• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Event Happy 30th Birthday Final Fantasy VI! | Finest Fantasy

shoptroll

Yoshi
Pronouns
he/him
(This is another "hastily thrown together" shoptroll special. I'll try and fill this out more later in the week)

Today, 4/2, marks the 30th anniversary of the Japanese release of the undeniable apex of the Final Fantasy series (and quite possibly one of the best dang games made by Squaresoft): Final Fantasy VI. Let's use this thread as a place to celebrate and reminisce about this seminal title for many of us.

What are your memories of this game and/or the days leading up to release? Have you played any of the re-releases? How about any of the ROM hacks like T-Edition? Is this your first time hearing about this?

Dare I ask this: Where do you rank it in the pantheon of Final Fantasy? Or in the genre itself?

Final Fantasy VI is one of my favorite games of all time and still my all time favorite Final Fantasy game. It, Chrono Trigger, and Super Mario RPG cemented a life long love of RPGs for me. Sabin, Cyan, Mog, and Gogo are my dream team. I hope one day the original SNES version becomes readily available again. I replayed it again two years ago and it absolutely holds up.

Best Final Fantasy ever.

For the birthday, my wish for it is to never be touched by anyone of the current heads and creatives in charge of the Final Fantasy series.

@Yamanoi
fKrQSYA.png

Fantastic video game

I received a physical copy of this game from a friend some 10 years ago - I still havnt played it
I bought the Pixel Remaster collection last year - I still havnt played it.

I dont know why I havn't played it yet, I really should set that as a goal for 2024 - Play Final Fantasy 6

Def one of the best in the genre and in my personal series top 3 alongside IX and XII. I started a save in the Pixel Remaster recently though I'm not sure when I will get around to playing it again.

GOAT Final Fantasy. First played this on Final Fantasy Anthology on PS1. Like with other SNES ports to PS1, it wasn't the ideal circumstances but it's what was available to me. The PS2 was already out by the time I was into Final Fantasy. Still had a wonderful time. I also got the GBA version when that came out. Last time I played it was on the SNES Classic back in 2017 or 2018. Looking forward to reexperiencing it in the Pixel Remaster.

FFVI is still one of favorites and whils my feelings tend to shift on a given day these days, it unquestionably ranked as my personal favorite FF (and favorite game in general) for many years. I played it back on the SNES after receiving it as a Christmas gift, and put dozens and dozens of hours into it across multiple playhroughs.

It really was a chill out game to me in some ways, too. This was back in the day when I could just spend hours grinding levels not because I needed to, but because I had the time to just do it. The first time I beat FFVI, I took the time to teach every single one of my party members Ultima before storming the final dungeon and nuking Kefka's ass into orbit.

As I got older and was able to play more games, my feelings for FFVI didn't worsen, but did shift in the context of that wider experience. It's a game that's very much of its time, but has also in most ways remained timeless to me.

I played it for the first time (via the Switch Pixel Remaster with classic font, original music, and some Boosts to ease grinding) towards the end of last year. It's one of only a few mainline Final Fantasy games I've played. I enjoyed it, but I think the hype and cultural popularity spoiled the experience a bit for me, just like when I played FFVII for the first time a few years ago. I already knew about many of the coolest and most surprising moments, and leaning on a guide to ensure I wasn't missing anything major also got in the way of my fun a bit. I was impressed by the scale and ambition of the game and its narrative, and its music still hit hard. Overall, though, I enjoyed the Super Mario RPG remake that I played immediately after more. Had I played this game 30 years ago, I imagine it'd have been much more personally impactful.

Last edited:
Absolutely spectacular stuff and my second favourite Final Fantasy game after IX.

Just all-across-the-board effortless brilliance. Great cast. Awesome plot. Fantastic pacing. Intriguing world. Great combat system. Fantastic villain. Amazing ending.

And god-tier music.

Still one of the greatest RPG of that system. I had to finish it by renting it during weekends since SNES games were expensive here. Fortunately, the only other guy who rented it was cool, so we respected our saved files, and we didn't have to worry someone else was going to play it since not many kids knew English.

This is probably my biggest blind spot on the SNES. I've at least tried probably every other classic on the system at this point, so my "backlog" is mostly a bunch of obscure Japan-only games and also Final Fantasy VI is there. At least part of that is wondering what version to even play. Really do not like Ted Woolsey's localizations, so I wouldn't want to just go with the original Final Fantasy III English version.

(This is another "hastily thrown together" shoptroll special. I'll try and fill this out more later in the week)

Today, 4/2, marks the 30th anniversary of the Japanese release of the undeniable apex of the Final Fantasy series (and quite possibly one of the best dang games made by Squaresoft): Final Fantasy VI. Let's use this thread as a place to celebrate and reminisce about this seminal title for many of us.

What are your memories of this game and/or the days leading up to release? Have you played any of the re-releases? How about any of the ROM hacks like T-Edition? Is this your first time hearing about this?

Dare I ask this: Where do you rank it in the pantheon of Final Fantasy? Or in the genre itself?

Is my #1 on rankings for Final Fantasy and one of my top 5 games of all time. While I adore the PS1 era of Final Fantasy also, 6 came out in a pivotal time of my life and left a marking impression that will never leave.

I truly wish we would get a full-blown remake, but I've accepted that may never happen. The music from 6 still brings tears to my eyes when I listen to it.

One cannot post about an absolute masterpiece like FFVI and not post its intro which floored me when it released on SNES. I literallt thought games couldn't get any more realistic lol

It’s top 3 in the series alongside X and now Rebirth for me. Just started a replay right now, oddly enough.

No memories leading up to release because I requested mostly bad games pre-1998 and never heard of the game until EGM’s Top 100. My favorite memory was probably beating Kefka or waking up as Celes in the World of Ruin. Otherwise, I practically begged a classmate in high school to let me borrow the game. Then, maybe a year later, I ended up getting it from a small video rental shop in my hometown that was closing up in a Buy 3 for $20 sale (or $7 each). Final Fantasy III, Super Metroid, and The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past all complete in box for $20 is easily the best video game deal I’ve ever received. The old shop owner also had Final Fantasy II CIB, but the cartridge always froze in the same spot so I passed on it. I always wondered if it could have been fixed.

I have Final Fantasy VI Advance which I snagged when Game Crazy was closing.

I have not played the T-Edition. I’ve heard of it.

I’ve only completed three mainline Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy VI or IX is my favorite depending on the day. I rank them pretty highly in terms of RPGs. I don’t have the bandwidth right now to consider a full ranking. My gut is telling me between Chrono Trigger and Skies of Arcadia Legends.

I still haven’t finished this but I bought the pixel remaster on sale lately so I’m hoping I can do it soon. FF backlog is one of my white whales as I’ve only played a few of the games but I’ve loved just about all of them.

Incredible game. Has aged like fine wine.

Not played any Romhacks (Brave New World, T-Edition, the randomised whose name escapes me right now). Don't think I will tbh, since it was the story and world that drew me into the game.

Finest Fantasy for Advance, too. I've got a repro cartridge that "fixes" the sound and color scheme to a large degree for the GBA version. Love it, love it.

Not quite my favorite Final Fantasy, but then, Final Fantasy is right up there with Star Trek as my two favorite franchises. So... yeah. Still incredible, still blows me away.

Finest Fantasy for Advance, too. I've got a repro cartridge that "fixes" the sound and color scheme to a large degree for the GBA version. Love it, love it.

Not quite my favorite Final Fantasy, but then, Final Fantasy is right up there with Star Trek as my two favorite franchises. So... yeah. Still incredible, still blows me away.
I consider a sound patch a must for the GBA version. I mean, just listen to this:

Look-at-how-they-massacred-my-boy-meme-6.jpg

I don't play a lot of mainline Final Fantasy but VI stuck with me. Especially the music.
Once in a while, I still go back to its OST. The extra long orchestrated ending is GOAT.

One day, I hope to get my hands on a physical copy of the game. Ideally, the GBA version.

My second favorite game in the series, right behind IX. Played it for the fist time last year and was blown away. Such a huge cast of great characters is extremely hard to pull off. I got more emotion out of those little pixels than the majority of modern, fully animated cutscenes.

Very fine game. Only FF5 beats it in my eyes, as far as mainline games go.

Also, I loved how, so many years after the fact, Dissidia Opera Omni seemingly resolved the matter of General Leo being definitely a dark-skinned man, as Amano intended.

leo.7740a84.png

Man, oh man...I can't tell you how many DINOSAURS I KILLED, in the vain hope that...you could bring this dude back to life.

Completely by coincidence, I dug out my SNES classic just to play this on (in a very, very distant way...) something resembling the original hardware for the first time. Weird timing...

It's not my personal favorite (XIV my beloved... An even on the SNES, I have a very very soft spot for IV), but I do think that it's probably the very best one.

It's especially crazy playing it coming from V. They cranked up the ambition so much, it's incredible. It could have released as is in the Playstation era, it would still have been incredibly good and memorable.

Played it for the first time a couple years ago, the first Final Fantasy I've ever played. And for important classic games, I make sure to play them in their classic form:

Great atmosphere. One or two unfairly hard parts, but otherwise nice difficulty curve. Insane how they made a 16-bit game so cinematic, real late-generation vibes. Glaring weak point was how most towns are clones.

And of course, excellent soundtrack:

Back
Top Bottom