• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Halo & Halo Infinite: A Lozjam Review

Lozjam

Don't Forget Me
Pronouns
He/Him
So, as many of you recently have found out, I have gotten an Xbox Series S for an early Christmas present and have been loving it. Now, there has always been a big blindspot in my catalog, and it has always been halo. I played through a lot of it with a family friend eons back, and I was absolutely awful!

But now, I am much better at shooters, and that's pretty great. So it's about time I took along at both the first game in the series, and the last game. I wanted this to be a full retrospective.... But you know.... Time.

I don't have much nostalgia for the series, so it will be interesting to see how I feel these games stack up.

Halo: Combat Evolved is so retro..... And it's rad as hell. I played this with my wife actually, and it was so much fun!

You get to blast through goons left and right, and overall the pacing is just amazing. You are constantly discovering new weapons, vehicles, and enemies. It's just.... Perfect. You get so much variety in mission types, the story is great, and the graphics are still fantastic(I prefer the original graphics to the anniversary edition).

Now, this is really old school, in that the game will let you wander around, not knowing where to go like an idiot at times. But overall, the maps are so distinct, and interesting, it's a bit harder to get lost.

Overall, I don't really have much to say, other than it's an amazing game, and that everyone was right about this one. It and the whole anniversary package are worth easily $60 for the campaigns alone. They are even cheaper then that nowadays, and you also have gamepass. Halo 1 is absolutely worth your time, and it's a timeless retro masterpiece.

Now, let's talk about Halo Infinite. Now, the reaction to Halo Infinite is very perplexing to me. I can only guess its because Halo 4&5 had to be that bad. But I am perplexed how many people think this game is a masterpiece.

Of course, the shooting and taking out the enemies and moving, the grapple hook. It's very solid and fun. They nailed the moment to moment gameplay, and it's a clear evolution of original.

But man this game is super repetitive, it doesn't really give you any semblance of good pacing, and it is absurdly awful in the graphics and world design.

Let's talk about the graphics and world Design. It's kind of not good. I mean, technically it's fine, and there aren't too many problems. But man, the lack of distinct areas really kills so much of the game for me. Like, we know they have all sorts of sand based assets too.... Why did literally the entire world have to be "pine tree forests" or metal forerunner spires.

Enemy placements are consistently reused between the campaign and the open world. And the game doesn't really connect the two well either. Its basically, either the campaign, or the open world. There is one key exception which is my favorite mission in the game, where you pelican breaks down and crashes. But overall, it's either narrow hallways just busting down enemies(no vehicles or anything), or it's open world checklists. This absolutely made me disappointed in the game. Also, the game keeps you gated from the open world, probably for the last 1/3rd of the game.

Bosses also don't really have a sweetspot for me. They are either altogether too hard, or way too easy. Sometimes both at the same time.

I don't know, I know that this is a bit long in the tooth for an OP. But I don't think Halo Infinite is as amazing as others think. I certainly had fun with the game! But it sort of feels empty for me. There's both way better open world shooters, and linear shooters too. It certainly feels unfinished, but it's clear that the game isn't over yet. They clearly plan on adding more. I think this game needed co op on launch though. I may have enjoyed it so much more then.

Is Halo Infinite worth $60 though? Absolutely not. However, it is worth it with Gamepass, and it was a really fun time, even though it disappointed me.

I’m pretty much with you 100%. CE holds up mostly well, especially in co-op. Infinite, on the other hand, is something of a slog. I loved the first two hours, and then I realized during the third hour that I had pretty much seen everything the game has to offer. I do enjoy the multiplayer, though, and I will keep that installed on my SSD for some time.

Back
Top Bottom