• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion GTAVI And Switch 2 Possibly Both In 2024 ... Is It Finally Time?

Machrider

Paratroopa
The buzz out there of course is that GTA VI may be coming in 2024/fiscal YE 2025 ... and there's a lot pointing to Switch 2 being a 2024 launch too.

Is it finally time for a new Nintendo console to have the latest GTA launch on it for the first time ever?

Certainly I think it would sell pretty good, obviously not to the extent of the PS5 version, but I think there's a lot of people that would want to play it on Switch 2.

I doubt it, I would be absolutely floored. GTAV is on pretty much everything and could easily run on Switch and make them some money, nowhere to be seen.

I doubt it, I would be absolutely floored. GTAV is on pretty much everything and could easily run on Switch and make them some money, nowhere to be seen.

I think the problem there is GTAV Online can't run on Switch and Take 2 wants to channel people into paying for that so it makes a Switch port less attractive to them.

They have been developing it for like 10 years now. I think they aimed it for high end consoles. The Switch 2 might be an option but I think they want to keep it on the high end of things and not worry about the Switch 2 specs.

If DLSS is really on Switch 2 then they can maybe make it happen. Don't really know how ambitious this game is, but if it run on Series S then it might also run on Switch 2, unless Switch 2 end up being not as powerful as expected. (let me cope)

Absolutely not going to be day and date with the other releases. I would be very surprised if so though.

Plus the only Rockstar games released on this Switch are remasters by other studios. I just don't have confidence in them doing it tbh.

They made a few Nintendo exclusives in the past and stopped when their titles were bigger than what a Nintendo could handle, depends on the specs of the console I'd say.

This is the most hyped game ever, they will want to put it everywhere they can

Nintendo needs to foot the bill as Take Two is unlikely to bring GTA6 on their own. Luckily that's what Nintendo actually did, published the physical version of the Definitive Trilogy of Switch. They ARE willing to pay money to make GTA on Nintendo a thing.

Nintendo needs to foot the bill as Take Two is unlikely to bring GTA6 on their own. Luckily that's what Nintendo actually did, published the physical version of the Definitive Trilogy of Switch. They ARE willing to pay money to make GTA on Nintendo a thing.

Yeah maybe they could just offer to pay the bill on the port. How much could that really cost a few million? Not a lot of money for Nintendo. I didn't realize they published the physical version of Trilogy on Switch. That's actually kind of a big thing. Maybe that is kind of Nintendo setting up a relationship for GTA VI.

Last edited:
Switch 2 port coming a year after the PC port (which will be two years after PS5/XSX/XSS)

Like I said Nintendo should just pay for the bill of a port if need be.

Maybe that's what they're doing, establishing a relationship with Rockstar/Take 2 by published GTA Trilogy on Switch previously.

They could publish GTA VI on Switch.

I hope so. Take2 has been big supporters of Nintendo and they own Rockstar. It would be the perfect 3rd party open world launch game for the Switch2,

You would need DLSS and a miracle for this game to run on Switch 2. I'm confident it's going to struggle to hit 30fps on the Series X/PS5 unless they put native res down to 1080p, Switch 2 will be almost impossible unless it's cloud.

You would need DLSS and a miracle for this game to run on Switch 2. I'm confident it's going to struggle to hit 30fps on the Series X/PS5 unless they put native res down to 1080p, Switch 2 will be almost impossible unless it's cloud.
I don't think they'd downport this one. For any other game, downporting is the best and cheapest way to go but GTA is not any other game, it has a potential to be bigger than any other third party content on the next console. Those broken GTA remasters chart whenever there's a sale, even for the smallest one. It's worth every penny to create a separate Switch 2 build of the game, both Nintendo's and Take Two's. GTA6 could be Switch 2's "showcase third party game" just like Skyrim and Doom were for Switch 1.

No, it won't. GTA V is a PS360 game, I'm pretty sure the PS4/XBO version could get down ported with minimal effort (I mean look at Skyrim, Switch got a downport of the Anniversary Edition that's very close to PS4/XBO). The 360 version was about 18gb too, and we got actual PS4/XBO open world games that are more demanding ported over and compressed(Witcher 3 was 16bg iirc).

If they really wanted, they'd have made either an enhanced port of PS360 version or a down port of PS4/XBO version of GTA V. They had 6 years to think about it, and ultimately didn't. And that's with Switch being the most successful console ever since PS2/DS madness. And with third party games selling huge amounts on it to even justify way more expensive porting efforts.

I don't think anything points towards GTA VI being a non-next gen exclusive. Switch 2 will come, and will probably be capable of running a downport of it. But it'll probably be 100-150gb game on all platforms, and they won't bother compressing it for a 32gb card. They didn't bother to port their most successful game they released on every potato possible to the most successful console in the market. They won't use time and resources for a Switch 2 downport of what's likely to be the most expensive game ever made already, and that they'll aim to be an actual impressive next gen experience.

I think the problem there is GTAV Online can't run on Switch and Take 2 wants to channel people into paying for that so it makes a Switch port less attractive to them.
Why exactly can't GTA V Online run on Switch? I'm pretty sure they could make it work if they wanted.
Like I said Nintendo should just pay for the bill of a port if need be.

Maybe that's what they're doing, establishing a relationship with Rockstar/Take 2 by published GTA Trilogy on Switch previously.

They could publish GTA VI on Switch.
Pay the bill for companies like Capcom to release MHR as a timed exclusive, to EA to make a built of FIFA that's also on PS360 and giving funds to make a game that could easily get ported to be ported(Skyrim) is nowhere near paying the bill of making another build for what's likely to be the most expensive game ever.
They didn't publish GTA Trilogy, they distributed the physical copies. Rockstar was still the publisher. And that's because they wouldn't care to make a physical version and because that remaster was made in a super short time aiming for mobile. GTA VI is on a whole other league. Nintendo would never publish it, Rockstar wouldn't want to lose a penny.
I don't think they'd downport this one. For any other game, downporting is the best and cheapest way to go but GTA is not any other game, it has a potential to be bigger than any other third party content on the next console. Those broken GTA remasters chart whenever there's a sale, even for the smallest one. It's worth every penny to create a separate Switch 2 build of the game, both Nintendo's and Take Two's. GTA6 could be Switch 2's "showcase third party game" just like Skyrim and Doom were for Switch 1.
Skyrim was a PS360 game that got a remaster - said remaster was downported to Switch. GTA V was in the same situation and didn't. And obviously it wasn't because Nintendo wouldn't want it.
I think people really are underestimating how much money Nintendo would have to throw for something like this. Skyrim remaster only needed some cuts to run and look amazingly. A game aimed from the inception to be a showcase for PS5/XBOX Series wouldn't be in the same situation. Not even close to that. Rockstar wouldn't be satisfied with "small" quantities of money.
If we rely on Nintendo only to pay for a port to be made with another build of the game, they'd be paying about the same as what it takes for them to make a first party game.
Yeah, I'm in the same league. People are very spoiled with all those 60FPS games and games with 120FPS options that have released from 2020 up until now because the vast majority of those were aiming at PS4/XBO and got super better on the new machines. A game being developed forever on high end PCs and always meant to be next gen only won't have that advantage. Will be like GTA V, have a definitive version when PS6 comes out lmao. Or maybe it'll be 60FPS on the Pros coming.

No, it won't. GTA V is a PS360 game, I'm pretty sure the PS4/XBO version could get down ported with minimal effort (I mean look at Skyrim, Switch got a downport of the Anniversary Edition that's very close to PS4/XBO). The 360 version was about 18gb too, and we got actual PS4/XBO open world games that are more demanding ported over and compressed(Witcher 3 was 16bg iirc).

If they really wanted, they'd have made either an enhanced port of PS360 version or a down port of PS4/XBO version of GTA V. They had 6 years to think about it, and ultimately didn't. And that's with Switch being the most successful console ever since PS2/DS madness. And with third party games selling huge amounts on it to even justify way more expensive porting efforts.

I don't think anything points towards GTA VI being a non-next gen exclusive. Switch 2 will come, and will probably be capable of running a downport of it. But it'll probably be 100-150gb game on all platforms, and they won't bother compressing it for a 32gb card. They didn't bother to port their most successful game they released on every potato possible to the most successful console in the market. They won't use time and resources for a Switch 2 downport of what's likely to be the most expensive game ever made already, and that they'll aim to be an actual impressive next gen experience.

32GB cart + rest being downloaded I think will work fine. Switch 2 probably will have more storage to begin with (128GB?), but SD Cards are cheaper and bigger than 6 years ago.

Switch 2 has considerable more catchet this time too since the predecessor is such a huge, huge success and Nintendo is dominating pop culture right now too (Mario movie, Zelda: TotK), I think Nintendo is seen in a different light now, I think devs with a big game around the same time as this hardware launching will take a more serious look at it.

32GB cart + rest being downloaded I think will work fine. Switch 2 probably will have more storage to begin with (128GB?), but SD Cards are cheaper and bigger than 6 years ago.

Switch 2 has considerable more catchet this time too since the predecessor is such a huge, huge success and Nintendo is dominating pop culture right now too (Mario movie, Zelda: TotK), I think Nintendo is seen in a different light now, I think devs with a big game around the same time as this hardware launching will take a more serious look at it.
I mean, they could've done a 16gb card + download (like Wolfenstein II, I believe MK11, and many other games) for GTA V, and didn't. There are a handful of very successful third party games that are 30+gb(MK11, Doom Eternal). They didn't bother to compress a 40-50gb game to ~30 with GTA V. I don't believe for a second they'd make that with a 100gb+ game.

I believe that the third party support of Switch 2 won't be marginally different than what we have now. We've got some very late to the party jumping in, but they jumped big (Monster Hunter Rise and SMT V in 2021 for example).

They had 6 years for it. If anything, 2020 proved the Switch was a money making machine, with Animal Crossing doing numbers only GTA ever did, and on a single platform. Even if they realized it that late, they could've started making a GTA V port for Switch and release alongside the next gen versions in 2022. But they didn't. I think that's pretty telling. They didn't do it with their evergreen title that they could easily get running on a platform with 100m players. I don't see them making the impossible in the launch window of the next console, with their "true next gen biggest game ever".

I mean, they could've done a 16gb card + download (like Wolfenstein II, I believe MK11, and many other games) for GTA V, and didn't. There are a handful of very successful third party games that are 30+gb(MK11, Doom Eternal). They didn't bother to compress a 40-50gb game to ~30 with GTA V. I don't believe for a second they'd make that with a 100gb+ game.

I believe that the third party support of Switch 2 won't be marginally different than what we have now. We've got some very late to the party jumping in, but they jumped big (Monster Hunter Rise and SMT V in 2021 for example).

They had 6 years for it. If anything, 2020 proved the Switch was a money making machine, with Animal Crossing doing numbers only GTA ever did, and on a single platform. Even if they realized it that late, they could've started making a GTA V port for Switch and release alongside the next gen versions in 2022. But they didn't. I think that's pretty telling. They didn't do it with their evergreen title that they could easily get running on a platform with 100m players. I don't see them making the impossible in the launch window of the next console, with their "true next gen biggest game ever".

The problem again there was GTAV Online I believe. That would be too much trouble for the Switch hardware, but Switch 2 will be much more capable and much closer likely in hardware power to at least the XBox Series S and on top of that you probably have DLSS which can significantly change the dynamics of Switch 2 ports because you don't have to render at anywhere close to the same resolution what the other consoles do.

DLSS 2.0+ can produce acceptable image quality even from as low as 480p resolution (undocked), docked could be 720p and be DLSS-ed up to 1440p or even higher. A lot of the horsepower on the high end rigs for GTAVI is likely to be from ray-tracing too (see Cyberpunk 2077) ... while that will stress next-gen consoles badly, you can turn that off for the Switch 2 version.

This is how I see it. As long as GTAO is the primary concern for the franchise going forward ;Nintendo will be left out of the conversation unless something changes in leadership or the burying habits for Nintendo change.
Nah, strongly disagree. Not sure why people talk like it's still 2003. Switch has several online f2p games, there's nothing inherently off limits about the Switch ecosystem. The only thing that will stop GTA VI on Switch 2 is technical reasons.

I actually think Nintendo distributed the physical version of GTA Trilogy to warm the relationships between the two companies for GTA VI down the line.

Why else would you do that really? Maybe Rockstar/Take 2 wasn't willing to make a port because of the cart issue but either way, Nintendo I think stepped in, likely because the want the IP on their system.

If that's the case I think Nintendo will make an effort to make sure GTA VI is on Switch 2. It would be good for both parties, lots of the more popular games like Fortnite and Minecraft do well on the Switch, GTA is basically so big it's in that grouping too, think both parties will understand it's good for both of them to have GTA VI on Switch.

I would hope it is Switch exclusive. TOTK proved that open world games sell best on Switch.

Nah, strongly disagree. Not sure why people talk like it's still 2003. Switch has several online f2p games, there's nothing inherently off limits about the Switch ecosystem. The only thing that will stop GTA VI on Switch 2 is technical reasons.
I’m not sure why we are going back to 2003 as any sort of example when F2P weren’t as commonplace as today. There is a difference between having F2P games & having an ecosystem for it. Switch does not yet have an ecosystem for it. We just saw Paladins get pulled from the system & I doubt it was for technical reasons that it was pulled. If you believed the rumour mill on GTAV it had nothing to do with technical reasons & everything to do with the online; I’m gonna hazard a guess that they specifically mean F2P spending.

GTA VI announced as a Switch 2 exclusive.

You thought the Bayonetta 2 announcement caused waves? You better hold onto your butts.

hold-onto-your-buts-butt.gif

Yup because GTA6 will be launch title for a Switch 2

Errrm... Either you haven't followed what is known from the horse's mouth, or this post smacks of Internet-armchair-developer-with-unbridled-confidence in his house of wrong, because this is wholly false. As long as XSS exists, it will get a version of this game, AND it will hold up well against PS5/XSX because we've seen how 3rdP development will play out over the course of the generation. Furthermore, we know that Microsoft will never mandate a policy which allows developers and publishers to skip it. This is no different for Rockstar, and it will be equally true for Red Dead Redemption 3. So, Now we've established there will be a version for XSS, it would be worth pointing out that the leaked GPU for the Switch's successor is actually better than the one in the XSS (1536 CUDA Cores VS 1280 shader cores, Nvidia RT VS AMD RT, DLSS/Neural Unit VS No Neural Unit). So, if it needs a miracle, then XSS would require the Lord's Work, too. That's before we get to the scalability and multiple PC performance profiles, OR the prospect of XB1/PS4 versions of this title.

Honestly? With Dan Houser now out of the picture, there is actually a decent chance now.

He was the main blocking factor preventing GTA games from previously coming to Nintendo consoles (forever bitter over how Nintendo treated him over Body Harvest); it's no coincidence that the GTA Trilogy DE came to Switch not long after he was forced out of the company in 2020 as Take Two finally wrestled control over Rockstar away from him.

The main issue that remains to be resolved however is file storage. GTA 6 is probably gonna end up being at least 100GB on the PS5/Xbox Series consoles. So if they can squeeze the game down to 64GB (assuming that the Switch 2 will support larger cartridge sizes, as you would expect from a successor), or Nintendo end up subsidising the cost of a 128GB card, it could very well actually happen.

GTA Online is over 100GB now, and that's the most important part of GTA 5 for TT/Rockstar. Squashing that and the single player game down onto a 32GB card just isn't realistic. Switch 2 will have much larger cartridge sizes available though (and hopefully we'll also have larger SD cards available by then).

Last edited:
I think if next HW specs are a very bests scenario Nintendo can push to get a GTAVI port, maybe not at launch but 1 year later.

As long as Nintendo doesn’t upgrade its disastrous online infrastructure, it isn’t happening.
Many online third party games have zero issues being on Switch, look at Fortnite, Overwatch, Apex Legends etc.
The online is bad in first party games, but that has little to do with what others do

Honestly? With Dan Houser now out of the picture, there is actually a decent chance now.

He was the main blocking factor preventing GTA games from previously coming to Nintendo consoles (forever bitter over how Nintendo treated him over Body Harvest); it's no coincidence that the GTA Trilogy DE came to Switch not long after he was forced out of the company in 2020 as Take Two finally wrestled control over Rockstar away from him.

The main issue that remains to be resolved however is file storage. GTA 6 is probably gonna end up being at least 100GB on the PS5/Xbox Series consoles. So if they can squeeze the game down to 64GB (assuming that the Switch 2 will support larger cartridge sizes, as you would expect from a successor), or Nintendo end up subsidising the cost of a 128GB card, it could very well actually happen.

GTA Online is over 100GB now, and that's the most important part of GTA 5 for TT/Rockstar. Squashing that and the single player game down onto a 32GB card just isn't realistic. Switch 2 will have much larger cartridge sizes available though (and hopefully we'll also have larger SD cards available by then).

Yeah this is a good point. Take 2 it seems always held a grudge against Nintendo going back to Body Harvest/N64 days (at one time, believe it or not, the GTA team was basically a Nintendo 2nd party developer until the relationship fell apart because Mr. Miyamoto/Nintendo was hard on them during the development on Body Harvest for N64). Maybe Houser was part of that.

Last edited:

I tried looking into the history of this, and it doesn't look like Dan Houser was involved in that game at all? According to this history of GTA, it doesn't sound like he was too involved: https://www.ign.com/articles/2008/03/28/ign-presents-the-history-of-grand-theft-auto.

It's possible that he was a barrier to Rockstar working with Nintendo, but it doesn't seem like Body Harvest was the issue. I feel like in general, it takes a village so to speak for there to be a blanket bias against a platform. Otherwise these companies just want money.

Back
Top Bottom