it down.

I usually don't care much about corporate made up celebration days like May 4th (despite being a Star Wars fan), but Mar10 is a bit different to me, since Mario is much more than just a character to me.. he (his games, franchise) got me through a lot of stuff and opened opportunities to me like writing for Reino do Cogumelo for a couple of years; I made wonderful friends and also helped stabilished what I call the quintessential video game genre (platformers, of course);

Also, funny little thing.. my dad's birthday is March 11th, and he looks like Mario (superficially), so I like to make the correlation!

Don't know if Nintendo will do something special today (I'm dreading on the Illumination movie, I'm not sure if I'm ready to see a trailer...), but I'll make sure to play some Mario games today!

Happy Mar10 Day to y'all (and me)
Just bought Super Mario 3D world and hope Im gonna love it. I loved 3d Land but for a few reason world just never looked as good to me.
Also I always hated Mario goofy ass running animation in this game (That's Luigi shit)

Is Paper Mario on sales too? Anywhere?

Happy Mar10 Day to y'all (and me)
Just bought Super Mario 3D world and hope Im gonna love it. I loved 3d Land but for a few reason world just never looked as good to me.
Also I always hated Mario goofy ass running animation in this game (That's Luigi shit)

Is Paper Mario on sales too? Anywhere?

it's my second favorite 3d mario behind galaxy 2, enjoy!

I'm ready for a twitter-dropped trailer for Odyssey 2 on Twitter, trailer for the Mario Movie and eshop drop of Thousand Year Door HD!

Got Yoshi's Crated World for like 30 euros through the us eshop store and so far actually a very good game imo. The first few levels were a bit simple but the game opens up alot after that. Shame i wrote off this game before because the demo focuses on those first few levels.

Funnily enough can play the american digital game in dutch lol. Glad they finally made that system language based digital wise atleast.

Got Yoshi's Crated World for like 30 euros through the us eshop store and so far actually a very good game imo. The first few levels were a bit simple but the game opens up alot after that. Shame i wrote off this game before because the demo focuses on those first few levels.

Funnily enough can play the american digital game in dutch lol. Glad they finally made that system language based digital wise atleast.
It gets sooo much better as it goes on. Some really imaginative levels in there. Enjoy!

It gets sooo much better as it goes on. Some really imaginative levels in there. Enjoy!
Thanks! That sounds amazing šŸ‘€ so far it's indeed like that. Also love the backwards levels where u rescue the poochies! Going from right to left is cool!

Since my family found out about Mar10 day, they like to joke that that's why I've always liked Nintendo so much (it's my birthday).

I think I might treat myself to Kart since it's on sale. I had held off since I had my fill with the Wii U one, but the extra tracks are going to pull me back in I think...

Ah, what could have been. Super Mario Adventures is one of my favorite pieces of Mario media ever, so I would have loved for a chance to see more serialized Mario storytelling, but that clearly wasn't in the interest of NCL. It still might not be, arguably, even with the movie. Doesn't help that 2011-2013, right in the height of the NSMB brand control, might have been the worst time to pitch an original storyline/adaptation of Mario.

This is actually the first time I'm reading the synopsis of the pitch instead of just seeing the art. For a more action-packed or dramatic retelling of Mario 1, I think it hits a solid set of beats with Mario and Luigi's characters. Probably would've hit similar beats if I was writing it! Would've been interesting to see them fleshed out from there. I find it interesting that Flynn says that if he wrote the story today, he would've handed it differently - "too much drama, not enough whimsy," in his own words. I like his original pitch but I don't think he's necessarily wrong, either - a lighthearted tone with occasional dramatic moments fits the Mario franchise better, so long as it stays earnest.

I do think it's fortunate that Ian Flynn got to keep working on Sonic. He gets that franchise and its characters really well, and it's about time that he's been given a chance to write for the games, too. With the uneven quality of the games contrasted with the generally higher quality of the expanded media (meanwhile, Mario games are still good), I'm okay letting Sonic fans take the W on that one.

I should know, I'm one of them. Where's my Mania 2, SEGA???
I usually don't care much about corporate made up celebration days like May 4th (despite being a Star Wars fan), but Mar10 is a bit different to me, since Mario is much more than just a character to me.. he (his games, franchise) got me through a lot of stuff and opened opportunities to me like writing for Reino do Cogumelo for a couple of years; I made wonderful friends and also helped stabilished what I call the quintessential video game genre (platformers, of course);

Also, funny little thing.. my dad's birthday is March 11th, and he looks like Mario (superficially), so I like to make the correlation!

Don't know if Nintendo will do something special today (I'm dreading on the Illumination movie, I'm not sure if I'm ready to see a trailer...), but I'll make sure to play some Mario games today!
Yeah, for me these kinda celebrations are always more than just the corporate stuff. Any company can say "This day is X Day!" and focus their marketing on that, big deal. But getting an excuse to talk about the things you love, share fan work, and just have a good time? Yeah, I love that stuff.
Lego Peach announcement has gone live on Nintendo's Japanese website. 6 new sets revealed.

Link to story
Oh my gosh, these look so good. I'm gonna be buying at least three of those sets on top of the starter set. I love how the Peach's Castle themed sets (and technically Yoshi's House, too) are evocative of Mario Odyssey's Mushroom Kingdom. The Goomba in the cake is hilarious, I love it.

44556_06.jpg

LEGO Cat Peach!! I love her!! My partner is gonna freak out!!
Since my family found out about Mar10 day, they like to joke that that's why I've always liked Nintendo so much (it's my birthday).

I think I might treat myself to Kart since it's on sale. I had held off since I had my fill with the Wii U one, but the extra tracks are going to pull me back in I think...
Happy Birthday!

Last edited:
Happy Mario Day everybody, I have always loved the partner portraits from the first Paper Mario.
c683462154683905dc53cbb47e7937c5.png
I agree, these are lovely. They perfectly showcase the warm, fuzzy feeling that the first Paper Mario gives me. I really need to replay it. It's been almost 9 years at this point - last time I played through it I was about to graduate from high school...

Super Nintendo World opening at Universal Studios Hollywood in 2023. A Mario pop-up store seems to be happening at Universal Hollywood soon too.

Wow, really cool to hear! It might not be the whole world, but it's still cool that it'll be here sooner rather than later. Epic Universe can't come soon enough.

...that being said, you know, right before the pandemic, I actually won a trip to USJ. That big "Super Nintendo World Challenge" thing they held at Grand Central? Went there before work, thought it would be fun. Happened to win the second of eight grand prizes. Really great day! Back then, the trip was planned for Summer 2020.

It is now two years later and I have no idea when the trip will be. And if we have Super Nintendo World in the US before I can go to Japan to see Super Nintendo World for myself, I'm gonna flip. No disrespect to the contest runners, though - they're still honoring the trip and intend to give it to me as soon as they can, and even offered to let me take the cash value of the trip (at this point in my life, the trip would be worth more for me than the money, tbh). More so grumping at the state of the world, haha.

Wow, really cool to hear! It might not be the whole world, but it's still cool that it'll be here sooner rather than later. Epic Universe can't come soon enough.

...that being said, you know, right before the pandemic, I actually won a trip to USJ. That big "Super Nintendo World Challenge" thing they held at Grand Central? Went there before work, thought it would be fun. Happened to win the second of eight grand prizes. Really great day! Back then, the trip was planned for Summer 2020.

It is now two years later and I have no idea when the trip will be. And if we have Super Nintendo World in the US before I can go to Japan to see Super Nintendo World for myself, I'm gonna flip. No disrespect to the contest runners, though - they're still honoring the trip and intend to give it to me as soon as they can, and even offered to let me take the cash value of the trip (at this point in my life, the trip would be worth more for me than the money, tbh). More so grumping at the state of the world, haha.

Wow, that sucks to hear. I remember them holding that contest in New York before the pandemic happened. Hopefully Japan reopens their borders for tourists in the next 12 months so that you can go there! I think for me it's starting to get so close to Hollywood that I'll just wait for SNW to open here. (Though I wouldve gone to Japan had COVID not happened.)

Wow, that sucks to hear. I remember them holding that contest in New York before the pandemic happened. Hopefully Japan reopens their borders for tourists in the next 12 months so that you can go there! I think for me it's starting to get so close to Hollywood that I'll just wait for SNW to open here. (Though I wouldve gone to Japan had COVID not happened.)
Here's hoping! My ideal time frame would be for them to open back up in the summer for a nice vacation, but I also don't want to speed run the pandemic, lol. Anything to keep people safe!

I do want to go to USH at some point, but if I can get the Japan trip, I'll probably just wait for Epic Universe. I also just think that it's super exciting to get a chance to go to another country. I've never left the United States, and I don't know if I'd ever get an opportunity otherwise to go to Japan. Osaka is a beautiful city and I'm excited to see more of it when my partner and I eventually go.

Starting to feel like we aren't getting news on the Mario movie today. Guess E3/June Direct it is?

I'm just glad we finally got news on SNW coming to Universal Studios Hollywood.

Back
Top Bottom